• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Playmore changes name to SNK.

Hyun Sai

As a proudly owner of Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD and countless pieces in the arcades 2 decades ago...

2878271-8745018863-62546.jpg

Feels good...

Warxard

Banned
SNK is back and all people care about is another fucking crossover game

Capcom ain't even fit to lick SNK's MEGA POWER boots

--

It's time to save the Golf genre SNK. Do it. Neo Turf Masters Returns.

TreIII

--

It's not likely going to happen, anyway. Not only because SNK and their Chinese partners are committed to redeveloping SNK's IPS again, but the last crossover benefitted Capcom more than it did SNK, and left SNK with a bad taste in their mouths.

I can't imagine SNK being in a rush to rekindle the relationship.

Growing up, I was strictly in the palms of Capcom. Barely touched SNK games simply due to their lack of accessibility. In 2012, I played Garou when it released on XBL and it only took me 10 minutes to realize I missed out on a lot.

Been trying to correct that ever since, so I really hope SNK does pull this together. I'd love to get more familiar with their stable.

Josh7289

I really like their new message. "The Future Is Now"

That hearkens back to a time when new console launches were associated with hopes and dreams of experiences that were never thought realistically possible before (at least not anytime soon).

So whatever they can do to try to inspire some of that excitement again, I support.

EDIT: Turns out their new message is the same as their old message from the 90s. No wonder it reminds me of that timeframe haha

Tizoc

No thanks. I wouldn't mind a Capcom vs SNK 3, but I don't need Ono on that.
Especially since he needs to fucking finish Street 5 before anything else
But it is finished
And it is not thenonly fighter ono worked on :v

Oh shit!!! It's on now!

Street Fighter is floundering a bit atm... Perfect time for an OG like SNK to start regulatin'. Capcom needs a kick in the pants.

I always thought that in some ways, SNK kept Capcom in check for a while, at least through the 90s. The competition was great, which meant that the real winners were us, the consumers.

Welcome back SNK! Although, as a couple of people have already said, they have always been "SNK" to me. The aesthetic of KoF 2001 -- an otherwise good fighting game -- soured me on ever acknowledging the "Playmore" part.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hope this means good things from them. I miss old school SNK.
Speaking of old school SNK, they've been re-hiring the old members of the KOF and Garou teams so yeah... get hype!
They also got Neo_G from Capcom so you know that they're working on more Fighting Games.

Does current SNK retain the majority of the 90s staff?

--edit

Speaking of old school SNK, they've been re-hiring the old members of the KOF and Garou teams so yeah... get hype!
They also got Neo_G from Capcom so you know that they're working on more Fighting Games.

I guess this answers my question. :)

Not to be outdone, Capcom poached CPS_2 from SNK

ExVicis

The messiah has returned. SNK has arisen once again! They have returned to lead us all back into the Fighting Game Golden Ages. They're back.

Welcome back SNK! Although, as a couple of people have already said, they have always been "SNK" to me. The aesthetic of KoF 2001 -- an otherwise good fighting game -- soured me on ever acknowledging the "Playmore" part.
Playmore didn't have anything to do with KOF 2001 though (in fact Playmore didn't exist until late in its development). It was published by Eolith and developed by Brezzasoft, which like Playmore is formed by former SNK employees (and Playmore eventually bought them out).

IIRC it was also made with 20% of the staff size of KOF 2000 and that explains the low budget look and feel of the game.

Does current SNK retain the majority of the 90s staff?

--edit

I guess this answers my question. :)
They've been rehiring guys but this is really the third iteration of SNK. They laid off most of the old SNK Playmore guys from the 00s after KOFXIII and the staff now that has been rehired is a mix of old SNK, SNKP and new guys apparently.

Tizoc

Getting hyped for KOF14!

We're living in the saddest Capcom timeline.
All the money went into capcom's other projects-
Dmc5 aa6 monhun x re2 remake that re shooter and re7
U ask me, sf5 as is is a fine sacrifice for those other projects :v

ExVicis

--

I can't blame them too hard, CVS2 was a damn fine game. But I agree, it's not the time to clamour for crossover games. SNK needs to get some hits on it's own for a bit.

Give me a new Garou and Metal Slug first before we even consider the crossover shit again.

Zapages

Come on SNK let's go back to the glory days and bring back all of them: Garou 2, Capcom vs SNK 3, SNK vs Capcom 2, Last Blade 3, Samurai Showdown 6 (Remake) and Samurai Showdown 7...

Also please have good multiplayer code for online.

Peltz

Woah.

That's pretty exciting stuff.

But Metal Slug 8 please :)

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Pleased for all the SNK fans here, seems like a good, nostalgic shot in the arm for them. Now all we need is for Capcom to get their heads out their arses and for Square Enix to properly ressurect Taito. ;_;

Not even going to mention Konami, they're dead to me.

Top Bottom