• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Edition possibly not sold in Quebec, Canada due to lack of translation

buttdiver

Our glorious french language has withstood another attack and has once again prevailed against this English terror, yes we get no snes mini but the french language gets to see another day! what a victorious day everyone rejoyce!!!

What language is this post in

You are one of us now my friend 👍

Grimsen

J'ai hâte que l'Office de la langue française s'attaque à l'internet! NeoGAF devrait être offert en français, ou bloqué du Québec!

/s

Baltic

Banned
I should have known better than to expect decent comments and arguments from fanboys around here. Maybe a little respect amidst your growing pain?

Ricker

J'ai mon'estie de voyage...

First of all,someone at Nintendo and whoever in Quebec usually takes care of this shit didnt do their jobs right...everything is set up for something like this not to happen...especially since there is French SNES in Europe...50hz over 60 hz...? c'mon,that is bullshit.

I hope,and I am pretty sure it will,that this will be resolved and we will be able to get some over here but by that time,especially for pre-orders,it will probably be too late.

Grimsen

Wonder why Nintendo doesn't want to talk

I think they fucked up. Someone at Nintendo panicked at the last second, thinking that the SNES Classic would get complaints since some of the games were offered in French in Europe, and decided to pull out of Quebec.

The thing is, the ESA+OQLF agreement is for games newer than 2007. There's a good chance it doesn't even apply here.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I think they fucked up. Someone at Nintendo panicked at the last second, thinking that the SNES Classic would get complaints since some of the games were offered in French in Europe, and decided to pull out of Quebec.

The thing is, the ESA+OQLF agreement is for games newer than 2007. There's a good chance it doesn't even apply here.

Yup. It's never been a problem with Virtual Console, retro compilations, etc. Looking at how they managed amiibos, Switch stock, the NES Mini and now the SNES, I have no problem believing it is squarely on Nintendo messing up / not giving a damn.

I should have known better than to expect decent comments and arguments from fanboys around here. Maybe a little respect amidst your growing pain?

Fanboys? Fanboys of what? The English language? What a ridiculous post. It seems to me (Going off this thread) that this is a law in Quebec so..... What exactly do you want?

UBISoft devs in Montreal are screwed :/

More so likely one of their lawyers.

HF2014

Dla criss de marde!!!

Seriously, fuck this province, and fuck Nintendo at the same time for not providing a properly box display.

So a journalist contacted the OQLF (the so-called "language police") about the situation, and they say they had nothing to do with Nintendo's decision. And Nintendo does not want to comment...

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...-une-decision-daffaires-de-nintendo-dit-loqlf

Yup. It's never been a problem with Virtual Console, retro compilations, etc. Looking at how they managed amiibos, Switch stock, the NES Mini and now the SNES, I have no problem believing it is squarely on Nintendo messing up / not giving a damn.

wow

I feel like the thread title should be updated to reflect that.

Exactly.

Why is that? If someone can live and work in Québec entirely in French and English isn't required to live a full life, shouldn't they be able to?
I mean Quebec is sandwiched to the east, West, and South by gigantic populations of English speakers and is in a commonwealth with the mother of the English language.

Seik

Banned

What the fuck are you talking about?

-------

Ah et aussi, c'est bien de voir qu'on est autant de Quebecois sur GAF, je pensais pas qu'on était autant! :D

BaconHat

So, the issue lies only with Nintendo?

One would think they would have least make sure they are right before cancelling all plans at the last second.

I mean Quebec is sandwiched to the east, West, and South by gigantic populations of English speakers and is in a commonwealth with the mother of the English language.

It's not that surprising. I've got friends that never learned English since they live up north and some that only know English, saying that another language is not needed where they live. It happens.

What the fuck are you talking about?

-------

Ah et aussi, c'est bien de voir qu'on est autant de Quebecois sur GAF, je pensais pas qu'on était autant! :D

Moi non plus.

Baltic

Banned
Fanboys? Fanboys of what? The English language? What a ridiculous post. It seems to me (Going off this thread) that this is a law in Quebec so..... What exactly do you want?

You know, people not getting their game is a bummer. I was anxious to get a snes classic as much as everyone here. Instead of seing it through, understand where the problem comes from, it's way more easier to bash on a law and an agreement they don't understand. That's were my fanboy comments comes from.

Neogaf isn't a forum about language policy, so I know where the heat will be in this thread. Still, just a bit of respect and decency would have been nice and a better way get to the bottom of the case. There were good comments afterward that help in the matter.

And what do you mean by "this is a law", you mean the 101 law? Yeah it is, but if you read other posts, it's not because of the law or the ESA agreement. From what we can gather, it simply is a business decision on Nintendo part.

Grimsen

You know, people not getting their game is a bummer. I was anxious to get a snes classic as much as everyone here. Instead of seing it through, understand where the problem comes from, it's way more easier to bash on a law and an agreement they don't understand. That's were my fanboy comments comes from.

Neogaf isn't a forum about language policy, so I know where the heat will be in this thread. Still, just a bit of respect and decency would have been nice and a better way get to the bottom of the case. There were good comments afterward that help in the matter.

And what do you mean by "this is a law", you mean the 101 law? Yeah it is, but if you read other posts, it's not because of the law or the ESA agreement. From what we can gather, it simply is a business decision on Nintendo part.

You're wrong. Nintendo's decision is squarely because of the regulation.

And this regulation deserves no respect. Promoting games in French is fine. Preventing games from being sold is grade A bullshit. Let people buy what they fucking want.

Baltic

Banned

And this regulation deserves no respect. Promoting games in French is fine. Preventing games from being sold is grade A bullshit. Let people buy what they fucking want.

Have you read what the OQLF has declared? They precisely mentioned the opposite.

Maybe you can help me understand what part of the regulation has caused so much trouble to Nintendo?

I' m also curious to hear what they will say has prevented them from releasing the Snes classic, but no other product in the province until now...

Grimsen

Have you read what the OQLF has declared? They precisely mentioned the opposite.

Maybe you can help me understand what part of the regulation has caused so much trouble to Nintendo?

I' m also curious to hear what they will say has prevented them from releasing the Snes classic, but no other product in the province until now...

It's quite clear once you read it. I could quote it, but I already did, so there you go.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=246757234

JRBechard

Thanks for the link.

I think we all agree it must not be about the packaging. About french versions existing in the world, do we know if it's that complicated going from PAL to NTSC for this kind of product?

I think it's just more trouble for them to have an SKU specifically for Quebec and wasn't worth it for the limited run the snes classic is getting. I guess it was backlash vs cost and they chose the backlash. Not responding is probably for the best cuz there isn't really a way to positively spin this.

Grimsen

Official Language police twitter account just posted that they have never stopped the snes classic to be launched in this province and this is all Nintendo's fault.

Watch the drama unfold, it's finger pointing time!

https://twitter.com/OQLF/status/900421321913454592

AFAIK, the OQLF will only actively do anything if there are complaints.

But it's fairly obvious that Nintendo's actions stem from the OQLF+ESA agreement that became a regulation under Charest's Liberal government in 2007.

But, Nintendo's not talking, so the OQLF can say they didn't have anything to do with it, sort of.

Baltic

Banned
I think it's just more trouble for them to have an SKU specifically for Quebec and wasn't worth it for the limited run the snes classic is getting. I guess it was backlash vs cost and they chose the backlash. Not responding is probably for the best cuz there isn't really a way to positively spin this.

Have you gotten your hands on the NES classic ? I do not, so I'm wondering what is the difference this time.

both th OQLF and Nintendo are in the bad

OQLF is horrible fo scaring away business with their complex regulation pissing off companies.

Nintendo is in the bad for being too easily scared away by the OQLF

Official Language police twitter account just posted that they have never stopped the snes classic to be launched in this province and this is all Nintendo's fault.

Watch the drama unfold, it's finger pointing time!

https://twitter.com/OQLF/status/900421321913454592

They're not actively preventing them from releasing it but Nintendo knows well the OQLF will strike as soon as it's released if it has untranslated games. It's a can of worms I don't blame them for wanting to avoid altogether.

They're not actively preventing them from releasing it but Nintendo knows well the OQLF will strike as soon as it's released if it has untranslated games. It's a can of worms I don't blame them for wanting to avoid altogether.

but Nintendo's agrument falls flat because the Mini-NES was released wtihout any problems.

but Nintendo's agrument falls flat because the Mini-NES was released wtihout any problems.

That's true but I don't remember if it had French as an option. I'll have to double check when I get home.

Edit: Games are all in English only but the menu is also available in French among other languages. Like others have said, it's probably something to do with Star Fox 2.

Grimsen

It depends, are there French version of nes games offered right now somewhere in the world? That seems to be the issue with a few of the games that are part of the SNES classic.

Have you gotten your hands on the NES classic ? I do not, so I'm wondering what is the difference this time.

AFAIK there are no french translations for games on the NES Classic so they cannot possibly be affected by this law since they do not exist.

SNES games on the other hand do have French translations.

Euler007

Those regulation are in place because at the time if you wanted to buy something you had better speak white or get the hell out of the store. I'm sure you'll be able to get one if you want one, and if you can't because of Nintendo's unilateral decision, emulators.

Grimsen

Those regulation are in place because at the time if you wanted to buy something you had better speak white or get the hell out of the store. I'm sure you'll be able to get one if you want one, and if you can't because of Nintendo's unilateral decision, emulators.

Video games is how I learned English. Let the market dictate if French versions of games is commercially viable. Involving the state for that is downright xenophobic.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
AFAIK there are no french translations for games on the NES Classic so they cannot possibly be affected by this law since they do not exist.

SNES games on the other hand do have French translations.
Is Kirby in French on the NES Mini? Because it definitely had a French version back in the day.
Video games is how I learned English. Let the market dictate if French versions of games is commercially viable. Involving the state for that is downright xenophobic.
Yuck.

BaconHat

Is Kirby in French on the NES Mini? Because it definitely had a French version back in the day.

Yuck.

Pour ceux qui veulent voir Kirby adventure en francais : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYfxQbRmp4

Honestly, at this point i think the blame can be pinned on Nintendo, since the french pal game theory should also have stopped the Nes Classic.

Edit : Looking at it a bit more, there also exist a french canadian ntsc version.

I also learned the language like this, but i would have loved having the choice when i was younger. Would have made at least Point and Click Adventure games understandable. For me, having more voice languages given to the player is a good thing.

Grimsen

Pour ceux qui veulent voir Kirby adventure en francais : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYfxQbRmp4

Honestly, at this point i think the blame can be pinned on Nintendo, since the french pal game theory should also have stopped the Nes Classic.

Edit : Looking at it a bit more, there also exist a french canadian ntsc version.

I also learned the language like this, but i would have loved having the choice when i was younger. Would have made at least Point and Click Adventure games understandable. For me, having more voice languages given to the player is a good thing.

Like I posted before, promoting games in French is fine. Preventing games from being sold is grade A bullshit.

None of you actually bothered to read the Journal de Montréal article, have you?

The rep of OQLF said the contract with the ESA from '07 only applied to games from the PS3/360/Wii generation and newer. Meaning it doesn't apply to SNES games.

This is on Nintendo and Nintendo only.

BaconHat

Like I posted before, promoting games in French is fine. Preventing games from being sold is grade A bullshit.

It still does not explain why they would be preventing the SNES now and not the NES Classic then. It really look like Nintendo jumped the gun themselves without making sure it could not be sold first.

None of you actually bothered to read the Journal de Montréal article, have you?

The rep of OQLF said the contract with the ESA from '07 only applied to games from the PS3/360/Wii generation and newer. Meaning it doesn't apply to SNES games.

This is on Nintendo and Nintendo only.

Can Nintendo rectify this with future shipments or is the damage already done?

There was no damage. Nothing prevents Nintendo from releasing SNES games in English in Québec. They chose to not release the thing there because they are a bunch of fuckers.

I'm sorry but that's not true.

Metroid Prime Trilogy
The Wonderful 101

Are two example I can think of that were affected by this.

Both of these games were sold in Québec. I bought Prime Trilogy.

BaconHat

I'm sorry but that's not true.

Metroid Prime Trilogy
The Wonderful 101

Are two example I can think of that were affected by this.

The copy i've bought in-store make me think they were either exceptions to this, or that info is dead wrong. (Granted, maybe not at Best Buy, i never checked there at the time, but it was definitively buyable at EB Games.)

Edit : Went and checked my box, i got English, French and Spanish on it too.

Top Bottom