• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Edition possibly not sold in Quebec, Canada due to lack of translation

BY2K

Membero Americo
The copy i've bought in-store make me think they were either exceptions to this, or it is wrong. (Granted, maybe not at Best Buy, but it was definitively buyable at EB Games.)

I had pre-ordered mine from Future Shop (before they disappeared for Best Buy) and on launch day they told me they weren't selling the game because of the agreement thing.

Then I went to EBGames and bought it.

And it DID have French and Spanish...

I don't know anymore...

BaconHat

I had pre-ordered mine from Future Shop (before they disappeared for Best Buy) and on launch day they told me they weren't selling the game because of the agreement thing.

Then I went to EBGames and bought it.

And it DID have French and Spanish...

I don't know anymore...

I'll need to check on my wii u, but it also seems the text in-game was translated too : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHQjJzvT-P8

It probably was FutureShop/Best Buy being idiots again.

Edit :

I got it! They are working on a special edition with a french localization for Mother 3!

That's why!

Gonna take a while before we arrive at a GBA classic.

Grimsen

None of you actually bothered to read the Journal de Montréal article, have you?

The rep of OQLF said the contract with the ESA from '07 only applied to games from the PS3/360/Wii generation and newer. Meaning it doesn't apply to SNES games.

This is on Nintendo and Nintendo only.

It's definitely on Nintendo. If I had to take a guess, they're interpreting the SNES classic as a new console. The contract is not clear when it comes to ports, remakes and remasters.

BY2K

Membero Americo
None of you actually bothered to read the Journal de Montréal article, have you?

The rep of OQLF said the contract with the ESA from '07 only applied to games from the PS3/360/Wii generation and newer. Meaning it doesn't apply to SNES games.

This is on Nintendo and Nintendo only.

It's definitely on Nintendo. If I had to take a guess, they're interpreting the SNES classic as a new console. The contract is not clear when it comes to ports, remakes and remasters.

But that doesn't make sense.

They DID release the NES Classic here.

Why would they choose not to release the SNES Classic here?

BaconHat

But that doesn't make sense.

They DID release the NES Classic here.

Why would they choose not to release the SNES Classic here?

At this point, i can only think of 2 reasons :

1- We are missing a critical info from Nintendo that would make all of this make sense. Right now, all of our theory does not hold up under scrutiny.

2-Nintendo are acting like idiots.

Ooccoo

People saying it is not Loi 101 are wrong. Ok, texhnically it is the ESA agreement, but this is directly linked to Loi 101. No need for such an agreement if there is not a law in the équation.

BaconHat

People saying it is not Loi 101 are wrong. Ok, texhnically it is the ESA agreement, but this is directly linked to Loi 101. No need for such an agreement if there is not a law in the équation.

Except for the part that in that this would also have blocked the sale of the NES classic based on that reasoning, since they were french canadian translations of some of the NES games that were not put on it.

The Journal de Montréal (biggest (regrettably) news publication in Quebec) published an article confirming that OFLQ and its French media rule does not apply to the current situation, and that this is strictly a 100% business decision on Nintendo's part.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...-une-decision-daffaires-de-nintendo-dit-loqlf

So now we have it: Nintendo is so afraid of the possible negative reception from the games not being translated in French that they opted to simply not release it in Quebec.

Can a mod edit the title?

Edit: Also Nintendo is not returning calls on the matter. What a shit show, Nintendo. You guys are a bunch of jerks! This story is generating more negative press and feedback than just releasing the thing ever would!

shira

The Journal de Montréal (biggest (regrettably) news publication in Quebec) published an article confirming that OFLQ and its French media rule does not apply to the current situation, and that this is strictly a 100% business decision on Nintendo's part.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...-une-decision-daffaires-de-nintendo-dit-loqlf

So now we have it: Nintendo is so afraid of the possible negative reception from the games not being translated in French that they opted to simply not release it in Quebec.

So who do you think gave the order on this Nintendo of Canada, NOA, or Kyoto?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

So who do you think gave the order on this Nintendo of Canada, NOA, or Kyoto?
My guess:

Nintendo of Canada wasn't entirely sure how the agreement would apply to old ROMs packaged into a "new" console, and didn't bother checking because "fuck it, we'll sell all our allocation within minutes anyway".

krae_man

Edit: Also Nintendo is not returning calls on the matter. What a shit show, Nintendo. You guys are a bunch of jerks! This story is generating more negative press and feedback than just releasing the thing ever would!

It's a 100% business decision by Nintendo no matter what. Either they incorrectly assumed the law/agreement or whatever apply to them, and decided not to sell it. Or the law/agreement did apply and they choose not to modify the SNES classic in Quebec so it complies with said law/agreement.

My guess:

Nintendo of Canada wasn't entirely sure how the agreement would apply to old ROMs packaged into a "new" console, and didn't bother checking because "fuck it, we'll sell all our allocation within minutes anyway".

This is my take on the situation as well.

Timeless

There's enough space on the SNES Classic for both English and French versions of the ROMs. French releases would run at 50Hz, but it's better than nothing.

Timeless

^
Except PAL content usually doesn't work on American TVs. All you'll get is a black display.
What are you talking about? My midrange TV from 2014 supports 50Hz. As far back as 2007's US Blu-Ray release of Planet Earth, you have PAL50 content. I think it's even part of the Blu-Ray spec.

There's enough space on the SNES Classic for both English and French versions of the ROMs. French releases would run at 50Hz, but it's better than nothing.

I'd rather have nothing than poorly optimized PAL conversions with jittery scrolling due to forcing a 60hz refresh.

scamander

Banned
What are you talking about? My midrange TV from 2014 supports 50Hz. As far back as 2007's US Blu-Ray release of Planet Earth, you have PAL50 content. I think it's even part of the Blu-Ray spec.

According to blu-ray.com the 2007 release of Planet Earth is in 1080p and doesn't include any supplemental bonus material. The only Blu-rays that afaik include PAL content are produced by Independent labels from PAL countries. And I've read more than enough complaints by Americans who imported said Blu-rays and were not able to watch the PAL content. However, maybe things have changed the last few years or the problem isn't with the TVs but with the Blu-ray players.

This doesn't make sense.... AT ALL: nintendo of canada's GM is a FRENCH CANADIAN for god's sake. Pierre Paul Trepanier, that's his name.

I think this might be NOA's call or NOJ's call.

Top Bottom