• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

sotojuan

Kinda wish the GameStop/Thinkgeek preorders would arrive on the 29th, not ship that day. I've been spoiled by Amazon/Best Buy preorders.

zigg

need that extra time to scour the warehouse for the tetris lamps and megaman cosplay items to ship with it
Real talk, I was prepared to buy that Tetris lamp. I thought it was kind of neat

In the end I couldn't anyway 🤷🏻*♂️

TheMan

So just to clarify, when my boy Reggie said they were making more units, did he mean that it would be in production for a longer time than the NES classic or that there would be a shit ton of units available at launch?

Or both?

So just to clarify, when my boy Reggie said they were making more units, did he mean that it would be in production for a longer time than the NES classic or that there would be a shit ton of units available at launch?

Or both?

Both.

They claim that on launch SNES classic will have the same number of units available as NES classics sold over their lifetime (~2.3 Million I believe). And additional units will be reissued throughout 2018.

Both.

They claim that on launch SNES classic will have the same number of units available as NES classics sold over their lifetime (~2.3 Million I believe).

Not lifetime. They'll have as much on launch day as NES shipped last year (so November + December). NES continued to ship until April.

Also I think your sales number is worldwide, and I bet Reggie is only talking about North America numbers.

I'm debating FF6 since I've never played it, but I feel like a better version exists nowadays.
Believe it or not: not really!

I mean, okay, the GBA version might add an extra dungeon or something, but then you're dealing with the downgraded soundtrack. PS1 version is more or less identical barring some CG cutscenes, but has long loading times. Lastly, the less said about the iOS/Steam version, the better.

Both.

They claim that on launch SNES classic will have the same number of units available as NES classics sold over their lifetime (~2.3 Million I believe). And additional units will be reissued throughout 2018.
Is there a source for this? All I remember is French retail outlets saying their initial allocations matching lifetime for the NES Mini.

Is there a source for this? All I remember is French retail outlets saying their initial allocations matching lifetime for the NES Mini.

Right from the horse's mouth: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-increases-inventory-of-super-nes-classic-edition

Due to incredible demand for the upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, Nintendo plans to ship the retro-inspired product into 2018. Originally, shipments were announced to cease at the end of this calendar year.

In addition, more units of Super NES Classic Edition will ship on its Sept. 29 launch day in the U.S. than were shipped of NES Classic Edition all last year, with subsequent shipments arriving in stores regularly. Fans have shown their unbridled enthusiasm for these Classic Edition systems, so Nintendo is working to put many more of them on store shelves.

Although the post you quoted was wrong on the details (last year vs lifetime)

I mean, okay, the GBA version might add an extra dungeon or something, but then you're dealing with the downgraded soundtrack. PS1 version is more or less identical barring some CG cutscenes, but has long loading times. Lastly, the less said about the iOS/Steam version, the better.

GBA version has a better translation too. The soundtrack was buchered and the colors are way off though. There are fan mods to correct the color palette and improve the soundtrack, but unfortunately the restored soundtrack is monaural only.

Chitown B

This.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, original SNES version is the best existing version off FF6(3).

Celine

Right from the horse's mouth: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-increases-inventory-of-super-nes-classic-edition

Although the post you quoted was wrong on the details (last year vs lifetime)
Nintendo shipped about 1.5 million NES Classic last year (LTD 2.3 million units), if that statement is really true then at launch there will be 1.5 million SNES Classic available worldwide.

I'm debating FF6 since I've never played it, but I feel like a better version exists nowadays.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghost will be interesting to play.

Should give Secret of Mana a try as well, but that remake is hitting in a few months....

MMX is always fun to replay, wonder if my friend has played it. Could be fun to show him what it's like.
FF6 on SNES is still the best.
On the other hand Secret of Mana has many bugs so maybe go for the remake (although the 3D graphics are a bit dull).

Nintendo shipped about 1.5 million NES Classic last year (LTD 2.3 million units), if that statement is really true then at launch there will be 1.5 million SNES Classic available worldwide.

FF6 on SNES is still the best.
On the other hand Secret of Mana has many bugs so maybe go for the remake (although the 3D graphics are a bit dull).

I'm debating if it's worth it to line up at Best Buy right after work on Thursday the 28th. I don't mind hanging there all night. I just don't want to do it unless they have enough...

I'm still kind of surprised they didn't include Super Mario All-Stars. Heck, considering it's 4 games in one, could've been a cheap way to say that there's technically 25 games included.

Because Nintendo is forever going to ignore the best version of Super Mario Bros. 2 (US) ever created :(

spad3

seller cant ship to US.

Small update for everyone, I spoke with a GameStop rep, a Target rep, a BestBuy rep, and a Walmart rep. All of them said that their locations aren't getting too many extra units outside reserves. I got various numbers from all of them and they based their numbers off of the NES Classic. GameStop said no more than 5 extra per store (on average), Target said no more than 10 extra per store, BestBuy said no more than 10 extra per store, Walmart said no more than 8 extra per store.

If you're camping out, be wary as the quantities - at launch - are extremely limited and will remain this way until Nintendo resupplies the retailers.

seller cant ship to US.

Small update for everyone, I spoke with a GameStop rep, a Target rep, a BestBuy rep, and a Walmart rep. All of them said that their locations aren't getting too many extra units outside reserves. I got various numbers from all of them and they based their numbers off of the NES Classic. GameStop said no more than 5 extra per store (on average), Target said no more than 10 extra per store, BestBuy said no more than 10 extra per store, Walmart said no more than 8 extra per store.

If you're camping out, be wary as the quantities - at launch - are extremely limited and will remain this way until Nintendo resupplies the retailers.

Did they say anything about unit limits per customer?

kaioshade

seller cant ship to US.

But, but, Nintendo said units would be available and plenty to go around.
LOL

C.Mongler

The SNES version is still almost definitively the best version. It has some wonky translations here and there, but the sound, graphics, and gameplay are all untarnished.

The GBA one is decent, but the sound quality is a lot worse, and they nixed a lot of the bugs/glitches that IMO make the end-game a lot more bearable if you use them to cheese some parts of the game. Not a bad version to play though, and there are patches out there that bring it closer to the SNES version to if you are emulating it/using a flash cart.

The PC/Mobile version looks fucking atrocious. Game plays fine, but my god are the graphics and UI ugly. I can't recommend it at all just for how badly it destroys the art style for one of the best looking 16-bit games there was.

The PS1 version is comparable to the SNES version except for one major thing: the load times. I played this version for my playthrough of FF VI. Do not make this your version of FF VI to play; the load times are horrid. Every time you open a menu, go in/out of a building/town/cave, every time you get into the battle, the game stalls for 3 seconds or so to load. At first it's fine, since "it's only a couple seconds", but as time goes on and you realize how much time you've just been sitting there waiting for shit to load, it starts to drive you nuts. I probably spent an extra hour or two playing this game in load times alone by the end of it compared to had I just played the SNES version.

jacobeid

Banned
I think this is the first time I have a global preorder
A US preorder France preorder and a Japan preorder

I pre-ordered the pink/green joycons and a regular switch pro controller at launch when they weren't easy to find in the US, but this is my first global pre-order for a console (Japan).

I don't think I'll be able to play many of the games due to language barriers, but the ones that I really want to play will be fine. I'm excited, and thankful to have secured a pre-order after trying so hard to get one in the US :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just sold my preorder on eBay for $164.99

... What is wrong with people? I listed and sold it in about 10 minutes. Reggie told them NOT to buy it over MSRP. I guess I'll be the sucker if/when these things go for over $200 on launch.

Oh well, that's an easy $50 clear after shipping, eBay fees, etc.

Weird.

I just sold my preorder on eBay for $164.99

... What is wrong with people? I listed and sold it in about 10 minutes. Reggie told them NOT to buy it over MSRP. I guess I'll be the sucker if/when these things go for over $200 on launch.

Oh well, that's an easy $50 clear after shipping, eBay fees, etc.

Weird.

I sold four on GAF today. The thirst is real. I'm only making about $20 to $30 a pop though. Still beats the risk/stress of ebay for me, and I get to communicate with GAFers which makes my addiction to this place more fun/productive :)

How much? I'm going to laugh if Reggie is right and these things are everywhere.

They won't.

I edited my post.

So far all four were Super Famicom Mini units. I have a few Euro ones still hoping to unload.

Might have one or two (depending on if my friend wants one) US ones to offer when Amazon confirms the delivery date.

How many threads do you need to advertise in #addingironichashtagsmakesmyshitpostingok

In exactly the threads where people are looking for these things? That's your answer.

It's "shit posting" to you. It's a valuable service to many others. And I have the receipts to prove it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
In exactly the threads where people are looking for these things? That's your answer.

I would have thought the buy sell trade threads are where people would go if they were looking to buy things, not preorder threads.

Valuable service lmao.

This thread is for preorder discussion, not for sales. Take the "valuable service" to the right thread

I think one post in the entire thread isn't unreasonable, especially when it is directly replying to a specific and recent post.

If mods disagree, they can let me know and it won't happen again.

When someone says they preordered 68 SNES Classics from Amazon and will sell them at cost to GAFers, then it's okay to have 2 pages of people saying "I'll take one please! PM'ed!"... that's Ok with you. But someone asks for $20 to make it worth their while to write and receive 15+ messages and emails, then it's let's get the pitchforks!

Syriel

*ahem* I'm selling European models in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Maybe I can beat Play Asia's price? :p

#shamelessplug #judgemeallyouwant

It's "shit posting" to you. It's a valuable service to many others. And I have the receipts to prove it.

It's in the OP:

Hello, and welcome to the SNES Classic Preorder Discussion thread. First, some rules:

1. NO RESELLING "ETHICS/MORALS/MONOLOGUE/ITHINKITS" DISCUSSION. Get out with that endless circle drama.

It's even in caps.

And it could be considered self-promotion.

There is a BST thread. You're free to sell for any price you like there. No one cares if you want to scalp for a profit. You do you. Just do it where it's on topic.

Top Bottom