• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

Linkhero1 said:
Any recommendations on what games I should add to my collection?

Rock N Roll Racing and ehm... The Chaos Engine.

Great collection though, seems like you got pretty much everything.

Linkhero1

Fallout-NL said:
Rock N Roll Racing and ehm... The Chaos Engine.

Great collection though, seems like you got pretty much everything.
Thanks for the recommendations. Will definitely check those two titles out.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Where's Mario Paint?!
I've been meaning to get this. I want to buy it complete in box. When I can afford it, it will join my collection.

Tain

_dementia said:
How does Shinji Mikami's Aladdin compare to the version I know and love on the Genesis?

I don't like how Shiny platformers feel. I'm not too familiar with either version, but I'm more interested in playing the Capcom game at the moment. Seemed solid.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
_dementia said:
How does Shinji Mikami's Aladdin compare to the version I know and love on the Genesis?

I prefer the Genesis game, personally. They're very different games. The SNES game is more of a traditional platformer in terms of movement speed and feel.

Zing

Banned
It's been a very long time since I played the SNES version, but the Genesis version of Aladdin was one of the three carts I owned for the system. You can tell I wasn't a Genesis fan. I got it mainly for the Sega CD, if you can believe that. Genesis Aladdin was great, though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bought the system day 1 at the NA launch. Fzero, Pilotwings, SMW, and I think Super R-type were my first games.(R-type may have been a bit post-launch)

Over the years my library ballooned to hundreds of games.

Last summer I sold the final remnants of whatever I had left of my SNES library on Ebay. It will be missed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tain said:
I don't like how Shiny platformers feel. I'm not too familiar with either version, but I'm more interested in playing the Capcom game at the moment. Seemed solid.

As mentioned, the Genesis Aladdin by Sega was far superior to Capcom's rendition on SNES. The Capcom game wasn't bad, but the Sega Aladdin is one of the best games of that era.

PooBone

I liked my SNES but didn't play it nearly as much as my NES or N64. The games I probably spent the most time with were Link to the Past and the three Star Wars games. Oh and Donkey Kong Country. Loved those games.

Didn't get into gaming 'till the 64 and Gameboy Colour days, so I missed out on the SNES when I was younger. Bought one about 2 years ago with Super Mario World, F-Zero and Super Mario RPG. Beat World and almost beat RPG. Only games I currently have for the system, wish I had more time and games to play on my SNES.

DangerStepp

Awesome thread. I was a Genesis kid, but eventually went back to play all of the classics.

This past weekend, my wife pulled out her old copy of Mario Paint and showed me all the cool stuff that little game is capable of. I could spend a long time tooling around with it.

The SNES was my third system, but the second that I actually wanted (I received an Atari and a bunch of games years prior, and a Gameboy the year before). This was about 16 years ago at Christmas.

I got the system with Super Mario Kart/Super Mario World & 2 controllers in the box along with Donkey Kong country. I had to play it on a black & white TV that I had been given by a neighbor.

But my first experiences with the system were when it came out because my friend bought it. I remember UN Squadron being hard as nails, I fell in love with Final Fight. Saw Actraiser but never really played it. Street Fighter II was amazing & sucked tons of hours away. Used a game genie to unlock the bosses to play and many broken modes, like one where repeatedly tapping an attack button would redo any super, so you could fly off screen with repeated dragon punches.

Some of my favorite titles ended up being adventure/ RPGs, despite being focused on action games on the NES. FF II, FF III, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire and Ogre Battle were all favorites of mine. Also loved Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Megaman X and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I remember looking for Ogre Battle everywhere, not finding it when I wanted it for Christmas one year and ended up trying to go buy Chrono Trigger. I didn't have the 10 bucks extra for Chrono (it was 74.99 :|) so I just went with Secret of Evermore, which I fell in love with (after beating the snot out of Secret of Mana). I ended up finding Ogre Battle at a video store, my friend bought it for 25 bucks & I Traded him my copy of Mario Kart and 10 bucks for it.

I took a LONG train ride to the only funcoland that I could find to trade in some games for FFIII, and they wanted to give me like 10 bucks for them. Broke my 13 year old heart.

Despite eventually getting Final Fantasy III (and never actually buying Chrono Trigger/Mario RPG and a few others) I was able to play them because of friends.

Another good memory comes from the time I pissed off a friend because I turned the difficulty in Turtles in Time to Hard at his birthday party so it could be challenging.

Got a bunch of snes stuff coming today and tomorrow. More stuff on that too not pictured...

edit: BTW, that 9 game auction at the top has:
Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Super Mario Kart
Castlevania IV
Contra III
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Metroid
Where in Time is Carmen San Diego?
F-Zero
Super Street Figher II

snesebay2.jpg

NYCrooner

The SNES is my favorite console of all-time (though the X360 is giving it a run for the money). I've purchased the SNES over five different time in my life. Twice during it's run and three times after for nostalgic reasons but always end up giving away to some little kid to try and nourish his mind with classic gaming.

My most memorable SNES gaming experiences were seeing Super Mario World for the first time and thinking for the first time that there really was a God. After that games like SFII, Super Metroid, ZAMN, NBA Jam, LttP, and other changed how I looked at gaming. No longer was it just something to do when I was bored. Now I wanted it to be part on my life. The SNES really was a game changer for me.

I remember going to the mall with my uncle as he was goign to get the super nes with the SMW+SF2 pack.
I was excited, then we arrived home and we played SMW and street fighter all summer.
Other summers and christmas (he was at my grandmothers house, so I could play only when I went on summers and christmas to visit them), I played with him and my cousin with the console, I remember playing with her street fighter 2 and we where so fucking bad playing the game :lol. Also playing with her 2 player SMW and getting the 96 worlds.
And then came Ilussion of Time (my first RPG, I love it) and F-Zero (I can remember clearly playing big blue when I was small, it felt awesome).

Also my uncle was a joker, so he was lend one day SSF2 (he only had the normal one), and in the capcom logo he pushed all the buttons in a manner to get a sound and he could play with all the characters and recolours in normal SF2! My mind was blown.
Now I remember how I always tried to do the capcom logo thing and never could pull it off. It was a lie. :lol
Then the console passed to me when he got a PSX. That happened with the NES when he got the Super also, so I always got the old console he had.
My first gifted console was a Game Boy Pocket, and my first bought with my own money a Game Boy Advance.

My SNES stuff finally came, have most of the main building blocks for my collection rebuilding process:

100_0487.jpg

Brand new copy of NHL 94 direct from Amazon.com. Can't believe there are still sealed copies.
100_0489.jpg

100_0490.jpg

100_0491.jpg

Now to play some SNES....

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
I remember my dad used to travel to the US almost every month when I was a kid, and he would always bring back one or two Snes games among some others souvenirs for my sister and mom. He kept that routine for almost 2 years, and I would always be like mad when he got home so I could see what did he brought back this time. It was pretty cool, he had quite an eye for games (especially when pretty much all the experience with games he ever had was duck hunt), stuff like Mario World, Mario Kart, Megaman X, ISS Deluxe and so on.

One time he got back home with two games, Alladin and another one that I think it's called Firepower2000 but I'm not sure, it's a shooter that you control either a helicopter that only shoots straight or a buggy that shoots on all directions but is vulnerable to stuff on the floor like buildings (not like touch-die, like get-stuck-in-the-scenery-while-it-goes-up-die) and holes. Alladin was pretty good, nothing spetacular but I did get all 60 red diamonds/gems/whatever, it even had a different ending. But Firepower2000 (or whatever the name was)... holy shit that game became THE multiplayer game for quite a while, there was always someone willing to play that game! I remember getting to the 5th or 6th area, where both veichles were discarded for two awesome jets, holy hell that game was awesome!

Oh, and power bomb on the glass tube. You know what the fuck am I talking about. I know you do.

Bentendo

I played a few of the games when it was out at my cousin's house. Super Mario World was the first game I remember playing (and to this day remains my favorite game). I played most SNES games via their GBA re-releases/remakes, bought a few Virtual Console games and eventually bought an SNES at a used game store.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ahhhthe 16-bit Nintendo. I remember drooling over the tiny little pic Nintendo Power released of SMB4, way back in the day.
Eventually I picked up the EGM issue that had a really nice preview of the Super Famicom, and release games, and at that point I realised I couldn't wait for this thing.
I packed up my Turbografx-16, five games I owned for it, and shipped them off to Die Hard Gamer's Club, to get a launch Super Famicom and a copy of SMB4. I believe I spent close to $500 for both, but it was oh so worth it at the time.
It was really cool being the only kid in school to have this thing, and I'd finished SMB4 completely by the time the US system even had a release date.
I would wind up importing Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Batman Returns, and Ultraman before the US release. My first US game wound up being Act Raiser, which required me to purchase a bridge adapter.
The SNES was definitely my system of choice back then, and outside of Shinobi, I pretty much ditched my Genesis. The SNES was simply a much greater joy to game on with it's larger color palette, and far better music chip (thinks Sony). I even chose the SNES MK over the Genny version, because it looked and sounded so much better.
It was such an awesome time to as I remember all of the "Super" versions of games like Contra, Castlevania, and Star Wars hitting. Smash TV was also pretty sweet, as were so many other great games like Axelay, TMNT, MK2, Super Ninja Warriors, Super Double Dragon, etc...
Good times!

Boogybro

Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World
Mario Kart
Killer Instinct
Donkey Kongs
Street Fighters
Street Racer
F-ZERO
Mortal Kombat
Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing
Tons of Licensed Games

FUCKING LOVED THE SNES!
BisonYes.jpg

teiresias

Would people say Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Evermore are worh picking up via eBay or Amazon? I own both Soul Blazer and Secret of Mana and liked them both.

Linkhero1

Building a list of games I still need to get. I just bought Sparkster.

I missed out on that Mario Paint auction was busy with school =/

Secret of Mana
Mario Paint
Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
Rock N Roll Racing

Add to my list for me and I'll check the games out ;)

Can we talk about Street Fighter Alpha 2 for a second?

Edited picture
sfa2snes2.jpg

I played it for the first time today and it is an odd game.

One it loads multiple times before a match, and the graphics are outstanding while the sound it pretty crappy. Anyone else play the SNES version of SFA2?

Conrad Link said:
Wonderful technical marvel for what it is, but I always wondered why they didn't just do it on N64 though lol.

Looks like it was wicked expensive to make. It made use of the S-DD1 chip, which:

is a powerful ASIC decompressor made by Nintendo for use in some Super Nintendo Entertainment System Game Paks.[2] Designed to handle data compressed by ABS Lossless Entropy Algorithm, a form of arithmetic coding developed by Ricoh, its use was necessary in games where massive amounts of sprite data had to be compressed with a 32-megabit data limit in mind. This data is decompressed on-the-fly by the S-DD1 and given directly to the picture processing unit.
-Wikipedia

Really enjoying it so far, plays close enough to the Arcade version, which I have played quite a bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
teiresias said:
Would people say Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Evermore are worh picking up via eBay or Amazon? I own both Soul Blazer and Secret of Mana and liked them both.

Both are worth it at their current prices. Evermore is a very interesting game to play through once. It's got tons of character, and is really different than a lot of other RPGs. It's funny. It's brisk. There are some pretty big mechanical issues, and it is NOT Secret of Mana 2, but worth a buy and a playthrough.

Illusion of Gaia is not brisk; it's actually a pretty slow game. But besides that, it's excellent. Great looking. Emotional (HAMLET). Really cool locales, since the game features sort of twisted versions of real-world landmarks.

Very fun :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My first experience with the SNES was watching my cousins play Mortal Kombat 2. My cousin was playing Secret of Mana another day and I thought it was one of the coolest games I had ever seen. I watched them play a lot of games, though: Super Mario World, F-Zero, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Super Castlevania IV, Street Fighter II, Ys III, and so on. It looked so awesome, and the graphics were so much better than the stuff on the NES I had back at home.

My first hands-on experience with it was with my cousins' SNES. One of the first games my cousins had me play on my own on the NES was Battletoads, so they thought making me play Battletoads in Battlemaniacs would be hilarious. I don't remember much of it. I do remember whining that it was too hard and dying a lot. They had me play Super Mario World to make up for it since I was pretty much ready to cry after dying so much. :lol

It was the first system I got that wasn't a hand-me-down from my cousins (I got an NES, Genesis, SMS and games from them). My parents bought me the Yoshi's Island bundle, and I also got Super Mario Kart, Mario's Time Machine, Turtles in Time, and Super Mario All-Stars (these were used yet boxed). My cousins were preparing to get a PS1 later in the year, so they gave me some of the games they didn't want anymore (DKC, Super Mario World, a Game Genie, F-Zero, ActRaiser, Secret of Evermore, etc).

Like with the Genesis, I rented and borrowed games more than bought. I experienced much of the library because of this. If I liked a game a lot, my parents would take me to a used shop or flea market if I saved up enough allowance to buy one as long as they were cheap. So a lot of my SNES games are boxless and used rather than new.

It wasn't until high school that I learned about the Super Game Genie + Super Famicom thing. I had one of my friends do it for me, and then he lent me FFV SFC and learned about how amazing the Super Famicom was.

It's probably my favourite system ever next to the PS2. It's the only retro system I keep hooked up on a constant basis (and I switch it out for the Genesis, NES, N64, PS1, etc if I need to) because I love to revisit the awesome library. Even now, if I see a game I had wanted long ago for a low price, I purchase it as long as I have the cash.

A few examples of some of my favourites. :D

qRz07.jpg

Linkhero1 said:
Any recommendations on what games I should add to my collection?

Axelay.

(Un Squadron, R-type, Robocop vs. Terminator, Lost Vikings, Super Castlevania -IV- , Contra 3, bomberman, Super Ghouls & Ghosts... and so on. There is plenty to collect for the SNES)

Oh, and Bubsy, of course. Can't be from the nineties without a cool cat, now can ya? :p

Zing

Banned
I just finished Chrono Trigger for the first time tonight. Now I can move on to something else I have yet to play.

Secret of Mana was supposed to be next, but I can't resist.

wondermega

NES changed my life - I enjoyed games a lot before that (like any kid in the mid-80s) but NES got me unbelievably obsessed. I was never a Sega guy (no one was?) but for some reason the Genesis really spoke to me at launch (my crack-cocaine addiction to EGM might have had something to do with that). I took to the new console immediately, but honestly those first couple of years I really enjoyed the two systems, 8-bit and 16-bit, neck and neck.

Of course SNES had been announced and teased here and there for ages, and the screen shots did look a bit more colorful and detailed than the Genesis, but not disarmingly so (especially for those launch titles). Still, I wanted it badly, and the hype was palpable. After two years of extremely satisfying 16-bit gaming under my belt, the SNES released and I grabbed it immediately. Mario World and F-Zero were all I would stare at for a little while.

I enjoyed them! Mario World felt fresh, it looked great, it sounded awesome, and they really seemed to make a huge game even bigger. BUT - I blew through that game easier than any Mario game prior, and a lot of the gimmicks felt just like that. The cape felt like a step backwards from the amazing suits of the previous games, and Yoshi was.. kinda cute, but didn't really feel very necessary/powerful. I didn't like what he brought to the aesthetic of the game, and he didn't really "feel" very cool (again, especially compared to what the different suits brought to Mario 3). Yeah, you could inflate like a bubble, run sideways up platforms, climb on fences, but it just felt like they shoved a bunch of ideas in there without much regard for building things as strategically (and rewardingly) as they had in the past. It was hard to "die," and beating the game left me with little desire to play through again (a cardinal sin back in those days).

F-Zero really impressed me. The screenshots always looked funky (pixelated graphics, very small ships) and the name just sounded like Japanese for "we haven't got a good idea for a name," but Pilotwings really didn't appeal to me and I was not interested at all in SimCity (the only other titles available at launch). Anyway, plugging the game in I was immediately a convert, never had a racing game moved so fast, so smoothly, and so colorfully on my TV at home before. I was previously a die-hard fan of Super Monaco GP on Genesis, well this put the kibosh on that. Again, the game proved a bit easy once you got the hang of it and so the replay value wasn't quite as packed as other racing games released at the time, but it was forgivable because the psuedo-3D gimmick, the sense of speed, and the overall presentation was tight as could be. Still, it was "just a racing game" and you could only enjoy that for so long before it got boring..

Over the next several months, more software dribbled out and I scooped it up. Actraiser (beautiful, interesting, easy) Super Ghouls n Ghosts (same thing) and Super Castlevania IV (same thing X3). Finally after what seemed like forever, Zelda 3 released and that was a lot of fun - but the years were starting to wear on me. Sega Genesis had really hit its prime just as SNES was building up speed, and while they experienced a similar post-launch drought, that system felt like it was getting all kinds of great games, while SNES just had a slow and steady trickle of good stuff matched with a lot of "the same old business" in it's early years. SNES looked and sounded better, which was a big deal, but somehow Genesis just felt more fun, and a bit more old-school in their gameplay (games were actually challenging).

At the time, I think I was more hyped to have a SNES, but in hindsight I really did enjoy the more diverse/"mature" catalog of games on the Genesis. I wouldn't admit it then, but as I look back now I realize which system I enjoyed more. The SNES did really hit it's stride just as the Genesis started to become pretty lame, but at that point I was in college and therefore more concerned with partying and talking to chicks than playing videogames so much, anymore :p

Gilgamesh

From like ages 7 to 11 I breathed Mega Man X and Chrono Trigger flowed through my veins. I've played through those games so many times that I know them better than the back of my hand. I could probably recite CT's script verbatim.

Celine

CoachKevin said:
I never beat FF III or Chrono Trigger, those still worth picking up for a fringe RPG fan?
Probably I would suggest SM RPG for a fringe RPG fan but Chrono is also one of the most likable RPG ever IMO.
A wonderful mix between FF and DQ with its own twist.

Celine said:
Probably I would suggest SM RPG for a fringe RPG fan but Chrono is also one of the most likable RPG ever IMO.
A wonderful mix between FF and DQ with its own twist.
I did rent FFIII and Chrono Trigger when they came out (I was like 9 or 10) and liked them but I was also playing almost complete saves.

Will see if I can track down Mario RPG cheap.

Celine

CoachKevin said:
I did rent FFIII and Chrono Trigger when they came out (I was like 9 or 10) and liked them but I was also playing almost complete saves.

Will see if I can track down Mario RPG cheap.
Mind you between the 3, FF6 and CT are better than SMRPG but the latter was developed with non-rpg players in mind ( so I interpreted your "fringe" comment ).

Celine said:
Mind you between the 3, FF6 and CT are better than SMRPG but the latter was developed with non-rpg players in mind ( so I interpreted your "fringe" comment ).
Got it, I had a bunch of AMazon credit so I just ordered CT and SMRPG from their used store. $70 total, worst case I can always return them.

Tadale

I got the SNES pack with Mario World and Mario All Stars packed in on two separate carts for Christmas – it's really one of my best Christmas memories.

Over the weekend, I found a nearly perfect condition SNES (no yellowing!) at a game store for $35, so I picked it up along with Star Fox, which I only ever rented, never owned. Will be working on expanding my collection. Unfortunately, I lost or sold most of my good stuff, so I think I'll be working on rebuilding my collection.

Anteater

Probably the best generation for me, there were a good amount of both multiplayer and single player games on the system, it has some great games from every genre, and it's the last generation I played any games with my friends locally, my favorite was super mario kart.

After that I went with the psx because of exclusivity of a few rpgs I wanted to play, and since my rental service sucked in my area, the amount of games I get to play has gone down a lot, since I didn't have money for n64, I didn't get to play multiplayer games such as mario kart, etc and that was the beginning of my loner gaming life :lol

bender

What time is it?
I moved to Korea in '92 and all my new classmates started calling me "Guile" because of my hair. I had no clue what they were talking about until a late night gaming sessions on one of their houses who had a SNES and SFII. I was hooked immediately and luckily it didn't take much convincing for my parents to buy me the system and the game. I remember trying to beat the game with all perfects as I'd heard the ending splash image background would change colors if you could. I remember getting into a fight with a friend, who easily outclassed me, because of "cheap moves". Too be young and dumb again, haha.

Outside of Super Mario World, Street Fighter 2 and A Link to the Past (I still remember being floored by seeing rain in a game), I didn't really play a lot of my favorite games on the system until much later in life. My favorite are Earthbound, Chronotrigger, and Final Fantasy 2/3, (boring, I know).

The SNES is easily my favorite console ever. Sorry Neo-Geo. :p

Zing

Banned
_dementia said:
Yeah, FF3 at least. I never played CT.

I'd have to say the opposite. Chrono Trigger has great pacing, an easy to understand story and script, and characters that grow with you. Final Fantasy III has the ever-changing party, random encounters, and is a lot longer.

I agree that Super Mario RPG is probably the best "my first RPG", but Chrono Trigger isn't far behind.

Top Bottom