• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass will be fixing its home menu icon on Nintendo Switch

Neiteio

Yeah, it's really no big deal. One thing at a time. Just glad people are listening. Although I'm sure there are more than a few devs who are doing it through gritted teeth while thinking, ”You people are a bunch of weirdos."
They might, but hopefully they'll think instead to take pride in every aspect of a game's presentation, including that which may seem most trivial.

The icon is the first and last thing you see, on booting up and exiting to the home menu. It's the little details that add up to make a game feel like a true labor of love.

Yeah, it's really no big deal. One thing at a time. Just glad people are listening. Although I'm sure there are more than a few devs who are doing it through gritted teeth while thinking, ”You people are a bunch of weirdos."

A smart development team should be incredibly happy they're selling software on a platform full of engaged, passionate consumers.

Neiteio

A smart development team should be incredibly happy they're selling software on a platform full of engaged, passionate consumers.
Exactly. No one is obligated to like a game. If someone cares enough about your product that they feel compelled to opine on certain elements of it, that's a compliment! :)

traveler

Not Wario
I appreciate your take (even though I obviously prefer icons with titles), but I'm curious: You really preferred the original Lego World icon? The one with just grass and a river? I ask because that icon was simple to the point you would have no idea what it was without being told beforehand.

I felt like the visible Lego block staples in the terrain were enough to identify that it was a Lego title and the lack of any obvious IP/focus on nature was also enough for me to realize it was Lego Worlds and not one of the other Lego titles.

I think pulling off a textless icon is a lot harder than your standard titled icon with some key art for the game for sure, so I'd prefer the latter over a poor version of the former. I'd just take a tasteful, well executed textless icon over the best titled icon any day, though.

brad-t

An animated gif, showcasing the upgrade in action:

giphy.gif

The reaction from Sigurgeirsson was the most bewildering to me, especially when you see how much obviously-better the new icon is:

”A few of my coworkers had a hard time not reacting negatively," said Image & Form's Sigurgeirsson of the Reddit threads and Twitter responses to SteamWorld Dig 2's Switch art. ”And what were these people talking about? An icon!? What about the game, a magnificent game that we just spent 15 months making? Talk about style over substance... which wasn't right either, because the style of the game was magnificent too."

Exactly. You spent 15 months making a beautiful game. Of course your fans would hope you'd spend more than 15 seconds making what is, for all intents and purposes, the cover art. The same thing for Snake Pass and the other games that have been called out over this. It's a desire for a quality representation of the product that matches the product's quality itself. I can't imagine putting the huge amount of time and care into crafting a game, booting it up on Switch and seeing the first impression players would get is such a barren and thoughtless image—especially when the rest of the product is crafted with such aesthetic care.

This isn't meant to sound snarky. I've also never played Steamworld Dig before too and am really looking forward to trying it out! I'm just surprised to see how defensive the reaction from some devs has been.

OryoN

What did the original Steamworld Dig 2 icon look like?

E: Found it
DKBNhFjX0AAmhGH.jpg

Bunch of terrible icons

Yikes! It really does look awful when you bunch them altogether like that! When you seriously look into this matter(just read that Kotaku article), you can actually sympathize with the complaints. On top of that, I was not aware that the Nintendo guidelines states that the logo should be included with a game-related image. Not only does it look cheap without a logo, but unnecessarily lazy, and neither honors to the game you are trying to sell, nor the treasured tradition behind the appeal and love of video game logo art. Doesn't our beloved hobby deserve at least that?

sheaaaa

They might, but hopefully they'll think instead to take pride in every aspect of a game's presentation, including that which may seem most trivial.

The icon is the first and last thing you see, on booting up and exiting to the home menu. It's the little details that add up to make a game feel like a true labor of love.

Again with the "if I don't like how the icon looks the developers aren't taking pride in their game's presentation".

atr0cious

Again with the "if I don't like how the icon looks the developers aren't taking pride in their game's presentation".
No, it's, the devs didn't clearly define their logos according to Nintendo guidelines. Extremely doubtful this thread exists if Snake Pass new icon still had the logo. What even is the original steam world dig 2 icon? It didn't even have an s, so for all you know it's not even the game you're looking for.

Rmagnus

Banned
No, it's, the devs didn't clearly define their logos according to Nintendo guidelines. What even is the original steam world dig 2 icon? It didn't even have an s, so for all you know it's not even the game you're looking for.

Well I was waiting for them to update it before I buy it but now I am hooked on golf story so I guess I can wait for a little while longer

atr0cious

Well I was waiting for them to update it before I buy it but now I am hooked on golf story so I guess I can wait for a little while longer
I'll be buying it because I've been hearing people comparing it favorably to Samus Returns, but the new logo is super inviting. Just wish it had coop.

Rmagnus

Banned
I'll be buying it because I've been hearing people comparing it favorably to Samus Returns, but the new logo is super inviting. Just wish it had coop.

Switch is killing my wallet... I wanna get deemo as I loved VOEZ. Just bought dragon ball xenoverse 2. So saving funds for the upcoming Mario Odyssey followed by doom and xenoblade 2. My goodness what a year for gaming in general, it has been none stop since the start of the year.... Really hope 2018 will be just as good for gaming.

Switch owners have got to be the most pedantic motherfuckers lmao.

The PS4 has loads of shit icons and there hasnt been 100 threads on those.

RPGam3r

So bc other platforms suck for icons this one does too?

I mean I think this is odd too, but I do like the new icons more so I'm starting to buy in.

Neiteio

Anyone know if Kingdom New Lands updated its icon yet, or is it still just the yellow crown on a black square? They said they were going to fix it, they just didn't say when, and I don't know if it's already happened.

Anyone know if Kingdom New Lands updated its icon yet, or is it still just the yellow crown on a black square? They said they were going to fix it, they just didn't say when, and I don't know if it's already happened.

I don't believe so. They have a lot of work to do regarding the game's performance and my guess is the new icon + performance fixes will be included in the same patch.

BibiMaghoo

I would....feel the need to troll and change it to a plain colour icon matching the background of the OS....just for a week.

Neiteio

I don't believe so. They have a lot of work to do regarding the game's performance and my guess is the new icon + performance fixes will be included in the same patch.
Sounds good. I definitely want to pick up Kingdom: New Lands when the fixed icon launches, presumably with the performance patch. It looks stunning. The atmosphere at night during a storm with the rain ripples on the water is just dazzling. It's not often I see a "retro-style" game look and feel so evocative.

I wish the devs would give us an ETA on the update. I like plotting out which software I'll add to my system, and when.

So uh do something about it?

Nintendo made guidelines. Developers didn't follow them. Customers complained and got things changed.

PS4 owners have this power too. If the PS4 is full of ugly icons and people give a shit they should speak up. Depending on Sony's guidelines maybe things will change. I've always hated the icons on my PS3/PS4 but I never thought developers gave a shit about me giving a shit. Apparently they do.

Top Bottom