• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Surfinn

We don't though, we just abstain from animal products for moral reasons. I can't control anyone and I'm doing little outside of animal rights (and a little enviromental stuff) but apparently we're scum and deserve bashing constantly.

Just to clarify this wasn't defensive against Veganism, just poor arguments in general. Someone tried to argue tennis was a good argument earlier against Veganism; ignoring a few big tennis stars are Vegan and their are synthetic rackets... did make my day.
I was agreeing with you. I'm vegetarian

norm9

You dont see how this is aggressive? Really?

Confronting someone's stance isn't being aggressive. I'll ask questions about what they think. I'll see if they're truly "bout it bout it" as their leaving the dining room suggests. I'm not yelling at them, but I would be laughing if in the course of the conversation, I find that a person is a vegetarian that eats chicken, or a vegan that eats cupcakes with "regular" icing.

Izuna

Banned
Apparently Bae went on a picnic with a Vegan and she was saving the ants.

Yesterday I hate a Bratwurst in front of a Vegan stand while I looked at the pictures of the pigs. Made it taste better.

But my advice is to let them do them. It's whatever.

EmiPrime

I don't mind, or rather can tolerate eating at the same table as meat eaters but if it was stinking hot weather and indoors was poorly ventilated I could conceivably see myself opting to eat outdoors instead as fish especially can be really smelly. My dad is meat and potatoes as they come and he can't eat lamb or sea food without puking his guts out for days so the smell understandably doesn't agree with him either.

Some of you are right twats to vegans. I'll resist the temptation to make a compilation of shit posts from this topic.

sarcastor

If I were the parents I probably would have asked beforehand if he was comfortable with everyone else eating non-vegan food. Seems like it could've been easily avoided. I can't really blame someone with the moral values of a vegan for not wanting to dine at a table with people eating meat.

If you're a recovering alcoholic, do you get upset when people drink in front of you? I can maybe understand if its your friends and they constantly make fun of you for not drinking and calling you a wuss. But you can't get mad at dinner if someone is drinking wine.

if you don't like seeing people eating meat in front of you, ask them politely before hand not to do so. Don't fucking expect it like you're the Queen of England.

Its not like you were waiting in line at the ATM and someone brought out a fucking steamed fish and ate it in front of you. It's your god damn girlfriend's parents house. show some respect.

Some of you are right twats to vegans. I'll resist the temptation to make a compilation of shit posts from this topic.

I dont hate the guy for being vegan. I hate the guy for being a disrepectful, selfish twat.

Cipherr

I have no problem with vegans; hell I've been on vegan diets several times! But the OPs brother in law was being an asshole. He was a guest at someone's house, and he disrespected the hosts who even went out of their way to provide some vegan dishes.

This. Life is too short, and the world is full of too many people to bother with folks like that. It's not worth getting upset over. It really isn't. Strike them off the invite list for get togethers/dinner and move on. If you can't find it in you to respect the host, you shouldn't be invited anyway. Waste away alone in your own home while everyone else enjoys the family's company.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha, as someone who grew up with allergies, I know exactly how this is. I never cared like you do though.

Well, typing something on the internet has a way of making things sound like a bigger deal than it is. I also tend to be (irl) percieved as angry when debating something, since I can get very enthusiastic. Put those two together and most people in here probably think I'm seeing red and frothing at the mouth right now.

What would you call expecting everyone around you to cater to your whims other than self-absorbed?

Lol, I'm not expecting anything at all. That's the first thing you learn when going vegan.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I am just taking a wild guess here, may be the vegan dish suck?

Being a vegetarian I really don't know how to respond when someone is being considerate and ordered me a plain rice with stream veggie while everyone else are eating fish and lobster.

Vegetarian meal is hard to cook due to limitation on ingredients, I can't imagine how much harder it would be for vegans. You can't just take a meat recipe and substitution the meat with mushroom.

Next time when you prepare vegan option, ask yourself this, "can I eat just this for dinner?" If the answer is "no" for you then it would be the same for a vegan, we have taste buds too you know.

bunbun777

sorry I only read the first page but I don't think anyone had proffered the idea of... discussion? I mean he either is honestly hurt by the presence of the fishes being eaten or he's a tool but which is it? Like was he crying outside or was he indignant? I guess I should read on...

Wait until you meet the vegan police. They are literally the IRL version of the guys in Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. I have had vegan friends crucified for something like using a bath bomb that honey (bomb was a gift) and being suddenly classified as fakes.

mernst23

Pretty simple solution, eat with the family or don't eat at all. If you are going to pass judgement on those eating meat at the dinner table but still accept a meal from those same people, you're a shitty hypocrite.

Him leaving the table accomplishes no net positive other than swaying his own self-imposed guilt and putting his wife in a shitty position.

Faiz

Not eating together won't be an option in the short-term. We're all together under the same roof for a family vacation. So I guess the rest of us will just have to eat vegetarian food (he seems to be ok with us eating vegetarian, we don't have to go full vegan) for the rest of the week

Holy shit.

Vacation is when I get to relax my own dietary restrictions for a bit, I sure as fuck am not incorporating someone else's because of some emotional blackmail.

Bass260

Ain't nothing like a vegan thread. Wonder why taking a stance against climate change and the treatment of animals elicits such a response.

Orbis

Being a vegetarian I really don't know how to respond when someone is being considerate and ordered me a plain rice with stream veggie while everyone else are eating fish and lobster.

Vegetarian meal is hard to cook due to limitation on ingredients, I can't imagine how much harder it would be for vegans. You can't just take a meat recipe and substitution the meat with mushroom.

Next time when you prepare vegan option, ask yourself this, "can I eat just this for dinner?" If the answer is "no" for you then it would be the same for a vegan, we have taste buds too you know.
I guess the problem is, most non-vegan dishes have meat as a major component so we meat-folk often struggle to understand how to replace the meat. The real solution though is not to replace the meat but to pick something that doesn't have meat in the first place. I personally would just ask my sister as her husband is vegetarian.

It depends on how he did it. There's a certain amount of disrespect in stepping away from the dinner table for a lot of people, but it doesn't have to be a big thing. If he understands the meal was prepared with the best intentions then I'm sure he might feel bad about needing to step away. If this is going to be the new normal then at least this can be avoided in the future.

But it does sort of feel like this thread turned into an airing of grievances. People really feel the need to shit talk it.

Really don't know what this has to do with the OP though...they left the table for other reasons. If you are trying to find a nice way to say your food sucks I don't think using the excuse that a fish is being consumed at the same table as you, is your go to excuse.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Sounds like the Apple fanboy equivalent of Veganism. If he didn't like it, he could've quietly left without protest and explained afterwards why he left to anyone who asked, no need to be a dick and try to ruin everyone else's dinner.

What would you call expecting everyone around you to cater to your whims other than self-absorbed?

I mean, you're even bitter that other people actually do cater to your whims by cooking you separate dishes because they aren't partaking in your whims.

Based on the information provided in the OP, I think it would be hard to say that the brother-in-law expects all his whims to be catered to. He was uncomfortable and excused himself. It's not a personal or disrespectful act in and of itself.

norm9

Holy shit.

Vacation is when I get to relax my own dietary restrictions for a bit, I sure as fuck am not incorporating someone else's because of some emotional blackmail.

Dude will obviously be a very accommodating person and grateful to be hanging with family and friends while on vacation, based on the little info we have.

Thats...rude

Ask them to take you to their favorite Vegan place and just keep making a scene as to why there are no non-vegan options. When they eventually give you something, just leave then go get some fast food and bring it back to the restaurant.

I have a handful of vegan friends and they aren't assholes about it like this.

Mohasus

I really don't see the issue here.

Guy is uncomfortable with meat, decides to eat somewhere else and explains why. He didn't force anyone to not eat it.

Quixzlizx

Based on the information provided in the OP, I think it would be hard to say that the brother-in-law expects all his whims to be catered to. He was uncomfortable and excused himself. It's not a personal or disrespectful act in and of itself.

I was specifically responding to a poster who sounds personally bitter that when they attend dinners hosted by non-vegans, there are non-vegan dishes served and they feel they are being herded into the vegan ghetto with separate but equal dishes.

"I will not eat at a table at which nonvegan dishes are being served" is an uncommon enough clause to veganism that I feel like the obligation was on him to mention that sooner. I can't say it's inconsistent with an anti-meat moral stance, but if you feel that someone's diet is too immoral to share a room with, accepting a dinner invite seems like a bad plan

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's extremely rude. I think if someone in my family, extended or not, did that they would be asked to leave and would never receive any invitations to future get-to-togethers.

Surfinn

You don't usually have to ask if someone is vegan. That's usually what they tell you after their name.
I didn't tell anyone when I was vegan because of these types of responses.

Whenever people found out I'd immediately get shit about it. They only found out when they saw what I was eating/I ate a meal that gave it away.

Just wasn't worth the bullshit

Ralemont

not me
Sounds like the Apple fanboy equivalent of Veganism. If he didn't like it, he could've quietly left without protest and explained afterwards why he left to anyone who asked, no need to be a dick and try to ruin everyone else's dinner.

Eh then maybe the family thinks they said something to offend him. This would probably have been worse.

Let's be honest that there was no great outcome once they got to the point of dinner and this hadn't been talked about.

norm9

I really don't see the issue here.

Guy is uncomfortable with meat, decides to eat somewhere else and explains why. He didn't force anyone to not eat it.

You missed this gem; they're going on a family vacation soon.

Not eating together won't be an option in the short-term. We're all together under the same roof for a family vacation. So I guess the rest of us will just have to eat vegetarian food (he seems to be ok with us eating vegetarian, we don't have to go full vegan) for the rest of the week

Feel free to catch up.

I kinda get it because I do my best not to make my vegan friends feel uncomfortable by chowing down on meat directly in front of them, so I'd say it depends on how they handled it. Were they polite when they walked out or did they stand up and go "I can't possibly fathom how any of you can live with yourselves eating this fish," and storm out? I'm assuming they knew you were having cod ahead of time, so it makes a little less sense.

They were relatively polite.

They didn't go into "I only see Death" mode until after I had questioned him about the behaviour, and if I had kept my mouth shut he probably wouldn't have gone there

Goddamn, one vegan steps out of line and it's open season against them all with some of you. What's with all the hostility and pent up aggression? I've seen way more tired "don't worry they'll tell you" and "mmm BACON" jokes than moral superiority from vegans.

Top Bottom