• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Psxphile

Hmm...actually I don't know. I never tested it on a computer. I'll try that and see what happens.

Okay I tried it and I get a glimpse of yellow text saying "bad checksum" and it goes to the black screen. It's an SMC file if that does anything.

I just checked and I got a "bad checksum". Can I fix that?

SMC files usually have headers. The patch calls for a non-headered rom. There's utilities that will strip a header away.

It's a "bad checksum" because it's a patched rom, patches tend to do that to good checksums. Though I don't think it's a problem for Canoe, they should run anyway.

Phaenos

Did some more messing around this morning making some new backgrounds that I thought I'd share. None of the artwork is mine and all credit goes to the original artists. Click on the titles below to get to the galleries that have all of the required images.

Final Fantasy IV:
w5E7Kha.png

Final Fantasy V:

Breath of Fire:

BigDes

This is odd,

Front Mission and Front Mission - Gun Hazard keep overwriting each other in Hakchi so I can have one but not the other on the machine

Not too much of an issue for me as I only wanted Front Mission itself but still a weird thing

SOLDIER

I forget, did people manage to get Terranigma working? If so, is it through Canoe or Retroarch?

Also, I know Lufia II is a prequel, but is there any reason to play the first one first?

pitt_norton

In anticipation of that I've done a quick custom box art for Super Punch-Out!! (which never had a proper Japanese retail release, only flash cart)

pKbCKMf.png

Nice! What font did you use for the "SHVC-4Q"?

If you notice Pilotwings having audio issues (such as the plane engine not coming on after resuming from pause), this is because hakchi uses the Mario Kart preset ID when loading it. What you want to do is press Ctrl + Alt + E on Pilotwings in hakchi and change the preset ID to BA10. Voila, no more audio issues. (It was bugging me, had to solve it)

Awesome! I just did that, thank you!

Thanks so much for this! I have some more requests if you have time but I'm not going to push it. Reply if you're interested :)

Throw the names out there. I can't promise that I myself will do them, but if I have a spare moment I will try to tackle it or someone else may try for you as well!

Nice! What font did you use for the "SHVC-4Q"?

SHVC I copied from another game and then coloured round the text. 4Q I thought about getting from other releases, but the ones I found that used those letters were too low-res, and the SFC font costs £15 or something online, so I ended up just using Calibri and editing it in paint.net to make it look closer to the other text.

pitt_norton

SHVC I copied from another game and then coloured round the text. 4Q I thought about getting from other releases, but the ones I found that used those letters were too low-res, and the SFC font costs £15 or something online, so I ended up just using Calibri and editing it in paint.net to make it look closer to the other text.

Ahh fair enough!

By the way, if you use lowercase and uppercase, you can get the same SFC font look. I used this for the "Licensed by Nintendo" text on the Jellyboy 2 custom boxart!

Yeah, some letters are still problematic though. Like the S, it's not really close in either upper or lower (and neither is the snasm font for that matter).

Unless I happen to find the exact font, or a high res SFC scan that uses 4 & Q in the nintendo style, I'm happy with "close-enough", as it looks fine when it's resized by the SNES Mini.

SMC files usually have headers. The patch calls for a non-headered rom. There's utilities that will strip a header away.

It's a "bad checksum" because it's a patched rom, patches tend to do that to good checksums. Though I don't think it's a problem for Canoe, they should run anyway.
Yeah that makes sense. I still don't know the difference between unheadered and headered but I was able to get the mod working! Just had to do some tinkering!
Did some more messing around this morning making some new backgrounds that I thought I'd share. None of the artwork is mine and all credit goes to the original artists. Click on the titles below to get to the galleries that have all of the required images.

Final Fantasy IV:

Final Fantasy V:

Breath of Fire:
Is it possible to have the border only apply to an individual game? Or will automatically apply to all games in the Classic?

ReyVGM

Okay I tried it again and it works on a PC emulator now! I'll try it on the Classic soon.

I tried installing Retroarch before and it said that I needed to install the driver, which I'm sure I did the first time I connected the SNES Classic, and after I hit okay there has been no progress that I can see. It just says 'installing'.

Hacked mine for the first time yesterday and I got stumped there too. The first time you use hakchi, it asks to dump the original kernel and you have to do the whole holding reset while powering on deal. It should install the driver there (which you said it already did). Now, when you drop retroarch on hakchi as the instructions say, the same message pops up again. Since I thought that "holding reset while powering on" process was only done the first time, I kept cancelling that message and retroarch wouldn't get added. I then clicked on the install driver link (just as you did), and the black window that pops up lingered there forever.

What you have to do is just follow the same instructions. Power off the SNES if it's on, hold reset and power it on again. It should start a process and retroarch will be added and the install driver stuff will go away. I spent like an hour going back and forth with the kernels bringing the SNES to factory settings because I thought I was doing an incorrect step somewhere.

dock

If you notice Pilotwings having audio issues (such as the plane engine not coming on after resuming from pause), this is because hakchi uses the Mario Kart preset ID when loading it. What you want to do is press Ctrl + Alt + E on Pilotwings in hakchi and change the preset ID to BA10. Voila, no more audio issues. (It was bugging me, had to solve it)

Thank you! I was about to add Pilotwings.
Just wanted to say, the work you’ve put into supporting folk here is amazing. Thanks so much!

ParityBit

What do the number values that the files dropped in /etc/preinit.d mean?

I am trying to understand both the background one and the ones used for updating the menu background and UI.

SOLDIER

For some reason, now whenever I start Treasure of the Rudras (using the Retroarch command), I get a white screen with audio. I didn't do anything different, but this now persists.

Starting to think Retroarch is more trouble than its worth, between the (small) input lag, Secret of Mana not working, and now this.

Dimentios

I tried retroarch with Mario Allstars (even tho it works perfectly fine without it) and holy shit.
That input lag is real. Unplayable (at least jump n runs).

Blues1990

Is there a list of compatable/non-compatable games that can work with the SNES Mini? Just need to know so that I won't waste time loading some of my favourites on to the console.

SOLDIER

PSA there is significant lag when using the 8bitdo SNES30 controller with the retro receiver on the classic.

Are you sure? I've been using it exclusively and haven't noticed any real difference.

Also, for Terranigma, do you still have to use Retroarch to get it working or was a fix made for Canoe?

Cloud7

Throw the names out there. I can't promise that I myself will do them, but if I have a spare moment I will try to tackle it or someone else may try for you as well!

Thanks again!

Here is the list:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: Away to the Newtype
Mobile Suit Gundam F91: Formula Wars 0122
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Non-Gundam games:

Dragon Ball Z: Legend of the Super Saiyan
Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen
Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Kakusei-Hen
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
Romancing SaGa
Romancing SaGa 2
Romancing SaGa 3

Get to them when you can and feel like it. No pressure. :)

Is there a list of compatable/non-compatable games that can work with the SNES Mini? Just need to know so that I won't waste time loading some of my favourites on to the console.
It's in the OP.

What are the rough numbers for allotted games on this? I know about the 63 game limit per page but what's more or less the max it can handle being loaded on to it?

Are you sure? I've been using it exclusively and haven't noticed any real difference.

Also, for Terranigma, do you still have to use Retroarch to get it working or was a fix made for Canoe?

No fix for canoe, and don't expect one. Of the people I tried to get in contact with, most of them gave me the same reply. That is, without any way to see what Canoe is actually doing or where the games are crashing there isn't much that can be done (and my own efforts are coming up with nothing).

About the best I could do is release a patch for anyone that wants to play it in canoe without sound, but I don't think anyone wants that so.... fraid we're out of luck in that regard.

SOLDIER

No fix for canoe, and don't expect one. Of the people I tried to get in contact with, most of them gave me the same reply. That is, without any way to see what Canoe is actually doing or where the games are crashing there isn't much that can be done (and my own efforts are coming up with nothing).

About the best I could do is release a patch for anyone that wants to play it in canoe without sound, but I don't think anyone wants that so.... fraid we're out of luck in that regard.

That's a shame.

It's not like using Retroarch is the end of the world for me (wish the lag could be improved, even if it is a minimal amount), but I've had little help in getting it to work properly.

Of the games I've tried to boot up through Retroarch, each has had a specific issue:

1. Treasure of the Rudras had sound issues, until I replaced the 2010 core with the 2005 core from KMFD. It was working fine until now, where I get a white screen when booting up the game normally or through a save state.

2. Secret of Mana has choppy audio with the 2010 core, doesn't boot up at all with the 2005 core.

3. Terranigma didn't boot at all either, but I haven't extensively checked that one.

Am I supposed to have just one core installed for all the games that boot through Retroarch?

SOLDIER

That's a shame.

It's not like using Retroarch is the end of the world for me (wish the lag could be improved, even if it is a minimal amount), but I've had little help in getting it to work properly.

Of the games I've tried to boot up through Retroarch, each has had a specific issue:

1. Treasure of the Rudras had sound issues, until I replaced the 2010 core with the 2005 core from KMFD. It was working fine until now, where I get a white screen when booting up the game normally or through a save state.

2. Secret of Mana has choppy audio with the 2010 core, doesn't boot up at all with the 2005 core.

3. Terranigma didn't boot at all either, but I haven't extensively checked that one.

Am I supposed to have just one core installed for all the games that boot through Retroarch?

ReyVGM

That's a shame.

1) Probably there's a config file or sram save causing the issue. Try looking wherever the emulator saves per-game configurations and use hakchi's save manager to delete any sram save. If it was working before on both cores, then it should work again. I haven't tried this myself, but I've had this happen before on other emulators when using different versions of the same emu.

3) Terranigma worked fine for me with Retroarch. I mean, it boots and I moved around just fine on the town. Don't know if the game breaks at the world map or battles though. I didn't even manually used the NTSC patch, but hakchi did give me a message saying that this game had issues and if I wanted to patch it to work with retroarch. I said yes, and the game worked just fine for me.

SOLDIER

1) Probably there's a config file or sram save causing the issue. Try looking wherever the emulator saves per-game configurations and use hakchi's save manager to delete any sram save. If it was working before on both cores, then it should work again. I haven't tried this myself, but I've had this happen before on other emulators when using different versions of the same emu.

3) Terranigma worked fine for me with Retroarch. I mean, it boots and I moved around just fine on the town. Don't know if the game breaks at the world map or battles though. I didn't even manually used the NTSC patch, but hakchi did give me a message saying that this game had issues and if I wanted to patch it to work with retroarch. I said yes, and the game worked just fine for me.

Any idea where the sram saves are located?

Also, am I supposed to have just one snes core installed with Retroarch, or just have multiple installed?

Oh and since Hackchi just got an update, can I get a reminder on how to update a previous version? Just need to replace the files with the latest version and flash custom kernal?

ReyVGM

Any idea where the sram saves are located?

Have no idea. But hakchi has a save manager, maybe you can see or delete it from there?

Also, am I supposed to have just one snes core installed with Retroarch, or just have multiple installed?

I think you can only have one? I've never used retroarch before, so I don't know if there's a way to set a game to load with a specific core. Check the retroarch site's faq or ask on their forums about it.

Oh and since Hackchi just got an update, can I get a reminder on how to update a previous version? Just need to replace the files with the latest version and flash custom kernal?

Unzip the file, and drop the new hakchi folder on top of the old one and overwrite everything. It won't overwrite game config or box arts or anything like that.

Can the home menu be accessed with a button combo (Select + Down) like it was with the NES? It's not mentioned in the OP and I tried to search the thread but the words "reset" or "home menu" are too common to easily find relevant results.

If yes, do I need to manually enable it in Hakchi or is it on by default?

ReyVGM

Can the home menu be accessed with a button combo (Select + Down) like it was with the NES? It's not mentioned in the OP and I tried to search the thread but the words "reset" or "home menu" are too common to easily find relevant results.

If yes, do I need to manually enable it in Hakchi or is it on by default?

Default.

SOLDIER

For the life of me, I'm still struggling with how to correctly apply patches due to this whole header nonsense.

I've been using a program called NSRT Frontend, which scans the ROM and can has two header-applying options: add header or add NSRT header.

Which option should I be using? Do I apply both kinds of headers? I've tried various combinations and then use LIPS to apply the patch, but it doesn't seem to work.

Still getting white screens with Retroarch for both Rudras and Terranigma.

Edit: Do the ROM and patch still need to share the same name before patching them with LIPS?

ReyVGM

For the life of me, I'm still struggling with how to correctly apply patches due to this whole header nonsense.

I've been using a program called NSRT Frontend, which scans the ROM and can has two header-applying options: add header or add NSRT header.

Which option should I be using? Do I apply both kinds of headers? I've tried various combinations and then use LIPS to apply the patch, but it doesn't seem to work.

Still getting white screens with Retroarch for both Rudras and Terranigma.

I don't know about Rudra, but if you add a clean Terranigma and add the --retroarch to the command line on hakchi the game should work just fine. It does for me.

Oh, I guess you need to hold the buttons down for a second or two for it to work... cause when I tried it last time I was playing with a friend I just pressed Select + Down a few times and it didn't work, and I thought I had to activate it in Hakchi or something.

ReyVGM

I figured how save per-game configurations in Retroarch.

Take the game you want to change something in that game only. In my case, it's the volume (some games are way too load and hakchi's volume method doesn't work with games that load with Retroarch). Press Start + Select (while playing) to open Retroarch's menu. Once you configure everything to your liking in that game, go to the root directory and go to Quick Menu -> Save Game Overrides.

It won't give you any message, but it will save the configuration you just made to that game only. If you pick "Save Core Overrides", it will overwrite the configuration of all the other games with the new one you just made. So if you want to make any global changes (to all games using that core), pick "Save Core Overrides". If you want to change and save a specific configuration to a single game, then pick "Save Game Overrrides".

ReyVGM

Oh, I guess you need to hold the buttons down for a second or two for it to work... cause when I tried it last time I was playing with a friend I just pressed Select + Down a few times and it didn't work, and I thought I had to activate it in Hakchi or something.

Yes, hold it for almost a second and it will work.

Linkhero1

Hey all,

With the recent events that have transpired and the GAF meltdown, I thought this would be a great opportunity for everyone to connect with each other on Twitter. I don't post often, but I really enjoy what this group brings to the table in terms of modding and creating new assets. I'd like to stay in touch with all of you.

Feel free to follow me: https://twitter.com/_Linkhero1

ReyVGM

Hopefully this picture will make things clearer:

https://i.imgur.com/338S7X6.jpg

So from a clean Retroarch install, what do I need to have checked prior to install?

I might have a solution to your multiple core issue. You said you would like certain games to load with certain cores, right?

1) Ok, drop Retroarch (RA) in Hakchi (HC) and add all the cores you want or need. If you already did that, then fine.

2) Make sure that you add --retroarch in the commandline of the game you want to load with RA, otherwise it will load with the SNESC's regular emulator. If you already did that, then fine.

3) Turn on the SNESC, load the game in question, press Select +Start to enter RA's menu. In the root of the menu, go to "Load Core" and select the core you want to use for this game. Then go back to the root of the menu, go to "Quick Menu" and press on the "Save Game Overrides". You won't get a confirmation or anything, but that should save all modified options for that game only.

Now, to test if it worked.

Press Down + Select to exit the game, then load the game again. Press Select + Start to enter RA's menu and check if the core you selected is still selected. If it is, great. Exit the game back to the SNESC's menu, and load a different game that is also supposed to load with RA and that you want to load with a different core. Press Select + Start to enter RA's menu and check what core that game is using. If it's using a core you don't want, then change it to the one you want, then go back to Quick Menu and hit Save Game Override. Exit the game back to the SNESC menu.

Now, open the first game you modified and check what core it's using. If it's still using the same core you selected the first time, then great, the process worked. If it the core changed to the core of the second game you modified, then I guess you can't set cores to a per-game basis as you can with other options.

I have a couple questions/requests:

2. Can someone create a US SNES Box Art custom cover for the SD Battle Dodgeball game?

A bit late but I'll post mine anyway

Wow the source material for this game is weak and low res, so here is the best I could do (it will look good on the snes mini though ;)

I find the Launchbox games database has some good art and logos on it. Just google the game name with launchbox and you can use it, as the website itself wont let you save / copy the images ;)

jholmes

It'd be great if this thread were backed up somewhere for when we're all banned, and also so we don't have to come here anymore.

Top Bottom