• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReyVGM

Anyone feel like SMW has a bit of input lag? I just played it and I feel like there's input lag. Mario doesn't jump immediately when I press the button like I remember him doing.

I played SMW on a computer emulator to test if it was the same, and the response was perfect. Mario feels just like I remember it. But on the SNES Classic I feel like I have to anticipate jumping or else I'll fall or hit an enemy.

I've played SF Turbo, and Star Fox and both felt perfect.

*Edit*
Figured it out. I had Game Mode off. I turned it on and now it's as responsive as I remember it being.

Brandson

Before deciding whether to get a Classic, I decided to hook up my old original SNES to see if it still worked. Thanks to some thoughtful packing up 15+ years ago, the plastic on the console hadn't even discoloured yet. Picked up a Framemeister, 8bitdo wireless controller, and rgb scart cable and the quality is better than I remember on my old crt tv. It is so nice to revisit the old games again. I don't think I'll bother with the Classic now. I already have an hdmi AVS. Getting my Genesis and N64 rgb-ready next.

One regrettable moment though... finding my old empty (and still like new) boxes for Megaman X2 and X3 and remembering I had lent the carts to a long lost friend of my brother nearly 2 decades ago, never to receive them back, then checking their prices on ebay. Ugh. The Classic has me beat there.

Anyone feel like SMW has a bit of input lag? I just played it and I feel like there's input lag. Mario doesn't jump immediately when I press the button like I remember him doing.

I played SMW on a computer emulator to test if it was the same, and the response was perfect. Mario feels just like I remember it. But on the SNES Classic I feel like I have to anticipate jumping or else I'll fall or hit an enemy.

I've played SF Turbo, and Star Fox and both felt perfect.

*Edit*
Figured it out. I had Game Mode off. I turned it on and now it's as responsive as I remember it being.

Even so it still has a very very tiny (1 frame or so) input lag compared to real hardware. I’m playing on a CRT and I can definitely feel it. Digital Foundry also acknowledged it.

Mzo

One regrettable moment though... finding my old empty (and still like new) boxes for Megaman X2 and X3 and remembering I had lent the carts to a long lost friend of my brother nearly 2 decades ago, never to receive them back, then checking their prices on ebay. Ugh. The Classic has me beat there.
I'm sorry to hear that. Lost a lot of games over the years lending them out including Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, which I never liked much anyway. Hit me up if you ever want to sell those boxes. =]

Are there any games similar to something like Maniac Mansion or The Uninvited/Shadowgate on SNES?
Not really? Clock Tower kind of. The Famicom Detective Club remakes?

JusDoIt

Just unboxed mine. I immediately plugged in an old Hori arcade stick for the Wii that I haven’t used since Obama’s first term, kicked M. Bison’s and 10 other asses, and put J-U-S next to my score as Ryu did his emo walk away from the podium. Life is great.

ReyVGM

Even so it still has a very very tiny (1 frame or so) input lag compared to real hardware. I’m playing on a CRT and I can definitely feel it. Digital Foundry also acknowledged it.

Well, I believe all games will have a tiny fraction of more lag on anything that's not a CRT.

Personally once I turned Game Mode on, every trace of input lag disappeared for me.

Gartooth

For someone who has never played through any SNES RPGs aside from Chrono Trigger, I was wondering which ones I should tackle first?

VeeP

Well it's time for me to give a special shout-out.

As an old-school gamer that group on on the SNES (my GOAT system), this was the first of the "mini" series that I was truly excited for. Memories of ActRaiser, Super Mario World, UN Squadron, Turtles In Time, Street Fighter II Championship Edition, NBA Jam, my lame-ass Super Scope 6....so many of my best memories were on the SNES with my friends. I instantly knew I would want one of these SNES minis when they were announced, but considering how the NES mini went down I was duly skeptical of my chances. Well, fast forward to the pre-order phase and I found myself among the masses who tried and failed grandly trying to get a pre-order in. I was happy to see others squeeze an order in between the madness, but was kinda disappointed that I might not get a chance to relive some of those classic memories outside of regular old emulation.

Fellow GAFer Earthbound64 reached out to me about the SNES classic and let me know that he might have been able to score one for me among some he was able to pre-order along the way. He couldn't promise me that he would have one for me when it came time for orders to be fulfilled (and who could given all the random cancellations we've seen) but that he would try. Given his reaching out to me was totally unsolicited, I could only send him appreciation that he thought of me at all. I asked him what the best way to compensate him for his troubles would be if he was able to happen upon one for me and he refused payment. Not used to any sugh generosity from someone I don't know, I kept pressing on a way to pay him back and he kept on refusing. Well, fast forward a few weeks and sure enough: he was able to get one extra and he wanted to give it to me. *tear* After struggling to convince him to let me pay him, I finally acquiesced.

So this shout-out is to Earthbound64 whose generosity and kindness has made an old-school Nintendo gamer smile. I get to jump into A Link To The Past and Super Mario World again in style for the first time in about 25 years thanks to you.

GAFers are the best, but some are decidedly better than others. Now to figure out how to pay it forward. :-D

Good guy Earthboound64. I'm glad you got a SNES Dream Visions.

Brandson

Fuck Super Tennis is unforgiving lol

I used to have this on such a lock that I could complete the whole tour without losing a game, and sometimes without losing a point. There is a surprise waiting for you if you can master the tour to that degree. Fired up my old cart this week but I had lost the touch after being softened up by WiiU Mario Tennis. I am determined to get it back. I used to be able to dominate with anyone, but Matt was generally the easiest.

nny

I used to have this on such a lock that I could complete the whole tour without losing a game, and sometimes without losing a point. There is a surprise waiting for you if you can master the tour to that degree. Fired up my old cart this week but I had lost the touch after being softened up by WiiU Mario Tennis. I am determined to get it back. I used to be able to dominate with anyone, but Matt was generally the easiest.

I used to do this, but in Smash Tennis. :)

I need some help on Metroid. I'm in Brinstar. I just defeated the plant boss.. the one that spins around and opens his mouth for missile attacks while flakes/pollen fall from the ceiling. I got the super missile. I also have the charge attack. I can't seem to progress any further. I back tracked all the way and did all the side areas of Crateria. It seems I need to find some other doorway or I need the speed boost?

Snaku

Banned
Just spent the last ten minutes before bed ripping through King Ghidorah in Super Godzilla for the first time since my original SNES died five years ago. Man I missed this game. I love this damn console so much.

emb

I need some help on Metroid. I'm in Brinstar. I just defeated the plant boss.. the one that spins around and opens his mouth for missile attacks while flakes/pollen fall from the ceiling. I got the super missile. I also have the charge attack. I can't seem to progress any further. I back tracked all the way and did all the side areas of Crateria. It seems I need to find some other doorway or I need the speed boost?
Now that you've got the super missiles, look for a green door.

DeathPeak

Is this where there's a bridge that's constantly collapsing that you think you can't run across?

Chittagong

Gold Member
While I haven't hacked my SNESC just yet, thought I'd play around with making PAL style versions of the boxart, cos those are the version I grew up with (and it adds a bit of colour to the screen)

jeEmtzG.png
2YdRMaK.png
YLYUWv7.png

Though, it seems some PAL boxes (I believe the French versions) don't have that grey PAL VERSION text underneath the Super Nintendo logo (and there's not that many great versions of PAL boxes to choose from on the internet).

Wow, these look legit, can easily imagine that they existed.

PAL Version text - personally I’d keep it in, to me it seems the box tempate is sized with the text in mind, and the ones where its omitted have the Super Nintendo logo floating in a lot of empty space.

No it isn't. You iron out kinks, a kink is a crease or an imperfection in material. Perhaps it's been changed by our American cousins? We'll have to file it with "TIDbit"

Edit - I think you may be joking, forgive me.

If it's any consolation, your post made me smile. :)

Well it's time for me to give a special shout-out.

Aww, you didn't have to go and say all that. I'm just glad that I could do something for someone, and know they're happy with it and going to enjoy it :)

Holy shiterino, Earthbound64, you're an angel disguised as a mortal. Mad props and such a heartwarming story!

Can you not controller reset to the game selection screen on the EU SNES Mini? Holding start, select and the shoulder buttons resets the game, but I thought holding it longer took you back to the main console menu but it's not working (in Super Mario Kart at least)

Can you not controller reset to the game selection screen on the EU SNES Mini? Holding start, select and the shoulder buttons resets the game, but I thought holding it longer took you back to the main console menu but it's not working (in Super Mario Kart at least)

Out of the box you need to use the Reset Button. Some hardware allows for such shortcuts on an unmodded SNES Mini (e.g. the 8Bitdo Retro Receiver). If you flash a custom kernel using Hakchi2 it also enables a combination.

It's Down + Select in both cases. The L+R+Sel+Start seems to be built into the games.

iidesuyo

The German translation of Secret of Mana is so much better than the English translation.

But only the English version is included :-/

TheMoon

The German translation of Secret of Mana is so much better than the English translation.

But only the English version is included :-/

People would be crucified today if someone released a fairly serious RPG with a sort of meme-y localization like that.

Have a Wii Classic Controller? connect one of those and use its Home button to reset it more comfortably, if you don't wanna go into the modding stuff.

Finished Earthbound for the first time in a decade. Got all the 1/128 items, level 99 and took my time exploring.

Still a 10/10 experience. What a game.

I think I'll play Secret of Mana next.

Daffy Duck

Should Final Fantasy be played like VII?

By that I mean exploring everywhere, finding weapons and items etc? Or is this more simplistic?

shockdude

Need a good wireless controller for the SNES mini?
Any recommendations other than 8Bitdo or is that it?
I'm still waiting for someone to give impressions of a Nintendo SNES Classic controller connected to a Wiimote and then wirelessly paired with an 8bitdo receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom