• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Sir Doom

This has finally motivated me to get my RetroPie going. Going to put it in a "SNES" case. I really wanted to get a SNES Classic, but this is ridiculous, and the NES Classic experience was bad enough the last go round.

Good luck to all who are going to continue trying to get one.

RxzPaBE.jpg

O8uBmGB.jpg
If there's a Super Famicom version I'll get it

I had a lot going on yesterday so I wasn't on the Internet at all hours of the day, guess I'm just SOL from ever getting a product I actually wanted to play and enjoy. Thanks Nintendo.
You do realize that pre orders aren't the only way to get one and they're gonna sell them at retail, right?

I wonder if for every wave of Minis they get, they'll be creating a different order page to counteract bot programs. That's going to be a complete crapshoot ordering one off amazon if that's the case.

Doesn't make a difference when they allow people to order 50-70 in one shot.

Fury451

Banned
You do realize that pre orders aren't the only way to get one and they're gonna sell them at retail, right?

How easy do you really think that'll be?

The issue is still about how Nintendo handles and produces these things, there's not going to be overproduction for retail so that everyone who wants one will get one.

LiK

Funny story. My sis told that her husband went to a local GS to preorder it and was in line and happened to get the last one there. The guy behind him was outta luck. The manager even gave him a fist bump for being the last preorder. Happy for him, sad for the guy behind him.

Grady

First time I ever participated in something like this. What an awful experience. Had it in my cart from Best buy, Target and Wal-Mart. Disappeared during checkout on every order. Was going to get one for my son. Probably not anymore. Work during week, can't take a day off for this. Just aggravating when you see all these people online bragging how they got like 8 with a bot. Terrible.

Funny story. My sis told that her husband went to a local GS to preorder it and was in line and happened to get the last one there. The guy behind him was outta luck. The manager even gave him a fist bump for being the last preorder. Happy for him, sad for the guy behind him.

ur brother-in-law to the guy behind him in line

maxresdefault.jpg

Biske

These products combined with the lack of competent virtual console is the greatest argument for piracy I've ever seen.

It's absurd when to get a product I have to plan ahead like it's my next vacation.

Taking yesterday as a sign I'm not meant to get one. Had no chance for the WM/Target ones, GS wouldn't load although sounds like I wouldn't have been able to get one there either, and to top it off, I was actually willing to pay the ridiculous $200 on ThinkGeek for the one with the Ryu statue, but the site crapped out for me while they were still in stock and by the time it started working - all gone. I managed to score the NES Classic on a restock so I'll hope I get lucky with this one too, and if not, no big deal. Not worth stressing over.

Personally, I don't think people would be so pissed if Nintendo had a Virtual Console up and running on the Switch.

The virtual console was up and running on the 3ds and the Wii U last year when the NES mini launched. With the exception of Yoshi's island and Starfox 2, people have been able to access these games direct from Nintendo for years. Granted, I hear Wii U emulation is shit on SNES but it's supposedly very good on the 3ds. If the idea of being able to play those games docked or undocked on Switch wasn't so damn appealing, I'd load up my new 3dsXL with every VC SNES game of interest and be done with it.

Lucky to get this far, but no one's safe until it's in your hands. I'm still worried about getting walmarted.

I'm confident about the Euro ones, 99% sure I'll get those. Not so sure about the Amazon.com ones, I guess it's likely they'll cancel 2 and leave me with one, but that's no big deal. And if they cancel all three eh I'll live, it's the uglier version anyway.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yes they would.

People don't want the games. They want the mini console.

Assuming performance and visual/audio quality is identical (as well as including things like scanline options) I'd prefer them on the Switch.

Assuming performance and visual/audio quality is identical (as well as including things like scanline options) I'd prefer them on the Switch.

That's your preference but it ignores the reason this item is coveted in the first place. It's a retro item and it's all based on nostalgia.

Nobody lined up for the Switch because they wanted a $300 console that may allow them to pay $8-$10 per SNES title on the eShop.

No offense to those want it in the Switch, but people saying things like "people wouldn't care of these were available on the Switch" are not being truthful.

Snazzy

Neo Member
Why? I've seen plenty of people here say they ordered multiples for whatever reason. And nobody attacked them (except that one dude who ordered 68 from Amazon, lol).

I hope you're kind enough to help friends or family, or perhaps even some gaffers get 1 if these things wind up being super rare. ;)

RedZaraki

Banned
Hey Nintendo.

Making every piece of hardware you release limited supply does not make you appear like a "premium" company.

It makes you appear as a company with logistics problems.

By limited supply logic, why not only produce 1000 units? Then they're REALLY "premium".

God this is stupid. Just make fucking more hardware. Jesus.

bumpkin

I wish my story went like that.

Yesterday I was at work when they started, so I asked my wife to stop at GS around 1:15pm or so. She called me and said the clerk told her they weren't taking preorders yet. Having had dumb luck there with the Switch and getting a preorder around dinner time the day they opened (they're a low volume store), I called them when I was leaving work around 5 hopeful. The person who answered told me they sold out of preorders.

I'm not saying they lied to her, but it's pretty bullshit that they didn't offer the placeholder (the Xbox headset) other stores were doing for people who came in before their system updated.

Saganator

I'm so scared that my WalMart preorder is going to get cancelled.

When WalMart cancelled preorders for the NES Classic, at what point were they cancelled? Days after placing the order, or was it right before it was supposed to ship?

Afrocious

Yeah (closer to 14, from like 6 different countries, and I cancelled most of them before release), the ones I kept went to friends and GAFers.

You and I are in a similar boat via SNES Classics. Still trying to form my end goal. I have both US and EU preorders (that haven't been cancelled yet).

While I don't have 10+ like some folks do, I'm leaning toward chilling out and not actively searching for any more.

When WalMart cancelled preorders for the NES Classic, at what point were they cancelled? Days after placing the order, or was it right before it was supposed to ship?

It was like a week after, absolutely no preorders have shipped nor will they til release week in september

EDIT: oh thought you meant the SNES Classic WM preorder shitshow from a month ago, misread

MrMephistoX

Don’t know about the NES but last month with the SNES it was within 2 days for me but sooner for others on GAF. Wal-Mart released a statement within 24 hours citing the error and that all pre-orders would be cancelled: so far nothing like that’s happened so fingers crossed for your preorder and mine at Best Buy.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Hey Nintendo.

Making every piece of hardware you release limited supply does not make you appear like a "premium" company.

By limited supply logic, why not only produce 1000 units? Then they're REALLY "premium".

They are a company with logistics problems. They've admitted as much. Thjey have limited supply lines and are having issues procuring components as they are competing with Apple and Samsung, albeit the last point only applies to issues with Switch manufacturing.

I guess my last hope is to just camp out in front of the Nintendo store

SNES is my favorite console. But I hate having to constantly use my cartridges and adding wear to my minty boxes.

muteki

Hey Nintendo.

It isn't really an inability to produce quantities that creates the scarcity issue, it is the decision to stop sales/production after only being ~3 months on the market. Even if they committed to producing/selling these for a 12 month period, it would make a huge difference.

And the 3 month limit is an intentional, conscious decision on Nintendo's part. It has nothing to do with production or supply chain. They decide when to turn the line on and off.

mindatlarge

Why? I've seen plenty of people here say they ordered multiples for whatever reason. And nobody attacked them (except that one dude who ordered 68 from Amazon, lol).
Taking in consideration there were a lot of fans here on GAF that weren't able to secure just one for their own use, some people can get frustrated. Posts of others going on and on or where they are bragging about their multiple orders, can cause other users that are dying to get just one to flare tempers. I'm not condoning that, but it's just common sense and comes off as poor taste, in my opinion.

And I'm not necessarily saying you're doing that, I actually don't think you are. But some may perceive it as that.

Afrocious

Taking in consideration there were a lot of fans here on GAF that weren't able to secure just one for their own use, some people can get frustrated. Posts of others going on about their multiple orders for an item they are dying to get just one of can lead to tempers flaring. I'm not condoning that, but it's just common sense and comes off as poor taste, in my opinion.

Yeah, definitely.

Bragging sucks the most too.

evil ways

I guess my last hope is to just camp out in front of the Nintendo store

SNES is my favorite console. But I hate having to constantly use my cartridges and adding wear to my minty boxes.

Toys R Us. No pre-orders, first come first serve and at least mine is doing 1 per customer.

I woke up feeling happy that I got one of the lower priced thinkgeek bundles.

SNES was such a big part of my childhood... It sucks that everyone needs to go through this BS for a little nostalgia.

Yeah, definitely.

Bragging sucks the most too.

It does, but it's better to take the high road and congratulate someone that won it than to be a hater, so to speak. Right now I'm more hating the game that Nintendo set up, TBH.

I didn't manage to get one yesterday, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Afrocious

It does, but it's better to take the high road and congratulate someone that won it than to be a hater, so to speak. Right now I'm more hating the game that Nintendo set up, TBH.

I didn't manage to get one yesterday, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Indeed. Like I said in an earlier post, you basically got folks who are making lemonade with the lemons given to them. Nintendo makes a bullshit market that's profitable. The odd thing is that I have no idea how the scarcity helps Nintendo.

Top Bottom