• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass on Switch is 40% off until July 4th (First Switch eShop Sale)

Neiteio

It was patched in the last patch they did. Then they did a new patch a few days ago and the rumble issue came back.
Rumble seemed fine to me while playing last night. A heavy thump when you fall from high places, or a light pulse when you grip.

forrest

formerly nacire
Trying to resist this game having picked up Gow3 and Ratchet&Clank on the Sony sale. This combined with Steam summer sale....

My Switch is crying out for attention!

What makes the rumble that bad exactly?
I was about to buy this tonight but I'm afraid about that.

It's just really intense. Like if the rumble has a 1-10 setting, every time you do something the rumble goes to 10. If that's something that concerns you enough to not get the game, then don't even worry - you can turn the rumble completely off, and when they release the patch that fixes it turn it back on. Not having rumble isn't game breaking in any way.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just bought this, never even heard of it but it looks pretty damn cool imo. Shit is taking forever to DL though dammit.

This... game... is... AWESOME!

Played the first three stages last night, and 100% each one (all keystones, blue bits and coins). Some of the coins took dozens of attempts, but I was smiling the whole time.

The game just feels great to control, once you grasp the concept of "snaking" across the ground to increase traction and speed, and winding around objects while tightening and relaxing your grip to climb higher, like grabbing and releasing rungs on a ladder.

I played on handheld. Honestly, I think it looks lovely. A bit too much DOF in cutscenes, and the grass looks a bit shimmery at a distance, but overall the game has a warm painterly look, with vibrant colors and soft grasses and well-sculpted structures.

The music is fantastic, of course. David Wise is perfect for this.

Also, I don't think it's HD Rumble, but the rumble here works well, lending a nice sense of weight to your character.

Really enjoying this so far. What a clever game this is!

Yeah, getting some of those coins in the first few worlds are hair pulling intense. But bro, once you start to click with the gripping, head movement and tail grabbing, the world opens up and fall off the map almost never again.

Nerrel

I wanted this on Switch to fill out my library, but I bought it on Steam as soon as I saw the 50% sale. I never expected such a steep cut so early on a Nintendo system. I'm considering refunding it to buy it on Switch, but I'm not sure it's worth it... the Steam version will be better looking and 60fps. Anyone have experience with both versions? Is Steam as plainly superior as it seems?

Neiteio

This game makes me happy.

My Switch library at the moment:

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Snake Pass
- Thumper
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Super Bomberman R
- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
- Snipperclips

All are great. Seeing them lined up on my home menu (all digital except BotW, which stays in the cart slot) and ready to play is like having my own personal arcade (with the dark theme for added ambiance)!

I guess Splatoon 2 is next. Unless there's another highly recommended game out now?

LordKano

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Snake Pass
- Thumper
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Super Bomberman R
- Snipperclips

All are great. Seeing them lined up on my home menu (all digital except BotW, which stays in the cart slot) and ready to play is like having my own personal arcade (with the dark theme for added ambiance)!

I guess Splatoon 2 is next. Unless there's another highly recommended game out now?

Wonder Boy is like the best eShop game out there.

FloatOn

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Snake Pass
- Thumper
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Super Bomberman R
- Snipperclips

thinking about getting into some neo geo games soon. It's been a minute since I've played Metal Slug.

Played some Snake Pass last night and I actually managed to pick up on the controls quite quickly. It's a lot of fun to actually use the controls and move or climb, I'm a bit surprised they managed to make something so simple so rewarding. I don't think I would've bought this if not for the sale, so I'm glad it went on sale.

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Snake Pass
- Thumper
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Super Bomberman R
- Snipperclips

I actually thought Wonderboy was really short and not terribly interesting, so I won't third that suggestion. I will say Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + probably has more than 2x the play time BotW does on my Switch, so I highly recommend that.

I also really liked Cave Story +, and I just bought Graceful Explosion Machine (along with Snake Pass) and find it super satisfying.

My list now:

BotW
1, 2, Switch
MK8D
Snipperclips
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+
Mr. Shifty (also kinda short, but the main mechanics are very satisfying)
Wonder Boy
Thumper
NBA Playgrounds (regret a bit, control scheme is way too wacky for me. I thought this would be simpler like NBA Jam/Hangtime)
Cave Story+
Snake Pass
Graceful Explosion Machine

Wow somehow I have 13 games less than 4 months in. Something about getting indies on a portable just feels so right.

Hybris

Refunded this on steam and got it on switch. First two levels are stressful as hell trying to get those coins, but I'm getting the hang of it. I've never played anything like this ever, and it's oddly satisfying. I've yet to use the tail grab so I don't even know what it does, guessing that will be covered at some point like the gripping was.

Oreoleo

I wanted this on Switch to fill out my library, but I bought it on Steam as soon as I saw the 50% sale. I never expected such a steep cut so early on a Nintendo system. I'm considering refunding it to buy it on Switch, but I'm not sure it's worth it... the Steam version will be better looking and 60fps. Anyone have experience with both versions? Is Steam as plainly superior as it seems?

From a purely technical perspective I don't see how the Steam version isn't completely superior. However. I'm a huge PC gamer so when a 3rd party game is on both platforms it's kind of hard to figure out which version I think I'd prefer (see also; Binding of Isaac, Thumper, Shovel Knight), and in the case of Snake Pass I think I made the right call getting it on Switch. It just feels right at home on the console. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Hybris

I've been playing 1 level before bed every night while lounging, if that sounds good to you I'd recommend it!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My Switch library consists of

Breath of the Wild
1 2 Switch
Kamiko

Man I wish I had the cash and free time the rest of you do.

My Switch library consists of

Breath of the Wild
1 2 Switch
Kamiko

Man I wish I had the cash and free time the rest of you do.

I manage to get in an hour or so in bed after my wife is asleep, and occasionally a bit of time before work or during lunch, and sometimes when I'm taking a dump. Even still, I do have a bit of a backlog with that list.

As for cash, I can't really help you there.

neurophd

I manage to get in an hour or so in bed after my wife is asleep, and occasionally a bit of time before work or during lunch, and sometimes when I'm taking a dump. Even still, I do have a bit of a backlog with that list.

As for cash, I can't really help you there.
"Backlog"....I am assuming no pun intended.

Mutant

Snake Pass is pretty cool, and temporal antialiasing is... Neat. The edges of everything seems smooth, but the graphics itself looks blurry, like a water painting.

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Snake Pass
- Thumper
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Super Bomberman R
- Snipperclips

Your list is super similar to mine except for arms and bomberman whereas I have neo turf masters and blazing stars

I have the same opinion as you. With switch I'm gaming more than ever and smaller games such as thumper or snake pass become awesome experiences when you can so easily play them in short bursts.

Eolz

Great game so far, but wow, no way to turn off the rumble?
It's nice for the grip, but everything else is badly tuned.

J@hranimo

Banned
Great game so far, but wow, no way to turn off the rumble?
It's nice for the grip, but everything else is badly tuned.

You can turn off the rumble through the system settings...I believe. It's funny how they're the only dev who released a Switch game to have this rumble issue in their game.

heringer

Game is really, really blurry when undocked. Docked it looks pretty good.

Only played the first two levels, but I'm enjoying it. I wish I could rebind buttons though, as I don't like holding ZR to move forward and the "easy" layout isn't very good.

Why did Nintendo go with so unsatisfyingly clicky shoulder buttons? I really don't get it. I feel like it will break if I keep pressing it.

Link_enfant

I've just noticed that the US eShop shows me the game as "Purchased", although I bought it on the EU eShop.
Is that normal?
Doesn't happen with other eShop titles

Eolz

You can turn off the rumble through the system settings...I believe. It's funny how they're the only dev who released a Switch game to have this rumble issue in their game.

Thanks! Only checked while a level was on pause, didn't look in the main menu lel.

I've just noticed that the US eShop shows me the game as "Purchased", although I bought it on the EU eShop.
Is that normal?
Doesn't happen with other eShop titles
Yep this happens with all of the games I've purchased off of the E-Shop. Only one that doesn't is Puyo Puyo Tetris. The Japan version is categorized as a different game on the Japan E-Shop.

N30RYU

Just purchased the game and beated the two first levels wih all the collectables. So far so good.

Best snake simulator out there.

Neiteio

Is there really no way to save mid-level if I want to take a break and play something else? Been on 2-2 for an hour now.

N30RYU

Is there really no way to save mid-level if I want to take a break and play something else? Been on 2-2 for an hour now.
You don't need to collect all in a single run. If you missed a coin you just can finish the level an when you play it again you'll only have to collect that coin.

Neiteio

You don't need to collect all in a single run. If you missed a coin you just can finish the level an when you play it again you'll only have to collect that coin.
So if I go back for a missed coin, I can collect it and quit without finishing and I'll have it?

Best snake simulator out there.

No.

13a7766337.gif

Neiteio

Oh, OK, I see now -- when you replay a level for what you missed, everything you got is already obtained (as in it no longer appears in the level), so the level is empty except for the keystones and whatever you missed. That'll make finding these things easier.

I took a risk and bought it. The discount convinced me.

I'm loving it so far but I have a few (major) complaints. Moving around with Noodle is not fun because I have to constantly switch pressing left/right to maintain my movement speed.
And the performance/fidelity undocked needs to be improved. It's very noticeable that I'm better at climbing poles when playing docked.

rudger

Hmmm, actually you can't turn off rumble. :(

What? It should be a system wide setting. I have turned it off and on repeatedly as it is noisy when playing in bed.

Edit: I'd tell you the exact setting steps, but taking my Switch out at work might be...not a great plan

w0s

Grabbed it and was hesitant because of the complaints on controls. I'm on the third level and I am by no means good but the controls feel tight and responsive. Loving it.

Waji

Ok I got Snake Pass yesterday. Played only a few seconds but it felt like the camera movement couldn't be changed freely (only the vertical axis) or that whatever I chosed, it wasn't going in a direction I was ok with. Did I do something wrong or is it normal... maybe ?

Do we have any idea about when the patch for vibration is coming ? "Soon" only ?

Edit : Nevernmind

Kremzeek

I played the first 2 levels and love it, except it's super annoying it doesn't save mid-level.

The game needs checkpoints. I hate having to re-collect stuff I already laboriously collected.

Neiteio

I played the first 2 levels and love it, except it's super annoying it doesn't save mid-level.

The game needs checkpoints. I hate having to re-collect stuff I already laboriously collected.
Actually, when you replay a level, everything you've already collected will be gone, so it's easy to find the stuff you missed.

Top Bottom