• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES classic to cost R$ 999 on Brazil

Keinning

Taxes should make it more expensive than it should. R$999 for a SNES Classic cross this line by a mile. This ain't just taxes, put a good part of it on "being incredibly greedy and knowing a bunch of people will eat it up anyway"

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
Meanwhile I saw a Switch for US$ 700 these days. Prices are just going up. Looks like I'll see this Nintendo gen on YouTube only and buy a used Switch maybe five years from now when Nintendo already cut off support and half of the games are crippled in some way (still burnt after Wii U/Miiverse).

I hate this fucked up country where no public services work and everything just exists to fuck you up and take away your hard-earned money.

El Sabroso

wow, I am expecting to cost 3000 MXN (around 170 USD) here in Mexico but Brazil price is above by a huge margin

hope distribution systems can change for Nintendo in LATAM in the next years

The Hermit

Great way to avoid scalpers. /s

Can scalp when the government scalp before

reece.JPG

If it was even available officially here in Argentina, it would probably cost 400+ USD, considering most electronic prices are even higher than in Brazil.

The Hermit

This is half taxes and half the distributor wanting to have a fat profit.

When I heard this new distributor would handle Nintendo systems, I knew we would be even more fucked than before.

Their first action was to ban all Switch sales on Mercado Livre ( our e-bay).

If it wasn't for eShop I would buy like 3 games per year ( it's about 100 dollars each game).

As someone in Turkey I can relate to the pain of getting shafted by extreme price gouging though you all have it far worse.

Shinriji

People often cry a lot about Nintendo brazilian prices (and VG prices in general), but you can bet that they will preorder anyway.

DigSCCP

And they have the courage to complain about piracy in Brazil, this price is 90% of a full base job salary (called here as salário minimo).

Depois reclamam da pirataria, preço ridículo, quase 1 salário minimo num produto que deveria valer 1/3 desse valor.

Actually after INSS and FGTS ( Labor taxes in Brazil ) this is higher than base salary.
Its hard to be a gamer on Brazil.
Even harder if you like Nintendo.

Feichaw

You know there's something very, very, very wrong when it's cheaper to import it from USA and pay all the taxes than buying it here...

Camells

I fucking knew it!
Even with the goddamn outrageous taxes it shouldn't be this much expensive... like at all!
That's what happens when you let one company have the market monopoly especially on third world countries like mine, full on greed and treachery

Honome

Yeah... Brazil is a shit place... And unfortunately i live there. Can't blame people here for pirating and not buying games and consoles in official stores, the prices are just ridiculous.

Nheco

It will be "cheaper" to buy directly in amazon US. Amazon will charge you all the taxes beforehand, and in my experience, it will cost the twice of the MSRP, so, around 160~170 USD. Way cheaper, however not exactly "cheap".

MTC100

Banned
And people wonder why piracy is so big in the Third World.

These are not exactly fair prices.

I find it strange, on one hand you see countries like Russia getting special low prices on Steam while Europe pays full price and on the other hand countries like Brazil get completely screwed by prices while they don't seem to be that much better off than the majority of Russia.

If anything stuff should be LESS expensive in Brazil as the average income is a lot less there too but I know, it's always been that way it will always stay that way. Perhaps it's because of a corrupt government that cashes in with insane taxes.

Ivellios

This is why i buy my consoles on Paraguay, i got my PS4 for roughly half the price i would get it in Brazil. Will buy my future Switch there too.

This SNES price is ridiculous and i hope no one is dumb enough to pay this.

robrueda

In Colombia, Pre-orders went live last week for the SNES Classis for COL$ 429.000 that is USD 147 give or take. They sold out wihtin 15 minutes.

Just for reference this are the MSRP of other consoles in the country:

NES Classis COL$329.000 (USD 114) They can no longer be found, but you were able to get NES Classic at this prices for several months after it's release

Nintendo Switch COL$ 1.699.000 (USD 585) This Console is not moving, most people getting a Switch are buying it at the US and import them.

PS4 Slim COL$ 1.049.000 (USD 362)

Xbox ONE COL$ 799.000 (USD 275)

Xbox ONE S COL$ 1.049.000 (USD 362)

Xbox ONE X COL$ 2.299.000 (USD 793)

All these prices include a 19% Sales TAX

Unai

I find it strange, on one hand you see countries like Russia getting special low prices on Steam while Europe pays full price and on the other hand countries like Brazil get completely screwed by prices while they don't seem to be that much better off than the majority of Russia.

If anything stuff should be LESS expensive in Brazil as the average income is a lot less there too but I know, it's always been that way it will always stay that way. Perhaps it's because of a corrupt government that cashes in with insane taxes.

To be fair, PC games are usually cheaper here (Steam, Nuuvem or even physical discs). The problem is with hardware and console games.

Mariip

Why it has to be that high?

JLat also distributes here and is around S/ 459 which is around $135. Still high but not that high.
People bought ps4s here for R$4000,00, so that's why... there's no limit for seller's greed in a country where people are going to pay a hella lot of money only to have exclusive gaming shit, that's not even on the government anymore, there prices are outrageous

Keinning

People bought ps4s here for R$4000,00, so that's why... there's no limit for seller's greed in a country where people are going to pay a hella lot of money only to have exclusive gaming shit, that's not even on the government anymore, there prices are outrageous

i remember when the xbox elite controller had that pricing error saying it would cost R$1800 and some people online were still defending it and saying they would buy them as soon as they got released

overly expensive gadgets are a wet dream for people wanting to show how much money they have

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
To put things in perspective the minimum monthly wage here is R$ 937

Or US$ 298,89 by today's dollar. I laugh my fucking ass off when I read US people telling others that they're "poor" because they "only" make US$15k/year. Dude, I'd KILL to make that amount of money in a year. No joke.

JVLat's prices simply make no sense. I love that they absolutely refuse to explain how they reached this price, it's a good way to tell what they really think about BRs. This is a spit in our faces.

I'm also waiting for resellers to get their shit together, not paying $500+ for a Switch. Maybe I'm just a droplet in the ocean and it's a lost cause, but if people keep accepting that shit then there's no way out. All I know is that I'm doing my part.

EDIT: And stop with that pro-PT/anti-PT shit. Every fucking political party in this country is corrupt to the very core, if we're gonna attack only one of them we might as well put on our dunce hats and our clown noses, because it's everything we ever did in this regard here.

Top Bottom