• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

Zing

Banned
bh7812 said:
I have only one regret with that system: The US design was okay but I liked the design of the Super Famicom a LOT more and wish still to this day they'd gone with that instead!

One of the stated design goals for the US version was a top with plenty of curves to discourage people putting their drinks on the system. Apparently, this was a widespread problem with the NES, causing a lot of repairs and support calls.

Silly Americans.

snesfreak

Banned
Natetan said:
$%28KGrHqR,!gwE06HgYVpZBNW+Rf,jsw~~_35.JPG
Oh hell yes, I remember that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The first time I saw Super Mario World it was running on a SFC at a PowerPlay games. They wanted $400 for the system, so I ended up walking out of the store with a TG-16 instead.

When the SNES was properly released, I saw SMW (ho hum) UN Squadron (Zzzz... Shooters are boring) F Zero (meh) Super Ghouls and Ghosts (intensely dislike the series) Castlevania IV (no RPG elements like CV2 so I didn't care). Only Zelda Link to the Past and Final Fight (when I fainlly got FF a few years later it proved to be a massive disappointment) really drew my attention. That wasn't enough to get my money though. By that point, I had a TG-16, a Lynx, and a Genesis and was satisfied with stuff like Pit Fighter, Streets of Rage, and Lynx Ninja Gaiden.

I only really wanted a SNES when SF2 was announced.

Then my Lynx vanished, (I suspect my best friend at the time stole it) so my parent's homeowner's insurance check netted me a SNES and SF2.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Bought it at launch from Woolworths I think. Had a Genesis already, but I missed the Nintendo franchises I loved on the NES. Great system. My favorite ever.

RedSwirl

The Super NES was my brother's console, and through it he basically set the baseline for my tastes in video games (which was eventually overridden by the time of the Gamecube).

Actually, I don't think I had ever even heard of an SNES until we got one! Sometime back in 92 my brother for some reason sold our NES at a yard sale and I was all like "WTF man!" I didn't know he had to sell it in order to afford his next console. The next few weeks were the only time in my life when I lived in a house without video games. Those days are a complete blank in my mind.

Needless to say I was blown away by Super Mario World and Final Fight that Christmas. That day was my first "new game console Christmas". From that point on though my brother chose all the game purchases.

He made pretty good choices too. The day before my seventh birthday we were at Blockbuster and and he remarked "Oh hey, Street Fighter II came out." I'm all like "What's Street Fighter II?" I had never played a fighting game before. The next day was one of my best birthdays ever.

Mortal Kombat II was probably the first game I got seriously hardcore on. Most older brothers give you full nelsons or swirlies. My brother forced me to play MKII with him and get my ass beat every day. Strangely enough the training turned me into probably one of the top local MKII players.

I think I rented a game from Blockbuster every week back in those days. I couldn't tell you the kinds of crap I played.

However, my brother doesn't really like Nintendo's first party games, and because of that I missed most of them during that era. Mario and Star Fox were about all he could stand for. I only got to play A Link to the Past at a friend's house and never got my own copy until 1998. I never got to play Super Metroid until it came out on Virtual Console. I just didn't like Yoshi's Island.

My brother also hated RPGs, and I pretty much missed all the ones of that era. The first time I played an RPG was when a friend brought over FFVI and I could play it for a bit, but I didn't really understand what was going on and didn't make it very far. I ended up roaming aimlessly when I finally got on the world map for the first time. Only owning an N64 after that, I didn't pick up another RPG until Grandia II on the Dreamcast in 2000.

DonMigs85

The SNES was the better all-around machine in terms of library, but if all you really cared about was sports and shooters then the Genesis was probably the better choice.
I'm also sad that the battery back-ups in some of my carts started going wonky last year (such as Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger, in the latter I lost my **-level save).

LQX

I remember I would sleep with a Consumers catalog(popular store in the 90's) and just look at the Super Nintendo and its games. Finally got one with Super Mario World for my birthday and played played it for hundreds of hours ending it practically every week as it was my only game. Got the Legend of Zelda awhile later and it became my new obsession.

The SNES brought me to my lowest though as I stole money form my mother to help buy Super Street Fighter which was like $80. It also brought out a compulsive behavior in me. All my games had to have the plastic dust covers if they were not in there boxes(which had to be mint) and I would neatly line up all my games alphabetically. I would also clean them with ear swabs weekly along with practically washing my SNES. To this day I still have bit of that compulsive behavior.

DonMigs85

LQX said:
I remember I would sleep with a Consumers catalog(popular store in the 90's) and just look at the Super Nintendo and its games. Finally got one with Super Mario World for my birthday and played played it for hundreds of hours ending it practically every week as it was my only game. Got the Legend of Zelda awhile later and it became my new obsession.

The SNES brought me to my lowest though as I stole money form my mother to help buy Super Street Fighter which was like $80. It also brought out a compulsive behavior in me. All my games had to have the plastic dust covers if they were not in there boxes(which had to be mint) and I would neatly line up all my games alphabetically. I would also clean them with ear swabs weekly along with practically washing my SNES. To this day I still have bit of that compulsive behavior.
Gasp
Did she punish you?
I also used to be pretty compulsive about cleaning and hooking everything up just right (even to the point the cartridge had to feel and sound a certain way when I insert it) but gradually I grew out of that behaviour by my mid to late teens.

My family had an NES by the time I was born, and the SNES came out around that time as well. When I was a toddler, my parents bought one for my sister and I to share as an Easter present (Yeah, Easter present; I think the only time that we ever got an Easter present). My sister would eventually amount a large collection of games, a lot of which were... awful. Eventually she got older and moved onto typical girly things and the system was pretty much mine. My two favorite games of all time are on it: Mario RPG and Kirby Superstar.

Even after getting up to the PS2/GCN era, I would keep my SNES plugged in through use of a AV circuit box... thing... whatever they're called, they allow you to keep 4 or so systems plugged in. Then I got an LCD screen TV, and just hooked my PS3 up.

Recently I tried to hook my SNES up and couldn't get it to work. Not sure what's wrong. Just getting a flashing white screen.

Emitan

_dementia said:
Bought one in 2005 from gamestop. Great system. My favorites are Super Metroid and FF3/6j
I think that's when I bought mine give or take. Mario World is the best, but Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, FFVI and Chrono Trigger are also top choices.

I remember seeing pictures of the first games in Gamepro and EGM, and being a bit underwhelmed. Finally seeing them in motion on Gamepro TV got me excited though. Super Castlevania 4 and Super Ghouls and Ghosts really blew my mind, and I couldn't believe how realistic the music was in CV4. They showed off a lot of the fancier effects, mainly Mode 7 with the rotating levels and shit. Never saw anything like that before.

I got to play one a month after it came out. My uncle rented one with Final Fight, F-Zero and Gradius 3, and brought it over. For some reason, we played Gradius 3 first and I thought "WTF is this shit?". It was full of slowdown and just pathetic compared to the best Genesis shmups. Then we played Final Fight, and not being familiar with the arcade version, it impressed the hell out of me. The sprites seemed impossibly huge and detailed. It kicked ass.

I broke my leg that summer and my mom bought me an SNES and CV4. It was awesome, I played the shit out of that masterpiece.

For some reason, I have no recollection of my first experiences with Super Mario World, though of course I also played the shit out of that.

My older brother asked for a Super Nintendo for Christmas the year it was released. My dad worked long hours and our mother worked with him so we were kind of free after school to do what we wanted. Anyway, one night my brother notices my dad with a real big bag from Software ETC and got a peak of where he hid it. The next day he found it and saw his SNES and a couple games. He told me about it and we decided to carefully open it and our games so we could play them early. So for a few weeks before Christmas we'd play SNES as long as we made sure to put it away before our parents got home. It was sneaky and dishonest but we played the hell out of it and did the same thing with our 3DO a few years later.

Good old days.. :)

qq more

I think I got the SNES pretty late in its life...around 1996/1997 was when I got it. I played so much of it, especially games like Super Mario World. Other games I had as a kid were Judge Dredd, Mario Paint, Super Mario All-Stars, DOOM and... I kind of forgot about the rest. But I've missed out on so many good SNES games as a kid as you can tell.

Fast forward to the mid 00s, I learned my bro has long sold the SNES and last year I've decided to purchase a SNES off of ebay. My library right now consists of 20 games:

Super Game Boy
Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario Paint
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Donkey Kong Country 1 to 3
F-Zero
Stunt Race FX (came with the SNES I bought from ebay)
Star Fox
Every SNES Mega Man game, including, yes, Soccer. (But not MMBASS as it's Japan only)
Goof Troop
Gradius III
Aero the Acro Bat (came with the SNES from ebay too)
Plok

I'm missing out on some other games but so far I'm currently planning on trying to get Earthbound... but no luck yet.

Natetan

bh7812 said:
I have only one regret with that system: The US design was okay but I liked the design of the Super Famicom a LOT more and wish still to this day they'd gone with that instead!

i disagree. always loved the snes design, and when i saw the SFC design years later, was even more happy the SNES got the design it did.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got the SNES with Super Mario All Stars + World for Christmas, forgot what year. As with most of my older consoles I didn't have all that many games for it, but fortunately many of the best games have been remade or ported.

SNES is home to the only Zelda game I've played and legitimately like. My most fond memory is SMRPG though. My aunt got it for me for Christmas and I thought it was the most incredible thing ever. It was my first RPG, and I wondered "why aren't there more games like this?" If only my young, uneducated self knew.

DonMigs85

Natetan said:
i disagree. always loved the snes design, and when i saw the SFC design years later, was even more happy the SNES got the design it did.
Nintendo really loved lavender/purple though. It wasn't a huge deal, but I kinda wished the power and reset switches were gray instead.

Bought one late in the system's life after being insanely jealous of my neighbor's SNES (mostly because of Link to the Past). Totally worth it. I have great memories of FF6 and Lufia 2, among others.

EDIT: Also, Kirby's Super Star is one of the greatest platformers ever made.

bh7812

Banned
Natetan said:

I can respect that opinion. As the first post on this page says, one of the reasons the US Super NES looks how it does was to discourage people from putting their drinks on it and spilling on it since that was a problem with the NES. Thinking about how the US NES looks I totally believe that, probably thousands of people spilled their drinks on their NESes!

I love threads like this, and reading people's memories of years gone by. These are also the kind of threads where it's easiest for me to contribute something too.

I remember me and my little brother went with our dad to Serromonte when we were little to buy snes bundle. I don't remember but it came with Donkey Kong Country and we bought Super Mario World. My first game I have played was Donkey Kong Country. I remember my dad hiding the snes on top of the refrigerator so I wouldn't reach it because if I play too much, then I would've got addicted to playing games. I also remember my dad bought games for us till around the N64 era where he stopped buy games. I went back to snes a year ago to play mega man x-x3 and I was happy to beat them.

storl026

We went on family vacation to visit friends out of state. I was 5 yrs old, and my sister was 8 yrs old. The family we were visiting had a Super Nintendo and Super Mario World. After spending a lot of that trip playing Super Mario World, my sister & I decided we HAD to have one.

My mom wasn't having it though. I guess she wanted to give us a good first lesson in the value of money, because she said that if we wanted it so badly, we would have to "earn it ourselves". So for about a year, any extra money we got paid from doing random chores (like $2 for 4 hrs of cleaning or whatever) went into a jar that we kept as a SNES savings account.

During the time we were saving, my dad occasionally let us rent a system from Blockbuster for the weekend.

We finally got together about $150, and my dad took us to Best Buy to get a Super Nintendo bundle with Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars. We played through those games backwards and forwards for months. It's silly the amount of time I've spent playing Super Mario World.

And I also remember unwrapping Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island for Christmas, after having no idea that it even existed. I was so excited.

Rehynn

I'm from Hungary, and my family wasn't doing too well financially in the early 90s, so you can say I had very limited access to video games at the time. But not my grandma, who had moved to the US in the 70s. Long story short, on my 5th Christmas a huge box showed up under the tree and it was an NTSC SNES with Mario World. I think I almost got a heart attack when I unwrapped it.
Over the years, she would send me games for birthdays, Christmases, etc, and the funny thing is, I never really told her what games I wanted (the Hungarian games magazine rarely had previews, especially on NTSC releases), she just talked to people at stores or checked out the boxes to see if I'd be into the game.
Relying on this approach, she got me:
-Mario World (obviously)
-Super Scope (I felt like a fucking superhero)
-Mega Man X (this might have been the only game I had explicitly asked for)
-DKC 1-2-3
-Mario RPG (thank God for getting an NTSC console!)
-Batman Forever
-TMNT Tournament Fighters
-Street Fighter II (I may have asked for this one too, but I'm not sure. It also made me the coolest kid on the block)
-Yoshi's Island
-Mario Kart
-Star Fox
-Super Return of the Jedi
-Earthworm Jim 2
-Super Game Boy

It's my favorite system to this day, and I still buy games for it.

Suairyu

Banned
I had a Mega Drive, a friend had a SNES. We would regularly swap consoles to see what was up on the other side of the fence. I was better at all their games, too, so I ended up beating Super Mario World before they did, all while borrowing it for a week (back then, of course, games that we could beat in four hours today took us weeks on end). They also had Cool Spot, which was freaking awesome.

Overall I preferred my Mega Drive though. It wasn't just that I was a Sonic fanboy (though that was a huge element), but also that I think I preferred arcade-style games, which obviously SEGA consoles have always had the best selection of. Had my friend any of the RPGs, maybe I would have preferred the SNES but neither of us got into RPGs in a huge way until the PS1.

edit - DKC sucks.

JDAWGZZZ

Asked for a Genesis for Christmas back in 1994 or so. I got a Super Nintendo instead. Best thing that ever happened to me, gaming wise. I LOVED Mario World, Zelda: ALttP, DKC, and Mega man X. Didn't "get" RPGs at the time and didn't play them until years later. Overall a fantastic console, and I feel the games have aged very well.

Rehynn

JDAWGZZZ said:
Asked for a Genesis for Christmas back in 1994 or so. I got a Super Nintendo instead. Best thing that ever happened to me, gaming wise. I LOVED Mario World, Zelda: ALttP, DKC, and Mega man X. Didn't "get" RPGs at the time and didn't play them until years later. Overall a fantastic console, and I feel the games have aged very well.

I'm SO glad I didn't get Zelda:LttP when I was a kid. I would've NEVER finished that thing and it might have scared me away from the series for good.

Link's Awakening was my first Zelda, a perfect start.

DonMigs85

storl026 said:
We went on family vacation to visit friends out of state. I was 5 yrs old, and my sister was 8 yrs old. The family we were visiting had a Super Nintendo and Super Mario World. After spending a lot of that trip playing Super Mario World, my sister & I decided we HAD to have one.

My mom wasn't having it though. I guess she wanted to give us a good first lesson in the value of money, because she said that if we wanted it so badly, we would have to "earn it ourselves". So for about a year, any extra money we got paid from doing random chores (like $2 for 4 hrs of cleaning or whatever) went into a jar that we kept as a SNES savings account.

During the time we were saving, my dad occasionally let us rent a system from Blockbuster for the weekend.

We finally got together about $150, and my dad took us to Best Buy to get a Super Nintendo bundle with Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars. We played through those games backwards and forwards for months. It's silly the amount of time I've spent playing Super Mario World.

And I also remember unwrapping Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island for Christmas, after having no idea that it even existed. I was so excited.
Sniff. Stories like this always bring a tear to my eye.
I wonder if today's kids are the same. Since then gaming has become so... so mass-produced.

Murkas

I love it and still have the same SNES hooked up. Countless pads had the start and select button chewed out by my little sister so we had like 5 replacements. I was about 4/5 when we had it.

Favourite game was Super Metroid, i would do anything to get back my copy, the huge box and guide :(

Other favourites include Zelda:LTTP, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario all stars and

Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

Never got to play Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and FF3/6 because of how awesome PAL is...

zmet

I have both a Genesis and SNES (both purchased on their release days). I played the Genesis more but got my RPG fix on the SNES.

The Foul

I first saw the snes at a school-friend's place back in the day, it had just come out & had never heard of it before then. Was fortunate enough to have a nes for years prior & rented/owned all the great games (Megamans, Marios, Zeldas, Castlevania notably). I remember being completely blown away by the idea that there existed a "Super" Nes, with "Super" versions of Mario, Zelda & Probotector etc. My mate only owned one game; Super Castlevania IV, and it was that way for a long time. We had it memorized by the time he got his second game, Spiderman & The Xmen, which was shit so we kept playing castlevania (lives & frames, if you die or pass the section, you pass the controller).

We rented & beat all the PAL release-era greats together, finally receiving my own Snes for christmas that year (93? though I had to sell my Nes & all its awesome games *sadface*). Along with the console I got Super Mario World, Super Star Wars & Mortal Kombat; all of which got a total flogging by me, my mates & my dad (a trend that continues). Rentals were cheap in our area so we didn't need to buy many games, especially in the early years, choosing to purchase only the creme dela creme. Due to Zelda 1 & 3, I fell in love with adventure/RPG's, despite many of them never coming to Australia. Eventually I went on to own/beat/love Megaman X, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Terranigma, Lufia 2, Mystic Quest Legend (no pal FF yousee), Secret of Evermore, Equinox, Illusion of Gia, Harvest Moon (at the end) and loads more... the end result being many many good memories, mainly spent with my mates hunched around a snes+tv on the after school & on weekends drinking coke & maxing out games.

Edit: Heres a nice youtube vid of 100 snes games in 10 minutes. Rad trip down memory lane.

Myriadis

Bought it last year.My games are so far:
Super Mario Allstars
Super Mario World
StarFox
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 3

Of these games,I greatly enjoyed SMA,SMW,Starfox and DKC.SMW was a nice game,but I actually prefer SMB2 & 3 over it.I also have Yoshis Island in the GBA version,with the 6 extra levels and the Yoshi sounds that I prefer.
I loved DKC,but I think that DKC3 is awful.It looks great,sure,but I don't like neither Dixie nor Kiddy and I don't think that the level design is that great.I tried it several times but I always turned it off after 20 minutes.

I'm planning to buy Super Metroid,some Mega Man games,Street Fighter II and Lost Vikings.I want to play FFVI,Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger,but none of them were released on the SNES in Europe.Thanks a lot,NoE.

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember that i wanted a SNES really bad when i was a kid (i already had a NES). I even cried when i didnt get one hehe :( But it was quite expencive, so i understand it. I never owned a SNES when i was a kid and not many of my friends had one either. But one of my friends had one, so i did get around to play some. And when i was at my uncle's place, we sometimes used to rent a SNES from the video store.

I think i bought my first SNES back in 2002-2003 or something. I bought it at an online auction. Today i own several of SNES consoles and probably got around 100 games for it.

qq more

test_account said:
I remember that i wanted a SNES really bad when i was a kid (i already had a NES). I even cried when i didnt get one hehe :( But it was quite expencive, so i understand it. I never owned a SNES when i was a kid and not many of my friends had one either. But one of my friends had one, so i did get around to play some. And when i was at my uncle's place, we sometimes used to rent a SNES from the video store.

I think i bought my first SNES back in 2002-2003 or something. I bought it at an online auction. Today i own several of SNES consoles and probably got around 100 games for it.
Are any of the games Earthbound?

test_account

XP-39C²
qq more said:
Are any of the games Earthbound?
Unfortunately not. I had a chance to buy a complete copy about a year ago for around $150, but i forgot about it, and when i remembered it again, the auction had ended :\ But most of my games are PAL version (i live in Europe).

I'm not too updated on what is rare games for SNES, but i think my rarest games are Bomberman 3, Terranigma (australian version with white box), Syvalion, Mega Man X2 and X3 (all games are complete with box and manual, and all those games are the PAL version).

Rehynn said:
I'm from Hungary, and my family wasn't doing too well financially in the early 90s, so you can say I had very limited access to video games at the time. Except my grandma, who had moved to the US in the 70s. Long story short, on my 5th Christmas a huge box showed up under the tree and it was an NTSC SNES with Mario World. I think I almost got a heart attack when I unwrapped it.
Over the years, she would send me games for birthdays, Christmases, etc, and the funny thing is, I never really told her what games I wanted (the Hungarian games magazine rarely had previews, especially on NTSC releases), she just talked to people at stores or checked out the boxes to see if I'd be into the game.
Relying on this approach, she got me:
-Mario World (obviously)
-Super Scope (I felt like a fucking superhero)
-Mega Man X (this might have been the only game I had explicitly asked for)
-DKC 1-2-3
-Mario RPG (thank God for getting an NTSC console!)
-Batman Forever
-TMNT Tournament Fighters
-Street Fighter II (I may have asked for this one too, but I'm not sure. It also made me the coolest kid on the block)
-Yoshi's Island
-Mario Kart
-Star Fox
-Super Return of the Jedi
-Earthworm Jim 2
-Super Game Boy

It's my favorite system to this day, and I still buy games for it.

Your grandma is awesome, I wish I had one like that when I was a kid.

The Euro/Japan design of the console is so much prettier than what we've got. :(

Purchased the system with my kid brother during the summer of 1992 and we played the heck out of SMW. Then we rented F-Zero, Contra III, Final Fight, Super Castlevania IV, Gradius III (thank God for the slowdown - I suck at shooters), U.N. Squadron, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Extra Innings (ok, not a classic but a fun little baseball game nonetheless), etc.

There was so much quality software available in the SNES' first year, which we'll probably never witness again (it obviously helped that the system had been out in Japan for a while though).

Haunted

First console I bought with my own money in 1994. A used one for 180 Mark together with a couple games and a US adapter, I distinctly remember Zelda, FFIII and Warlock being among the first.

Good times.

edit: I feel for you NA people for getting the shit design. :/ oh well.

I sold my Mega Drive to buy a Super Famicom specifically for Super Ghouls & Ghosts and Street Fighter 2. I got an MD again later because I loved the system so much, but SNES was a great machine too, LTTP was my first Zelda game and still my favourite probably. The multiplayer balloon battles in Mario Kart another vivid memory.

Negator

I grew up with Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I rented Final Fantasy II (4) so many times that I think we could have bought the game twice over. My SNES no longer works but I still keep my collection of SNES games. Lots of games I used to own have sadly been lost over the years but I'm still proud of my collection:

Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Illusion of Gaia
Legend of Zelda: LTTP
Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Megaman X
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World

aceface

I bought an SNES with my 8th grade graduation money in 1993. Back when I was a kid I had a subscription to Nintendo Power and they had a spread on FFIV in one of their issues. I remember reading it over and over again. Finally when the game came out I played it constantly for about a 2 week period. I didn't quite grasp RPG basics back then so I ran away from every battle because I thought they were annoying. I'm still not quite sure how I beat the final boss.

So fast forward 18 years, now the same SNES is set up in my basement/kids playroom and I play it every day for my 4 year old and 2 year old. I beat Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World in the past couple of days. For some reason they love the ending of SMW so every day they are like "Beat Bowser? Beat Bowser??" I've watched that ending a million times in the past couple of days. I'm going to go through a Link to the Past next. It's awesome sharing something that I've loved with my kids. Even cooler because it's the exact same system, that thing is a monster.

got it on launch day, April 1992. The Snes is also the first console I started sniffing, and my sniffing fetish hasn't gone away yet

got it with Super Tennis and F-Zero, both completely ignored when i started playing SMW. Played it for months, always wide-eyed and amazed at the music, graphics, colourful fantasy. I had a Megadrive but it was kicked in the closet as soon as I recognized the superiority of Nintendo. What's this shit Sonic bollocks? SMW beats the frak outta it! Some friends came down to my house and tried to start a console war, but they all changed their mind after seeing SMW for the first time

then it was shopping fest with something like 60 games for it, the vast majority excellent. Still close to my heart

The first gaming console I was conscious of owning was an NES. My brother got a Sega Genesis for Christmas 1991, and around New Years Eve, I got to play it for myself. I was hooked on Sonic the Hedgehog that night, but my brother moved out shortly afterwards. As a child, I became obsessed with finding ways to play Sonic again. Demo kiosks at stores were heaven-sent.

I begged my Mom for a Genesis of my own all year long. Christmas 1992 rolls around, I pull off the wrapping paper to discover... a SNES, with Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars (separate, not the combo cart).

"I thought you liked Mario? We had lots of fun playing Mario on the NES." said my Mom. I did like Mario. But I wanted to play Sonic again. I wanted a way for me to sit down and finish Sonic without having to stand around in the Electronics Section of K-Mart using their dirty, half-broken controller.

Oh well. Super Mario World was awesome. Having all of the NES Mario games with enhanced graphics and music was great. Though I was still obsessed with finding ways to play Sonic games through third parties, I loved my SNES to death. A lot of my favorite games of all time are on that system:

DKC
DKC2
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Stunt Race FX
Star Fox
Mega Man X
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Kirby Superstar

I still spent a considerable chunk of my time trying every Sonic clone to come to the console, though. Bubsy, Rocky Rodent, you name it.

Anasui Kishibe said:
started playing SMW. Played it for months, always wide-eyed and amazed at the music, graphics, colourful fantasy. I had a Megadrive but it was kicked in the closet as soon as I recognized the superiority of Nintendo. What's this shit Sonic bollocks? SMW beats the frak outta it! Some friends came down to my house and tried to start a console war, but they all changed their mind after seeing SMW for the first time
This reads like something out of the Nintendo Fun Club/Nintendo Power, haha! :D

That being said, even though I love the Genesis myself (well, my X'Eye to be precise), the SNES has a much more complete/compelling library. Still my second favourite system of all time after the NES (which I prefer because it was my first console and the reason I became obsessed with games at the time - objectively, the SNES is superior to the NES though).

-KRS-

I don't remember what year it was, but I remember getting Donkey Kong Country bundled with the system. So pretty late. It was still glorious though and much fun was had.

I never had Super Mario World as a kid, and I thought it was a very mysterious game when I played it for the first time on my cousin's SNES, because it was so different from the Mario games I was used to on the NES. I remember thinking it was sooo awesome that there were secret exits in some levels.

My parents didn't have a lot of money to spend on video games, so I mostly rented all the games back then. I remember there was a deal at my local rental shop were you could rent 4 games for 4 days for 44 SEK and I always used that option to rent SNES and Mega Drive games.

Natetan

aceface said:
So fast forward 18 years, now the same SNES is set up in my basement/kids playroom and I play it every day for my 4 year old and 2 year old. I beat Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World in the past couple of days. For some reason they love the ending of SMW so every day they are like "Beat Bowser? Beat Bowser??" I've watched that ending a million times in the past couple of days. I'm going to go through a Link to the Past next. It's awesome sharing something that I've loved with my kids. Even cooler because it's the exact same system, that thing is a monster.

That's a really cute story :)

I never thought about it back then, that these games would last and that people would play them with there own kids. Hard to know if something is going to go the way of 80's action flick, that only people who saw it at that time can still appreciate, or if it will be like monopoly or something, that will hang around and still entertain people.

madmackem

Loved it, was lucky to get one one xmas the year it came out in the uk. I remember my mams then boyfriend buying me this bad boy to butter me up.

262809-super_scope_super.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Got as SNES as a kid. I'm reasonably certain I got it for Christmas '91. I played it sitting about a foot away from our little CRT TV. I think the SNES (and the PC around the same time) were the consoles that transitioned me from "playing video games" to having video games as, like, a primary hobby.

One thing I remember was the absolutely stupid cheat books and/or preview books I had.

I had this one for cheats (not my photo):
IFH6n.jpg

I remember Actraiser and Super Castlevania IV so vividly because of how "next gen" they were. The music was no longer beeps and boops, it was like I had an orchestra in my house. The sprites scaled and shrank and spun. Mode 7. The bosses took up the whole screen. And almost no slowdown ever! Amazing.

My first time ever playing Contra III: The Alien Wars was at a friend's house. I knew this vaguely at the time but didn't appreciate it until much later in life, but the interesting thing was that he and has family had defected from the Soviet Union. They were part of the USSR's national circus, and had defected when they came to town with help from the people who ran the local gymnastics club. I don't see him anymore or even remember his last name to know how he's doing, but it's just something that sticks out from my childhood.

When Donkey Kong Country came out, I remember some retail promotion involving a temporary rub-on tattoo. It was so badass. I remember posing and getting pictures taken of it on my bicep (of course that's where I put it) because of how cool I thought it was. I'd wrap a plastic shopping bag around it when I was getting a shower, like people in casts do, so that it wouldn't get wet or rub off. After a few weeks, it rubbed off anyway, but I felt like the king of the world when I had it on.

As a kid, I had the following games purchased for me:
- Super Mario World
- Actraiser (begged my parents to get me FFII but it was either too expensive or not in stock at the defunct retail chain we went to, so I got Actraiser instead. Talk about serendipity!)
- Final Fantasy II
- Donkey Kong Country
- Donkey Kong Country II
- Donkey Kong Country III
- Final Fantasy III
- Lord of the Rings Volume 1
- Mario Paint
- Mario Kart
- SimCity
- Super Castlevania IV
- Super Mario RPG
- Super Mario All-stars (traded with another kid for Turtles in Time)
- Zelda: ALTTP

So that was a pretty substantial library to own as a kid just getting games for Christmas and Birthdays! Of course I rented like 90% of the major games on the system at least once--rentals were so cheap, like $3-4! One thing I loved about rentals was that I might only have the game for a day or two and it was impossible to get through the longer RPGs that fast, but there were almost always save files near the end of the game for me to load up and play. For about a decade my experience with Secret of Mana was the first 3-4 hours + the Mana Fortress, just because there was an end-game savegame on there.

Thankfully my parents never made me get rid of any of my old games when I bought new systems, so I was able to keep playing SNES through my teen years even after I had moved on to PS1.

Emulation was a pretty cool thing with SNES as well. When I was a teenager, it became possible to play SNES games on your PC. Half of them had issues; I remember having to toggle off layers in certain games to be able to play because of transparency problems. It was also amazing when Super Nintendo games started getting fan translations! Holy crap! Honestly, I ended up pirating a lot of SNES games in the late 90s--which I think was probably a pretty common experience for people here, especially with respect to Final Fantasy V (which I now own three copies of including JP SFC) and Seiken Densetsu 3 (which I recently bought for JP SFC). Obviously pirating the games wasn't right and I don't think I've pirated any games (SNES or otherwise) since I was in high school a decade ago, but it gave me a lot of great experiences and really opened my mind to some of the games that weren't available at the local stores, or even in North America at all.

In the early 2000s when it started being possible to buy games on eBay, my collection ballooned up well into the triple digits as I rebought a lot of the games I enjoyed playing emulated or that I remembered renting as a kid. Lots of games were available for dirt cheap, and stuff hadn't recirculated as well back then because if you bought a lot of 30 games, at least 10 of them were actually good. These days, sets of games are almost certainly just big blogs of sports games. I've since culled out all my sports games so my collection is a more manageable ~80 games, but there are still some gems I don't own.

I remember modding my SNES to play JPN games in 2002. A friend held onto the console while I tried to use a steak knife to cut the corner tabs off of it. We butchered it, but in the end it works. I have a handful of SFC games; FFIV, FFV, FFVI, Legend of the Mystical Ninja (came in a SNES lot), Mario & Wario, Seiken Densetsu 3. I hope to pick up a few others like Terranigma, Romancing SaGa 3, the Go Go Ackman series, Bahamut Lagoon, DoReMi Fantasy, Violinist of Hamelin, maybe a Parodius game or two, Umihara Kawase. Some of these are games I played pirated as a teenager and I'd like to eventually "make up for it" so to speak, some of them

These days game prices have come up a bit, which is unfortunate. I remember the days of bidding on Super 3d Noah's Ark, EVO, and other rare gems for ~$35-40 and just barely losing them. Now both games are closer to $100-150. That's too bad. I got Chrono Trigger for $30 circa 2003, and Earthbound for $40 circa 2005. Both have come up a bit since then, even with Chrono Trigger's DS rerelease. Virtual console and other rereleases have made it easier to legally replay a lot of the high quality games, but there are still some very expensive exceptions.

I don't play SNES games as often anymore, but I try to replay a handful every year. In 2011 I've played:
Spanky's Quest
Dino City -- just as terrible as I remember it.
Skyblazer
Super Castlevania IV

I still buy games too. Oddly enough, I was thinking about the SNES anniversary recently and picked up Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Out, which was a really high quality licensed platformer. Hopefully it'll be delivered from eBay soon, because I haven't played it since I rented it as a young kid.

GameSpite (the best gaming writing site on the net, and they release high-quality books for you to put on your bookshelf) will be releasing an issue dedicated to the SNES in the next month or two, so I'm hyped to check that out.

For anyone new to the SNES, Racketboy is the place to go. Here are their SNES specific guides. Best games under $10, a look at SNES RPGs, a beginner's guide, the games that defined the SNES. All good material. A lot of it is obvious to anyone who has been with the system since the beginning, but if you're new and want some direction, here's the place to go. (Incidentally, if Racketboy posts on GAF, great job dude, I love your site!)

The SNES remains hooked up in my guest bedroom, along with the Dreamcast, on an old SDTV. :)

The Foul said:

Cool, thanks for the link man.

Brinbe

Got mine around 93/94? Not sure on the exact time, but I was about six-years-old and damn was it awesome. I remember my cousins had it a bit earlier in 92, and I was just wowed and astounded by the likes of Super Mario World and LOZ: LTTP.

Damn, and I still vividly remember going to Microplay and picking up my first two games.

KcnSl.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5pmZ7tKB5o

PFmIM.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=471PliGQHZU

Almost twenty years later, and I still happily own that SNES and those games. What a fucking beast of a system.
3AQmK.gif

Top Bottom