• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass on Switch is 40% off until July 4th (First Switch eShop Sale)

Stoze

Check out this part, though: https://youtu.be/-wBvsx84Dys?t=3m10s

What mitigates this concern is the business about Unreal Engine's temporal AA in combination with the game's soft materials. DF says this combination actually works better with a lower resolution, vs. a high resolution with these materials and low AA. Again, see the link.
I've seen the link, I watched it 3 months ago when they first posted it. I never said it looks better or worse in handheld, and I'm familiar with UE4's AA solutions. Their TAA does look blurry imo.
I have a different opinion. It looks grainy handheld and I can see scaling artefacts all over the place. On TV it looks great.

It is worse than native Vita games, but still looks much better than sub-native Vita games which dipped much lower.

Still, I'm not interested in sub-native on a handheld, looks various levels of gross either way.
Right, like I said, most Vita games. I'd argue it's not much better than sub-native ones either though, Vita's lowest res 640x384 games on a 5" screen (149 ppi) vs Snake Pass at 844x475 on a 6.2" screen (156 ppi).

prateeko

This first sale (5 months in) makes brings to surface the inevitability that I bought a bunch of titles out of desperation that will now be on sale as there are many more games/choices available on the system. I knew it was going to go down exactly like this and Nintendo still got me.

😑...this F*****G game suuucckkss! Why are people afraid to say this! I'm sorry, but I'm not listening to Switch gaf no more..

$12 down the drain. Oh well..

😑...this F*****G game suuucckkss! Why are people afraid to say this! I'm sorry, but I'm not listening to Switch gaf no more..

I mean I don't consider myself a Switch diehard. I don't think the game sucks at all. Unique mechanic, colorful environments, great Wise soundtrack.

I mean I don't consider myself a Switch diehard. I don't think the game sucks at all. Unique mechanic, colorful environments, great Wise soundtrack.

Those are the reasons I bought it (not on Switch gaf, totally, I was interested) but the controls suck!!

I spent an hour and a half trying to get one coin! One coin!! I must've died like 60 times! Then I just started laughing when he dies, cuz he has a human voice😂

Neiteio

Those are the reasons I bought it (not on Switch gaf, totally, I was interested) but the controls suck!!

I spent an hour and a half trying to get one coin! One coin!! I must've died like 60 times! Then I just started laughing when he dies, cuz he has a human voice😂
The whole point of the game is mastering the controls. You're a snake — you can't just jump and grab things like Mario. You have to learn to move like a snake, wriggling your body to gain traction and winding your way around objects in the environment to support your body and to climb towards your target.

It has nothing to do with Switch gaf. The controls are made to be used as if you're a snake. They take some time to learn.

Stoze

I spent an hour and a half trying to get one coin! One coin!! I must've died like 60 times! Then I just started laughing when he dies, cuz he has a human voice��
The whole point of the game is mastering the controls. You're a snake — you can't just jump and grab things like Mario. You have to learn to move like a snake, wriggling your body to gain traction and winding your way around objects in the environment to support your body and to climb towards your target.
This. Also if you're frustrated at spending an hour and a half getting one coin, that's your own fault. Take 5 minutes and give it a couple tries, and then move on. You can revisit levels and get collectibles you missed when you've mastered the movement by just progressing normally.

depward

Damn this joycon rumble is insanely intense. Guess I'll have to turn it off when playing for now until that fix is in.

It has nothing to do with Switch gaf. The controls are made to be used as if you're a snake. They take some time to learn.

Lol, I don't want no parts of Switch gaf, I was jesting. :p

Well first off, I'm not that mad.

I get the point, the controls just suck to me. They should have compensated for people who don't play with inverted controls for the head movement.. I can deal with it, it's just tough.

I will say this is one of the funniest games I've played in a long time. Why does the snake sound like Nathan Drake when he falls to his death!?😂

Edit: it's straight, I got the coin!

Went ahead and purchased this morning :)

Freaking adorable and glad to finally have it

One question tho:

What's up with the rumble while in handheld mode? Sumo planning on patching this? ...kind inclined to turn it off :/

Damn this joycon rumble is insanely intense. Guess I'll have to turn it off when playing for now until that fix is in.

oh, nvm :)

Went ahead and purchased this morning :)

Freaking adorable and glad to finally have it

one question tho:

What's up with the rumble while in handheld mode? Sumo planning on patching this? ...kind inclined to turn it off :/
Yeah they're patching it. They actually already fixed it once but something in their most recent patch borked it up again. But they're aware of the issue and are puttin out a patch ASAP!

Zedark

Docked and undocked?

That's......I hope they gain technical proficiency sooner rather than later. I've enjoyed all their works.

Docked Switch resolution is 675p, handheld resolution is 475p. Those aren't great numbers, but they do have a very powerful AA solution in place which makes the game look a lot less jaggy than you would expect, at the cost of a bit of blurriness (but nothing too bad imo).

Tregard

Soothsayer
I don't own a Switch yet, but my sister does. If I buy Snake Pass on hers will I then be able to transfer it later?

Rumble needs to be patched, but the game absolutely looks fine. Cease with the hyperbole

Maybe for you, personally, but nobody should be happy with a game that runs on 475p on a 720p screen. That is not acceptable and everything but not "absolutely fine". Serious. It's not like this isn't a legit complain.

I'm really thinking about trying it out for that 11 or 12 bucks but I hate it if games, specially portable games, are running under the native resolution. It was awful on the Vita and is even more awful now. You just see it, so clearly, the difference is massive.

I don't own a Switch yet, but my sister does. If I buy Snake Pass on hers will I then be able to transfer it later?

If you buy it with your Nintendo account, yes, without problems. But without the savegame, that is not working on the switch right now.

Fliesen

as i posted earlier in this thread.

Do not try to work against the game's learning curve by trying to 100% each level during your first playthrough. Coins and those blue droplets are meant to encourage replayability.

I made that mistake, too. Once i just focused on finishing a regular playthrough, going back to levels for 'cleanup' felt incredibly rewarding, as i the controls had become very 'natural' to me.

Opa-Pa

Whoa, just when I got reminded of this game's existence thanks to the PSN sale! Those resolutions sound abysmal, but I really want to play this portably and well, I survived so many sub native games on Vita that one more won't kill me... I think!

aznpxdd

Holy Blurry Graphics Batman!

People who say this game looks fine with the AA undocked should get their eyes checked. This is about as bad as NBA Playground's blurry mess.

Zedark

Holy Blurry Graphics Batman!

People who say this game looks fine with the AA undocked should get their eyes checked. This is about as bad as NBA Playground's blurry mess.

Thanks for the notice, we will tell John at Digital Foundry that he is blind as a bat!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
God dammit, I just bought it at full price like 4 days ago.

I've been loving it, you just need to slow down and get used to the controls but it clicked pretty quick for me.

Also it definitely looks a little blurry undocked and I've experienced some laggy moments.

Schlomo

as i posted earlier in this thread.

Do not try to work against the game's learning curve by trying to 100% each level during your first playthrough. Coins and those blue droplets are meant to encourage replayability.

I made that mistake, too. Once i just focused on finishing a regular playthrough, going back to levels for 'cleanup' felt incredibly rewarding, as i the controls had become very 'natural' to me.

I did just that and had a blast. Didn't feel frustrating at all. I laughed when I unlocked Detective View for collectibles at the end because I already had everything.

Thanks for the notice, we will tell John at Digital Foundry that he is blind as a bat!

Well, when it comes to the Switch, they said many questionable things lately. So I don't really trust them anymore there.

- They said Dragon Quest Heroes, at least the demo, runs native in handheld mode, when it's clearly not. This mess is so blurry, no way in hell this is native. The UI yes, but not the game behind it. That was a point where I really thought "are they freaking blind"?
- They said Zelda has a few framerate problems at the beginning in handheld mode but besides that it almost never happens after and runs rock solid, which is also completely wrong, there are some areas where the framerate drops massively every single time and really often.
- They said Lego City Undercover runs pretty good in handheld mode without that much difference to docked while this game, in reality, runs like absolute garbage in handheld mode, always, nonstop under 20fps when you move the camera to the City, sometimes when you drive through the City, it's so bad that you have the feeling you are driving in slow motion. It is unbelievable how bad it runs in handheld mode. If you play it docked, it runs smooth as butter (with just a few fps problems, but the difference is mind-blowing).

So yeah, when it comes to the Switch, they really lost my trust and when they talked about that anti aliasing part in Snake Pass and that 475p on the switch screen doesn't really look that bad, I was literally rolling my eyes and asked myself if they are still the right people for this. (Or if they got paid because the whole Snake Pass video felt kind of awkward and like a promotional video, to be honest)

Don't get me wrong, they do an amazing work over there and I'm thankful that they exist. Sony should pay them for the work on their PS4 Pro videos and how good they are and actually help selling the system, but the Switch stuff really disappointed so far.

Still unreleased in Japan.

Maybe Sumo are going for the same genius strategy used with Sonic Transformed, releasing it here a couple of years after everywhere else at twice the price.

oti

Banned
Played the first two levels. Looks and runs fine in handheld mode for me. Could be better. The rumble is hilariously bad.

It is REALLY tempting to go for 100% collectibles on the first try.

Don't.

Opa-Pa

Three stages in and wow! What an adorable and fun game. It does look kinda rough with that resolution, kinda like playing something on Vita via remote play, but eh, I'll live.

Wise did a great job too, the music is very soothing and reminds me of the Lion King.

Chauzu

Well, when it comes to the Switch, they said many questionable things lately. So I don't really trust them anymore there.

- They said Dragon Quest Heroes, at least the demo, runs native in handheld mode, when it's clearly not. This mess is so blurry, no way in hell this is native. The UI yes, but not the game behind it. That was a point where I really thought "are they freaking blind"?
- They said Zelda has a few framerate problems at the beginning in handheld mode but besides that it almost never happens after and runs rock solid, which is also completely wrong, there are some areas where the framerate drops massively every single time and really often.
- They said Lego City Undercover runs pretty good in handheld mode without that much difference to docked while this game, in reality, runs like absolute garbage in handheld mode, always, nonstop under 20fps when you move the camera to the City, sometimes when you drive through the City, it's so bad that you have the feeling you are driving in slow motion. It is unbelievable how bad it runs in handheld mode. If you play it docked, it runs smooth as butter (with just a few fps problems, but the difference is mind-blowing).

So yeah, when it comes to the Switch, they really lost my trust and when they talked about that anti aliasing part in Snake Pass and that 475p on the switch screen doesn't really look that bad, I was literally rolling my eyes and asked myself if they are still the right people for this. (Or if they got paid because the whole Snake Pass video felt kind of awkward and like a promotional video, to be honest)

Don't get me wrong, they do an amazing work over there and I'm thankful that they exist. Sony should pay them for the work on their PS4 Pro videos and how good they are and actually help selling the system, but the Switch stuff really disappointed so far.

I feel they are being honest in delivering factual information and then giving them a subjective value. Obviously you disagree with their opinions here, but I agreem except for DQH, which I haven't played. For me the important part is that the factual information is correct, because once subjective opinions come into play, so will the disagreements.

This sounds more like you suck than the game sucks.

Game is a solid 7 on a bad day 8 on a good day.

It's a unique game that's worth trying for the controls/novelty alone, but I burned out less than halfway through the game. The music is great at first, until they insist on repeating the same tracks multiple times.

hao chi

I went ahead and bought it along with Thumper for a flight this weekend. Unfortunately my internet went out before the download finished, so I haven't tried it yet. Thumper is incredible though; I can't get enough of it.

ggx2ac

It's weird that Nintendo haven't even organised a sales discount section considering I had to search for Snake Pass but I couldn't see what the reduced price was since I already bought the game.

It's easy to tell from full priced retail games but indie games always vary in price that I can't remember.

It's weird that Nintendo haven't even organised a sales discount section considering I had to search for Snake Pass but I couldn't see what the reduced price was since I already bought the game.

It's easy to tell from full priced retail games but indie games always vary in price that I can't remember.

There's an "on sale" filter on the storefront on their website. Which is all I ever use.

But yeah they need to really overhaul the eshop on the Switch.

Ponchito

Really happy to have purchased this game. It's very unique. I played the first for levels without the pressure of getting 100% and just advancing. (Got 100% on the third level)

I'm going to play it casually as a relaxing experience.

Question: at the end of level four I got some green object as a reward after opening the gate but it is not explained what that is. Anyone got that?

Oreoleo

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this, already up to level 11. The blend of platforming with puzzle solving is really satisfying, and the smart level design never makes the game feel too frustrating but at the same time I can see I'm getting better over time.

The low res is pretty disappointing, the image is really blurry, but the AA and DOF does a decent job of covering up most shimmering and hard edges. It doesn't effect playing the game much at all (it would be unacceptable on something faster paced like Thumper or a Sonic game), but it's hard not to wish the IQ were better.

Neiteio

This... game... is... AWESOME!

Played the first three stages last night, and 100% each one (all keystones, blue bits and coins). Some of the coins took dozens of attempts, but I was smiling the whole time.

The game just feels great to control, once you grasp the concept of "snaking" across the ground to increase traction and speed, and winding around objects while tightening and relaxing your grip to climb higher, like grabbing and releasing rungs on a ladder.

I played on handheld. Honestly, I think it looks lovely. A bit too much DOF in cutscenes, and the grass looks a bit shimmery at a distance, but overall the game has a warm painterly look, with vibrant colors and soft grasses and well-sculpted structures.

The music is fantastic, of course. David Wise is perfect for this.

Also, I don't think it's HD Rumble, but the rumble here works well, lending a nice sense of weight to your character.

Really enjoying this so far. What a clever game this is!

Top Bottom