• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Direct coming December 15th

Who do you want announced as a new fighter for Smash?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sakurai gives you have one character choice. Choose wisely.
Wolf + retooled slightly moveset

I would chose Isaac easily because I just knew that Sakurai wouldn't even thought about Isaac being playable character when he could bring Ice Climbers and Wolf back easily, and Inkling is 100% safe bet for next Smash.

I didn't included any third party characters into this decision because it required other company to be involved.

Ice Climbers will probably be back, but honestly if they didn't even bother to bring Wolf back as DLC despite he seemingly had nothing going against him, I can't see him returning unless Star Fox becomes really really big again over the years or something.

PK Gaming

So did anyone else notice that they went ahead and made Dark Pit a strictly better character than Pit.

His Side B kills Mario near the ledge at 61% now.

Just thinking but while we might not get any roster additions for wii-u/3ds beyond the revealed, do you think there's any chance of improvements like 1v1 tournies, mii fighters being allowed on for glory or anything like that?

Kinsei

Banned
Just thinking but while we might not get any roster additions for wii-u/3ds beyond the revealed, do you think there's any chance of improvements like 1v1 tournies, mii fighters being allowed on for glory or anything like that?

I doubt it. It seems like once Bayo and Corrin are released that development on Smash 4 will stop.

L Thammy

ST Falcon. Sakurai ignores that answer because he doesn't know what it is, so we decide to settle for Mach Rider instead.

Dark Pit and Pit are so similar that I don't think it's possible for one not to be explicitly better. There aren't enough differences for one strength to balance out another weakness.

So did anyone else notice that they went ahead and made Dark Pit a strictly better character than Pit.

His Side B kills Mario near the ledge at 61% now.

Yea, I noticed in the balance changes that Dark Pit was buffed, while Pit was not.

Which I thought was cool, trying to make them different.

Maybe this is a trade off for having a weaker tilt?

Probably not. Considering Tourney Mode lets you use Miis and even now have brackets that let you use custom specials without equipment, I was hoping they'd announce similar options for For Glory.

Would of made up for Palutena not getting any changes whatsoever.

Drago

Chibi Robo! Easily.

Only character I still really want to see in the game that I feel has no chance. Everyone else (Wolf, Inkling, new DK char) is pretty likely.

PK Gaming

Yea, I noticed in the balance changes that Dark Pit was buffed, while Pit was not.

Which I thought was cool, trying to make them different.

Maybe this is a trade off for having a weaker tilt?

Haha maybe, but they don't even compare anymore. Dark Pit is like >> Pit now.

I guess Sakurai was tired of him being the butt of all jokes.

I doubt it. It seems like once Bayo and Corrin are released that development on Smash 4 will stop.
Yeah, even though they never explicitly stated it, it does feel quite final. It does seem odd that they're only calling it the final smash-focussed broadcast but maybe they're just covering themselves incase they decide to do some tweaks down the line.

Probably not. Considering Tourney Mode lets you use Miis and even now have brackets that let you use custom specials without equipment, I was hoping they'd announce similar options for For Glory.

Would of made up for Palutena not getting any changes whatsoever.
I wish I liked Palutena enough to be fussed about her moveset but she's just not the goddess that made me smirk in KI:U. They'd need to buff her personality before I'd worry about her smash performance :p

ChrisD

I wish I liked Palutena enough to be fussed about her moveset but she's just not the goddess that made me smirk in KI:U. They'd need to buff her personality before I'd worry about her smash performance :p

I'm not alone in this thought process! Palutena was my favorite Uprising character, not so much in Sm4sh. For me it's that she's too serious about stuff! Shouting out the attacks all the time is no good whenever the voice acting isn't as witty.

kirby_fox

Banned
Ice Climbers will probably be back, but honestly if they didn't even bother to bring Wolf back as DLC despite he seemingly had nothing going against him, I can't see him returning unless Star Fox becomes really really big again over the years or something.

I said it before the direct, but I really feel like the base game of what he wanted included Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu but they ran out of time and had to focus on other parts. Sakurai then chose 2 characters fans wanted (Cloud + Bayonetta) and a surprise newcomer that he likely wanted (Corrin).

Ice Climbers were a want in the game, but couldn't be done-- if the hardware can handle it I would expect ICs back in full swing. I think Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur returning is hard- unless he decides to bring them back and represent Red and Leaf in the game. Red could get Squirtle, Leaf could get Ivysaur- and we'd have a Pokemon Trainer of both sexes repped with our cut vets. Pichu is the odd one-- he's a pretty popular character outside of Smash but inside of Smash his fans are lower due to his self-hurting. I still think having a hold item mechanic for Pichu- where he uses it at a certain percentage, would really make him unique.

Wolf...I don't know. I think his last minute addition was because Fox/Falco were popular Melee choices. I don't see him as all that popular of a character either, and the perceived popularity part of the echo-chamber of the Internet. While he had a somewhat unique moveset, I think he would need a revamp to get him back in. And I just don't see that happening with a Star Fox character in the foreseeable future.

Young Link is in a similar position. Toon Link has taken over the part of Young Link even outside of Smash, and though he would be great to have back as a slightly different playstyle- it'd be 3 Links, all using the same moves slightly altered. Young Link not appearing in a Zelda title for years doesn't help him either.

Snake...RIP. Unless Nintendo buys the MGS series, Snake will forever be stuck in Brawl.

I'm not alone in this thought process! Palutena was my favorite Uprising character, not so much in Sm4sh. For me it's that she's too serious about stuff! Shouting out the attacks all the time is no good whenever the voice acting isn't as witty.
Yup yup, even most of her taunts are dry.
I understand there's not really much room for witty dialogue in a fighting moveset and that Palutena can be serious sometimes but it just feels like they missed the mark completely. "You shall be purified!" doesn't even sound like something I'd imagine her saying :/
At least her japanese voice actress has some hint of mirth in her voice during a few lines, but it's not like we have the option to select her.

Wolf had modest usage in competitive Brawl, for a the few years it existed.

I don't think his popularity is an echo chamber effect. He was a relatively often requested character for both Melee and Brawl, that's part of the reason he was added.

So I downloaded Cloud, Roy, Lucas and a whole bunch of stage DLC last night, my accounts been charged, I've downloaded it all and installed the Smash update, and its not showing up in game :( restarted loads and only option left is downloading 3GB+ of data on my shitty internet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Blastoise wouldn't have the mobility of Squirtle. He chose right.

*insert shitty gif quality Tierno's breakdancing gif here*

2cf.gif

65e.gif

It still blows my mind whenever I sit down and think Bayonetta will be in Smash. Cloud once you get past the whole FF7 was never on a Nintendo console makes sense as a gaming icon, but Bayo truly felt like a fan wish character which ironically is exactly how she got in. She's not a major gaming icon and her franchise is fairly niche. I'm happy she's in, its just hard to process even 2 days later.

DedValve

Banned
It still blows my mind whenever I sit down and think Bayonetta will be in Smash. Cloud once you get past the whole FF7 was never on a Nintendo console makes sense as a gaming icon, but Bayo truly felt like a fan wish character which ironically is exactly how she got in. She's not a major gaming icon and her franchise is fairly niche. I'm happy she's in, its just hard to process even 2 days later.

I refuse to believe it until I'm playing her. This is so surreal.

Even though I'm saddened that Wolf couldn't come back, I think there's something impressive regarding the DLC lineup for this game.

WyBfuQo.png

Did anyone else notice we ended up with slightly more newcomers than veterans? Shortly after Mewtwo's announcement, the most common expectation for DLC was mostly veterans with one or two newcomers thrown in, which made sense, considering that veterans were cheaper and easier to produce. But in the end, we ended up with four full-fledged new characters, while only getting three veterans back.

Similarly I think we ended up with more new stages than returning as well. Mario Maker, Midgar, Suzaku Castle, Miiverse, and Umbra Clock Tower compared to Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Dreamland 64 and Pirate Ship.

Maybe it's because I don't have any personal interest/investment in the character, but she doesn't really seem all that surprising to me. I've obviously not been involved in any discussion of why people thought she might not be allowed in or whatever but I see her and go "Oh yeah, I know that character and a lot of people I know will know that character" plus she obviously had plenty to build a moveset off of and witch time is an interesting mechanic so her making it is just par for the course to me. That's not to say I would've predicted being in, but I wouldn't have ever said she was an unrealistic addition either.

Also, bitterness coming in here but: I said a few times that if they did end up adding a DLC female it'd either be another 'stoic'/serious type OR another 'sexy' type like ZSS. Bayo lands squarely in category 2. Fem Corrin may very well fit category 1 depending on how they portray her. Smash has a few that don't fit in those 2 such as the goofy/nightmare-fuel villager or the botched attempt at sass/humour that is peach but I didn't think we'd get any like that in the DLC and it looks like I was fairly on the mark.

Feltrol

Banned

Krystal from Star Fox.

If you haven't lost interest already, why her? Because her staff (from Adventures) would give her a more unique moveset compared to the rest of the Star Fox cast.

Even though I'm saddened that Wolf couldn't come back, I think there's something impressive regarding the DLC lineup for this game.

http://i.imgur.com/WyBfuQo.png[IMG]

Did anyone else notice we ended up with slightly more [I]newcomers[/I] than veterans? Shortly after Mewtwo's announcement, the most common expectation for DLC was mostly veterans with one or two newcomers thrown in, which made sense, considering that veterans were cheaper and easier to produce. But in the end, we ended up with four full-fledged new characters, while only getting three veterans back.

Similarly I think we ended up with more new stages than returning as well. Mario Maker, Midgar, Suzaku Castle, Miiverse, and Umbra Clock Tower compared to Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Dreamland 64 and Pirate Ship.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, indeed. I'm glad with this line-up. Even though I didn't get the characters I wanted, I'm really happy with what we got, and all of the DLC newcomers seem completely unique and all have insane amount of detail. After the first wave of DLC having three out of four characters being veterans I also totally expected that we would be getting more of them, but I'm glad resources were put to newcomers. I know people are still complaining about Bayonetta and Corrin all over the internet but imo both of them look incredible. Such attention to detail.

[quote="Feltrol, post: 189673370"]Krystal from Star Fox.

If you haven't lost interest already, why her? Because her staff (from Adventures) would give her a more unique moveset compared to the rest of the Star Fox cast.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is the next logical Star Fox character to join Smash.

Son Of D

WyBfuQo.png

Did anyone else notice we ended up with slightly more newcomers than veterans? Shortly after Mewtwo's announcement, the most common expectation for DLC was mostly veterans with one or two newcomers thrown in, which made sense, considering that veterans were cheaper and easier to produce. But in the end, we ended up with four full-fledged new characters, while only getting three veterans back.

Similarly I think we ended up with more new stages than returning as well. Mario Maker, Midgar, Suzaku Castle, Miiverse, and Umbra Clock Tower compared to Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Dreamland 64 and Pirate Ship.

Still wish it were 8 characters. That feels like a better amount for me but 7 is still good (especially when fucking Cloud and Bayonetta are there).

Shame we didn't hear more about DLC stages (outside of the FFVII and Bayonetta stages).

Jawmuncher

I wonder if it's possible to see snake ever again. While he added snake as a favor to kojima. I'm sure sakurai realized that he has quite the fanbase of players now. I wonder if for the next smash, especially after some of this Konami stuff has cooled if he'd reconsider it. Since at the end of the day Snake is still Kojima's creation after all.

KingBroly

Banned
I wonder if it's possible to see snake ever again. While he added snake as a favor to kojima. I'm sure sakurai realized that he has quite the fanbase of players now. I wonder if for the next smash, especially after some of this Konami stuff has cooled if he'd reconsider it. Since at the end of the day Snake is still Kojima's creation after all.

I think getting Snake into Smash is more on Konami than Nintendo. Konami has completely lost it for their new found love, the Pachinko Machine.

It's so odd to have 7 DLC characters. On the DLC page it looks odd. On the Wii U CSS there's only room for 1 more character right now. If they do another page JUST for DLC characters, it's going to look terrible.

I still think an NX version is coming, and the Ice Climbers will return.

I'm also shocked that ZSS/Sheik haven't been nerfed and Samus still hasn't been fixed.

MisterHero

Was Snake's Fox symbol from MGS or was it originally for Kojima Productions (like Sonic's is based on Sonic Team)?

because Kojima-related content is probably nuked and gone

It's so odd to have 7 DLC characters. On the DLC page it looks odd. On the Wii U CSS there's only room for 1 more character right now. If they do another page JUST for DLC characters, it's going to look terrible.

Pages are impossible on the Wii U. They're able to scale the buttons just slightly more.

But it'll still look strange with 7. 6 or 8 wouldn't have, but 7 is going to look weird.

Jaeger

I think getting Snake into Smash is more on Konami than Nintendo. Konami has completely lost it for their new found love, the Pachinko Machine.

I still think an NX version is coming, and the Ice Climbers will return.

I'm also shocked that ZSS/Sheik haven't been nerfed and Samus still hasn't been fixed.

Pardon my ignorance as I have been mostly ignoring the competitive scene, but what is wrong with Samus? And is ZSS/Sheik so good they need to be nerfed or are they just broken in some way?

Ryce

Was Snake's Fox symbol from MGS or was it originally for Kojima Productions (like Sonic's is based on Sonic Team)?

because Kojima-related content is probably nuked and gone
The Metal Gear emblem first appeared in Metal Gear Solid 3 in 2004 and then later became the Kojima Productions logo.

Also, Sonic's emblem technically isn't the Sonic Team logo, which has eyes. It's actually taken from games like Sonic Heroes.

GANONDORF FANS, WATCH THIS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szggXY8k99I

Tell me you don't want that magician moveset in the game.

That magician moveset, especially the float which is so Ganondorf-like, is a thing of beauty. It seems quite overpowered but I don't even care, I'd pay money to have it on Smash 4. I'm not too sold on the tennis light balls, they don't quite look right.

The Metal Gear emblem first appeared in Metal Gear Solid 3 in 2004 and then later became the Kojima Productions logo.

Also, Sonic's emblem technically isn't the Sonic Team logo, which has eyes. It's actually taken from games like Sonic Heroes.

Speaking of emblems, Cloud's is just fucking hideous. I know they want to represent the entire Final Fantasy franchise but it seems pointless when we're not going to get any other FF rep, why not just use FFVII's? It even looks great as monochrome:

meteorblack.jpg

Whoever started calling Ganondorf's projectiles "Dead Man's Volley"...
I don't like you.
"Dead man's volley" actually comes from Phantom Hourglass, and is a pun an Agatha Christie novel. I don't think it was ever in use before that - it was always just "energy tennis" and stuff like that.

I still just call it tennis.
Dead Man's Volley sounds boss as hell so nuts to you buddy.

Despite it looking really cool, the float when I tried it out in Project M always felt really over powered. If you can use Ganondorf's aerials while doing it you can basically just fly around the stage using his down aerial on everyone.

Shit! Why aren't the fixing her?
She represents Other M pretty well now at least.
I already know that Zero Suit Samus is really, really good.

Did anyone notice that in the trophy gallery, Cloud's section is just called "FINAL FANTASY VII"?

So much for "representing Final Fantasy as a whole", lol.

Did anyone notice that in the trophy gallery, Cloud's section is just called "FINAL FANTASY VII"?

So much for "representing Final Fantasy as a whole", lol.
The Smash Direct still made out he's meant to be representing Final Fantasy as a whole, and the icon being 'FF' plays into that as well. Trophies in general have a ton of weird quirks that don't really sit well with me; Ryu's trophies for example only list Street Fighter and don't list Street Fighter II or anything else for that matter. Similarly Rayman's make out his first game was Origins.

ROB didn't even have a category in Brawl

Poor ROB. No stage. No trophies. No trophy category in Brawl. Broken eyes. Sad Subspace story. He generally seems to be a forgotten character too, hardly seem him mentioned, which is a shame because he's a perfect character to be in Smash.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Regard with Wolf's omission.

I wonder if they ran into development ruts (like other three newcomers required more works than they expected so they had to drop Wolf) or veterans DLC didn't sell very well.

Ahnez

Well after Kamui and Bayo are released, I believe it will be like Splatoon..

They will not develop new content, but will continue with support and balance patches

There's always hope for Samus lol

Regard with Wolf's omission.

I wonder if they ran into development ruts (like other three newcomers required more works than they expected so they had to drop Wolf) or veterans DLC didn't sell very well.

I wonder if that's possible.

Many people likely got Mewtwo from the CN deal and I'd imagine Ryu overshadowed Roy and Lucas.

Plus the latter two had the baggage of being perceived by fans as being "clones" (even though they're not), are from Japan-exclusive games... Lucas might have been better off since he was announced beforehand but in general, that's a potential concern for sure.

I'm just surprised since Sakurai always seemed to give special attention to Wolf in previous games and emphasized his dislike of displeasing veterans' fans. Even got a new remix this time around.

I wonder if that's possible.

Many people likely got Mewtwo from the CN deal and I'd imagine Ryu overshadowed Roy and Lucas.

Plus the latter two had the baggage of being perceived by fans as being "clones" (even though they're not), are from Japan-exclusive games... Lucas might have been better off since he was announced beforehand but in general, that's a potential concern for sure.
Well, I know I only bought the vets so other people could play them. If I didn't play smash locally the money for them would've never left my bank account :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom