• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

Tiktaalik

My friend and I rented Aerobiz Supersonic once, I'm guessing because we had rented every other possible game, as an airline simulator certainly couldn't have sounded all that interesting to a bunch of kids, but to our pleasant surprise it had a great multiplayer mode and was really fun. Later on, once I had some money to buy games, I tried to track it down and buy it but it turned out that it was super damn rare. I decided that I didn't want to spend the $60-$80 premium to get it on ebay and so I just kept an eye out for it whenever I'd go to flea markets. It took about 10 years but I eventually found it. I was super happy that day. Complete in box for ~$25 too.

orfax

I got my SNES in 1994 with my second pay check (the first went to a big screen TV, well big for the time). It came with SM All Stars. The first game I actually bought was Zelda: LttP. I rented it from a local video shop and was wowed by it so bought it the next day.

I never owned a lot of games. Others were Super Mario World, Yoshis Island, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, NBA Jam, Illusion of Time (PAL version of Illusion of Gaia), Terranigma, PAL Lufia (which was really Lufia 2), DKC series, Harvest Moon. I liked my RPGs and tried to buy all that were released locally, which was not many.

Here in Aus we never got some really big titles. I so wanted Super Mario RPG. But I did buy a converter and imported Final Fantasy 2 and Final Fantasy 3 from the US. FF3 had some graphical issues on a PAL machine which made it harder. Also at the end, after beating Kefka, it crashed. I never saw the full ending until many years later.

Amir0x

Banned
Dreweyes said:
All time favorite video game: Earthbound

ebfinish1_large.png

Had a huge impact on me as a kid.
So difficult to explain, but so many awesome things about this game just hit it right at home to me.

Love it. ♥

Tattoo I got on my left art:
SVzbC.jpg

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I like you.

Dipswitch

SNES was the second game console I ever bought - I had bought a Turbographix 16 previously for $99 to hold me over until I could afford one. I begged and cajoled my old man to drive me to a Toy's R Us store about 30 minutes away because the local one was sold out.

I remember being very chuffed when I grabbed it and Street Fighter II for what I'm sure was an obscene amount of money. Provided a lot of entertainment for me and the kid brothers back in the day though. Good times.

Ah, the SNES, from the very second that I laid eyes on the vibrant pastel colours of Super Mario World running in a store demo I was floored and the system was the most coveted thing in my youthful life.

Add to that the fact that it had Mega Man X, an amazing 16 bit rethinking of a series that was so crazy about that it bordered on mania.

Alas, the fates, and my dastardly father who hated videogames and would not allow me to buy a system even with my own hard earned money kept the system out of my reach for most of my life.

I mostly got to briefly experience its glory via store demos and at other people's places. Years later, when the SNES was defunct and the PSX was reigning supreme I purchased from a friend his SNES along with a busted ass Chinese Wildcard unit that would hook on top of it and play backup copies of games via floppies. But only if the rom was below a certain size, didn't use any of the fancy chips and even then it would often freeze midgame.

Even then I had to play the thing secretly and seeing as how only some games worked, and didn't work very well what with the random freezing I never quite got to have a proper SNES experience.

Now I've seen to rectify what the fates cheated me out of through my best friend, eBay. I got a mint new boxed SNES off of there and started to build up a collection of mint boxed classics. I now have 15 or so games, and my collection grows with each day. Of course I am also purchasing all the other systems that fate kept from me, and their library of classic.

I would no doubt have enjoyed these immensely more if I had gotten a chance to play them proper back in the day, but heck, most of the classics hold up and it is better to play them late than never.

There is just something magical about the SNES, especially the way that it renders graphics. Out of all of the other systems of the era I think it had the most standout aesthetics. Just the colour scheme of things like Super Mario World and Link to the Past floor me every time I see them, these games have not aged a second since release.

While my friend had a Genesis so I got to sample and play most of its classics proper I still prefer the sound capabilities of the SNES over it as well. The Genesis' unique sound/music profile just has something really grating about it whereas the SNES is just smooth. Same for graphics.

vani77a

Neo Member
my auntie who lives in japan gave to me and my brothers a super famicom, and the only game we had was rock and racing.

we often borrowed games from our neighbor, his father was from japan, like super mario world and dragon ball (which was in japanese, have to memorize the menu items by position).

rock and racing was great.
(i'm still playing it occasionally on my brother's old gba. still a great game.)

Diffense

Wow, they're pretty cheap and common.

I've never had one.
It's the only Nintendo home console I've never owned.
Though I have played a number of the best SNES era games that have been ported.

(In a funny twist, I do have a single SNES game that was bought for me by mistake)
(It's never been put in a SNES but I still have it to this day)

illadelph

So today I got for the SNES:

-Super Game Boy
-Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose
-Tin Star
-Earthworm Jim
-Joe And Mac
-Stunt Race FX
-Speedy Gonzales Los Gatos Bandidos

Awww yeah. Will post soon along with a bunch of other stuff in the pick-up thread.

Jomjom

Banned
I had a Famicom as a kid, but couldn't afford the SNES. When I ran out of games, I started reading a lot of books from the library. One day, I checked out a book and someone had been using a $100 bill as a bookmark. I tried to return it, but the library said to keep it. I used that and bought a SNES, eventually discovered my first Squaresoft game in Final Fantasy III (VI) and the rest is history.

Seanspeed

Banned
My favorite system of all-time. I remember when it came out as a kid. I played Super Mario World at Toys'R'Us and was blown away. My parents got me one for Christmas that year. Best parents ever. My mom actually liked the Final Fantasy games and would watch me play em.

So yea, this was when I discovered Final Fantasy. And Square in general. Secret of Mana is possibly in my top 5 favorite games of all-time. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore(I liked it!), Super Mario RPG, etc.

Also had some of the best multiplayer times with Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Contra 3, Turtles in Time, blah blah blah.

I still love the SNES' 16-bit graphics, too. Genesis games looked dull in comparison.

Fantastic machine from the golden era of JRPG's.

MaddenNFL64

had it back in the early 90s. Was my console of choice, even tho I did have a genesis too.

Fucking loved Super Mario World & FZero early on. Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Super Metroid, The Donkey Kong Country games later on. Oh, and fucking Final Fantasy 2 & 3 (4 & 6). Fucking badass.

I fucking forgot LTTP.

Muffdraul

The SNES is pretty much why I'm here today. I'm 42 and I started gaming on the original Magnavox Odyssey at the tender age of 3. I was there when Pong hit, and Space Invaders, and Asteroids, Defender, Pac Man, blah blah blah. I lost all interest when I was about 14. That was around the time "The Great Crash" happened, but from my point of view it was simply a matter of switching from toys and Saturday morning cartoons and Star Wars to Ramones and Black Flag records and learning to play the guitar and spending my remaining free time wondering what it would feel like to have a big titty in my hand.

About 7 years later it was 1991 and I had finished college. I was working and at some point I realized I needed to establish credit. How? I had no idea. I went around asking people. A co-worker told me "It's easy. Go to every electronics store you can find and apply for their store-only credit card. At least one of them will be desperate and stupid enough to give you one. Use it to buy something cheap but not too cheap... something you can pay off pretty quickly. Like a ghetto blaster or a camera or a Nintendo. Once you've paid it off, boom. You got credit." Sure enough, Silo Electronics approved me for a credit account. I couldn't think of anything I needed, and I had recently been seeing commercials for a game called F-Zero that kinda impressed me. "Man, games didn't look like that when I was playing them." So I bought an SNES. I figured I'd play with it once or twice and then sell it all or put it in the closet to collect dust, but between F-Zero and the copy of Super Mario World that came packed in, I was a born again gamer. Never stopped since.

Boney

Banned
Muffdraul said:
The SNES is pretty much why I'm here today. I'm 42 and I started gaming on the original Magnavox Odyssey at the tender age of 3. I was there when Pong hit, and Space Invaders, and Asteroids, Defender, Pac Man, blah blah blah. I lost all interest when I was about 14. That was around the time "The Great Crash" happened, but from my point of view it was simply a matter of switching from toys and Saturday morning cartoons and Star Wars to Ramones and Black Flag records and learning to play the guitar and spending my remaining free time wondering what it would feel like to have a big titty in my hand.

About 7 years later it was 1991 and I had finished college. I was working and at some point I realized I needed to establish credit. How? I had no idea. I went around asking people. A co-worker told me "It's easy. Go to every electronics store you can find and apply for their store-only credit card. At least one of them will be desperate and stupid enough to give you one. Use it to buy something cheap but not too cheap... something you can pay off pretty quickly. Like a ghetto blaster or a camera or a Nintendo. Once you've paid it off, boom. You got credit." Sure enough, Silo Electronics approved me for a credit account. I couldn't think of anything I needed, and I had recently been seeing commercials for a game called F-Zero that kinda impressed me. "Man, games didn't look like that when I was playing them." So I bought an SNES. I figured I'd play with it once or twice and then sell it all or put it in the closet to collect dust, but between F-Zero and the copy of Super Mario World that came packed in, I was a born again gamer. Never stopped since.
Awesome story pops :p

Zing

Banned
Muffdraul said:
I was working and at some point I realized I needed to establish credit. How? I had no idea. I went around asking people. A co-worker told me "It's easy. Go to every electronics store you can find and apply for their store-only credit card. At least one of them will be desperate and stupid enough to give you one.

I was in this same situation. I managed to get a Best Buy credit card with $500 credit and used it to buy a 28.8k modem ($250).

Muffdraul said:
The SNES is pretty much why I'm here today. I'm 42 and I started gaming on the original Magnavox Odyssey at the tender age of 3

Oh man, I still have an Odyssey 2. My uncle gave me one second hand when I was about 5. KC Munchkin > Pac Man, it's the truth!

I tried hooking my SNES up to my LCD TV today. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work. I get a black screen with a couple of white or gray lines going horizontally, mostly at the top of the screen. There was also a lot of flickering. No audio at all. Any ideas? Or is my SNES dead?

XLant

Neo Member
BY2K said:
20 years already.

The greatest system of all time.
Certainly among the top 3 consoles if nothing else.

Defining moment: playing Street Fighter II. At home.
And finally learning how to pull off a SH'ORE-YOU-CAN

Zing

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
I tried hooking my SNES up to my LCD TV today. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work. I get a black screen with a couple of white or gray lines going horizontally, mostly at the top of the screen. There was also a lot of flickering. No audio at all. Any ideas? Or is my SNES dead?

It's possible your TV does not support a 240p signal. Have you ever tried other older systems, such as N64 or PS1? Although, I'm not sure why you would get no audio.

GSR

It was the first system I had as a kid - in fact I can't remember not having one. I grew up with some of the classics (Mario All-Stars, Donkey Kong Country), but also some out-of-the-way gems by sheer coincidence: my mother bought Earthbound for us because it looked funny; we found Plok for cheap at our local FuncoLand; Illusion of Gaia was a birthday gift; my dad couldn't find Final Fantasy III, so he got us Mystic Quest instead, and we wound up enjoying that a ton for what it was. I have two SNESes now, and though I can emulate just about any SNES game on just about anything these days, I have no intention of getting rid of them.

Demigod Mac said:
787382-final_fight_snes_us_super.jpg

Was obsessed with Final Fight at the time (in the arcades)

Then I found out it was coming to SNES and that sealed the deal - I had to have it!
That and Actraiser blew me away completely.

Alas, Guy wasn't in the first SNES version, so I still had incentive to keep going to the arcade. But by that time, Street Fighter II had come out.

This game right here was it for me. Got my SNES December of 91'. Got the system, which was bundled with 2 controllers and super Mario world I believe. Also got Final Fight, Super baseball simulator .1000, Wailiae Golf, and Madden.

F'n loved that system, what a great mix of games, some legendary as has been noted over the years.

I remember when SF2 hit, was 85 bucks at EB, which was astronomical at the time, still would be today as well, we all felt blessed to be able to play SF2 at home.

I remember Zelda getting delayed a bunch of times, then finally coming out as A link to the past, and the rest is history.

Wow, what a great time for gaming, I really miss those days.

Muffdraul said:

That is a great story. Silo, wow, I remember that place. Going way back man.

soldat7

Saw Super R-Type at a friend's house and had to own one. I mowed lawns, painted addresses on people's curbs, and sold my NES and all my games to get one. It was so worth it.

Sega1991 said:
I begged my Mom for a Genesis of my own all year long. Christmas 1992 rolls around, I pull off the wrapping paper to discover... a SNES, with Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars (separate, not the combo cart).

This reminds me of something I regret doing as a know-it-all kid. I was at Costco with my mom and she wandered off to do some shopping while I looked at video game stuff. A couple came by and were eyeing a Sega Genesis for their son. He had specifically asked for a Genesis. Because of my deep Nintendo bias, I encouraged them in every way possible to pick up the SNES instead. For example, it was a multi-game Genesis system bundle so I would point out that, "Well, they're only packing in so many games because they're desperate!"

I never saw them ultimately select one, but I retroactively hope they got the Genesis their kid wanted and not an SNES because I wanted everyone to get what I liked or preferred. I hope it wasn't your parents, Blaze! Er, Sega1991! If it was--I'm sorry!

Lupin the Wolf said:
This reminds me of something I regret doing as a know-it-all kid. I was at Costco with my mom and she wandered off to do some shopping while I looked at video game stuff. A couple came by and were eyeing a Sega Genesis for their son. He had specifically asked for a Genesis. Because of my deep Nintendo bias, I encouraged them in every way possible to pick up the SNES instead. For example, it was a multi-game Genesis system bundle so I would point out that, "Well, they're only packing in so many games because they're desperate!"

I never saw them ultimately select one, but I retroactively hope they got the Genesis their kid wanted and not an SNES because I wanted everyone to get what I liked or preferred. I hope it wasn't your parents, Blaze! Er, Sega1991! If it was--I'm sorry!

Sorry for a system I ended up enjoying quite a lot? :p

I ended up getting a Genesis eventually, by the time Sonic 3 came out.

bh7812

Banned
While this thread is still being bumped, I thought of a serious tech related question about the Super NES I've had for years...

I went to school with some people who..well weren't very bright and they liked to say anything they could to get you to believe what they were saying, generally speaking. One of the things that used to be said at school all the time and of course I knew it wasn't was that if you put a Super NES cart into an NES, it would work. For one thing there's not enough pin connectors in the NES for that and the carts aren't the same shape at all.

But over the years I have thought of a tech question that I have always been curious about. Let's use Super Mario World in this case, since it was one of the first SNES/SFC games released and because it's development originally began as an NES game. Let's say you COULD get the Mario World game pak to fit in the NES perfectly, no problem, and turned it on..what would most likely happen due to the difference in tech..not start at all? Be a garbled mess? I have always wondered about that... At least in the case of that one game, how far apart are the NES and Super NES tech wise? I guess the better question is, were NES and Super NES games written in the same programming language? I hope this won't get me laughed out of the thread, I have been genuinely curious all these years how far apart tech wise the 2 systems are and what would happen if you could get that game to start up on the NES.

Speaking of Super Mario World, just a little bit about the beginning of it's development based on things I've read over the years.

-People ask why on the box for the Super Famicom version of the game, it says Super Msrio Bros. 4: Super Mario World, but in the US/EU it's just Super Mario World. Well, SMW's development began on the NES, and at first it was called Super Mario Bros. 4. So that part explains most likely why it has the full title overseas but not here.

-As development went on, the amount of ideas, concepts, and amount of levels they wanted to include grew beyond the scope of the NES's tech capabilities so the decision was made to move the project to the then just announced 16 bit Super Famicom. Along with the move to the 16 bit system that is when it received the sub title Super Mario World overseas. At this point it was undecided if the US and Europe would get the new system.

-Yoshi is a character they had wanted to add into the series since the US Super Mario 2 (Mario USA in Japan), but the technical limitations of the NES kept him from being included in the game, so they put him on the side burner. They tried again to include him in Super Mario 3 but alas same thing tech limitations prevented it. They were finally able to introduce him in SMW since the new 16 bit system could more than handle it.

Sega1991 said:
Sorry for a system I ended up enjoying quite a lot? :p

I ended up getting a Genesis eventually, by the time Sonic 3 came out.

I know you enjoyed it; I just feel for how that kid might've felt if his parents did, in fact, get him an SNES instead of the much-desired Genesis. It'd be like if my dad had bought me a Genesis instead of an SNES that one fabled Christmas in..1993? Man, I don't know what I would've done if that had happened. I would've been angry, disappointed, and sad all at once. Over time, though, I'm sure I would've enjoyed and made the best of it. I had friends with Genesis consoles so we could commiserate talk about and trade Genesis games.

Lionel Mandrake said:
Clean the game cartridge connection with alcohol.

I was lucky enough when I was a kid to have my grandmothers buy two systems. A Sega Genesis and a SNES. I never had a console in my house so I had to vist them to play it. For the SNES I had Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Top Gear, and Mario Kart. I was terrible at all of the games but I played them anyways.

Super Mario World: I probably beat more of this game than the other ones. Restarted it from Stage 1 every time I played.
Zelda: A Link to the Past: Looking back and laughing now I remember having to figure out which freaking button would start the game. I would also find out that out of all the times I had played it, I had only made it as far as getting out of the basement with Zelda...
Mario Kart: Mehhhh (I enjoyed 64 better)
Top Gear: The music in this game is so damn good. It still gives me goosebumps. This game was awesome until you had to start filling up your car with gas to finish a race and you would miss your only chance at the pit stop *face palm*

Moving back from college, I unburied my SNES (I eventually took it from my grandmother's house) and started playing it again. It is still awesome! I also only have like 4 more dungeons in the Dark World in Zelda :D

I remember when the SNES was released here in the US…and those huge full-page Toys R US ads in the paper tempting me so bad. I asked my Dad if I could buy one (I remember thinking I had enough money saved up to purchase it), but Dad didn't think it was a good idea to blow all of my savings on a game system. I was able to at least try out the demo kiosk at a local Babbages, so the first game I ever got to experience on the system was Super R-Type.

Flash forward a few months and it's Christmas. I never bothered to ask them to get me one as I assumed it was too expensive a gift. So the usual final gift comes around, and they pull out a long large box all wrapped up. I have no idea what it could be, and start opening it…when I notice that red logo. My eyes must have bugged out and mouth dropped to the floor…I tore off the rest of the paper, and there it was! Mario with that bright yellow cape and Yoshi jumping right off the package! My parent's didn't have the camera ready when I opened it and force me to "recreate" my expression I had made when I first opened it. Ah, that new system smell! The wait for my dad to unhook my Ninendo and set up the SNES was agonizing "c'mon Dad, I wanna play with power…Super Power!" First thing my parent's noticed about the system was "it has much nicer music!" They weren't kidding…for some reason it felt to me that those first few generations of SNES games had better music, especially Castlevania 4.

I lived off of Super Mario World and rentals (Super Castlevnia! Mode 7 lvls blew my mind) for quite a few months before I finally started getting games for it. 2nd game I ended up getting for it was Bart's Nightmare. I was a Simpson fanatic at the time and couldn't wait for it (although I was really pissed they weren't porting the arcade game). Man that game was a bitch, but I still loved it, and in hindsight it was a pretty creative use of the license compared to the insanely hard NES Simpsons games…how I had to patience to finish those I'll never know.

Lots of great memories with that system. Finally playing a proper Zelda sequel, 4 player shootout in NBA JAM, day long marathons playing 3 player co-op on Secret of Mana. Finally diving into a Final Fantasy title with FF6, smashing controllers in rage after getting my ass handed to me in Street Fighter Turbo. (I still have that controller, it was one of those 3rd party clear ones, it's covered in tape) Loving Mortal Kombat, blood be damned, it had actual colors and correct non garbled voices!

I have vivid memories of renting Star Fox for the first time, as before I could get home to play it, I had to go through my very first tooth extraction. My face was numb and bloated, the Novocain was wearing off, and I couldn't drink without a straw, but I didn't care, I was rocking the Super FX chip! Dem Polygons! I rented so many great games (and not so great games) for that system. Between me and my friends we amassed a huge collection of games.

Remember the last few years of SNES in the middle of high school. My friends were all running around their large house, chasing girls and getting stoned, while I sat in front of their shitty TV, completely unaware of the carnage and debauchery going on around me, absorbed in the awesomeness that was Chrono Trigger.

One of my friends had a genesis and I fell in love with Sonic, so eventually I bought one of those as well, but only ended up getting Sonic 1-3 and Ecco, as well as renting the awesome genesis versions of Castelvania and Contra. Even so, I'd always be a SNES fan boy at heart.

I still have my SNES hooked up to my TV, it's one of the good ones that hasn't faded at all, and Secret of Mana is still plugged into it, waiting for me if I ever feel the need.

teiresias

So I'm over at my dad's place this weekend and found my old launch SNES sitting in my younger brother's old bedroom doing nothing but sitting there collecting dust with a Mortal Kombat 2 cartridge stuck in it, so I moved into my old bedroom (where I still have a nice Toshiba CRT SDTV). I have my S-Video cable at my place (was using it with a Gamecube), so I'm making due with a regular composite cable. Nostalgia up the wazoo.

Here it is (please don't mind the dust in the neglected TV cabinet - I don't live here fulltime anymore after all):
K0Hjg.jpg

No discoloration, thankfully.

Here's all the games I could find in my closet:
RdEAk.jpg

ntsKm.jpg

L34B2.jpg

VqIwd.jpg

1ajvq.jpg

And the accessories:
1Qtvn.jpg

kQEcp.jpg

Sorry, couldn't be bothered to pull the Superscope out of the closet.

Unfortunately, none of the original controls survived my adolescent rages from way back in the day, so the only controller I have is a replacement called a "SUPERPAD" from InterAct that I bought many years ago to replace the last original controller to go belly-up. It definitely doesn't feel as nice as an original, but its serviceable.

I put Final Fantasy II into the machine and to my amazement the battery still hasn't died and my endgame save file in the Lunar Ruins from my very first play through of the game is still on the cartridge!!! I think I'm going to go through it tonight finding stuff in the Lunar Ruins I didn't realize was there when I played it originally!

Also, definitely putting Super Castlevania 4 in after getting nostalgic for it from reading the LTTP topic on it recently - amazing game!!!

I can't wait until I buy a place that has an extra room so I can bring this CRT back with me and make it into a retro gaming room. I really want to get a Genesis and SegaCD (never owned either), and maybe even a TurboDuo or something (though those games are probably better gotten by just moving the Wii over to the CRT and buying off of the Nintendo service - I'm just a sucker for having the actual hardware).

Fou-Lu

When I was younger my family had a Master System and a Genesis, our NES broke. One day there was a commercial for a sale on getting an SNES at Kmart. My dad went shopping that day and came back with a SNES, with some crappy games I don't even remember, however it wasn't long before we had Super Metroid, ALttP, Mega Man X, etc. thanks to garage sales. Plus my grandma would take my brother, my cousin and I to the local rental place Video Stop to rent some games every weekend.

Honestly, I don't think I finished that many games, but I didn't really care at the time.

We moved when I was 8 and lost the SNES in the move, but we still had the cables and controllers. Depressing.

Interestingly enough, four of my consoles were bought by my dad as a surprise. (SNES, N64, Dreamcast and PS2) None of those were at Christmas, while the ones that came on Christmas weren't a surprise.

Going to keep this thread alive.

The SNES was my second favorite console (after the Dreamcast).

Back in 1991 it is the only thing my brother and I wanted for Christmas (I was 5 at the time). We tried to win one through Nintendo Power by collecting the cards in the back of the magazine but never won.

As Christmas approached we attended at one of my Mom's friends parties and in front of the TV was the holy grail, the SNES.

In it was a copy of Home Alone, and I watched in awe at the colors and huge sprites. Yes, in hindsight that game is shit, but at the time I couldn't believe it.

When Christmas day came my parents played the whole, "Oh well, I guess that is everything," trick and we were sad because we didn't even get any NES games. Our family wasn't well off so I guess we just couldn't afford it.

Then my Mom came downstairs with one more box. It was the SNES pack with two controllers and SMW. We played the crap out of that until we went back to school after xmas break.

Currently it is the only system I own along with my NES (and a nice PC, XPS 9100, for the latest PC games). I have been rebuilding my collection, will post some pictures later this week.

Rehynn

CoachKevin said:
I have been rebuilding my collection, will post some pictures later this week.

I hear you with the collection re-building.... I sold my SNES and all games (except for Mario RPG, which I kept along with its box and booklet) when I decided to get more serious about music. I just needed the money.

Then quite a few years later I basically started getting older, and one of the things you do when you get older is you start buying back your childhood.... so I contacted the guy who I'd sold my SNES to and bought everything back. Luckily, he kept everything in good condition.

Dommel

It was my first import console but also my first experience with owning an imported console.

So I was annoyed that I couldn't buy games at my local store and that some stores had never even heard of a 'SNES'.

The following year (1991) we went to the US for our holiday and I was very sure I would be able to buy games there because it was the US and they always had the newest stuff. And everywhere I went I got the same story 'it will be released here in August'.

I was also shocked when I saw the redesigned US version, it hit every branch of the ugly tree while falling down.

Since that SNES I imported everything up until the PS2 which was the first console I bought in my own country.

ghibli99

My all-time favorite system. Nothing else comes close.

Bought one at Captron (remember those?), along with Super Ghouls'n Ghosts. Played the hell out of both that and SMW. Those were soon followed by games like ActRaiser, Super Adventure Island, Super Smash TV, Street Fighter II, Mystical Ninja, etc.

So many good memories. I'm playing Super Castlevania IV right now as well. While I find a lot of 8-bit era games almost unplayable nowadays, I can't ever see 16-bit titles going out of style or losing their fun for me. It really was an era where 2D games got incredibly refined w/o getting too easy.

I got the SMA bundle and played through pretty much all the classics (minus Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger etc. which were very scarce) and boatload of other games too. Sold the console to my friend so I could buy a Playstation and have regretted it ever since. Goddamn I was dumb.

Zing

Banned
I bought a brand new SNES about five months ago. I am now up to 22 games, currently playing Super Mario Kart the most.

DrMungo

Man, if someone could make an aftermarket attachment that connected these things online, (like attach to the bottom of the SNES were the CD was supposed to go), I would die of joy.

Linkhero1

I remember it as if it were yesterday. My dad picked me up from school and told me he had a surprise for me. I came home from kindergarten to find my brothers playing Donkey Kong Country on our brand new Super Nintendo. It's probably my favorite console ever. I will never let go of it and I am still collecting games for it to this day. I just don't have a lot of money to spend to get certain games, but my goal is to get all the ones I want. Here's my collection. Sorry for all the images. I'll edit them out if they're too much.

ZJq88.jpg

h2VTc.jpg

6beg9.jpg

W95H4.jpg

U93Re.jpg

Bn9MM.jpg

kBU0i.jpg

WHRDg.jpg

voG1q.jpg

Any recommendations on what games I should add to my collection?

It's funny how much of an attraction I feel to some of these games based purly on the box art. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

My brother had a Nintendo but the SNES was the first console that was really mine, and god did I spend a lot of time with it. I miss blowing on the bottom of carts trying to get them to start.

DrMungo said:
Man, if someone could make an aftermarket attachment that connected these things online, (like attach to the bottom of the SNES were the CD was supposed to go), I would die of joy.
Does X-band still exist? ;p

Top Bottom