• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Direct coming December 15th

Who do you want announced as a new fighter for Smash?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

I feel like newcomers tend become more unique over time because
1. technology advances and allows for stranger gimmicks
2. new characters borrow from old ones and make them less unique

Although there's also just a huge outpouring of love coming from some of the newcomers this time. Mega Man, Ryu, and Bayonetta are fanservice incarnate.

I like that it's basically "We worried about it, but we care more about how he plays, so eh. Fuck off."

Wow.

Attaboy, he's always seeing the big picture.

My thoughts exactly. The character looks so fun I could care less that it's yet another FE rep.

Don't forget to link to the Tweet! Thanks for sharing though <33.

Personally, I'm not surprised by Sakurai's response. I even predicted it in my Reaction Response.

The newcomers are all very unique, and you have to give props to Sakurai for that. It was a goal after Brawl, and he succeed! I hope he does come back for the next game.

My bad. Love the work you guys do!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I feel like newcomers tend become more unique over time because
1. technology advances and allows for stranger gimmicks
2. new characters borrow from old ones and make them less unique

Although there's also just a huge outpouring of love coming from some of the newcomers this time. Mega Man, Ryu, and Bayonetta are fanservice incarnate.

Brawl started that trend. Basically they started to explore out of the box rather than being limited to "basic" stuff.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Here is the final roster of Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U

character-mario.png
character-donkey_kong.png
character-link.png
character-samus.png

character-yoshi.png
character-kirby.png
character-fox.png
character-pikachu.png

character-luigi.png
character-captain_falcon.png
9eONX4l.png
Ry4sAVv.png

character-peach.png
character-koopa.png
character-zelda.png
character-sheik.png

character-marth.png
gMJkqSG.png
character-dlc-fighter01.png
8mT0m46.png

2sd8XBk.png
character-dlc-fighter03.png
ssEVkMR.png
KTeHhsD.png

character-metaknight.png
character-pit.png
character-zerosuit_samus.png
character-ike.png

character-lizardon.png
character-diddy_kong.png
character-dlc-fighter02.png
character-dedede.png

character-pikmin.png
character-lucario.png
q6Fj40Q.png
character-toon_link.png

character-murabito.png
character-wii_fit_trainer.png
character-rosetta.png
character-little_mac.png

character-gekkouga.png
character-palutena.png
character-reflet.png
character-lucina.png

character-shulk.png
VA5cBJU.png
f6nwDhB.png
P4uK5xw.png

character-dlc-fighter07.png
character-sonic.png
character-rockman.png
character-pac-man.png

character-dlc-fighter04.png
character-dlc-fighter05.png
character-dlc-fighter06.png
character-mii_fighter.png

Regiruler

I really hope that smash 5's unlocks are a bit more rigorous. If Bayonetta gets in again, she's definitely the type of character you need to work for.

Azure J

I'm sitting here randomly thinking to myself about the idea that we live in a world where Bayonetta made it into Smash Bros.

What is wrong with me. :lol

Smash 5 needs to do its damnedest to retain every character here, especially on the third party/guest character front.

I'm still sour about Corrin but I'm really glad Sakurai was thoughtful about including too many Fire Emblem characters. Even if he ultimately decided to move forward with the inclusion of the character, I find it encouraging that he has contemplated this issue and even noted it publicly. Hopefully, this thought is only further solidified with Corrin's addition. Considering how Fire Emblem has tripled its character count since Smash Brothers Brawl, I hope that future Smash games give that series a break and pull newcomers from new series or series that have been relatively neglected. I'd love to see Sakurai's creativity and attention spread to more franchises.

In particular, I'm still eager to see Sakurai work on K. Rool and Dixie!! (especially K. Rool)

e274af32196267.5672f39fa6e25.png

(Credit: Juliano Souza)

I'm sad that they didn't make it, even with DLC. But I'm grateful for Sakurai acknowledging K. Rool all the way back in July, just 2 months after the Smash Ballot opened. I can see why the character might have been skipped over for DLC, especially given that there weren't that many DLC characters after all. I hope this changes for Smash 5!

Neiteio

I'm sitting here randomly thinking to myself about the idea that we live in a world where Bayonetta made it into Smash Bros.

Smash 5 needs to do its damnedest to retain every character here, especially on the third party/guest character front.
My mind blocks itself from thinking about Smash 5 since the prospect of losing any of these characters is goddamn terrifying. It's like a defense mechanism.

I really, really, REALLY want an Ultra edition of Smash 4. Just keep building on this stuff, Sakurai. The game speed/balance is pretty much perfect, and the roster is just the stuff of LEGEND.

That DK image is awesome. It makes me really want another Country game now but with K.Rool finally returning along with Dixie and Cranky playable again.

It did feel like it was time for Dixie to make her debut in Smash this time round but obviously wasn't exciting enough for Sakurai to choose this time around. I've noticed Sakurai seems to choose characters largely on how individual they are and what they can bring to the table rather than just because of their pedigree. Dixie has her hair and stuff like her gumballs/guitar going for her as her USP which is good. I just hope she gets her due next time, alongside K.Rool.

Golnei

I really, really, REALLY want an Ultra edition of Smash 4. Just keep building on this stuff, Sakurai. The game speed/balance is pretty much perfect, and the roster is just the stuff of LEGEND.

It's a fantastic base. While there's some doubt over whether a Smash 5 that exists as a refinement could really have enough to differentiate itself from prior entries and stand on its own, the amount of stuff they're in a position to include might be incentive enough - not just the roster, but the stages and modes from both versions and any remaining Brawl content that could be easily ported over, as well as any new additions they'd be able to work on.

Having so much of the base game taken care of would also free them up to do things that would have been prohibitive from a time perspective without the use of the current game as a base - like full alternate costumes for every character and the return of character-specific target tests, an attempt to expand/save the concept of custom moves; possibly even a proper Adventure Mode; which might be a better selling point than many give it credit for, considering the surprising amount of backlash at the current game not attempting anything similar.

Pachimari

Is this still worth getting for N3DS (as I sold my Wii U and Wii U edition of the game unfortunately)? Are there still an online community and does it play well enough?

Now is a good time to compare Smash 4's roster to Brawl's.

tumblr_n5g3nr9gZM1trllnco5_400.png

In addition to the smaller size, it's interesting how generally more restraint and "proportionate" the representation of the series seemed to be. What I mean, the big three (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda) all share four character slots, surpassing the other series in terms of playable characters. Then you have a lot of the smaller scale series like Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, WarioWare, Yoshi, etc having only about 1-2 characters each. Then you have the two third parties at the end as a bonus.

Smash 4 on the other hand is way more zany. Series like Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem have characters up the woozu and now there's a shitload of third party characters.

ffdgh

In addition to the smaller size, it's interesting how generally more restraint and "proportionate" the representation of the series seemed to be. What I mean, the big three (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda) all share four character slots, surpassing the other series in terms of playable characters. Then you have a lot of the smaller scale series like Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, WarioWare, Yoshi, etc having only about 1-2 characters each. Then you have the two third parties at the end as a bonus.

Smash 4 on the other hand is way more zany. Series like Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem have characters up the woozu and now there's a shitload of third party characters.
It's so small now...wonder how it would look if Shiek, ZSS, Charizard, Ivysaur, and squirtle were selectable.

...I miss Wolf, Ice climbers, and snake :'(

RK128

Regard with Wolf's omission.

I wonder if they ran into development ruts (like other three newcomers required more works than they expected so they had to drop Wolf) or veterans DLC didn't sell very well.

If we don't get Wolf as a 'One more thing, we was able to make time for one more fighter many of you have wanted to see back ;)' then I feel that time spent on making three original fighters took too much time, thus they decided against working on Wolf.

It could been a case of getting Cloud, Bayonetta, Wolf and another vet or only Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin, so I rather we get the latter.

Original fighters are great and while I would love Wolf back, I don't mind him being gone if it meant more time was given to make Bayonetta and Corrin great to play as.

I still find it interesting that they made the CSS for Brawl line up perfectly, even if there were late cuts and late additions.

Add Doc, Roy and Mewtwo, and cut Jigglypuff, Wolf and Toon Link and it no longer lines up nicely at all. Cut Sonic, but replace him with Mewtwo and Roy, and again, doesn't line up. Throw in Plusle/Minun, Dixie or Tetra and things get real zany.

It was the absolute perfect roster to make the perfect CSS.

I know Smash 4 has some amazing, surprising and fun additions, but I can't help feeling nostalgic about the "big" additions of Brawl.

Dedede, Metaknight, Wolf, Charizard, Wario, Diddy, and Olimar. These days they might just be old time characters we all expect in Smash, but back then, it was insane.

Brawl just dropped bomb after bomb after bomb of "why weren't these characters in Smash already" while Smash 4 only has a couple of those (Mac, Villager and Miis) and the rest are newer characters or surprise picks.

Going into Smash 4, my most wanted new comers were Little Mac and Dark Samus. An old NES icon and an antagonist from a side series of Metroid. Versus my most wanted for Brawl, which were Dedede, Olimar and Bowser Jr. A main character from a huge series and a main character from a new, large, upcoming series. My only "long shot" request was a secondary antagonist from Mario. And eventually I got him and better than I can ever imagine (I was fine with a tiny Bowser semi-clone). Which is funny because I had totally forgotten I wanted Bowser Jr until he was leaked and I started remembering I really wanted him for Brawl and thought he was a shoe in.

It just feels like I'm running out of characters to "root for" which is probably why I've fallen back towards wanting them to focus more on bringing vets back. I'm going to be honest. Given the choice between two vets returning and Corrin, as interesting as he looks, I'd pick returning vets. Wolf and one of the three cut Pokemon, basically. For Smash 5, I want random characters like Dark Samus and Paper Mario, and to me that's hardly on the same level as wanting Dedede and Olimar.

Diffense

Everytime you see a Kirbynetta remember that Bayonetta just got eaten.

EDIT: BTW, I'm on board with Smash 5, if we get one, building on Smash4. There's just too much work there to throw it away and start over. The SSB4 DLC characters could get custom moves, the target break mode could return, and an adventure mode would be really cool esp. if they could incorporate Cloud and Bayonetta

I still find it interesting that they made the CSS for Brawl line up perfectly, even if there were late cuts and late additions.

Add Doc, Roy and Mewtwo, and cut Jigglypuff, Wolf and Toon Link and it no longer lines up nicely at all. Cut Sonic, but replace him with Mewtwo and Roy, and again, doesn't line up. Throw in Plusle/Minun, Dixie or Tetra and things get real zany.

It was the absolute perfect roster to make the perfect CSS.

I know Smash 4 has some amazing, surprising and fun additions, but I can't help feeling nostalgic about the "big" additions of Brawl.

Dedede, Metaknight, Wolf, Charizard, Wario, Diddy, and Olimar. These days they might just be old time characters we all expect in Smash, but back then, it was insane.

Brawl just dropped bomb after bomb after bomb of "why weren't these characters in Smash already" while Smash 4 only has a couple of those (Mac, Villager and Miis) and the rest are newer characters or surprise picks.

Going into Smash 4, my most wanted new comers were Little Mac and Dark Samus. An old NES icon and an antagonist from a side series of Metroid. Versus my most wanted for Brawl, which were Dedede, Olimar and Bowser Jr. A main character from a huge series and a main character from a new, large, upcoming series. My only "long shot" request was a secondary antagonist from Mario. And eventually I got him and better than I can ever imagine (I was fine with a tiny Bowser semi-clone). Which is funny because I had totally forgotten I wanted Bowser Jr until he was leaked and I started remembering I really wanted him for Brawl and thought he was a shoe in.

It just feels like I'm running out of characters to "root for" which is probably why I've fallen back towards wanting them to focus more on bringing vets back. I'm going to be honest. Given the choice between two vets returning and Corrin, as interesting as he looks, I'd pick returning vets. Wolf and one of the three cut Pokemon, basically. For Smash 5, I want random characters like Dark Samus and Paper Mario, and to me that's hardly on the same level as wanting Dedede and Olimar.

The great thing is with new games coming out we'll always have more new characters to root for, like Inklings. And who knows? Maybe we'll have the next gen of pokemon to hope for by then too. Or some amazing character from Zelda U. Or maybe Nintendo decides to revive a "dead" franchise like Star Tropics?

NotLiquid

Smash 5's roster is just legendary.

I had to double take so many times to make sure I wasn't in some alternate reality. I thought there was a fucking glitch in The Matrix. But no. Bayonetta is real and she's here. She's among the giants now.

Smash 4 fan art is gonna be so glorious these years.

Yes, the 3DS still has a very healthy online community.

If all you have is the 3DS, the 3DS version is fine.

Agreed. It's all I've got and I've started really enjoying it a lot recently. Did my first For Glory 1 v 1 matches today and ended up 50%. Not too bad. It's a lot of fun!

I've only bought Ryu and Cloud of the DLC so far. There are A LOT of characters and stages in this game...I don't really need much more.

Jaeger

I'm loving Cloud. I feel like I leveled up after watching some players use him yesterday. Really getting the hang of him, and when I use him now it feels natural. Like I was supposed to use him all along.

I just need Wolf and Ice Climbers for everything to feel "complete." I don't know why but I have a need for that kind of, I guess, closure. Ivysaur and Squirtle would be amazing too, but on the same token I think a fully evolved Grass starter with more staying power (in terms of probably not ever being cut) would be amazing to fill this odd hole that Pokémon representation has at the moment.

But Smash 4 was good to me in terms of newcomers. Almost ridiculously so.

Villager: I am a HUGE Animal Crossing fan, so imagine my dismay when, after Brawl, Sakurai stated that a Villager character would be out of place in Smash. I always thought this was a silly thing to say when you have all manner of cartoon characters bonking each other, and the spirit of Smash isn't should you fight, it's can you fight. Then, Villager is the first newcomer announced for Smash 4! Needless to say I lost all my shit when the camera panned down to an AC village.

Rosalina: Super Mario Galaxy 1 is my favorite Mario title of all time. Aside from it being objectively great, I have a lot of nostalgia for the music and the hub world. Rosalina is also an amazing character in every sense. I knew she'd been making more game appearances, but I never dreamed she'd make it into Smash. Of course, my "aha" moment in the trailer was when the launch star appeared. I think her reveal is one of my favorites (plus it happened around Christmas time so it felt extra festive).

Greninja: Huge Pokémon fan, so I was happy to see a gen 6 Pokémon at all. In my perfect world, Sakurai would have selected Chesnaught to be the gen 6 rep (I still weep at the idea of what might have been), but Greninja is cool too and I feel he's secured his spot forever.

Robin: I got back into FE with Awakening, so I was hoping we'd get a rep from this game. I was resigned to it being Chrom, though I really wanted Robin. Even on my little fan made roster, I had Robin with gender swaps, though I didn't think it would actually happen. Then the fuckin trailer came (also at a time when Gematsu was gospel) and I don't think I've ever had such a loud reaction to a game trailer. Such a reversal of expectations.

Palutena: Uprising is currently among my games of the generation, so I was obviously excited about the inclusion of the Goddess of Light. While it's kind of a bummer that the VA couldn't do her in Smash, I think her replacement did a decent job. But I can still sense that they made her speak less in battle because of how jarring it might have been to hear a new VA, which is a shame because I would love a Palutena in Smash with more sass. Also kinda disappointing is her situation with special moves, but it is cool that they all come from Uprising miracles.

Pac-Man: Pac-Man has a special place in my heart, being one of a couple games my grandfather would play with me when I was growing up. I was interested at the prospect of him joining in since Namco was helping with development. The crowd reaction at the roundtable when he was revealed at E3 2014 was crazy and put a huge smile on my face. He turned out even better than I imagined, and I hope he's here to stay.

Bowser Jr.: This was a character I didn't even know I wanted. I wasn't opposed to him joining in, I just wasn't hyped about a paintbrush moveset or a tiny Bowser clone. But once again, Sakurai showed me that he can spin moveset gold from straw. The Koopalings are an amazing touch as well. It was a huge surprise and a pleasant one.

Corrin: I know some were probably upset about this inclusion, but it's easily my most hyped out of all the DLC newcomers. The third parties are cool and amazing and I'm happy for the fans, but I was really lamenting the fact that the cool protagonist from Fates would certainly miss the Smash boat, being too old by the time the next title comes around. But Sakurai apparently likes the character as much as I do! Corrin and Robin will definitely compete for my most played FE character.

Basically, I love Smash 4, and the roster is immaculate. I have three newcomers I'm rooting hard for (Chorus Kids, Inkling, and fully evolved Grass Pokémon starter), but honestly if I could just get my vets back the current roster would be the GOAT for me. Even without them, it still kind of is.

Thank you Sakurai, so very much.

The great thing is with new games coming out we'll always have more new characters to root for, like Inklings. And who knows? Maybe we'll have the next gen of pokemon to hope for by then too. Or some amazing character from Zelda U. Or maybe Nintendo decides to revive a "dead" franchise like Star Tropics?

But they're running low on childlike amazement at X character vs Y character.

Sonic v Mario, Cloud v Link and even stuff like Charizard v Mewtwo. Not many of those kinds of nostalgia fueled match ups left, if you focus mostly on new Nintendo characters.

The well's running kind of dry on those sorts of dream battles. It's at the point where we're requesting stuff like Samus v Master Chief, or Goku v Lucario which isn't ever going to happen. While at one point, Bowser v Mario was a huge novelty and could sell the game. The stakes for what will sell a dream fight have gotten so huge that it seems impossible that feeling will ever be captured again with a Smash roster.

Jaeger

I just need Wolf and Ice Climbers for everything to feel "complete." I don't know why but I have a need for that kind of, I guess, closure.

But Smash 4 was good to me in terms of newcomers. Almost ridiculously so.

I can agree with this. Everyone knows how pumped I was for Mewtwo, and after this last patch he feels even better to me.

Zalman

There are already certain characters that are a given, I think. Isabelle and Inkling are no-brainers. Xenoblade already has characters ready too (Elma), and there are always old Mario/Donkey Kong/Zelda characters to choose from. Pokémon will always have new cool characters ready as well. And yeah, who knows what retro franchise will be revived, if any. A lot can happen between now and the next Smash game.

jph139

Smash 4 was crazy hype. Way better than Brawl - everything seemed like a possibility at one point or another. To me, the biggest day in Smash hype history was the Robin/Lucina trailer. To explain:

1) I was a huge Gematsu believer. 100%. I expected, save a possible hidden character or two, that that was all we were getting. I was happy with it, but it was mostly a matter of checking off boxes. The leaker even said, the night before, "Enjoy my good friend Shulk!" - who I didn't care much about. I didn't bother waking up early to see the trailer. I knew what was coming - why bother?

2) In the lead-up to Smash hype, I expected Chrom as the FE newcomer. I don't give a shit about Chrom. I wanted Robin - sword and tomes, one element for each Special. And I wanted Lucina - a cool character and an easy Marth clone. They were some of the only characters I actively dreamed of, and I assumed they were lost causes.

I woke up, started up the trailer, fully expecting Shulk to show up. But no. It's... Lucina?! And... who is that? Is that Shulk? Wait! No! Robin!! Holy shit!!!

That morning everything seemed possible. More than Cloud, more than Bayonetta. That was Smash hype, pure and unadulterated.

the target break mode could return

I mentioned this a lot of times, but it really can't at this point.

Smash 4's roster is simply too large and demanding for something like individual Target Tests or Board the Platforms. 64 and Melee were much smaller games in comparison and therefor were able to get away creating those types of modes...but hell, even Melee, with its increased roster size, had to scale back on it a little, hence the removal of Board the Platforms. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only game in the series to feature both modes is the one with by far the smallest roster, that being Smash 64.

Either way, people just aren't gonna be happy. We complained about the lack of Break the Targets in this game, but in Brawl people complained about the lack of character specific BTT courses as well. I loved having individual Platforms/Targets levels in the previous games but Smash has just gotten too big to sustain them, and they especially aren't ever going to do both ever again, considering that 58 characters x 2 stages to develop for each = 116 courses that'd need to be created. That'd be crazy.

Pachimari

I remember I looked forward to this game, because it were gonna be my first Smash Bros. but also because I knew I would main the Ice Climbers, as I have sweet memories from their game. Unfortunately those were one of the few they decided to remove, and that made me real sad. Thankfully, they added Duck Hunt which I also have deer memories off, so it's an okay switch.

How many DLC characters are available now, and how much is the price if I want to buy a character for both 3DS and Wii U? And how much for just 3DS?

RK128

Smash 4 honestly was pushing me into getting a Nintendo console, but I could only afford one. The best moment of the Smash hype was me getting a 2DS and Smash 3DS; best part of 2014 for me as I was able to play the game I was looking forward to for so long and had a new Nintendo system in a very long time (at least 4 years since I got another Wii).

The roster was set for me when Mega Man was a newcomer and Sonic was confirmed to return to the roster; those two are characters I really wanted more then anyone else.

The Kid Icirus cast was something I was 'that's cool' about but after playing Uprising early this year....they are such a great inclusion and I'm glad they made it in :).

Little Mac, the changed up Zero Suit Samus and Dr. Mario made me very, very happy though :D. Little Mac is amazing to play as and Zero Suit Samus feels a lot better to play as compared to Brawl (her new Up-B is really damn affective).

The DLC fighters really are great though :D!
-Lucas: Love his snake grab, that plus his Up-B makes him awesome for recovery. His A and Smash Attacks are a lot of fun too.
-Ryu and Roy: Both were great additions to the roster. Bundle them together as I enjoy playing as them equally. Roy is so much better than a simple clone of Marth; his melee attacks are more powerful, Smash Attacks more effective and he is just a lot of fun to play as. Ryu is what I expected; faithful to his SF2 origins while also being a lot of fun to play as.
-Mewtwo: Got him for free thanks to a kind Gaffer giving out his 3DS code he wasn't using and I love playing as him. A bit tricky to use his specials but overall a great return to Smash.
-Cloud: Honestly never saw him coming at all; thought he was a pipe dream honestly. But here he is, fighting Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Link, Pickachu and Ryu, all in one game. Just....amazing :'). He feels great to play as and his Limit Break works a lot better than Little Mac's KO; can use it for more things, can charge it at will and it creates this great risk-reward set up on how you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom