• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

kokujin

Banned
marrec said:
I don't want to make this that thread, but DKC games and Nobunaga's Ambition and Sim City and Sim Ant and Zelda and so on and so forth beg to differ.

Genesis was good, but SNES was a monster.
Nobunaga's Ambition came out for the Mega Drive btw.I never said the SNES was bad,I have and play both, but a lot of the games that were lauded on SNES don't get a rise out of me today.On the other hand I can play Contra HC right now and have a blast.

Dreweyes

All time favorite video game: Earthbound

ebfinish1_large.png

Had a huge impact on me as a kid.
So difficult to explain, but so many awesome things about this game just hit it right at home to me.

Love it. ♥

Tattoo I got on my left art:
SVzbC.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
kokujin said:
Nope, I had both, the Genesis was a better video game machine.If all you cared about were RPGs then the SNES was the way to go, if not Genesis all the way.
I really liked our Genesis, but I remember the videogame magazine I got every month had a really pro-Nintendo slant (no it wasn't Nintendo Power lol!). It convinced me that I was getting the crappier versions of all my non-Mortal Kombat multiplatform games, and that I was missing out on some of the best games around (DK, FFIII(6), ect). I thought I hated RPGs when I was a kid though, so maybe the Genesis was for the best.

inky

Got one for Christmas as a kid like most, I guess. Somehow Super Mario World lasted me a couple of years and still felt fresh (kept finding new stuff always). God, I loved that game and never ever got tired of it.

I had a few games like Street Fighter 2, Lion King (which I could never finish =/) Zelda, Clayfighter, Donkey Kong and Killer Instinct, but at that age SMW was all I really needed. Life was so simple then...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I think I'm going to play through the entirety of Link to the Past tomorrow in honor of the SNES's 20th birthday. I can usually get through that game in 8-10 hours and I don't have much going on.

That game is probably the one game most responsible for me being such an avid gamer today.

marrec

Banned
kokujin said:
Nobunaga's Ambition came out for the Mega Drive btw.I never said the SNES was bad,I have and play both, but a lot of the games that were lauded on SNES don't get a rise out of me today.On the other hand I can play Contra HC right now and have a blast.

Not even Link to the Past? Oh well, Genesis was pretty good too.

But this is the SNES thread, so get your Genesis shit out of here!

ZeroRay

Got one for my 6th birthday from my friend's dad.

First system for my own, got Super Mario World along with it. My parents made a rule that I could only get a new game after I beat the one I have, too bad my SMW cart was glitched and erased data and fucked up the B button on my controller.

Got a cool little game called Firestrikers for my 7th birthday, it was a top down brickbreaker type of game but with actual characters. The games started rolling in for me (relatively speaking) after that. Got Lion King and Maui Mallard, two good Disney platformers and traded Firestrikers for Chrono Trigger with the same friend mentioned earlier. He wanted a trade back years later lol. Most other games, I rented or played at a friends' house due to the expensive nature of the hobby.

Another friend had a Genesis but it gave the worst impression of a system a young kid could get. He had Columns II, which I didn't understand at all and a football game which I thought was crap. So for a long time I believed the Genesis to be a totally inferior system to the SNES.

inner-G

Banned
I loved it in its day, and still do now.

I had an NES, but the year my brother and I got the SNES, it was truly epic. Probably my favorite Christmas ever.

It had so many amazing games. SMW was a revelation right out of the box. We rented games all the time, and SNES had great/terrible/innovative/fun games in abundance. Platformers, shooters, puzzlers, arguably some of the best JRPGs, sports games, terrible licensed games, Nintendo first-party stuff like Mario Kart, Star Fox, and Zelda, it really did have something for everybody.

Standout games to me back in the day: SMW, F-Zero, LttP, FF II and III, Earthbound, Mario Paint, Samurai Shodawn, SFII, MK, Chrono, bah, too many to list.

I still love and play it now. I actually just grabbed a nice CRT off of craigslist recently specifically for retro gaming. My fiancee would rather play SNES with me than PS3/360 stuff (sans Rock Band and Buzz).

Great System. Sadly, the tail end Nintendo's golden era imo. The 64 and following consoles just haven't hit me like the NES/SNES. PS2 may be the only console that has come close, but it doesn't have the charm of those 16-bit sprites and the warm, beautifully synthesized sound that you get rolling off of real SNES hardware.

kokujin

Banned
Grinchy said:
I really liked our Genesis, but I remember the videogame magazine I got every month had a really pro-Nintendo slant (no it wasn't Nintendo Power lol!). It convinced me that I was getting the crappier versions of all my non-Mortal Kombat multiplatform games, and that I was missing out on some of the best games around (DK, FFIII(6), ect). I thought I hated RPGs when I was a kid though, so maybe the Genesis was for the best.
Magazines back in the day were rather biased towards nintendo.

marrec said:
Not even Link to the Past? Oh well, Genesis was pretty good too.

But this is the SNES thread, so get your Genesis shit out of here!
Lol calm down.

Hiltz

NES

- Got this home console for my 5th birthday from my cousin.He showed me how to find some of the secrets like hidden coins and warp pipes.

- My dad was the first to beat Super Mario Bros. and called in a "family meeting" to show off his victorious achievement in beating the game and saving the princess.

- My brother and I loved playing TMNT 2: The Arcade & Manhatten Project as well as Bubble Bobble and Snow Bros. My sister just liked playing Duck Hunt.

Worst played games were The Simpsons (confusing and not fun at all) and Mario's Time Machine (my brother rented it but we couldn't figure out how to play it)

- I really didn't get into many of the popular franchises such as Mega Man and Zelda.

- My brother and I got into a fight and he ended up cutting the cord to the power adapter which marked the death of my NES. I have yet to forgive him for it as he never did apologize or got a replacement cord.

SNES

- Got this home console for my 9th birthday after the infamous Northridge Earthquake.

- Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past came with the system. It took me several years to beat because I was completely overwhelmed by the open level design and the freedom given to the player.

- I bought a used copy of Super Mario World for $10 from a friend in 5th grade.

- My brother and I loved playing co-op games ranging from TMNT: Turtles in Time and Double dragon to Sunset Riders and King of the Monsters 2.

-I bought Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island not knowing that it was going to be very different from the first game. However, I instantly fell in love with the new gameplay mechanics, catchy music, and cool art style.

- Preferred Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter.

- I wasn't interested in Mario Kart but mostly because the rotating camera made me feel pretty nauseous.

- I didn't get to play Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG until years later along with Super Metroid (originally rented but didn't finish it in time).

- My brother rented Starfox and I thought that the game looked really weird and confusing.

- Shout out to Kirby's Super Star and Donkey Kong Country. My sister loved taking turns playing through DKC's mine cart levels and we'd always laughed at the beaver and vulture enemies.

- Clay Fighter 2 (unbalanced difficulty) and King of the Monsters (repetitive as hell) were probably the two games I regret most buying on the SNES . My parents bought me Pac-Attack which I hated with a passion (boring and hard as hell).

- Aladdin and TMNT were my favorite licensed games.

totowhoa

Banned
First system was technically NES, but it was sold when my parents got the SNES (they weren't too financially well off back then, and I sure as hell didn't care once I played SMW). I was five at the time. Two years later my mom finally went to college full time, but she also worked full time on a graveyard shift as a hospital secretary. So I basically never saw her for four years. My dad in turn always played with us. We would rent a SNES game every week. We would get out our big coin jar and divvy out money and me and my brother and him would gamble on Super Mario Kart battle mode. Played tons of great games over the years.

I had Nintendo Power a little later. I remember my first gaming mag though -- GamePro DKC2 issue. Got it Xmas day with the game. It also had early screens of SMRPG (many screens that never made it into the final game, even). I had no idea what an RPG was despite playing FF4. I thought it meant Super Mario Rated PG, so I thought Mario was getting more adult-oriented. Really confused me for a while.

I remember getting so stuck on Zelda in like first or second grade in the second dungeon where you have to light the lamps to get the wall to move. Shit stumped me forever. Oh yeah, and getting that book down from the top shelf of the library. I spent so much time in that game running around aimlessly.

The first time a played a FF was an FF4 rental and it wouldn't hold a save, so I would play for hours and hours until I died. I loved the game so much that I would just start it up and do it all over again.

Anth0ny

Genesis was my very "first" console. Unfortunately, I was really young, and the Genesis was actually my uncle's, so I'd only play it when I visited my grandmothers house. I loved it, but my neighbor had a Super Nintendo. Damn did it look awesome. It had Super Mario and Street Fighter!

So in 1996 (I was 4 at the time) I finally asked my father to buy me an SNES for Christmas. Christmas came around, and this happened. My dad told me he could have bought me a SNES, but they said it was outdated (lolwut) so my dad went with the N64.

So I was an N64 kid. Just barely missed the SNES era. I did end up experiencing it through GBA ports, DS ports and virtual console, and I fucking love those games. Shame I missed out as a child, though.

Then again, <3 N64

Pyrrhus

Got my SNES for Christmas in 1991. I was ten. I'd had the NES for several years before that and video games were my number one interest by far. I had gotten that Super NES Player's Guide that Nintendo Power had sent out in the summer of '91 and the pumps were pretty much primed looking at those write-ups for Act Raiser, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, FFIV, Wanderers from Ys, and most especially Zelda 3. I couldn't really think about anything else in the months leading up to Christmas.

I remember waking up at about 5 in the morning on Christmas Day and starting to play Super Mario World (the pack-in). It was a defining moment of my childhood and pretty much the best Christmas I can remember. I can still remember what I had for dinner the night A Link to the Past was released. (It was a Whopper.) Star Fox helped me work through a pretty bad case of chicken pox, even though it hurt to press the d-pad. I could keep going.

I wish I could still enjoy games as thoroughly and as easily as I was able to in those days...

SNES is still my favorite system. I think I got it with Super Mario World, but it's been so long since I got it I don't remember for sure. But yeah, almost all my favorite games were on the SNES. The Donkey Kong Country series, SMW and SMW2, Tetris Attack, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, the Mega Man X series...the list goes on and on. Good memories.

I got my SNES in 1992 for my birthday. I remember the first time I played SMW; it was INSANE! I remember going to BBV and the local grocery store to rent the games.

One of my favorite games on the system was:
588462_40282_front.jpg

Actually, now that I think about it, most of the Disney games on NES/SNES were great! :)

Red

Born in '89, and grew up with an NES/SNES simultaneously (got both of them in '91 or '92). My parents bought both systems used, not sure exactly why outside of the fact that my dad wanted an NES to play Pac Man. Was great for me, because I could skip right from Zelda 1 to 2 to 3 without missing a beat.

Spent the most time on Mega Man X and Super Metroid. Was a great console with a truly stunning library of games... Super Mario World, Earthbound, Final Fantasy III, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Terranigma, Yoshi's Island, and so on. Glad I could experience all of that as a young kid. It lasted me a really long time as well, especially with the Game Boy player. Even after the N64's release, I'm pretty sure I spent most of my console time with an SNES until the late 90s.

I think it's due to video games that I learned to read at such an early age. I ended up skipping ahead to first grade by the time I was three. I credit the SNES and its library with teaching me more efficiently than parents or teachers.

I remember I played Maximum Carnage a lot, on and off for months if not years, and could never pass the Fantastic Four stage until renting a Game Genie.

I also always wanted to play SimAnt for some reason, but never did.

Nekobo

My first encounter was at my cousin's house. Watched him and my older bro play Turtles in Time and Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Despite enjoying those games, my brother bought a Genesis in the early 90s. We enjoyed games like Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, and Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition.

Had the Genesis until I sold it in 96. Used that money to buy an SNES because I wanted to play Squaresoft RPGs. My first purchase was Super Mario RPG...and I wound up buying FF3 and Chrono Trigger a few weeks months later. My top favorite SNES games in no particular order:

Tetris Attack
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy 3
Chrono Trigger

zerotol

Banned
I saved every bit of money i could in anticipation (which took forever) and bought it at Toys R Us in Tacoma as soon as they got them in. At the time I had a subscription to Electronic Gaming Monthly, and they were hyping the shit out of it. I remember getting home and hooking it up... Super Mario World was mind blowing.

172Y4.jpg

Tain

Owned a Genesis as a kid when everybody else I knew had a SNES. Eventually got a SNES for cheap, probably around 2000 or so. Picked up games here and there, since.

It's been a little bit since I played a SNES/SFC game. I think the last one I played was Actraiser, which is pretty great. Before that was Assault Suits Valken, though, which is even better, and probably one of the best console-exclusive games of the generation. I have big to-do list when it comes to SFC games, including Darius Twin, Pilotwings, Actraiser 2, Ninja Warriors Again, and a bunch more. I think the console has a bit more in terms of action games than I usually give it credit for.

Not a fan of the RPG stuff, mostly. I don't think I like Yoshi's Island, either. :S

That whole console generation is a close one, with the obvious exception of King Neo Geo.

brian!

The Snes was my first ever video game experience. My father bought it for me and my brother, bundles with Super Mario World, I can still remember my mother yelling at him haha.

snesfreak

Banned
Got it for Christmas in 91, remember playing Mario World at Toys R Us before then.
First game I got was U.N. Squadron, I think it was my Uncle that got us that.
So many good memories playing Mario World and Sim City and Zelda and Actraiser.
Had all 3 versions of Street Fighter 2, we'd play it non-stop. NBA Jam as well.
I remember wanting Chrono Trigger, but I couldn't afford to buy it so we just kept renting it over and over again :lol.

I love this thing, but that should be obvious from my username.
Greatest system ever made.

Got it the X-Mas it was released. You couldn't convince me that there was anything better. I was a bit of a dumb kid when it came to taste however, and I missed out on a LOT of jRPGs. I had the good sense to get the hits, though.

Mario World 1 and 2, TMNT4, Killer Instinct, Kirby Super Star, Mario Kart, Mario RPG, and a few other games that I can't recall off the top of my head. But the one game that I felt was the crown jewel in my collection was Tetris Attack.

Speaking of TA, I had lent a friend my SNES and some of my games because he had completely missed out an foolishly chose a Genesis as a kid. Before I left his place, I showed him Tetris Attack and schooled him in a few rounds. He still had a blast, and spent about a month during the summer enjoying the system.

Fast-forward to when I came to pick up my system, and he demands a rematch in TA and nearly beats the shit out of me. We never stopped playing it and the variants that were released.

I loved my SNES. I got it near launch with SMW and F-Zero. Some of the other games I owned were KI, Chrono Trigger, Tecmo Super Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl III, Tecmo Super Basketball, Tecmo Super Baseball, Madden (forgot the year), Super Play Action Football, LttP, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario All-Stars, Tetris & Dr. Mario, Final Fantasy "II" (found it a few years ago at a Gamestop), Final Fantasy "III", Super Metroid, Street Fighter II, Donkey Kong Country, Mortal Kombat (I think), Contra III, Illusion of Gaia, Breath of Fire, and a Super Game Boy. Some of these I have sold, but I still have most of them.

I also rented a lot of games. MMX, E.V.O., Clayfighter, Actraiser, Star Fox, Inindo: Way of the Ninja, The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Sim City, and Super Black Bass just to name a few.

I could go for awhile on this, but I'll stop there.

The SNES & the PSX were the best systems ever. I recently finished Ganbare Goemon 4 as I'm replaying most of my SNES games these days.

Peagles

My first console was a Sega Master system. Nintendo has never really been popular here in NZ so I didn't get a SNES until a few years ago, maybe 2005? When we were really young the only exposure we had to SNES was that we always used to laugh at the SNES cardboard boxes in the video game shop we used to hire games from because we thought the Star Wing box art looked funny. There were two whole walls of Sega games and a very small shelf of Nintendo games, so we didn't really even know what a SNES was.

We got a Mega Drive second, always had Gameboys, but didn't get a Nintendo home console til the '64. After that we carried on the Nintendo tradition, but in terms of the SNES, as kids we only really played on emulators until I managed to acquire one in '05. Even then, a lot of the games we liked (Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy games) were not released in PAL regions, so as young kids, the only way we knew to play them was on emulators, and as adults, our only option is to import or find remakes.

Now I have a Super Famicom too after I scored one in the box for $20 on TradeMe, about 7 Super Famicom games, and 10 or so SNES games. I'm slowly adding games to my collection, but they're so hard to find here, I end up importing most from Japan or the UK. I'd love a copy of FF6 and Earthbound, but I just don't have the money, so I have to abstain for now.

Great system though!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Super Mario World was the first game I ever beat. I learned how to count, add and subtract from playing this game. SNES is the best. It's my childhood. A Link to the Past is my favorite game ever too. So great.

I had an NES and Genesis. Saw the SNES was coming out and somehow got hold of Mario World booklet. Had no idea it was out when my cousin's friend had one playing Final Fantasy II. The music was so rich at the time and the graphics were more detailed than anything I had seen before on a console. But at that time, everything centered around Street Fighter II and that was my killer app. Finally got an SNES and Final Fantasy II. Loved Mario World amd Turtles in Time. Then my dad bought me Street Fighter Ii when it came out.

My cousin was a Sega fanboy so we would argue about which system was more powerful. I won.

My first system was a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2, but my first gaming memories were on PC.

In 1990 or so my dad got a demo of The Secret of Monkey Island packed in with a case of blank floppy discs. I played the hell out of it with him (I was 5ish at the time), and we eventually got the full game and played through it. Over the next few years we worked our way through pretty much all of the early 90s Lucasfilm Games point 'n clicks.

JWong

Banned
I played a ton of SNES games. Got it launch day.

But it could not compare to the vastly superior PC Engine + CD-Rom

Duxxy3

Bought my one and only SNES for street fighter 2. I think the same day i got the system i had it hooked up to my aunts tv. Played street fighter for the entire day and was getting cheaped out by bison over and over, so there was a bit of swearing. My aunt was on the other side of the house (at least 60 feet away and through walls) and could still hear me.

My best memories are from the big 2 Square games, FFVI and Chrono Trigger. My original system is still in the basement next to my second Genesis. It's grey and yellow now but i'm sure it works.

Back when the system came out my family couldn't afford so every now and then I'd have one rented for the weekend. So I rented it when it first came out and played Super Mario World.

My first major memory is of Street Fighter 2, the first version that came out on the system. I first played it on a demo unit at a Target with some girl. I stood there and played it with her for quite a long time and it's the game that motivated me to work towards finally buying the system.

But my strongest memory is of EarthBound. I remember when it was first released I kept eyeing the large box at a rental place but ignored it at first. Maybe a month or two after it had been out I finally gave in and rented. From Friday evening to Sunday evening all I did was play that game and completed it. It became my all-time favorite game for quite awhile. I even remember thinking, "I can't believe this game isn't more popular" because as years went by any time I talked to someone about it it seemed like no one had heard of it. And now it's incredibly popular and has a huge fan base. Blows my mind.

November 1992. Dad took me to Kiddie City to get one for my 11th birthday. I could get two games with it, and I picked SimCity and Super Play Action Football. Dumb choices, but later in that gen I owned FFII, FFIII, Secret of Mana, LTTP, Mario Kart, NHLPA '93, DKC, and many more.

The night I first had it was my birthday party - sleepover in the basement. Nobody wanted to play Super Play Action Football because it sucked, so I played SimCity until about 3AM. That party probably sucked for everyone else but I had a blast.

Another memory I have is getting the VHS preview tape of Donkey Kong Country in the mail.

dkc2.jpg

I had ended my Nintendo Power sub about a year before (had it since '89), so had no idea why it was sent to me. But I was so hyped - I watched the shit out of that tape, and bought the game day one. I think I beat it the first day I had it.

I just bought a SNES within the last year. I have Super Metroid (somehow missed that as a kid), Super Star Wars, Super Mario World, Desert Strike, and Breath of Fire.

fernoca

My first experience with one, was seen a dmeo unit on a lcoal toys store called Gitty's Toys . :p

Back then I had to rely on my parents for the most part, so I got a SNES relatively later into the generation. (1995/1996, the one bundled with Killer Instinct) played and loved the hell out of it.

At the same time, it technically didn't lasted much in my case. The next year (1997) I started in my first full time job (well, full time even though it was only for a month :p) (was 14 years old) and got a Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 with my first check.

But loved it, and getting it late got me into having more choices of awesome games for relatively cheaper prices, even when many were priced at over $80 (like Chrono Trigger and Street Fighter); but it was a great experience.

bh7812

Banned
I still remember very clearly the first time I ever saw a Super Famicom/Super NES.

The first time I saw a Super Famicom: I posted in an earlier thread this year where people shared their memories of the first games they ever rented that I had rented games for many years from a local video store and I got to know the owner well. I often got special treatment and first pick of all the new games that came in every week before he'd put them on the shelf to rent out to everyone else. For many years, I couldn't mention or talk about the special treatment I got but the place closed 12 years ago so I think I'm ok to mention it now. Anyway, in 1990, almost exactly 1 year before the Super NES made it's US debut, I had gone in to rent some games and after I'd checked them out, the owner of the store said I'd probably never seen the back of the store and told me to come on back and he'd show me that part of the store. Sitting on his desk was a Japanese Super Famicom! I'd read plenty about it and had seen plenty of pictures of both the system and games going back even before it came out in Japan but that was the very first time I'd ever actually seen one. On top of that, it was actually on and running at the time. The game that was running? Super Mario World. I was completely floored at the difference between 8 and 16 bit! That jump was truly staggering and I very much doubt we will see that dramatic of a jump in tech ever again. I only got to see it for a few moments and didn't get to play it but I can say this much: When I took the NES games I'd rented home that day, they paled in comparison to the brief peek I got 1 year into the future. The owner told me it was coming to the US the following fall..I figured he was wrong or had mis-information as sometimes happens but a few months later sure enough they announced it for Fall 1991.

First time I saw a US Super NES: I'll never ever forget that day. The Super NES had JUST been out not quite a month when I went to a local Wal Mart. I walk in the door and I heard a very distinct sound effect coming from the electronics dept. Now, I'd seen the SMW cartoon on TV a few Saturdays before that and knew immediately that it was the jumping noise in SMW. So, I ran to the electronics dept and sitting on a shelf in a corner hooked to a TV (It wasn't even an official display, just the system hooked to a TV) was the Super NES! That was my first up close look at the system. I played Mario World for a good 2 hours that day and went home blown away. I always liked my NES and did after seeing the Super NES too but I never did look at it in quite the same way. I actually got my own Super NES either that Xmas or in '92. Will never have that kind of experience again-walking into the store and suddenly seeing something like that for the first time.

I have only one regret with that system: The US design was okay but I liked the design of the Super Famicom a LOT more and wish still to this day they'd gone with that instead!

We're never going to see anything like that system ever again. It was a special time and I wish younger kids could have experienced it. They advertised the crap out of the thing at launch and it was just un-frickin-surreal. They did a perfect job showing the leap from 8 to 16 bit in a lot of the commercials.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I remember seeing Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past running on it at a friend's house. That was the point where I needed to get a SNES. I believe I was 10 or 11 and my mother bought the Super Mario All-Stars pack-in for the whole family. It was a few months till I tracked down Zelda.

Link to the Past is still my favourite Zelda title.

speedpop said:
I remember seeing Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past running on it at a friend's house. That was the point where I needed to get a SNES. I believe I was 10 or 11 and my mother bought the Super Mario All-Stars pack-in for the whole family. It was a few months till I tracked down Zelda.

Link to the Past is still my favourite Zelda title.

Same here. Just listening to the music sends chills down my spine.

Big Papa Husker said:
I got my SNES in 1992 for my birthday. I remember the first time I played SMW; it was INSANE! I remember going to BBV and the local grocery store to rent the games.

One of my favorite games on the system was:
Magical Quest Starring Mickey

Actually, now that I think about it, most of the Disney games on NES/SNES were great! :)

Disney + Capcom = Win.

Aladin, Bonkers, Goof Troop, Magical Quest ... so awesome.

The SNES is my favourite consoles of all time. Just ahead of the X360 and the Dreamcast. i grew up in Perth, WA so we had a PAL SNES. i Had one and a Megadrive at the same time.

The best games i had were:

• Killer Instinct
    Yoshi's Island
    FFII and III
    ChronoTrigger
    Secret of Mana
    Illusion of Time
    SSFII Turbo
    Turtles Tournament Fighters
    Act Raiser
    Donkey Kong Country
    Mario Kart

I loved the boxes, the cartridges, the controllers. I regret selling it so much especially the Square RPGs. id do anything to get them back in the condition i had them in. such great memories and i have never had that feeling of pure happiness i had whilst playing the SNES.

Zing

Banned
The SNES was relatively late in being released. I owned and loved the NES and still had a subscription to Nintendo Power, but the Genesis looked better to me. Strider was my favourite game at the time. I was too poor to own a Genesis, so I would rent one from the video store every few weeks.

Fast forward a year and Link to the Past hit the streets. My girlfriend had a SNES and managed to get Zelda for free from the store due to the price drop occurring within 30 days of her mom buying the system (went from $199 to $129). After three days of playing the game almost every minute I was there, I decided to get my own system.

I kept up with the games until around 1995 when partying and drinking became more important. Sold my system and all my games to my friend's nephew. I went completely out of gaming, hell I even sold off my computer, until the advent of Tekken on the PlayStation.

Earlier this year, I got back into the NES, which ultimately got me back into SNES. I bought a new-in-bow SNES model 2 and I am up to around 20 games in my collection.

Natetan

$%28KGrHqR,!gwE06HgYVpZBNW+Rf,jsw~~_35.JPG

This was the ultimate hype machine. the graphical power compared to the nes was such a leap forward. i also mowed lawns to buy my snes. i basically rented games though as they were expensive, only buying the biggies like ff2(IV) and super metroid. I actually rented ff3(VI) for like an entire month, and then ended up buying it used it was so good. i probably went on to beat it a bunch more times too.

there were so many awesome games coming out then. I don't really enjoy gaming anymore, but the (s)nes/genesis (and psx and ps2 to a small extent) were times when i really enjoyed gaming. I have a lot of fond memories from gaming back then.

Top Bottom