• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Hell yes, I'm on the final dungeon of ALTTP! By tonight I will have finally finished this game!

I'm getting blown away by how long and rich this game is for having come out in the early 90s.

It makes me extremely happy to see so many people enjoying SNES games :)
The SNES is still my favorite system ever, and it's wonderful to have so many people playing it again :)

spad3

Update: If you're looking for a SNES Classic, check with GameStop stores starting tomorrow through the weekend. Some stores are reportedly getting some restock on a first-come-first serve basis.

Gartooth

A Link to the Past is now finished! I can't believe how many years I have waited to finally get through playing all of this game. Like this game has just risen to the top of my favorite SNES games and sits alongside Super Mario World and Chrono Trigger. Fucking masterpiece!

Spiky Tiger was always a kind of roadblock boss that was purposefully difficult to beat from what I can tell. Before you get to that point, the non-linear style of gameplay might have had you backtracking a few times between Pandora, the Dwarf Village and Haunted Forest before you would recruit your other party members permanently (Primm has a habit of walking off). Devs might have thought that multiple trips through Gaia's Navel would lead to higher levels and adjusted Spiky Tiger accordingly. That's just a guess, though.

The game does get grindy though, and I don't mean character levels. Once you get magic each spirit's pool of spells can be leveled (and thus get stronger) by using their magic a lot, the max level corresponding to the amount of Mana Seeds you've awakened. In the 2nd half of the game Mana Seeds come pretty fast and so do new Elemetal Spirits, which all start at Level 1. Weapons too can be leveled alonside their upgrades, and each new level gives you a new charge attack (some better than others). Of course, most people consider magic pretty broken so forcing them to level up would only serve to break the game even more.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I just ran into the first area where I'll need to worry about grinding my Elemental Spirits:
the fire-breathing boss in the Underground Palace
. Another quick look online shows that I'm probably 1-2 levels below where I should be for the fight, and this is without skipping any battles up to this point. Also seems to be recommended that I level up my magic to level 1 prior to the fight.

Between all the grinding, my CPU-controlled partners bugging out on me and getting stuck on the map (had to reset and lost progress because Primm got literally stuck and could not move), and some other questionable combat issues (I can't count how many times enemies have endlessly juggled me with attacks and killed me in seconds), I'm probably gonna end this one. Just not having any fun at all anymore.

orborborb

Put me in the camp that found the Secret of Mana very slow to get going.

yes, even when it first came out I might have given up on it if I didn't love the music so much. Once I leveled up a weapon a couple times the combat became fun. But all the future Mana games abandoned that charge attack system so none of them were any fun.

Is anyone using the 8bitdo or the Hori wireless controllers with this? My TV bureau has sliding doors, and I don't like leaving it open so I need to get some controllers with the wireless adaptors. The wireless attachments for the Hori controllers look horrible though, like big USB sticks.

DoomGyver

Is anyone using the 8bitdo or the Hori wireless controllers with this? My TV bureau has sliding doors, and I don't like leaving it open so I need to get some controllers with the wireless adaptors. The wireless attachments for the Hori controllers look horrible though, like big USB sticks.
I ordered the 8bitdo bluetooth receivers a week ago and am still waiting for them to ship. A couple of other users on here have them and were able to hide them inside the SNES case. I haven't heard good things about the Hori.

TheMoon

While on the topic of Secret of Mana: Is there a lot of grinding involved? I put 2-3 hours into it last night and upon reaching the
Spiky Tiger
boss fight found that I was apparently severely under-leveled. My characters were all in the 6-8 range heading in to the fight (despite never skipping any enemies I came across) while some posts online recommend 10+. So I spent about 30 minutes grinding, which is the one thing that I absolutely don't want to get involved with over the course of a 25-30 hour RPG.

Is the need to grind commonplace throughout the game, or was this just a rare situation that I likely won't encounter again?

yes, it's grindalicious. you need to level up the right spells/weapons for the right bosses or you'll be screwed at some point.

Robin64

Fond memories of hanging around near the Wind Temple, spamming spells on everything then using the old man to restore MP. Repeat until bored.

I ordered the 8bitdo bluetooth receivers a week ago and am still waiting for them to ship. A couple of other users on here have them and were able to hide them inside the SNES case. I haven't heard good things about the Hori.
Where did you order he 8bit do receivers? Also, what bad things have you heard about the Hori one?

It's pretty amazing how, in spite of the horrible framerate, Star Fox is still so much fun to play. And this is coming from someone who has no nostalgic attachment whatsoever to the game. It runs like hot garbage but it's some of the most fun I've had on the Classic so far.

Gartooth

It's pretty amazing how, in spite of the horrible framerate, Star Fox is still so much fun to play. And this is coming from someone who has no nostalgic attachment whatsoever to the game. It runs like hot garbage but it's some of the most fun I've had on the Classic so far.

This was my first time playing the original and I was having a blast too! Its like a degraded SF64 that has no right to work on the SNES like it does.

I do have some gripes with a few boss hitboxes and how some route 3 levels expect you to avoid a hundred things at once, but they aren't enough to hurt the overall experience.

dLMN8R

I'm using these two specific products together, and with their latest firmware updates, they work incredible well with my SNES Classic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW7JJPJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQWUT0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unfortunately it looks like the latter is out of stock now :-(

Cynn

I’m using the Hori Fighting Commander wireless pad and it’s working great. Only thing I don’t like is the battery bump on the back of it. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Grabbed the extension cable 2-pack from Best Buy.

I can now play this without moving my couch into the middle of the living room.

JoeNut

Grabbed the extension cable 2-pack from Best Buy.

I can now play this without moving my couch into the middle of the living room.

Yeah i did similar and got extensions from Amazon, it makes a huge difference and i am really shocked that they thought the 5 foot would be enough.

That being said it doesnt solve the issue of having to go to the console to press reset rather than it being a button combo

Catvoca

Banned
Man, Super Mario RPG is so good. Hadn't played more than a couple of hours of it before but playing it now and it's so much fun.

gweemz

Yeah i did similar and got extensions from Amazon, it makes a huge difference and i am really shocked that they thought the 5 foot would be enough.

That being said it doesnt solve the issue of having to go to the console to press reset rather than it being a button combo

This is the only reason i hacked mine, so I could use Select + down to reset. I believe if you use a wii classic controller, the home button acts as reset too.

Rehynn

Anyone looking to trade their American SNES Mini for a European one? I just got mine from Amazon, haven't even opened it yet, and would gladly trade it for the US version, as that's the one I'm nostalgic for.

I'll be on a road trip in the US in late October (NYC, Fairfield CT, Chattanooga TN, New Orleans, Gainesville FL,Jacksonville FL, Myrtle Beach FL, DC, Atlantic City NJ, and NYC again).

PM me if you're interested.

Seik

Banned
Yesterday, me and a good friend.

''...Yeah there's Super Ghouls N Ghosts in there!''

''Oh man really?! I remember this one, we have to try it out!'

''Sure!''

*Boots game*

*dies*
*dies*
*dies*

''Fuck that shit.''

:lol

Paasei

I need to find a HDMI to VGA or DVI adapter, so I can hook up both my PS4 and SNES on the same monitor... The cable swapping starts to annoy me. I just want them both hooked connected.

So, "Plan A" for getting an SNES mini didn't work/became BS..."Plan B," however worked. So I have a NA SNES classic.

Played a little bit of Super CV IV, played through a couple levels of Star Fox (mostly to unlock Star Fox 2), and played a little bit of Kirby Super Star, which I'd never actually played before.

the pads feel a little lighter than the originals, but otherwise feel like SNES pads.

Wish I hadn't have to jump through so many hoops to get one, but it nice to have one.

Also nice to tell walmart to screw-off.

Also, yes, HDMI switch.

I use one. Of my TV's 4 HDMI slots, my Switch gets slot one. My PS4 Pro and Xbox One S get slots 2 & 3 (the only slots that can take the systems' 4k signal), and the splitter gets slot 4. I have my Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Vita TV, and SNES mini all plugged into the HDMI switch.

Triteon

Spent a few hours tonight playing through a few games.
Super G&G is filled with more slow down than i remember and is a bit harder too. Super Castlevania 4 on the other hand is much easier. I got them on the same day (birthday) way back when, and i dont remember this much of a difference.

Ive havent been hit in Castlevania and im up to the caves,but i can barely make it through the first stage SG&G without losing my armour.

Got a day off from work tomorrow, was planning on picking up shadow of war but with all the loot box bullshit ive decided to start Earthbound.

Secret of Mana, Earthbound, and Mario RPG all complete! This mini has been the best gaming purchase in years.

Mana tips for those struggling: the girl and Sprite should be put at the bottom middle of the grid. Their AI is decent when they're on "Keep Away/Attack". I've had no issues with them getting stuck this playthrough.

Grinding magic becomes easy once you have the ability to back track. It only takes a few hours to grind everyone's magic all the way up. It's a little frustrating, but I just watch YouTube to ease the pain.

BumRush

I thought this thing was just going to be a nostalgia play and that I would be done after a few weeks. After adding the 7-8 other carts I had, I could see the classic being my main gaming device for a while!

I actually pushed off getting a switch for a while because if it.

bionic77

A Link to the Past is now finished! I can't believe how many years I have waited to finally get through playing all of this game. Like this game has just risen to the top of my favorite SNES games and sits alongside Super Mario World and Chrono Trigger. Fucking masterpiece!
It is really is timeless.

I think I appreciate it more now than I did when it came out because of how perfectly it aged.

You really could not improve much if at all on what that game was trying to do.

Phreak47

Final Fantasy III (VI): It's the best Final Fantasy.
Turn based battle (although the priority of the turns is in real time) and random encounters.

One of my greatest gaming feelings ever was finding the moogle charm, then realizing, I could now climb that tall tower to get the treasure at the top, without the near impossible onslaught of very difficult random encounters every step of the way.

Unfortunately, I chose the weapon rather than the magic, found out later that was the wrong choice, but oh well.

(I knew NOTHING about this game going in, other than the reviews, never read any tips or tricks or anything, so glad for that)

Prophane33

Cat chewed up my power cord. Now my classic won't turn on.

Any thoughts on a viable replacement gang?

Any USB C cable in existence.

If you need something to plug into the wall then the one that came with your system (assuming a US model) should work with any existing USB C cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom