• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers 3DS will support the C-stick on New 3DS but NOT the Circle Pad Pro

This is complete bullshit. I bought mine a while ago to play games like MH3 but expected it to be even more supported in the future, since the new 3DS had the C nub.

Fuck Nintendo.

This sucks. From a business perspective Nintendo really wants to push the new handheld but they have kind of screwed themselves in other markets outside of Japan because of the staggered release. Who's going to buy a normal 3DS or XL now? The 3ds sales will tank over the next 6 months or so maybe even worse than Wii U. I was going to get one this fall for Smash but might as well wait.

Peltz

This is complete bullshit. I bought mine a while ago to play games like MH3 but expected it to be even more supported in the future, since the new 3DS had the C nub.

I sort of agree with this. They're basically killing off their own accessory for no reason.

Rich!

This sucks. From a business perspective Nintendo really wants to push the new handheld but they have kind of screwed themselves in other markets outside of Japan because of the staggered release. Who's going to buy a normal 3DS or XL now? The 3ds sales will tank over the next 6 months or so maybe even worse than Wii U. I was going to get one this fall for Smash but might as well wait.

You are seriously overestimating how many people are aware of the new 3DS.

DSi level upgrade my ass.

It's a Game Boy Color situation, and Nintendo are going to do everything they can to ensure that is the case and that people upgrade for the extra benefits, whether people agree with it or not.

Err... Not sure what this post has to do with the topic at all.

I'd say this situation is 100% analogous to the DSi... Pokemon Black and White, for example, made use of the DSi camera.

Rich!

Err... Not sure what this post has to do with the topic at all.

I'd say this situation is 100% analogous to the DSi... Pokemon Black and White, for example, made use of the DSi camera.

Youre comparing apples and oranges. This isnt the same, at all.

Kouichi

Well at least Monster Hunter 4 uses so my purchase wasn't completely wasted.

Still sucks though. Hope it gets patched in the future, but I doubt it.

Dizzy

Banned
Not surprised at all. Nintendo always pimps new hardware hard. Sucks that they dont deem retro 3ds owners important enough for this feature.

Youre comparing apples and oranges. This isnt the same, at all.

By all means, explain to me how you saying Smash Bros making use of one new hardware feature is different from Pokemon using one new hardware feature. Explain to me how this is too big of a difference to be DS to DSi, and can only be described as GB to GBC.

I agree it was a bad decision for Nintendo to make, but your premise seems faulty in it's comparison and more out to vent N3DS rage than anything.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ITT people are complaining about the lack of a support for an add-on that was pretty much made for one super specific game and shat on by everyone on the planet for fairly good reason.

Yeah it may have been a good way to play Smash on 3DS but real talk, the thing fucking sucks and this should surprise no one. I mean if you were Nintendo, wouldn't you be trying to get people to forget about that abomination asap? I know I would.

Edit and for folks asking for the option, no way in hell would any sane person in this day and age waste their man hours for support of a peripheral only about 20 real people use.

casmith07

This is why if I early adopt with Nintendo I'm not hard up on upgrading.

I'll keep my 3DS and XL and that'll be that. I'll buy a new handheld when it's exactly that - an all new handheld.

JoeM86

While I think this is a bad thing, I think people aren't realising that the control schemes are likely coded massively differently between the N3DS nub and the Circle Pad Pro...

Edit: Actually, I just read the Japanese. Never mind.

Though it does seem to be one way. It seems that Circle Pad Pro compatible games can be controlled with the N3DS C Stick, but N3DS C Stick games cannot be controlled with the Circle Pad Pro. This makes sense from a code and architecture standpoint when you look at it.

Yeah it may have been a good way to play Smash on 3DS but real talk, the thing fucking sucks and this should surprise no one. I mean if you were Nintendo, wouldn't you be trying to get people to forget about that abomination asap? I know I would.

Edit and for folks asking for the option, no way in hell would any sane person in this day and age waste their man hours for support of a peripheral only about 20 real people use.

If you have a company please tell me so I can avoid it.

While I think this is a bad thing, I think people aren't realising that the control schemes are likely coded massively differently between the N3DS nub and the Circle Pad Pro...

Edit: Actually, I just read the Japanese. Never mind.

Though it does seem to be one way. It seems that Circle Pad Pro compatible games can be controlled with the N3DS C Stick, but N3DS C Stick games cannot be controlled with the Circle Pad Pro. This makes sense from a code and architecture standpoint when you look at it.

If Capcom could do it with MH4U, Nintendo could've done the same.

JMTHEFOX

And I was going to get the 3DS XL with Capture Kit and the Circle Pad Pro...

This may get patched but I doubt it will happen.

Camjo-Z

By all means, explain to me how you saying Smash Bros making use of one new hardware feature is different from Pokemon using one new hardware feature.

The DS didn't have a camera add-on. The 3DS does have a second stick add-on.

This is pretty lame, hopefully enough people will complain to Nintendo for them patch in support for it.

epmode

Frankenstick makes playing your 3DS the opposite of comfortable.

And yet it's still an improvement over the garbage buttons and stick of the new 3DS.

It's amazing that Nintendo of all companies would do this. They go out of their way to support all sorts of legacy controllers for Wii U. And aren't they making an adapter for Smash Wii U to enable support for Gamecube controllers? Classy.

Pudge

Bullshit. I have big hands, and the 3DS XL on its regular size still gives me cramps. I have the Circle Pad Pro attached at almost all times just as a comfort feature, and I bought a similar grip for my Vita. You gotta give me that grip Nintendo!

Maaaaaan.....my L button is kinda fried, it works roughly 50% of the time...but the CPPs LZ worked like a charm for me in MH. I was reeeaaalllly hoping the CPP would work, so I didn't have to attempt a fix/send it in to Nintendo for repair. Now, I've procrastinated far too long, and can't send it out to get it back before launch. Plus the comfort factor, as well, will go way down now.

Majukun

and now i'm even more conviced about not buying smash bros 3ds

sorry ninty,gotta punish such scummish behavior

Why is this an issue? Few games already don't use it + using it now in SSB would be so unwieldy for a fighting game that it wouldn't be worth it.

Just buy the new console... Most 3DS owners are probs already planning on it anyway and why the hell not. Faster + more games, better sizes I'll probs be getting both of the new 3DSs just for the hell of it.

epmode

Why is this an issue?

Reread the thread.

It's OK to like a company and still call them out when they make a shitty move. There's no good reason they don't support this peripheral in a game that already uses the extra buttons.

Well, there *are* good reasons if you're Nintendo and you want people to buy a new console instead of a cheaper peripheral.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still can't believe they'd do something like this. Really shitty. I hope they patch it in.

And yet it's still an improvement over the garbage buttons and stick of the new 3DS.

It's amazing that Nintendo of all companies would do this. They go out of their way to support all sorts of legacy controllers for Wii U. And aren't they making an adapter for Smash Wii U to enable support for Gamecube controllers? Classy.

Interesting, when did they show off the device for holding?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Fuck Nintendo.

I honestly can't remember any games that came out after MH3 that did. It seemed to be released specifically for MH3 and not much else. I thought people really didn't even like it anyways?

I honestly can't remember any games that came out after MH3 that did. It seemed to be released specifically for MH3 and not much else. I thought people really didn't even like it anyways?

Steel Diver, IIRC. But I expected more support because of the new C analog, since I thought they now could do more control schemes since more people would have two analogs.

tanooki27

DSi level upgrade my ass.

It's a Game Boy Color situation, and Nintendo are going to do everything they can to ensure that is the case and that people upgrade for the extra benefits, whether people agree with it or not.

do you agree? I think it's better this way personally. not specifically with the cpp situation described in the OP- that does seem unnecessary. but generally, if I'm going to buy an upgrade, I want as many exclusive benefits as I can get.

Gnub

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/new/features/index.html

It specifically says that the control options which the CPP offered as an add-on are built into the system now, allowing for expanded controls in various games. So yes, it should be backwards compatible. After all, Nintendo wants to sell more New 3DS units, but they don't seem to care about supporting the old stuff anymore.

Glorious.

I'm not understanding the hate for the track nub. Is it because it requires all new hardware or that the CPP is getting phased out? Some seem to be suggesting that the cstick is not a good substitute for a conventional analog stick (without trying it?).

I havent used it but i am willing to give it a whurl. The track nubs on laptops tend to be used with the index finger using the whole forarm for small precise movement. Hopefully putting the nub under the thumb makes for better control.

daegan

new5-220x.jpg

maybe this is why?

Hattori

Banned
Normally I wouldn't mind, but the n3DS is not coming out this fall. What in the world could they be thinking that this would be acceptable.

Launch operation frankenstick.

I can see why this can be an issue to some. Really strange for Nintendo to remove support. I wonder what's going on.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Well guess I'm not buying it then. Was going to buy second stick add on with it but fuck this noise. Might as well be new 3ds exclusive at this point.

Insulting

I did suggest it earlier, but either I'm totally off-base or no-one's listening...
How does that influence the use of the Control Stick Pro one way or the other?

Does SSB4 3DS even *use* Amiibos? The Wii U version does, but I haven't seen anything say the same for the 3DS version yet.

Ricky 7

This was obviously done on purpose. They probably know how dedicated the Smash community is and want to rinse them dry.

Top Bottom