• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

valippo

Neo Member
I successfully added 20 games to my mini. I used the "Pages" option but it doesn't look any different than the "Folders" option.

Could you please explain the difference?

Also, I have read that 63 is the maximum number of games in folders. Does it mean that I can still create 4 save states for each game? 252 save states total with no C8 error?

pitt_norton

Glad to see survivors starting to pop up. I'll continue to check in for anyone that needs help. Sadly I think the illusion of Gaia patch is all I could manage. I'll give robotrek another try in the coming days, but it's looking unlikely as with Terranigma.

Do your very best for Robotrek! I got my fingers crossed for you! I got a kickass boxart in the making for it! It needs a home ;)

I find the Launchbox games database has some good art and logos on it. Just google the game name with launchbox and you can use it, as the website itself wont let you save / copy the images ;)

Wow! Thanks! How could I miss that site?! I will definitely look into that avenue... might even redo some of my boxarts in that case!

Expect pitt_norton to post a few more box arts.

Oh shucks! People actually like them? Well speaking of which, here is another I put together of...

Final Fight Guy.

Here is the release as seen originally in the USA... WTF?! (and the Super Famicom cover was pretty much the same)

brurOQS.jpg

And here is my new take for this title... Use if desired!

r7yDwLr.png

I was worried I might not see this thread again lol.

I have an snes but been so busy I haven't got around to doing this yet. Ive read through some of the thread but still not sure, how many games can this thing hold? Is it like 60 per page or 60 period?

ParityBit

I am not sure why, but I am obsessed with updating the main UI. The problem is some little things are really frustrating me!

I have folders on my root menu, but the fact I can push down on the D-pad and get save options is annoying. I was as looking through a bunch of stuff on the box last night to see if I could find a way to disable that.

Yay. This thread is back. Was worried I lost all this wonderful data.

Btw, does anyone have snes box art for live a live and mystic ark?

In the style of the games included if possible.

Please and thank you.

Robin64

Running Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2 in Canoe with hi-res working.

Audio is a little wonky on hi-res screens, but nothing terrible, and I'm going to see is the low latency stuff helps.

Edit: Yep, that fixed it, near as I can tell. Might be more problems later, but in the meantime.. to run Secret of Mana 2 on the SNES Mini:

Set Preset ID to 1610 and add the command -no-lowlatency.

Audio is a little wonky on hi-res screens, but nothing terrible, and I'm going to see is the low latency stuff helps.

Edit: Yep, that fixed it, near as I can tell. Might be more problems later, but in the meantime.. to run Secret of Mana 2 on the SNES Mini:

Very awesome, glad to see we're still getting places! I imagine all or nearly all audio problems can be fixed by using the no lowlatency honestly. Seems the poor SNES classic is getting that single core pushed a little too hard in certain games.

Mac guy here, borrowing my roomies gaming rig to *hopefully* upload a couple more snes games to my mini that I feel I MUST have. (zombies ate my neighbors)

Is there a step by step guide (explain to me like I'm 5...) guide to this??? Really wanting a handwork through this :/

Robin64

Mac guy here, borrowing my roomies gaming rig to *hopefully* upload a couple more snes games to my mini that I feel I MUST have. (zombies ate my neighbors)

Is there a step by step guide (explain to me like I'm 5...) guide to this??? Really wanting a handwork through this :/

Honestly, the OP is as detailed as you have to get. The process is very very simple, you can't really mess it up.

Phaenos

Is it possible to have the border only apply to an individual game? Or will automatically apply to all games in the Classic?

Yes, you can set custom borders on a per-game basis. There are instructions on how to do that in the OP. So when I switch from FFIV to FFV, the borders update automatically.

Blue Griffin

Neo Member
I have added a number of games and most display fine, within the 4:3 border. However some games (e.g. DKC2) overlaps the 4:3 boarder. Anyone had this before? Wondered if a pal/ntsc game may be the cause. Or the filters ?

chunk3rvd

I'm trying to setup a dual boot SNES/NES scenario. In the Reddit tutorial thread Reddit tutorial thread it says:

- Make a blank file and drop it onto hakchi to make a new "game"
- Change the command line for the game to /bin/hsqs /var/lib/hakchi/dp-nes.hsqs

What does it mean by "make a blank file"? Feel like I'm missing something stupid but I've been scratching my head for ages!

Robin64

What does it mean by "make a blank file"? Feel like I'm missing something stupid but I've been scratching my head for ages!

I haven't done, but I assume just right click and make a new .txt file, which you then leave empty, and remove the .txt extension.

pitt_norton

Fantastic, thank you! This was my first command add ever and I got a C7 error... then I thought hey I should add a space between the last command and voila! Well... I won't be the one to get Star Ocean working haha

jombag

I'm trying to setup a dual boot SNES/NES scenario. In the Reddit tutorial thread Reddit tutorial thread it says:

- Make a blank file and drop it onto hakchi to make a new "game"
- Change the command line for the game to /bin/hsqs /var/lib/hakchi/dp-nes.hsqs

Fear not, theres a video tutorial

https://youtu.be/K1vJTiF9QP4

chunk3rvd

I haven't done, but I assume just right click and make a new .txt file, which you then leave empty, and remove the .txt extension.

That did it. Thanks! Knew I was just overlooking something simple. Pretty cool mod. I have 170+ SNES games on there now and an icon to switch to NES Classic with 200 games on there. There's another icon in the NES Classic menu to switch back to SNES mode.

Fear not, theres a video tutorial

https://youtu.be/K1vJTiF9QP4

The method I used seems more advanced than this mod (and takes up less space). It allows me to do full Hakchi syncs in both SNES and NES modes so I can load separate lists of custom games onto each of them.

Only have 2 issues right now - it disables the Down+Select soft reboot and the shortcut name mixes in with all your other custom roms. I'm getting round that for now by naming the shortcut "1 - NES Classic Edition" so it appears at the start of my custom list at least. Anyone know a way to force a single game onto the main menu with the original games? Anything I can do by FTP to change this?

For someone who already added the game to their SNES Mini, do you think its playable despite the font blurriness at the beginning, or does the problem persist often throughout the entire game?

alichino

I have a EU SNES Mini, and Star Ocean is running on Canoe just fine for me. I didn't add anything to the command line, and I'm using the English patched, compressed ROM. Here's a screenshot of my hakchi2:

DvWOa25.jpg

Tested the game, full audio w/ voice acting works just fine and haven't run into any glitches so far.

Robin64

I have a EU SNES Mini, and Star Ocean is running on Canoe just fine for me. I didn't add anything to the command line, and I'm using the English patched, compressed ROM. Here's a screenshot of my hakchi2:

Tested the game, full audio w/ voice acting works just fine and haven't run into any glitches so far.

hakchi will have automatically added -retroarch to the command line for you when you added it.

Type_Raver

Hi all, has anyone tried finding PAL boxarts for their games? I was thinking of replacing the NTSC boxarts with PAL versions (since I'm in AUS).

I found a couple of them but its hard to find consistently good quality images. Anyone else have a source?

Sinfamy

If the SNES and NES Classics both run the same hardware, is there a way to play both NES and SNES games on just one machine?

dyreschlock

Thread still happenin' :)

Does anyone have experience getting MSX games running on their Mini, or just MSX emulation in general? I installed fmsx and the bios and I'm able to get Metal Gear and Vampire Killer running just fine. I think those are easy to do because they're cartridge based games.

I want to get Snatcher and SD Snatcher running, though, which are disk based games. I made an archive with all the DSK files, and added that to hakchi. But when selecting the game in the Mini, it just boots the bios and doesn't know what to load.

Has anyone gotten DSK msx games running on their Mini? Most of the instructions and youtube videos I've seen are just running cartridge games.

alichino

I just tested this, and everything looks fantastic but there's something up with the colors/saturation. When running properly, the colors should look like this for the character select screen:

Top Bottom