• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Chrono Trigger is one of the top RPG of the 16 bit era (for me only beaten by Terranigma) so keep your expectation in check.

As for the RPG in the SNES Classic, they are quite different so it's quite easy to make a choice (on what to play first) depending on your tastes.

Super Mario RPG: RPG that targets newbies of the genre therefore there are action sequences both in the form of mini games and timing commands to increase damage inflicted or the parry effectiveness.
It has turn based battles with some action and visible enemies on screen.
Oh it is also notable for to be one of the few SNES games to use full computer generated graphics.

EarthBound: The best description would be "a weird combination of Dragon Quest template and Peanuts".
It has lots of charm and it's the most mature RPG (in the sense that target adult thinking) of the era despite having children as protagonists.
Turn based battles and visible enemies on screen.

Final Fantasy III (VI): It's the best Final Fantasy.
Turn based battle (although the priority of the turns is in real time) and random encounters.

Secret of Mana: It's the only action RPG on the list though don't mistake it for a pure action adventure like Zelda because the battle system is a mix between Final Fantasy battle system and real time movements that is battles are still ruled by statistics (you can't dodge spells for instance).
It's notable for to be one of the rare case of co-op RPG of the era so if you have a pal to share your enjoyment of the SNES give it a go with him/her.

Thank you for this awesome write up! I'm starting Mario RPG due to my background with that series, but I'm excited as hell to play FF6 after that since I have never finished a classic FF before. This will be a first!

SpecX

Zelda has been getting the most playtime from me and I'm loving every moment. I literally was playing non-stop for 3 hours Saturday night before I realized how much time passed by. I seriously feel like I'm reliving my childhood with this system and this has been worth every penny.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thank you.

For DKC1 its just enough to find the room.

There is one exception. One bonus room in one particular level requires you complete the bonus room and then exit the bonus room through a hidden door on the right to enter a second bonus room.

If you want to be spoiled on which it is:
Oil Drum Alley, get all single bananas in the first bonus room, get a barrel, pick it up, jump OVER the metal grate, walk into the wall, throw/drop the barrel to break open the double hidden door, enter second bonus room. If you walked over the metal grate, you'll exit the first bonus without entering the second bonus. It's bullshit. It's so bullshit.

Speaking of bullshit bonus levels:
NeoGAF: Fucking Donkey Kong Country's Bonus Rooms are Bullshit

Brawl96

FF3 help please!

How do the running shoes work? I equipped them to my top spot guy, and in the mountain area I'm not walking any faster. Help please?

boxoctosis

FF3 help please!

How do the running shoes work? I equipped them to my top spot guy, and in the mountain area I'm not walking any faster. Help please?

You want the Sprint Shoes to run faster on screen.

The running shoes caste Haste (in battle) I think.

Oil Drum Alley, get all single bananas in the first bonus room, get a barrel, pick it up, jump OVER the metal grate, walk into the wall, throw/drop the barrel to break open the double hidden door, enter second bonus room. If you walked over the metal grate, you'll exit the first bonus without entering the second bonus. It's bullshit. It's so bullshit.

THAT'S WHAT I WAS DOING WRONG!? ALL THESE YEARS!! I'm so heated right now.

octopiggy

There is one exception. One bonus room in one particular level requires you complete the bonus room and then exit the bonus room through a hidden door on the right to enter a second bonus room.

Thanks. I will be using a guide. I don't have the time or patience to jump off random cliffs.

denx

This is why I got 102% in DKC2 and even 105% in DKC3 (not bragging t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶g̶g̶i̶n̶g̶] but never got 101% on DKC. The Bonus Rooms locations were weird and unintuitive as fuck.

Megasoum

Banned
So I dunno if it's just me but man... I really suck at Ken Griffey's Baseball lol

When I'm on offense it's not too bad but when I'm pitching I get destroyed.

Havok1313

So I dunno if it's just me but man... I really suck at Ken Griffey's Baseball lol

When I'm on offense it's not too bad but when I'm pitching I get destroyed.

I totally had the same feeling, haha. I know it's been 25 years and I'm kind of guessing at the controls, but I played 3 innings and was down 25 - 4 so I just gave up.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Things come easy when you're streaming

3ktpScb.png

Link to video

Replaying FFVI again so many years later and man, I really dislike the combat and level system. After reaching
the world of ruin
it just starts feeling boring.

Randam

I found the 2 mentioned in the thread you linked as a kid.

RaginRoss

What are you guys doing with controller cables when not playing? I have an extension cable, and it looks pretty stupid wrapping that entire thing round the controller.

I had a go of DKC for the first time in around 15 years, and it still holds up really well. It's probably my favourite platformer series on the SNES that I played. I don't really remember DKC2 other than it being the one with Dixie and Diddy, and I enjoyed what I played of 3.

I never played much of them though, like, I don't think I reached the world 1 boss on any of them.

Are the other 2 OK on the EU Wii U VC, or are they 50hz PAL?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I had a go of DKC for the first time in around 15 years, and it still holds up really well. It's probably my favourite platformer series on the SNES that I played. I don't really remember DKC2 other than it being the one with Dixie and Diddy, and I enjoyed what I played of 3.

I never played much of them though, like, I don't think I reached the world 1 boss on any of them.

For some weird reason DKC and DKC3 have the 60Hz versions available on the EU eShop, but the decided to make DKC2 the PAL 50Hz version.

For some weird reason DKC and DKC3 have the 60Hz versions available on the EU eShop, but the decided to make DKC2 the PAL 50Hz version.

Thanks Nintendo!

I'll probably pick them up at some point though.

I just love how the movement feels on those games though. I wasn't a big fan of Returns, but Tropical Freeze was amazing.

DKC2 is widely considered the best one.

Krathoon

I am finding it fascinating seeing the early versions of Nintendo's 3D games on the SNES Classic. They are almost like prototypes. You really see the core concepts behind those games.

Randam

I guess I'm getting then mixed up. I definitely remember playing with Kiddy Kong though.
Dkc 2 starts on a pirate ship right away.

In dkc 3 you first have to navigate over the world map and get a boat from Funky Kong. With that you have to go to the first world and the first level is on a long pier.

Tried secret of mana for two hours but man I cant get into it. Feel like it aged pretty badly. How's seiken denetsu 3?

FWIW I've tried getting into SoM several times over the years and it never really clicked for me either. It wasn't until I reached the part where you can really start to upgrade and juggle your weapons, a few hours in:
after helping the dwarves with some stuff and starting to pick up weapon orbs
that the combat started to feel varied and interesting. If you haven't fallen off completely I'd try to at least get there and get a feel of the various weapons and their upgrades before dropping it entirely.

Also, of course, playing co-op if possible is the ideal. Getting a feel for your travel space so you don't lock each other is a minor hump but once you get a feel for it you are good. If not in a new area or running around town we tend to have one player drop out (hit start) so the other can drive unimpeded by someone getting stuck on a wall or whatever.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I had to bite the bullet and look at a walkthrough for Super Metroid last night. I have fallen low in my old age.

While on the topic of Secret of Mana: Is there a lot of grinding involved? I put 2-3 hours into it last night and upon reaching the
Spiky Tiger
boss fight found that I was apparently severely under-leveled. My characters were all in the 6-8 range heading in to the fight (despite never skipping any enemies I came across) while some posts online recommend 10+. So I spent about 30 minutes grinding, which is the one thing that I absolutely don't want to get involved with over the course of a 25-30 hour RPG.

Is the need to grind commonplace throughout the game, or was this just a rare situation that I likely won't encounter again?

Psxphile

While on the topic of Secret of Mana: Is there a lot of grinding involved? I put 2-3 hours into it last night and upon reaching the
Spiky Tiger
boss fight found that I was apparently severely under-leveled. My characters were all in the 6-8 range heading in to the fight (despite never skipping any enemies I came across) while some posts online recommend 10+. So I spent about 30 minutes grinding, which is the one thing that I absolutely don't want to get involved with over the course of a 25-30 hour RPG.

Is the need to grind commonplace throughout the game, or was this just a rare situation that I likely won't encounter again?

Spiky Tiger was always a kind of roadblock boss that was purposefully difficult to beat from what I can tell. Before you get to that point, the non-linear style of gameplay might have had you backtracking a few times between Pandora, the Dwarf Village and Haunted Forest before you would recruit your other party members permanently (Primm has a habit of walking off). Devs might have thought that multiple trips through Gaia's Navel would lead to higher levels and adjusted Spiky Tiger accordingly. That's just a guess, though.

The game does get grindy though, and I don't mean character levels. Once you get magic each spirit's pool of spells can be leveled (and thus get stronger) by using their magic a lot, the max level corresponding to the amount of Mana Seeds you've awakened. In the 2nd half of the game Mana Seeds come pretty fast and so do new Elemetal Spirits, which all start at Level 1. Weapons too can be leveled alonside their upgrades, and each new level gives you a new charge attack (some better than others). Of course, most people consider magic pretty broken so forcing them to level up would only serve to break the game even more.

Cool!

I don't remember, does the original cart game save high scores or are you using save states to save?
The original had a battery save, yeah. Saves records and your title bout progress. 3 save slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom