• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

JordanN

Banned
One of my brother's brought the system over with some games when I was a kid.

I also had a friend with a SNES and played Mortal Kombat with him. Another friend had one and we played Super Mario Kart.

Fired up the Super Famicom and SNES tonight to play some Super Mario All Stars, Final Fight 2, and Zelda: LttP.

Personally it is right up there with the NES and Dreamcast for my most cherished gaming memories.

I think SFC games are going to eat up most of my gaming spending money when I head back to Japan in a few weeks...

The_Lump

Banned
If you own a SNES and you don't own Unirally/Uniracers: then you need to be punched in the sack.

Same applies for Cannon Fodder.

I remember me, my little brother, and my dad went to a store to buy SNES. Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World came with it. I remember playing Donkey Kong Country first then Super Mario World.

brainpann

Fired up the Super Famicom and SNES tonight to play some Super Mario All Stars, Final Fight 2, and Zelda: LttP.

Personally it is right up there with the NES and Dreamcast for my most cherished gaming memories.

I think SFC games are going to eat up most of my gaming spending money when I head back to Japan in a few weeks...

I'd probably have no money left for games dues to my Snes/sfc collection. Finally laid down some dough on a super everdrive(then a SD2SNES) and couldn't be happier. Really, if your are into Super Nintendo/Famicom collecting, it's worth it in spades to pick up either of those.

The_Lump

Banned
Revised list:

Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts
Unirally
Cannon Fodder
Pilot Wings
Mario Kart*
Super Mario World*
Donkey Kong Country*
Starwing*

*These should go without saying.

legacyzero

Banned
Revised list:

Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts
Unirally
Cannon Fodder
Pilot Wings
Mario Kart*
Super Mario World*
Donkey Kong Country*
Starwing*

*These should go without saying.
Oh damn, cant forget about Donkey Kong Country!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Mario Kart.

Oh damn, cant forget about Donkey Kong Country!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Mario Kart.

That game gets so much shit and I just don't get it. When I rented that on the week it released after being all hyped up about it from the previews in Nintendo Power and the VHS they sent out I thought it was awesome.

Some amazing music in there too.

The_Lump

Banned
That game gets so much shit and I just don't get it. When I rented that on the week it released after being all hyped up about it from the previews in Nintendo Power and the VHS they sent out I thought it was awesome.

Who gave DKC shit??! Slap them. Slap them hard.

legacyzero

Banned

I dont wanna live on a planet where there are people that dont like DKC.

jackal27

Banned
When my mom married my step-dad in '98, my step-brother had an SNES with just a few games. Toy Story, Mortal Kombat 3, Madden 97, and Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run I believe. I wasn't really into the console in those days at all. I remember playing Star Fox at a friend's house and being amazed that it could do 3D graphics though.

Then, in 2000, I bought the 100th issue of Game Informer where they listed the 100 Greatest Games of All Time. I read that magazine cover to cover too many times to count and it really introduced me to all these amazing retro games I had never seen or heard of. I remember I was particularly interested in Final Fantasy III (VI) and Dragon Warrior.

In 2001, my mom bought a new computer and a friend introduced me to emulators! He downloaded an SNES emulator for me and I had him download 3 roms, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Harvest Moon, and Final Fantasy VI. I loved all of those games so much! After that, I was hooked on emulators and would download roms, throw them on floppys, and put them on any computer I could get my hands on. That was the way I got started playing these games. GBA ports of games like Breath of Fire also helped.

Around 2002 or 3, the local Babbage's was clearing out their SNES stock and the employees of that store kind of treated me like a little brother, so they gave me some amazing deals on great games. I remember that I bought Illusion of Gaia, Super Mario Kart, Zelda: ALTTP, Star Fox, Breath of Fire 2 and Super Metroid for $5 each! I also bought Super Mario RPG for about $10. There were more, but I'm not sure which ones... A Japanese friend from school also gave me quite a few Super Famicom games and another friend showed me how to get my SNES to play them. My step-brother had all but ditched the console, so I adopted it. I still just wasn't THAT into it yet though. I was way more into PSone RPGs at this point in my life.

Then, during my senior year of high school in 2006 something clicked for some reason. Maybe it was the Wii's Virtual Console? Maybe it was listening to the podcast Retro Force Go? I don't know. Whatever the reason, I got REALLY into retro games. I just started collecting everything I could get my hands on and I really began to take notice of just how amazing the SNES was. Not just for the blockbuster hits, but for all the amazing hidden gems it has!

My freshmen year of college, the only console I took with me out of all the ones I own (15 in all) when moved into the dorms was my SNES (and eventually my DS). I didn't miss anything at all. I would boot up Turtles in Time or Street Fighter 2 in our lobby and immediately pull in a crowd of people passing controllers around. We would have Chrono Trigger parties and we all beat Zelda: ALTTP together. One of my favorite years of gaming ever.

I love my SNES. Last year during its 20th anniversary I spent the day playing each of the games in my collection for at least 5-10 minutes each (over 50 games in all). She's showing no signs of wear aside from the Restart button no longer working (it's not even yellow!) and I can't wait to see what the future holds. I can't wait to sit down with my kids and introduce them to games like Final Fantasy IV, Actraiser, Yoshi's Island, or Mega Man X. What a wonderful console.

The key is to have a nice 2002-2005 era CRT from Sony or Toshiba.

Here is one without flash:

And one with:

My camera kind of sucks.

DSix

Banned
StreetFighter.jpg

Had a Street Fighter 2 Bundle around the European launch. It was a big event. Soon after, Castlevania 4, Tiny Toons adventure, followed by Super Mario World.
Then Zelda, and later SoM, Megaman X, and a ton of other great games I forget. This system was so awesome.

tkscz

Growing up, I had 4, yes 4, SNES's (SNESi?).

1st SNES: Got it on Christmas when I was 5 (1993), it was the Super Mario World and Super Mario All-stars (Separate cartridges) edition. Few months later, it was stolen.

2nd SNES: Got it on the very next Christmas, it was the Killer Instinct edition (she also got us Mortal Kombat II, what an attentive mother I have). A year later, it got stolen.

3rd SNES: It was the Donkey Kong Country edition. And yes, it got stolen.

4th SNES: My Dad found it in his house WELL after I had my N64 (Of which he AND my mom got me), I kept that one until about 3 years ago, guess why I no longer have it.

I had 2 shoe boxes of SNES games, about 50 in all. Man I love that console.

FStop7

Banned
I had kind of a weird SNES experience.

I got a Genesis right after it launched in the USA and had stuck with it the whole time. When the SNES launched I largely ignored it since I was a kid with a part time job and could barely afford to buy games for one system, let alone two.

Then one day I think my junior year of high school (1993) my dad and I went to Incredible Universe, which was the Best Buy of its day. As we passed by the video game aisles my dad asked if I wanted a SNES. I think the price had dropped to $99 for the base console and two controllers at this point.

I said heck yeah I'd want a SNES, that was not the normal sort of thing my parents could afford on a whim so it was a great surprise. I got the base system and no games - I started renting them from Blockbuster or borrowing them from friends. I played through most of the popular titles, Starfox being the one I remember the most.

And then one day I was at a friend's house and a shady friend of his showed up with a Multi Game Hunter and a bunch of Japanese Super Famicom games on floppies. I had no idea that such things existed. I understood what it was and how it worked, I just didn't know there were commercial products like that out there. For better or worse it opened up a completely different world to me - Japanese games. The idea of importing games from Japan seemed so exotic at the time. I got to play a bunch of stuff I never would have otherwise experienced. I ended up buying an MGH of my own from my friend's shady friend and from that point forward I hardly ever played any US release games. Most of my time was spent finding ROMs of Japanese games on various BBSes (most of them hosted on Amigas running CNet in true 90s cyberpunk wannabe style). My SNES basically became my weird Japanese game box. So even though I had a SNES I largely missed out on some of its biggest US releases.

hunnies28

My dad took me to Toys R Us one day, I remember browsing all the games and he told me he was buyin the SNES for me ( Funny thing , he was never AFAIK much into games, yet he kept up to date for my sake I guess). I remember grabbing one of those old tickets that you had to pay and then going to another area to claim what you bought.
We got the SSFII bundle and the ride home was ETERNAL.

I didn't got to hang out much with my father but he would actually play Jurassic Park (lol) for me. Just because I was to scared to play it by myself.

Every time he started the game from the begining and only once he was close to finishing it and the game crashed. Hahaha he was really mad that day.

When my folks broke up he kept all the consoles/games. And haven't seem them since.

Now I'm sad GAF.

hao chi

I got an SNES as my first console for Christmas when I was either 5 or 6; got the one that came with Super Mario Kart and Super Mario World. I wasn't really a big gamer back then, but I played it at least a few times I week I think.

I don't remember actually beating any games myself, other than Super Mario World with the help of the Game Genie, but still had a lot of fun with it. My favorite memories are playing Mario Kart and Street Fighter II (Turbo, I think) with my older brother. It was actually my mom that played it the most. She would play Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, as well as Super Mario 3 quite a bit, and was pretty damn good at them. When my SNES broke a few years later we actually replaced it primarily because she wanted to play it.

It wasn't until last-gen that I played throughd most of Super Metroid, and bought and finished A Link to the Past on GBA, and loved both of them. Then on Wii I played through Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, and have no idea why I barely played them as a kid (well, other than being terrible at them). I also bought Super Metroid as soon as it was released and played through it.

So I'd say I didn't really appreciate how great the SNES was back then. I was still pretty young and wasn't much of a gamer. Going back though some of my favorite games are from the SNES.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to put Star Fox on Virtual Console. I probably only got halfway through it on the SNES.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Of all the systems I've ever owned SNES brings back possibly the fondest memories.

First got a glimpse of Nintendo's 16-bit system via a Nintendo Power issue that showed a screenshot of Super Mario Bros 4. Just the thought of a 16-bit Mario was exciting, and when EGM finally ran some previews months later I simply couldn't wait.

I packed up my Turbografx 16 and games, and shipped them off to Diehard Gamer's Club in California to put towards my purchase of a brand new launch Super Famicom, and a copy of SMB4. It was pretty awesome being the only kid in school with Nintendo's new system, and one that wouldn't release in the US for months. I went on to complete SMB4, and also imported Batman Returns, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, and Ultraman.

Totally disliked the ugly US version of the hardware, and needed to purchase a Bridge adapter to play US games on my Super Famicom. My first US game was Act Raiser, which was awesome.

Once I had Nintendo's 16-bitter I practically ditched the Genesis, which in my opinion was inferior in so many ways.

Ponn

Banned
My first launch system and paid for myself. Worked extra chores and helped my dad mow lawns on weekends. My friend talked me into getting Drakken, I didn't speak to him for a month. Got Actraiser little later, was so awesome. Got U.N. Squadron for christmas played the shit out of that. I didn't get allowances just got one game every couple months or one Square game every 3 months (that Square tax has been around for a long time). Rented most of my games. I was the only one of my friends that got Street Fighter 2 so my place was the chosen get together place for weekends for a long time. My closest friend even walked two bus stops down early just so we could play a couple matches before school.

My first fondest memory though was in school we were given the option of doing either a book report or visual presentation on a book of our choosing. I had just gotten mario paint and there was that very simple frame animation tool. So I chose Mario Paint and the night before school I did a couple quick drawings of a rabbit running, sloppily animated it and taped it and said I did it for Watership Down. Everyone including the teacher was so amazed while my friend was laughing his ass off in the back row.

Second fondest memory was the night I drove some friends to the opening night of Nightmare Before Christmas, then went to Babbages and picked up Secret of Mana and got in a head on colllision on the way home (he was driving the wrong way on a 4 lane highway split by a median, yea I don't know either, he wasn't drunk). Car Totaled, thought no one was hurt, had friend drive me home because I was scared shitless of my parents even though I knew I wasn't at fault. Passed out going to my room outside because I actually had a concussion that the police/paramedics never tested me for. It was a fond snes memory because I was carless and out of school for a week with my fresh new copy of Secret of Mana.

bender

What time is it?
I moved to South Korea when I was fourteen. One of my newly made friends started calling me "Guile" because of my hair. I had no idea what he was talking about until we played Street Fighter 2 one day after school. When I got home, I begged my parents for a SNES and a copy of the game and it didn't take much convincing. Being dragged halfway across the world has its' benefits.

I didn't play most of my favorite games (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II & 3, Super Metroid) until much, much later in life as I preferred gaming in the local arcades. I do remember a friend letting me borrow Zelda and being blown away because it was so atmospheric. It's probably the only game in the series that I really liked. I also remember getting my hands on that VHS that Nintendo sent around promoting Donkey Kong Country.

cacildo

This is the rest of my night.

And its not yellow! Nice!

My mom gave me my first SNES when i was almost 10. I only had Super Mario World, which i played to death, so every saturday i got to rent a game. It was such a happy moment i couldnt even sleep.

Maybe this kind of happiness is what im still looking for when i play any game.

Years passed, i got a few games, i still got very happy with my SNES. One day i sold it to save money for the future N64. A couple years ago a friend gave me his Snes. its yellow.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Bought it a month after release in North America. Disappointed we got purple buttons. Played Mario like crazy.

I still have mine. It is sitting on my desk in my office with Zelda poking out.

I was disappointed that Final Fight didn't have Guy. And that it had horrible slowdown.

I remember the release of Street Fighter 2. I was good friends with the manager of Babbages and she saved a copy of that expensive beauty for me.

Super Metroid almost ended my relationship with my wife. I was that addicted.

My copy of Mortal Kombat 3 is in a plastic case that has a game genie code written on the spine.

Prince of Persia and Out of this World are two of my most played SNES games.

jb1234

My history with the machine is probably pretty similar to the rest of 30s GAF. It came out when the NES was getting a bit long in the tooth, I bought it and over the course of the next four years, I had some amazing times.

The games I didn't buy (and at that age, I didn't buy many), I rented. I probably played most of the important games on the system, and a bunch that weren't so important.

I remember Chrono Trigger cost $74.99. I remember crappy Toys 'R Us, where everyone bought their games, where you'd grab a paper slip with the price tag on it and take it to the counter. If that game was out of paper slips, you knew it was sold out. The big JRPGs were almost always sold out.

Brofield

My friend and I, whenever we went to his house all throughout elementary school, we'd play Battletoads: Double Dragon.

Never had a home console until Gamecube, only a Gameboy Color and Pokemon Red. But the day I saw BTDD for Genesis at $20...it was mine. Graphics may have looked prettier, music may have been shittier, but damn if that isn't a single childhood defining game for me.

We never could beat the third level, haha

Ponn

Banned
My history with the machine is probably pretty similar to the rest of 30s GAF. It came out when the NES was getting a bit long in the tooth, I bought it and over the course of the next four years, I had some amazing times.

The games I didn't buy (and at that age, I didn't buy many), I rented. I probably played most of the important games on the system, and a bunch that weren't so important.

I remember Chrono Trigger cost $74.99. I remember crappy Toys 'R Us, where everyone bought their games, where you'd grab a paper slip with the price tag on it and take it to the counter. If that game was out of paper slips, you knew it was sold out. The big JRPGs were almost always sold out.

Yup yup. Imagine a world without preorders or not knowing exactly when a game was going to be released. Not Snes but I remember going into Toys R Us one day as a kid with my parents and being floored when I saw Super Mario 3 was out and balling behind my parents through the whole store holding onto that slip of paper begging them to get it for me. Huge difference back then with hype and the availability of information compared to today.

My mate had a NES and SMB3 - having just an Atari prior, it was my first taste of Nintendo. Soon after i played SMW at another friends house and since it was newer, (and i'd also just seen SF2 at the arcades...) begged for one for christmas. I remember when i had to go to sleep i'd take brochures and a torch under the covers in anticipation!

I got the SF2 pack along with SMW and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which my dad picked out for me. Several months passed (but not many SG&G levels!) - but then we were unfortunately burgled - they took the SNES and my Atari Lynx which was conveniently stored in this for easy robbery :(

Thankfully our insurance paid out reasonably, so i decided not to re-buy the Lynx with the money, instead loaded up on SNES games. I picked up the Starfox bundle, SF2 Turbo (for $150 AU!), SMW, SG&G and Super Bomberman i think. It's starting to get fuzzy which games i had (back then, used to play lots of mates games and hire something new every week) - But i think by the end, the list was (not in order of purchase!)

Starfox
SMW
SF2Turbo
SG&G
Super Bomberman
Super Mario All-Stars
NBA JAM TE
MK1
MK 2
MK 3
Super SF2
Street Racer (my mate already had Super Mario Kart)
Another World
Batman Returns
Super Castlevania 4
Cool Spot
Pilotwings
Illusion of Time/Gaia
Donkey Kong Country
Killer Instinct
Yoshi's Island

Probably forgetting some! One christmas i'd got Fifa whilst a mate got Yoshi's Island. I sucked bad at Fifa and played 3 levels of YI before realising i had made a huge mistake! Some 'my granny bought me duplicate game' returning and i was engrossed in Yoshi's Island for the entire Christmas break! That was when i first realised i had been enjoying games by EAD without really realising they were almost all made by the people.

Soon after though, the next gen systems were approaching and i found a guy operating a shop out of his living room - willing to trade - ALL - of my SNES stuff for a PS1. I knew it was a big thing at the time - my friend and I jokingly gave the SNES stuff a burial/sendoff prior to the big trade-in day! But i regretted it properly, pretty quickly after. My PS1 collection was fairly small, Ridge Racer Revolution, Doom, Street Fighter Alpha and Wipeout 2097 before Super Mario 64 was shown at Shoshinkai and i had to get N64 - so i traded the lot at the same place in preparation.

Still living with the regret, i got a cheap used SNES - and finally picked up Zelda 3 - which i'd been avoiding since Zelda 2 had soured me - boy am i glad i picked up that one! I developed an appreciation for that, as well as Super Metroid - which i'd hired back in the day, but got stuck looking for power bombs! Glad i gave it a second chance :)

I have picked up a few random carts here and there, but to make up for selling my original SNES, i decided to pick up as-new Super Famicom games. One day i want to mount them all up in frames - atm missing only Super Mario World (damn thing is still pricy in Japan!). The plan is to have 3 sets of 3 -
SMW, Zelda 3 & Super Metroid representing the pinnacle of gaming
F-Zero, Pilotwings and SMK representing Mode-7
Starfox, WildTrax/Stunt Race FX and Yoshi's Island representing Super FX!

The first time i went to Japan in 2005, in my wife's small hometown of Toyooka, a kids toy store still had a Super Famicom on the shelves - brand new, 3,500Y. My inlaws bought it for me and it's never come out of the box since. Though i have lifted off the box a few times, to catch a whiff of that new Nintendo smell!

Jawmuncher

SNES leaves no impression on me.
THe most memories I have with it is playing it at my aunts house, with some random ass games. Maybe we can chalk it up to age since I didn't really get into gaming until PS1.

Regardless how I feel about the SNES though, as a gamer I still understand it's signifance in gaming as a whole. Just like all the other systems before it.

I did not participate in that gaming generation. Had a Nintendo before it, got a Nintendo 64 after it, but not a SNES or a Genesis.

I have played a few of the RPGs that were made available on PS1 (which I played on PS2). I completed Chrono Trigger + Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 4 and played through a good bit of 5. Which I guess technically 1 and 2 were NES? Either way, that's my sum total experience as I recall it at the moment.

fart town usa

Gold Member
First time I played the SNES was at the local mall, back when gaming kiosks had yellow screens and automatically reset the game after 5 minutes. Even under those circumstances, I knew the SNES was mind blowing. I would have been 6 or 7 at the time.

My brother and I eventually got one for Christmas that year with Super Mario World. Our minds were blown. We then saved up our paper route money and bought Street Fighter II as our next game. Our minds were blown again.

The SNES is hands down the best gaming system of all time.

all time........

Cassius

Bought one on ebay about two years ago.

I grew up a Sega Genesis kid, but always wanted to pair it with a SNES.

Such a fantastic system.

Taruranto

I spent the early years of my childhood playing snes games. Mario, Alttp, DK3.

Truth to be told, i didn't finish many SNES games, but the one i did are between my favorites ever. (CT, Terranigma)

I still have it under the TV, near the PS2 and the CG, though at this point i don't turn it on anymore.

My SNES with a Component mod.

Standard video settings.

SNES and N64 games shine like never before with a TV that was current when you had put these systems in a closet. The S-Video is the real key in sharpening HUDs and text in games.

Component seemed to do a little better with palette reproduction. I did an eyeball test with Super Castlevania IV. Not a lot of contrast used in the artistic backgrounds and stuff so you need the colors right to appreciate the look of the game.

kitsuneyo

I traded my MegaDrive with a kid from school for his SNES. The games I got with it were Super Mario World, Super Tennis, Street Fighter II and I think The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare.

I'd always been a Sega fanboy, but I was also a reader of Mean Machines magazine (UK) and I couldn't ignore all the great games that were coming out for SNES.

I was extremely dubious about Mario World, because I always thought it was too kiddy/Disney-like, especially compared to the uhm... hedgehog with attitude. So SMW was the first Mario game I played and it totally blew me away.

Super Tennis was also amazing wasn't it?

The other SNES game that sticks out in my memory is Link to the Past. I got the game and took it and my SNES to my Gran's house, where me and my cousin were staying one weekend. We played the thing pretty much non-stop for 2 or 3 days and made it to the final boss, but we never defeated him. I never went back to the game after that weekend for some reason, so I've never completed LttP.

Definitely in my top 2 favourite consoles that I've owned.

The S-Video is the real key in sharpening HUDs and text in games.

RGB SCART is better than S-video, isn't it?

Top Bottom