• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

Has anybody seen a teardown of this yet? I'm expecting to be either identical to the NES Classic Mini or perhaps a slightly modified version.

Do we know if this is still outputting a 720p image?

Yoss

Neo Member
For the people who've had their order ship from Best Buy, are you in the US? I haven't heard anything from BestBuy.ca yet.

Has anybody seen a teardown of this yet? I'm expecting to be either identical to the NES Classic Mini or perhaps a slightly modified version.

Do we know if this is still outputting a 720p image?

720p is confirmed, and there are reports saying it's the same hardware and NES classic

klier

• You will need to include your own AC adapter to power it. Except US version.
  • The US SNES Mini Classic version is the inferior version.

Something is clearly wrong here.

I am in Europe and what the actual fuck? How am I supposed to play it?

Something is clearly wrong here.

I am in Europe and what the actual fuck? How am I supposed to play it?
This has been asked a hundred times...

OP needs to clarify it.

It comes with a USB-A to microUSB cable included (same one that comes with most phone chargers) that you can plug into any USB port to power it. You don't need to buy anything extra. Surely you have an old charger you can use or just plug it into the TV or another device under the TV that has a USB port (Switch Wii U, PS4, etc).

JP

720p is confirmed, and there are reports saying it's the same hardware and NES classic
Thanks, I'd not seen any confirmation.

I was really expecting the hardware to be identical, it's just far more economic for Nintendo to continue that run of boards, particularly with them now saying that there will be more NES Mini Classics too.

I was sort of hoping for more storage space for when I start adding my own games although I never really expected that to happen.

RAIDEN1

When it comes to adding more games it'll be about mini-management!....Can't wait to get Cybernator on there!!

Robin64

When it comes to adding more games it'll be about mini-management!....Can't wait to get Cybernator on there!!

I've never beaten that without doing the trick where you don't fire a shot in level 1 and you start level 2 with the napalm.

BumRush

One more headphone question:

Would something like this work?

I'd put the HDMI end in the SNES Classic, and the VGA end in the monitor?? Thanks again guys

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
What's the max size on the NES Classic? Just checked the folder size of the games I want to throw onto the SNES Classic and its around 350mb...maybe 320 once I take out the games the SNES Classic comes with

groansey

What's the Yoshi's Island emulation issue?

Does it manage the original 'Touch fuzzy, get dizzy' level? Changes were made to that level in subsequent releases...

Robin64

Does it manage the original 'Touch fuzzy, get dizzy' level? Changes were made to that level in subsequent releases...

4KJ7ZsN.gif

Notice how the background vanishes for a moment. The original release had it pixelate both the background and foreground, but here the background vanishes entirely and only the foreground pixelates.

The emulator is failing to process the split second FXchip usage correctly so only the foreground remains in that bit while the background scenery disappears.

We'll find out proper SNES Mini sizing very soon, but the NES Mini was a 512mb chip.

Remember you need to leave space for save files and save states, too. And save states are bigger this time as they contain the last 30 seconds of gameplay data.

4KJ7ZsN.gif

Notice how the background vanishes for a moment. The original release had it pixelate both the background and foreground, but here the background vanishes entirely and only the foreground pixelates.

That's such a minor issue, that frankly is not worth worrying about it. I wish Nintendo had left open the possibility to update the firmware so they could fix these issues as people find them.

That's such a minor issue, that frankly is not worth worrying about it. I wish Nintendo had left open the possibility to update the firmware so they could fix these issues as people find them.

It’s not entirely impossible! The same way the NES classic was hacked, Nintendo could release a Windows app that updates the device if you connect it to your PC...

It's only a split second, and obviously a tricky thing to emulate, but that is somewhat disappointing.
Considering this is a ground-up built emulator trying to do the chip. I sort of expected some flaws to come up. It's a good thing the emulation is otherwise pretty good.

Robin64

That reddit post is sliiiightly misleading as he's using compressed ROMs and running them through a secondary emulator on the machine.

If you're a purist who will be using the built-in SNES emulator, and the normal front-end, you are going to have a lot less space than he makes out.

Blizzard

Banned
None of the games are beat em ups correct? My one sadness is that the best co op SNES game I'm aware of, Turtles in Time, isn't included. I'm guessing there were license issues though.

I could try to find the cartridge on eBay and see how hard it is to rip your own SNES ROM, but it's probably quite expensive.

I also need to find a list of which games have co op features. I know at least one Kirby dues, and Super Mario World, and Mario Kart. Maybe Yoshi's Island?

None of the games are beat em ups correct? My one sadness is that the best co op SNES game I'm aware of, Turtles in Time, isn't included. I'm guessing there were license issues though.

I could try to find the cartridge on eBay and see how hard it is to rip your own SNES ROM, but it's probably quite expensive.

I also need to find a list of which games have co op features. I know at least one Kirby dues, and Super Mario World, and Mario Kart. Maybe Yoshi's Island?

Contra 3 and Secret of Mana have co-op

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That reddit post is sliiiightly misleading as he's using compressed ROMs and running them through a secondary emulator on the machine.

If you're a purist who will be using the built-in SNES emulator, and the normal front-end, you are going to have a lot less space than he makes out.

Yeah, I see the appeal but that's not really where I'm at. SNES roms are pretty small as it is, so even with just ~200mb spare space you can throw quite a few extra games on. At the very least the handful of glaring omissions one might need.

That would require both licensing and for Konami to give more of a damn.

Not even putting in Super Bomberman, you had one job.

Megatron

Super contra and secret of mana. Definitely play secret of mana. Its awesome.

Earth

Banned
One more headphone question:

Would something like this work?

I'd put the HDMI end in the SNES Classic, and the VGA end in the monitor?? Thanks again guys

It'll work but in my experience, the audio on most HDMI to VGA converters sound pretty poor - you might find it acceptable though!

You might want something like this and a decent DAC/HeadAMP in addition to the VGA converter depending on the quality of your headphones, your personal preference and your budget.

BumRush

It'll work but in my experience, the audio on most HDMI to VGA converters sound pretty poor - you might find it acceptable though!

You might want something like this and a decent DAC/HeadAMP in addition to the VGA converter depending on the quality of your headphones, your personal preference and your budget.

Thanks for the response. I'm not really looking to spend $30 just to get the sound, but knowing that the cheaper option works is awesome.

Thanks again!

dose

This has been asked a hundred times...

OP needs to clarify it.

It comes with a USB-A to microUSB cable included (same one that comes with most phone chargers) that you can plug into any USB port to power it. You don't need to buy anything extra. Surely you have an old charger you can use or just plug it into the TV or another device under the TV that has a USB port (Switch Wii U, PS4, etc).
Edit: Stupid error on my part!

The fact is it's stupid decision and Nintendo should be pulled up about it. It's the same shit they did with the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom