• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Getting close to the end of Zelda. How anyone in the 90's completed the game without a guide is beyond me. I'm also taking full advantage of save states and rewinding lol.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Getting close to the end of Zelda. How anyone in the 90's completed the game without a guide is beyond me. I'm also taking full advantage of save states and rewinding lol.
It's not that complicated, because they almost always tell you where you need to go, or there's an icon on the map.

I beat it as a kid, so who knows.

I assume you mean Link to the Past? Man, if you think that's hard...the original NES game is some real obtuse shit. Burning bushes that all look exactly through trial and error, smh.

HeeHo

I finally got one of these after stressing about it for so long. Honestly, I feel a little stupid for even caring that much (waking up early to get in line, refreshing wegpages like a madman at crazy hours). It's quite the novelty to own but I started realizing that I didn't actually want to replay any of these game in their entirety and that maybe I shouldn't have cared so much.

It feels cool to own but I actually got very bored with it fast. I like almost all of the games on it too.

I'm not too sure if I'll get another fututre mini classic if the demand is so strong and the supply is so little. they're cool, but it's not cool enough to wait in line at crazy hours or refreshing webstores only to be disappointed.

I guess the fun is in the chase but I also found that more stressful than actually fun.

Alastor3

I finally got one of these after stressing about it for so long. Honestly, I feel a little stupid for even caring that much (waking up early to get in line, refreshing wegpages like a madman at crazy hours). It's quite the novelty to own but I started realizing that I didn't actually want to replay any of these game in their entirety and that maybe I shouldn't have cared so much.

It feels cool to own but I actually got very bored with it fast. I like almost all of the games on it too.

I'm not too sure if I'll get another fututre mini classic if the demand is so strong and the supply is so little. they're cool, but it's not cool enough to wait in line at crazy hours or refreshing webstores only to be disappointed.

I guess the fun is in the chase but I also found that more stressful than actually fun.

That is the exact reason I am not getting one.

but if I had friends nearby, I might just for playing with someone else with 2 players game

inner-G

Banned

It doesn’t have to be about playing all the games to completion to be worth it.

It’s a cheap fun box to boot up when you need a quick kick of nostalgia or want an easy way to run through one of your old favorites that plays well with modern TVs.

maxcriden

Anyone ever encounter a glitch in W
ay Cool
in Super Mario World where the platforms and ropes halfway through the level don't all down properly?

Just beat my first Zelda game :)

Congrats! And as your reward you have lots of amazing games in store for you in the series. :)

Anyone ever encounter a glitch in W
ay Cool
in Super Mario World where the platforms and ropes halfway through the level don't all down properly?

Congrats! And as your reward you have lots of amazing games in store for you in the series. :)

I clear half the level with cape and Yoshi by
making a long running jump at the start and bouncing off all the Fuzzies, then finish the level by getting the wings from the block halfway in.

So no, I don't remember such a glitch.

traveler

Not Wario
To me, it's already been worth it, but I also happened to be awake when the Best Buy preorders went up, so there wasn't any stress in getting it.

Finished Super Mario World for the first time. Moving on to Super Punch Out for the first time. Will also get to play Super Ghouls N Ghosts, F-zero, Star Fox, Star Fox 2, FF6, Super Metroid and Earthbound to completion for the first time, so half of the titles here are basically new to me and the other half are old favorites of mine.

Earthbound was worth the $80 just by itself to me - I'm having so much fun with it. I mean I've heard about it being a good game but I'm just barely in (
Just got the second character in the party
) but I love it. I have fallen in love with its quirkiness, how absolutely non-serious and downright silly and weird the entire game is, the cool music, the strange enemies, the psychedelic backdrops in battles, the sprite work and art style - I adore everything about the game so far. And the gameplay is just so fun too! It's not exactly an easy turn-based RPG either, but doesn't (so far) seem to take too many "cheap shots" at the player although there are some occasions where I've felt a little unfairly destroyed by a string of bad luck but then again, most of the time in these "old school" RPGs you just have to learn when to head back to "base" and heal and rest and typically dying to anything other than a boss is usually because you simply extended yourself too much.

However, I'm being able to take advantage of save states so that does make things much easier.

The combat system is surprisingly deep and the enemies feel particularly unique, especially with their own combat music.

So glad I got the chance to experience Earthbound for the first time.

KayMote

I've just started to play Final Fantasy VI for the first hour or so. This is my first playthrough and I already love the music and the atmosphere - kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy VII where you can sense this great amount of adventure and melancholy mixed together!

So, what specifics should I know and keep in mind for my first playthrough? Is it a very grinding heavy game? Should I backtrack a lot to visit old towns and locations for anything to happen? Anything hidden in the game that I should be aware about to make the playthrough as comfortable as possible?

Earthbound was worth the $80 just by itself to me - I'm having so much fun with it. I mean I've heard about it being a good game but I'm just barely in (
) but I love it. I have fallen in love with its quirkiness, how absolutely non-serious and downright silly and weird the entire game is, the cool music, the strange enemies, the psychedelic backdrops in battles, the sprite work and art style - I adore everything about the game so far. And the gameplay is just so fun too! It's not exactly an easy turn-based RPG either, but doesn't (so far) seem to take too many "cheap shots" at the player although there are some occasions where I've felt a little unfairly destroyed by a string of bad luck but then again, most of the time in these "old school" RPGs you just have to learn when to head back to "base" and heal and rest and typically dying to anything other than a boss is usually because you simply extended yourself too much.

However, I'm being able to take advantage of save states so that does make things much easier.

The combat system is surprisingly deep and the enemies feel particularly unique, especially with their own combat music.

Yes indeedy, the best game I never played as a kid since it was never released in Australia. The SNES mini is incredible value for money

BumRush

I agree. When I played it as a kid I don't think I was ready for the quirk (ended up stopping after 6-7 hours), but I'm playing it now and I'm loving it. It's super charming.

I've just started to play Final Fantasy VI for the first hour or so. This is my first playthrough and I already love the music and the atmosphere - kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy VII where you can sense this great amount of adventure and melancholy mixed together!

So, what specifics should I know and keep in mind for my first playthrough? Is it a very grinding heavy game? Should I backtrack a lot to visit old towns and locations for anything to happen? Anything hidden in the game that I should be aware about to make the playthrough as comfortable as possible?

It's not a very back-tracky game. Also, re: grinding, just make sure you don't select your favorite team and neglect everyone else. There are times where you're forced to select a specific character(s) or split your groups and they will be significantly tougher if you've neglected the weaker characters.

Oh and enjoy! It's the best game ever made :)

FF7 and Xenogears don't unless ya go all in on grinding and doing every last lil optional thing! My XG time from last year was 49 hours and that included hours of extremely pointless endgame grinding to see all the deathblows I'd never seriously have a chance ta use in battle (since its welllllll before that point that it became Gear Battles: The Game). I can't name a single PS1 rpg I've played that took 50 or more hours just ta clear the story! I mighta just got lucky an only ended up playing the goo... er short rpgs!

Well, of course if you're going to speedrun them and miss half the content, you're going to get lower play times.

Xenogears has a play time of 55 hours just for the story on HowLongToBeat, averaging from 60 different users. Main + extras is at 66 hours, average from 75 different users.
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=11402

Anyone want to take my order for a SNES Classic from Amazon.com at cost? I posted this in the preorder shitshow thread last night but didn't hear from anyone. PM if interested. I'll change the address to yours and you send me gift card code for the amount and I'll use it to pay for the order. (I've sold stuff similarly many times and you can check my feedback in the GAF Buy/Sell/Trade community).

It will be cancelled tomorrow if nobody takes it.

Has there been any reason given to why Japan got a different Street Fighter 2 game than Europe and the US?

Dont see the reason to not give everyone Super Street Fighter 2?

I not only completed it, but got every piece of heart without a guide.

We had more time and patience back then. :p

I not only completed it, but got every piece of heart without a guide.

We had more time and patience back then. :p

Yeah most people didnt have a choice of 50 other games in a backlog like so many do these days.

If I see my son has stopped playing a game it's inevitably because he got "stuck" at some point. A fight was too hard for him or he didn't know where to go next. I didn't have that luxury as a kid. I figured it out or had nothing to play.

Madness

I believe Turbo was the popular version in the West.

It was, but this doesn't mean you give the game with less characters, maps and whatnot while you have already made it for another region. Literally zero sense to not just give Super Street Fighter II instead of Street Fighter II Turbo: HF. The music in Turbo for characters/stages is the most iconic but give me Cammy and Fei Long and the improvements in i SSFII. There were newer moves given to character like Ryu and Ken, better animation and backgrounds etc. Makes zero sense to me if Japan gets SSFII but the West only got Turbo.

Prophane33

Yeah, anecdotally that seems to be the case. Interestingly enough, I actually only played the original SFII, and Super SFII, so I have no nostalgia for Turbo; however, my wife has only played Turbo so that's her favorite version.

Yeah, anecdotally that seems to be the case. Interestingly enough, I actually only played the original SFII, and Super SFII, so I have no nostalgia for Turbo; however, my wife has only played Turbo so that's her favorite version.
Same here. Everyone had the original. And my family happend to have a japanese import of Super.

Never played turbo as a kid.

Even when renting the game for mega drive it was Super.

Yeah most people didnt have a choice of 50 other games in a backlog like so many do these days.

If I see my son has stopped playing a game it's inevitably because he got "stuck" at some point. A fight was too hard for him or he didn't know where to go next. I didn't have that luxury as a kid. I figured it out or had nothing to play.

Yeah, exactly. Doubly so during the SNES era, when carts were super expensive for the time, especially with a kid's allowance. I was lucky to get one game per 2-3 months, even if I used the entirety of my allowance.

A game back then could cost you around 50-60€. That's around the 100€ mark in today's money!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When I got my SNES, I had to wait six months for my next game and another six month after that for my third! Crazy.

PSFan

Yeah, exactly. Doubly so during the SNES era, when carts were super expensive for the time, especially with a kid's allowance. I was lucky to get one game per 2-3 months, even if I used the entirety of my allowance.

A game back then could cost you around 50-60€. That's around the 100€ mark in today's money!

Don't remember SNES carts being that expensive. They were about 50-60 dollars. I remember the first time I ever went to a Funcoland and saw the games were much more expensive than other places. Like $80. Then I learned they marked up the new ones to get people to buy the used ones so they would make more money.

I guess that's how Gamestop got their business model when they acquired all the different video game stores.

LOUD915

Don't remember SNES carts being that expensive. They were about 50-60 dollars. I remember the first time I ever went to a Funcoland and saw the games were much more expensive than other places. Like $80. Then I learned they marked up the new ones to get people to buy the used ones so they would make more money.

I guess that's how Gamestop got their business model when they acquired all the different video game stores.

Chrono Trigger was $79.99 when it came out (and worth every goddamn cent).

16 bit carts got crazy towards the end.

dgco86

Cross posting from the other thread since no one else responded. Mods please delete if this is not okay...

Amazon US preorders: I just saw some people on reddit post the following messages.

I got one from Best Buy on launch day, and it has the AC adapter. My Amazon preorder came yesterday and it doesn't have one, only a usb cable. It also has a different sticker on the bottom that says "Distributor: Active Boeki K.K."

They are the ones without an AC adapter so that kinda stinks.

Did anyone else get this? I seriously hope that this is a fluke, since the Active Boeki version (which is what is sold here in Singapore) does not have the ac adaptor or poster.

lonerism

Does anyone here lives in Everett/MA? I have a brother that is on a business trip over there and I asked him to buy me one (I’m Brazilian, there is no way I’m buying one here)

But he is having a hard time finding one, he tried Walmart and Target...

Does anyone know where can he find one?

Sorry in advance about my english :)

mrkgoo

I always find it odd that US releases have people clamouring for stock, whereas some other countries are just free flowing.

I mean, I get that a market like ours (NZ) is easy to saturate, but you'd think they would predict the demand in different places and not just flood ours. Then again, it probably makes no difference to the larger markets to have the smaller ones limited.

But yeah, there seem to be plenty PAL-region versions in stores here. The store I preordered mine at had about 20 on the shelf.

Delivered the 2nd SNES Mini I got to my nephews this weekend. They immediately fired up 2P Mario Kart and both of them tried moving the controller like a Wii Mote to steer lol

chrixter

First game I fired up was Super Mario World. I expected to get to my favorite level (Donut Plains 1) and then maybe lose interest, but once I started playing it was hard to put down. Ended up completing a 96-exit playthrough in one sitting.

Having put hundreds of hours over the past two years into Super Mario Maker (which uses the NSMBU physics engine for all the game styles, including SMW), I was concerned that SMW's original physics would feel somewhat dated in comparison, but I adjusted almost immediately and realized I still enjoy the overall feel of SMW's controls more than maybe any other game I've ever played.

My replay of Yoshi's Island, however, wasn't as fulfilling. I finished it but it was kind of a slog to get through. Levels tend to drag on and aren't quite as creative as my memory had led me to believe, plus I discovered that I just don't find the core gameplay mechanics to be especially fun or satisfying. I still think it's a solid game, I'm just not as high on it anymore.

JoeNut

Super Mario RPG is awesome, the music, the humour, the battle system, the navigation through the map being platformer-esque.

The sewers can get fucked though

Celine

Street Fighter 2 editions total shipment on SNES:

SF2 in Japan: 2.90M
SF2 outside Japan: 3.40M
total: 6.30M

SF2T in Japan: 2.10M
SF2T outside Japan: 2.00M
total: 4.10M

SSF2 in Japan: 1.29M
SSF2 outside Japan: 0.61M
Total: 2.00M

Street Fighter 2 editions total shipment on SNES:

SF2 in Japan: 2.90M
SF2 outside Japan: 3.40M
total: 6.30M

SF2T in Japan: 2.10M
SF2T outside Japan: 2.00M
total: 4.10M

SSF2 in Japan: 1.29M
SSF2 outside Japan: 0.61M
Total: 2.00M

I bet Capcom wish they could do those number with SF today. SFV + USF2 combined is barely above the second revision of SF2 on SNES alone.

I know it’s stupid now, but as a kid finding that damn flute was infuriating.

I found it eventually lol, and I was 8 or 9 when I beat this? So it’s totally possible.

D.Lo

I bet Capcom wish they could do those number with SF today. SFV + USF2 combined is barely above the second revision of SF2 on SNES alone.
I bet Capcom wish they could do those numbers with anything. The original Street Fighter 2 on SNES is their highest selling sku of all time to this day. The only sku to even come close is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

Netto-kun

Woho, the family is complete. :D ...and I should probably buy another HDMI switch so I can hook up more devices to my TV.
DMPv93kWsAAuwqZ.jpg:orig

Spent the weekend modding my SNES Classic with frames and custom sprite icons for the bottom row and now I'm finally ready to dive in.

Was testing per-game custom frames with Super Metroid and wow, this game is addictive. I meant to only play like a minute or two, but 45 minutes later I'm getting the charge beam and super missile and I've got to get to bed.

This system is magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom