• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

Vespene

Endless hours.

spot_g10-simcity.gif

Tied with PS1 for favorite system, far more games I loved on PS1, but I loved the SNES games more individually.

I just bought a super Famicom a couple of months ago and am loving the cheap awesome games on the system here in Japan. I can get tons of great games for 105 yen, and most of the great games for under 1000. There are a few rare games I haven't been able to find,but a lot of games that are rare in the west are ridiculously cheap here, and I can consider playing them as study time for Japanese.

Zing

Banned
Since official SNES / NES controllers are a little difficult to come by these day how do the third part ones hold up? Particularly the ones that look official but don't have the Nintendo logo on it.

Do not waste your time or money.

The only reason it is hard to find originals is due to the flood of fakes on Ebay, driving the market value way down and obscuring the real items.

Utako

Banned
I went to FAO Schwarz and played the SNES before it was released in the US.

The only game available was Super Mario World. I was blown away by the graphics. It was like playing a cartoon!

I would say the SNES is superseded only by the PS1, which has a larger variety of experiences. Every other console is downhill from there. Low variety, corporate culture fucking up franchises, small bursts of experimentation amid seas of heartless, miserable nothing (i.e. Call of Duty).

Since official SNES / NES controllers are a little difficult to come by these day how do the third part ones hold up? Particularly the ones that look official but don't have the Nintendo logo on it.

Some of them are all right. They're functional, but have a different overall "feel" to them. I'm thinking specifically of the "Retro-Bit"-branded ones, for the most part. The ones that come with the RetroDuo are pretty terrible, though...at least as far as D-pads go.

^ That's awesome.

It's been so great giving a few old games another go in the last few months. Honestly, what I'd forgotten the most was just how great the controllers were. I didn't mind the 6 face button Genesis/Saturn controller, but the SNES one takes the cake for me.

HylianTom

Banned
How did I miss this thread?

It was the system I took off to college with me, as N64 hadn't been released yet.

I still remember getting it on Boxing Day. Mom had refused to get one for me for Christmas, claiming, "I know the gaming companies' scheme: they're gonna release a new machine every six years, and you'll be forced to buy it to play the new games. If you want this one, you'll have to buy it yourself!"

So on the morning of the 26th, she, Dad, and I went to Babbages at the mall, and I plunked down all of my Christmas money on a system. We went home, Dad and I set it up, and he watched me play Super Mario World. His very first comment - I remember to this day - "wow. That piano music sounds real. Gaming is going to be reeeeally crazy to follow in the future."

Played tons of the standards. Mario. Zelda blew my mind - I played through it a gazillion times. Was disappointed when they made the Ice Dungeon easier in future releases. Donkey Kong. I went 100% through the Road Runner game and Bubsy's first SNES game. And I played through Secret of Mana I don't know how many times, trying different skill strategies.. I still love the music from that game.

And for some reason, I rented F-Zero a LOT but never ended-up buying it; Dad loved the game, but laughingly claimed that it made him really dizzy if he watched it for too long. And how could I forget Pilotwings? We both loved that one, and he never had trouble with it.. I think because the speed issue wasn't there.

Great system. Lots of good memories with both friends and Dad. This was the last system he played with, and he was the one who got me started with the 2600. I need to get him back into gaming again.. it seemed to make him very happy.

I kept it in great condition for the whole time I had it. But after the Virtual Console came out and most of the games on my wish list became available, I sold it before the Big Move back home. I kinda miss it, but know it would only take-up space. Whenever we build the dream house and I have a proper Nintendo Room, I'll buy another one for display purposes.

I remember my dad getting me the one that came with Killer Instinct. He had it on layaway at K-mart till it was paid completely. Loved that system so much since that was the last new system I had till the Gamecube came out. The games that I had for it were Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, UMK3, MK2, Super Metroid, TLoZ: A Link to the Past, Final Fight, Top Gear, F-Zero, and SSF2 Turbo. So many good memories I had with it like playing Donkey Kong all for nearly 20 hours just to beat it with a cousin of mines or having long play sessions in SSF2 Turbo and Top Gear with friends. I still have my SNES around, the only problem is that the A/C port broke and I haven't been able to fix it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I remember using a soldering iron to burn off the two tabs of plastic that prevents the US SNES from playing Japanese Super Famicom games. Sure my SNES was burned and scarred, but it was worth it to play all those import games.

Ah, memories.

The heyday of the SNES was before my time, but I was able to experience it as a kid mostly through a combination of emulation and GBA ports. Which was more than enough to solidify my love for the system. I don't think any other console has ever "had it all" the way the SNES did.

jbueno

MyEpitomeCliché;35714248 said:
Pretty much the best birthday ever, you guys.

SNES2.jpg

SNES.jpg

Still have the same system today and hooked up to my CRT.

That´s indeed awesome, but let me ask one thing, did you not have people over for your birthday?

The SuperNes was a literally a magical system for my brothers and I. First off we got the system before it's official release date. Thanks to some guy working at the now defunct "Kay B Toys" who apparently didn't know about street dates. Not sure if it was intended to be a demo unit but they only had two in stock and it had to be a couple weeks before the official release. Secondly my Mom never bought gifts of that magnitude outside of birthdays or Christmas, but for some reason she found herself under the spell that Nintendo held over much of the world at the time, and it was purchased. The SNES was the system that kept on giving as well. Just when I would think I was done with it or their were no more games, something else amazing would drop. Too many games and memories to mention, but I'll share one. FFVI the game that got me back into RPG's was so engaging it made me as a teenager not want to hangout with friends and try to pick up girls, an amazing feat for a teenager.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm considering buying a Super Famicom. What are some good Japanese/SFC-exclusive games?

No reason to buy a Super Famicom, US SNES systems are region free with SFC games. Just buy the games and play them on your existing system.

A few neat exclusives I own:
Mario & Wario - This is a mouse-controlled Nintendo-published puzzle game sort of in the vein of Lemmings meets Mario vs Donkey Kong. Crisp, bright graphics, very fun to play. No text.

Go Go Ackman - This is a licensed platformer / beat em up based on a comic book series I've never heard of drawn by Akira Toriyama. Really solid. Very little text.

Marvelous: Another Treasure Island - This is a Zelda-style top-down action adventure that uses the LTTP engine and was directed by the guy that now directs all the Zelda games. I haven't played a lot of it because it has a bit of text :/

Final Fantasy V - If you want to buy the original version! Tons of text.

Seiken Densetsu 3 - 'Secret of Mana 2'--I actually like it better as a game than Secret of Mana despite a few drawbacks. Great plot, really lengthy meaty game, six different characters with unique story elements depending on who you choose. Tons of text.

A few neat exclusives I don't own:
Do Re Mi Fantasy - 2D Platformer, very bright fun graphics. Very little text.

Clock Tower - 2D First installment to legendary survival horror series. Probably the series that best portrays the feeling of totally being helpless.

That One Gundam Fighting Game - Pretty good IMO

Natetan

Before the SNES was released I was a game columnist for Gannett News. We had several contacts at Hill and Knowlton (Nintendo's PR firm). Unbeknownst to me, they really wanted us to review the SNES before it was launched in the US. They FedEx'd us the console with all of the launch games.

While we usually got review copies of games early, this was the first time we were treated to an entire new system before anyone in the country got to play it. In fact we were one of the first journalists to play the thing. We could only keep it for two weeks so other journos could review it as well. To put all this into perspective you almost have to have been in the biz at the time, things were very different than they are today. This stuff didn't really happen back then. I kept the original letter I received about it, as a souvenir.

http://brentgustafson.com/files/snes_letter.jpg

wow, that is super cool :)

zoukka

First time I played it we had it rented out with Castlevania IV.

Needless to say I was glued to the system for two days and my mom almost sent me to the doctor because my heart rate was insane after one boss fight and it didn't come down in hours :D

Then we bought it one day and the first game was Donkey Kong Country. Everyone in my family played it. Thought the graphics were super realistic especially the rain levels.

Celine

Bought Illusion of Time boxed with manual and map.
Quite pleased.
Need to do a Let's play Soul Blazer Trilogy on GAF.

Soul Blazer PAL in english is incredibly expensive.
Hope to find a good deal for the US version.

No reason to buy a Super Famicom, US SNES systems are region free with SFC games. Just buy the games and play them on your existing system.

A few neat exclusives I own:
Mario & Wario - This is a mouse-controlled Nintendo-published puzzle game sort of in the vein of Lemmings meets Mario vs Donkey Kong. Crisp, bright graphics, very fun to play. No text.

Go Go Ackman - This is a licensed platformer / beat em up based on a comic book series I've never heard of drawn by Akira Toriyama. Really solid. Very little text.

Marvelous: Another Treasure Island - This is a Zelda-style top-down action adventure that uses the LTTP engine and was directed by the guy that now directs all the Zelda games. I haven't played a lot of it because it has a bit of text :/

Final Fantasy V - If you want to buy the original version! Tons of text.

Seiken Densetsu 3 - 'Secret of Mana 2'--I actually like it better as a game than Secret of Mana despite a few drawbacks. Great plot, really lengthy meaty game, six different characters with unique story elements depending on who you choose. Tons of text.

A few neat exclusives I don't own:
Do Re Mi Fantasy - 2D Platformer, very bright fun graphics. Very little text.

Clock Tower - 2D First installment to legendary survival horror series. Probably the series that best portrays the feeling of totally being helpless.

That One Gundam Fighting Game - Pretty good IMO
Dragon Ball Hyper Dimension is a better fighter IMO.
Worth a purchase.

Oh and if you like the Advance Wars series there is one developed by Hudson in 1997/1998.

I avoided the system due to Nintendo censoring most of the games. Played the shit out of my Genesis instead. Then after I got my Japanese Playstation at launch I got bored post launch of the game and picked up a used SNES and all the greatest hits. Had a blast.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Our third system (Atari 2600 first, followed by a Game Boy). I was blown away by the Super NES when someone brought it into my fourth grade class one year (I can't remember if it was for show and tell, or something else). Super Bonk was the game I remember the most. Ended up talking about it none stop and my Grandmother bought me one with Super Mario World packed in for Christmas. My parents bought some games, so I ended up with; Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Hyper Zone, Spanky's Quest, and Krusty's Super Funhouse.

Ended up with a collection of over 50 titles and the system that houses my fondest memories.

I got the All Stars bundle when it came. I had the most legendary games outside of LttP and pretty much all the classic Square/Enix RPGs, such as SMW1&2, DKC1-3, Final Fights etc. and some random ones from the swap store like Pitfall and Flashback. Oh and I also paid like $120 for Vortex...

In 96 I sold the system to get a Playstation, in retrospect that was a crappy choice. Not because I didn't enjoy PS (It's pretty much my most played console ever and I have the vastest library for it still) but because I haven't seen SNES with such great games combo ever again. I really need to buy one someday.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I picked up the SNES 3 years before the PS1 was released. It was the first system that I've actually fully played. This is the system where I started as a JRPG fan.

My system is still alive and I just finished Earthbound again last month.

Oh the memories.

snkryo

I traded in my atari lynx (free) with batman returns ($10), gameboy (found outside) with contra ($15), and nes with six games ($50) for a brand new snes with NCAA basketball and Mario world.

Alright. I've been really wanting to play my SNES, but I've had no luck hooking it up.

Every time I power on I get this screen:
QItbm.jpg

I get it when there's a game in and when there's not. No sound either. This is on an LCD TV. Tried it on an old CRT TV, and got the same thing, except the lines moved up the screen.

Googling has been a mixed bag. Most of the sites I've found list similar problems, but few sounded exactly like mine.

Any ideas?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It was the first proper console I ever owned. I didn't own many games for it:

Super Mario World
Killer Instinct
Super Metroid
Pinocchio

But I remember renting a bunch of games for the system, like:

Demolition Man
Mario is Missing!
Sunset Riders
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
The Incredible Hulk

And I played stuff like Disney's Aladdin, Disney's Lion King, Donkey Kong Country, and Mortal Kombat at friends' places.

So yeah, I missed out on a ton of great games. In fact, the only SNES games I remember even completing were Pinocchio and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time. lol I didn't really get sucked into video games until Super Mario 64, and I haven't looked back since. As a young kid the SNES was a decent enough distraction, but I generally couldn't wrap my head around some of the standard gameplay mechanics then.

Nyx

My 2nd best console ever.

But I have to confess, after the initial year of buying legit games, I bought a copybox.

So many great games....

N64 was my first console, but after doing a bit of research and seeing Koopa Troopa being playable in SMK, I had to get a SNES. I had most of the Mario games, the DKC trilogy, Frogger, Scooby Doo, and TMNT.

Tenck

All I remember is sleepless nights with Megaman X. I threw so many tantrums. Games used to piss me off so much :(

abasm

I owned a Genesis, but would always make a point of playing the SNES whenever I went over to my friend's house. We didn't get to see each other often then, and we're so far apart now than I don't know when we'll see each other again. When I think of SNES, though, I think of sleeping over at his house, staying up late and trading off turns on Super Mario World.

Growing up my dad would let us rent an NES from a local video store for the weekend if my older brother had good grades. Later on, my brother bought an NES from a friend of his in middle school, and the first NES game we owned was River City Ransom (he bought it the weekend before he got the NES from his friend, so SMB/Duck Hunt was our second game). When the Genesis came out we got that, and I have a lot of memories of that system. I desperately wanted a SNES, but my parents never got me one - I ended up buying one with saved up allowance money and whatnot and bought the bundle with LttP in the later years of the SNES (I bought the display model at Toys R Us, to give you an idea of how late).

I loved the hell out of my SNES. Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Mario RPG, King of Dragons...god. I've been telling my fiancee that the day we get a bigger apartment is the day I'm pulling out my old CRT and hooking up my SNES. I have my top loading NES (my bro stopped letting me play on his NES after a while so I had to get my own) there now, but it just isn't the same.

J-Rod

I remember the day I got one. I had a sega genesis and a nes, both hooked up to the same tv. My dad have given me the genesis for Christmas because it was cheaper even though I really wanted a snes. Anyway, my aunt whom my family lived with always complained of all the cords and wires. One day, she told me to go get my Nintendo, unhook it and to bring it to her. I was so sad, but I did what she said. When I brought it to her, she told me to put it in the cabinet next to her. I opened it up, and there was a snes inside. Nearly shit my pants in excitement.

The SNES was the first console I bought with my own money. For the first couple of months I couldn't afford any other games so I played Super Mario World constantly.

Being in Oz at the time I eventually got into importing from the US - Final Fantasy III was the crown jewel and even got my console modded to run at 60hz.

Have fond memories of going to mall after I got paid each Friday and just buying a game, even if it ate up 60-70% of my wage. good times.

I got my SNES for Christmas in 1993. I got more mileage out of that thing than any other console. I still play it pretty regularly. It's got too many amazing games to count.

Best console of all time.

StayDead

This is going to suprise some people here, but until Christmas last year I never owned one. I'm a massive nintendo fan too.

Someone bought it for me as a Secret Santa present, I was so happy. :D

genjiZERO

I had an SNES not a Genesis. Got it with Super Mario All-Stars for Christmas one year. I found out later that my Mom won it in a raffle at KB Toys. There's a decent chance I'd never had had one at all if she hadn't won it (my parents were pretty anti videogame. The only reason I had an NES was because me and my younger brother saved up for it). Loved the console.

Worked paper routes, did other chores and bought my SNES day 1. Only person I knew with one for well over a year. Good times.

FF2 was goddamn hot

Have been tempted to bump this thread for a few weeks now, so I have more posts to read haha.

I'll just add that I'm slowly getting back some of the games I sold years ago to get an N64 and at the same time acquiring games I never gave a chance or even heard of back then.

My history with the system...

To preface, I was 7 almost 8 on SNES's release date. I'd gamed on my brother's 2600 when I was reeeally young (2 or 3?), his NES, and eventually my very own NES (my first system I actually owned).

Xmas '91 rolled around and each of my brothers got an SNES. I didn't get one, but I didn't care -- I was always in my oldest brother's room anyway and got to play it plenty. Early games they had were of course Super Mario World, and also Zelda and NHL Stanley Cup. I watched my brother play Zelda but didn't play it much myself til a few years later --- I hung out in my bro's room but I didn't really get to hog the TV and play single player stuff for hours on end all that much. NHL Stanley Cup was pretty crappy.

Before that however, one day I got off the school bus and much to my surprise my mom had rented me the console, Pilotwings and Super Mario World from Movie Time. I was pretty shocked and quite excited to play the system. I don't think I even knew it was out yet so it was extra, extra surprising. One of my favorite childhood memories thinking back how nice of her it was to do that :)

I don't really remember when I got my own system... it was after 1992 because I asked for an Atari Lynx that year after playing a kiosk with California Games on it.

Oh, yeah... my other brother also had Super Bases Loaded. Quality game, that. I'd go in his room when he wasn't there and play that pretty often. Random: I remember playing a rental copy of Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball on his SNES and crying because my grandmother had passed away that day :*(

Other early games I owned and liked: Top Gear and Hal's Hole in One Golf. I think golf was the first non-Mario game I got (I think I got the SM All-Stars mail-in deal). I think I convinced my mom to get it for my birthday or some other occasion because it was "only $29.99" -- one of the earlier games to get that much of a price drop.

Being Baseball Stars and Tecmo Super Bowl fanatics, my oldest brother and I were of course hyped for the SNES version of Tecmo Super Bowl. We played that a whole bunch. Take turns playing our regular season and playoff games until we'd meet in the Super Bowl if we both made it. It's funny, because I don't think we ever vs.'d each other except in that situation. I think way too much of our enjoyment of that game was trying to set stat records.

I didn't get an allowance until I was in my teens, so the only games I owned I typically got in Nov on my birthday or on Christmas. Not that I had a shortage of games to play, my mom took me to Movie Time all the... uh, time. Rented lots and lots of games during the NES, SNES days.

I remember getting WWF Raw a little while after it came out as a reward for "doing well" with some dental procedure. Wisdom teeth maybe. It was 30 bucks used at EB and I was able to convince Mom to buy it :p I remember playing it a lot when I was bored and trying to make my own fun with it because I'd played it so much. Like, playing the Royal Rumble mode and seeing how fast I could eliminate all the guys. This was before our house had internet or satellite TV (and for the first few years we had just one box and my dad hogged it from 6 PM on anyway)... so I spent many hours playing that game when I was bored late at night on weekends as a 10-11 year old -- is my main memory of it.

And of course my friends had games I didn't have. I first played Star Fox and NBA Give 'n Go at my friend's house. His father worked as a mechanic out of their home in the basement so his house smelled like diesel fuel all the time. I associate that smell with Star Fox because of it :p He had this lightbulb in his room hanging from his ceiling he had a dimming dial for so I remember one particular sleepover at his house playing with the lightbulb and spending all night playing Star Fox in next to near darkness--- and probably not getting very far in it :p We'd try to see how faint we could dim the lightbulb. Uh yeah, anyway ... ;)

Another friend had Super Off-Road... he'd get all annoyed in between the races when I'd act inappropriate and make "puppies!" cat calls (or were they dog calls? :p) at the bikini clad ladies. Note: this was several years before Jerry Lawler used the line all the time on WWF TV. Ah, he had Turtles in Time as well. Pretty fun beat-em-up for the 30 minutes it lasted.

I had Tecmo Super NBA as well. It was okay... not on the same level as the football games but I got enough fun out of it-- mostly by subbing Jordan in at Center and seeing how many points I could beat the CPU by. One time I hit a 3/4 of the court shot with Bill Cartwright (complete with "during-shot cinematic" which was a spoiler for: it's going in.) Total fluke! I remember my Mom telling me to hide my copy of the game when I didn't play it so my middle brother (half brother, not her son) wouldn't try and swipe it :p That might've been before I got my own system...

So I reckon those are the games that I most closely associate with SNES -- ones I played before gaming became my "#1 hobby" after I got a sub to EGM in late '97 (in time for the Top 100 games issue) and said "fuck this" to pissing away money on sports cards. It's not nearly as fun reminiscing about stuff I played years after the fact, though.

I had a Nintendo Power subscription from the time I was 6 or 7... back in 89/90. That was always my go to for every game related stuff since I couldn't afford a system.

So I read the hell out of everything having to do with the SNES.

A friend got one, and I played Super Mario World & UN Squadron. Play games on and off for awhile at his house, even after he moved after he had a fire. Played Link to the Past and beat it there, played a crap load of FF II and eventually FF III. Secret of Mana and Super Metroid. Oh and Street Fighter II, eventually with a Game Genie. Played the crap out of that.

My friends set up was hooked up to some analog speakers for true stereo, which was awesome. He had sticks for SFII and eventually the nerfed MK and better MKII. My friends dad attacked him in front of everyone and made him hand over the controller when he got MKII for his birthday, even though he was winning.

Also played a lot of SMK.

I remember reading about how Super Final Fantasy was coming out, which turned out to be Secret of Mana.

I also played against the last boss in FF Mystic Quest at another friend's house, just cuz. At that other friend's house, I also remember playing SFII Turbo Hyper Fighting.

Oh and how could I forget all of the Mario Paint animation we did! We would always cut off Yoshi's head from the default Super Mario World art and make an animation of Mario cutting off Yoshi's head...

Then I finally got an SNES in 95 with Super Mario Kart/Super Mario World as pack ins & DKC too. Played the crap out of those on my black and white TV, I never knew that the under water mini games were red instead of blue until I saw it in the guide.

A friend and I used to go to Toys R Us to play the newer games. We almost beat Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island in the timed Kiosk, until some asshole kid erased all of the files. I watched him do it too, I didn't realize what was going on until it was too late.

I have so many more memories... loved that system.

BasilZero

SNES was my first game system, purchased it back in 1991 with the Super Mario World bundle.

Only had a handful of games but rented a lot of them and had great times with it :)

I unfortunately sold it to a family friend...and bought a used one years later in 2001 with Super Mario RPG. I gave that way to some cousins 2 years later....>.>.

But SNES is obviously my most favorite Nintendo system even to this day.

Jawmuncher

I played the SNES usually with friends at their house.
That's about it when it comes to Nostalgia for the system.
I was never a nintendo kid growing up and even now nintendo just doesn't affect me like it does so many others.

I appreciate everything they have done for gaming, but that's about the extent of it.

i personally never ever owned a snes. however...i did/do own an nes, game boy, game boy color, ds lite, 3DS, n64, gamecube, wii though.

weird how it worked out, because most of my friends had a super nintendo with either: super mario world, mario all stars, mario kart, mario all stars + mario world, mario world 2, and a few other random/cheap/crappy games. always went to their houses and beat the levels they were stuck on and/or just kicked their asses at mario kart (yoshi ftw).

side note - my best childhood friend and i beat super mario world with 100% completion, which we thought was the best thing ever. btw, level 2 in special world in super mario world was a bitch, and we completed the level legitmately, without using a blue yoshi or flying in the air with caped mario.

only one of my brothers friends had literally *all* of the best games on the console - the marios, a link to the past, mega man x, super metroid, ff6 (ff3), earthbound, super castlevania, killer instinct, dkc 1/2/3, maximum carnage (only snes game that i believe was red), mario paint, umk3, joe and mac, f-zero, star fox, nba jam (cant remember if it was TE or not), street fighter, and tons more. he seriously had everything that i always wanted to play, and most of the games were beaten with 100% completion.

whenever my brother would get invited to his house, i would plead/beg if i could come along too, knowing that i would get to play any of his games that i wanted to play. it was such a blast each time, plus the guy is super smart in his own right. he also had one of the first n64s i'd ever seen, weeks before it came out. i couldnt believe that i was playing a nintendo 64 before anyone else owned one.

ah, the good old days..

I played the SNES usually with friends at their house.
That's about it when it comes to Nostalgia for the system.
I was never a nintendo kid growing up and even now nintendo just doesn't affect me like it does so many others.

I appreciate everything they have done for gaming, but that's about the extent of it.

Something of the same her. However I did get to play a lot of NES/SNES/N64, because my neighbour (who was close in age) had all the systems. I had Sega so we used to swap consoles and games. Great times, I love the NES/SNES era, but kind of fell out of the Nintendo camp after that.

Top Bottom