• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Playmore changes name to SNK.

Dambrosi

Banned
Ahh, and to think I just bought World Heroes Perfect on Saturn just this last Saturday past.

It's not that bad. It's definitely World Heroes, but it plays well enough.

tenton

Oh, I never knew Kawasaki himself was also the founder of Playmore Corp. So he waited for SNK to go bankrupt and then sold its entire intellectual property to his new company. Heh.

Really what happened was Aruze bought SNK. From my understanding at the time, Aruze indicated they were going to inject money into SNK to help it expand, but what really happened was Aruze was just using the SNK IP to make pachinko machines and was content to pretty much squeeze as much out that they could from that SNK stone and then let it die. Kawasaki (original owner/founder of SNK) eventually went off and created Playmore with a number of the SNK people, waited for SNK to go bankrupt and then bought up all the IP back. Then they started buying up companies that were formed by former SNK employees that jumped ship. Really, the heart of SNK went to Playmore and picked up the pieces from Aruze as soon as they could.

TreIII

Really what happened was Aruze bought SNK. From my understanding at the time, Aruze indicated they were going to inject money into SNK to help it expand, but what really happened was Aruze was just using the SNK IP to make pachinko machines and was content to pretty much squeeze as much out that they could from that SNK stone and then let it die. Kawasaki (original owner/founder of SNK) eventually went off and created Playmore with a number of the SNK people, waited for SNK to go bankrupt and then bought up all the IP back. Then they started buying up companies that were formed by former SNK employees that jumped ship. Really, the heart of SNK went to Playmore and picked up the pieces from Aruze as soon as they could.

Don't forget the lawsuits!

The fact that Kawasaki was able to win several such copyright infringement suits against Aruze was part of the reason the buyout was able to occur as it it did, because Kawasaki had some good lawyers and general good business sense of what to do with the money he won.

mao2

PS2 Classics version of Garou is available on Japan PS Store and is currently 50% off @ 500yen (US$4.50) until May 9.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...lves/cid=JP0576-NPJD00094_00-0000000000000000

Other SNK titles are being discounted too including ADK Tamashii (collection of ADK titles: Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Ninja Master's, Ninja Combat, Ninja Commando, Twinkle Star Sprites) which is super expensive on eBay.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja.../cid=PN.CH.JP-PN.CH.MIXED.JP-CATEGORY00000076

Also, use this code 3RD9EA5KKC during checkout for an additional 15% discount. If I'm not mistaken this code works for everything on Japan PS Store except pre-orders. It's only usable once per account, and is valid until May 8.

PS2 Classics version of Garou is available on Japan PS Store and is currently 50% off @ 500yen (US$4.50) until May 9.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...lves/cid=JP0576-NPJD00094_00-0000000000000000

Other SNK titles are being discounted too including ADK Tamashii (collection of ADK titles: Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Ninja Master's, Ninja Combat, Ninja Commando, Twinkle Star Sprites) which is super expensive on eBay.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja.../cid=PN.CH.JP-PN.CH.MIXED.JP-CATEGORY00000076

Also, use this code 3RD9EA5KKC during checkout for an additional 15% discount. If I'm not mistaken this code works for everything on Japan PS Store except pre-orders. It's only usable once per account, and is valid until May 8.

Thanks for the heads up, i've actually been waiting for a break in releases to pick up Garou to play on PS3, having sold my 360... but this scenario will do nicely!

Anyone know if the PS2 bundles for Orochi/Nests contain the same versions as the single releases?
Just wondering why anyone would opt for the single release when the bundle is the same price, unless they're of different quality port/emu.

Shinriji

Thanks for the heads up, i've actually been waiting for a break in releases to pick up Garou to play on PS3, having sold my 360... but this scenario will do nicely!

Anyone know if the PS2 bundles for Orochi/Nests contain the same versions as the single releases?
Just wondering why anyone would opt for the single release when the bundle is the same price, unless they're of different quality port/emu.

I have the standalone KOF 2000 and the Nests Collection. The standalone version is superior (mostly the incredibly high quality sound). Dunno about KOF 2001.

From what I've heard about the PS2 NESTS Collection secondhand (don't own it, but I do have the original 00/01 bundle) is that they're based off the Dreamcast versions which are different than the PS2 releases

DC Added 3D Backgrounds and New Strikers
PS2 Not originally released on PS2, only in the NESTS Collection

DC: Added Backgrounds from other NeoGeo games
PS2: Added New Strikers, Unlockable KoF Intro Gallery

DC: Straightforward port, but has a Puzzle Mode and like 2000 has Backgrounds from other games in VS Mode
PS2: Completely new intro, 3D Backgrounds, Hi-Res and clean Nona art for Portraits and Victory screens.
*The NESTS Collection on PS2, while it does use the DC version, they actually ADDED a new Arranged Soundtrack

Also as far as the PS2 Orochi collection goes, the Japanese version is the one you want, the version released in English was actually re-devloped by a different developer and doesn't have all the nice options and features of the Japanese collection.

Also worth mentioning is the different versions of KoF 2002

Dreamcast Version: Straightforward port that adds King and Shingo
PS2 (in the US released in a bundle with 2003): Still based off the NeoGeo version, Adds 3D enhanced backgrounds, adds King and Shingo from the DC version AS WELL AS Goenitz, Geese, and Orochi Iori (based off SvC Chaos)
2002 Unlimited Match (PS2, 360, Steam) COMPLETELY remade from scratch

Top Bottom