• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As a lifelong vegetarian, new "vegan converts" like this freak me the fuck out.
Who the hell does this at a family dinner table? Haha. Attention seekers, that's who.

Piggus

He sounds like a real dumbass, but just let him feel morally superior and move on. I'd be hesitant to invite them back though.

Not eating together won't be an option in the short-term. We're all together under the same roof for a family vacation. So I guess the rest of us will just have to eat vegetarian food (he seems to be ok with us eating vegetarian, we don't have to go full vegan) for the rest of the week

Half the fun of vacation is getting to eat whatever you want. Damn.

Eumi

If you sit down at a table and then decide to get up and leave then you're being a dick.

If you just assume that people are going to all abide by your own dietary restrictions, you're being a dick.

Nothing to do with veganism, really.

Faiz

Oh grow up people. These are the kind of stone age attitudes we need to move past. We don't fucking whine about it. We eat what we get. But how fucking nice would you feel if you were invited somewhere, and the table is full of food, and then out on the far corner are a few bowls with the crap you can eat?

It will make you think that maybe we'll just decline next time. It's not like cooking a vegan meal for one day is gonna require a lot from, well, anyone. It's as simple as saying "let's try a vegan lasanga tonight instead of the one we usually make".

How does it make sense to instead make one ordinary lasagna, then maybe one extra lasagna, or maybe not an extra vegan lasagna. The vegans can just eat the lettuce, right? They like that.

How hard is it to understand that cooking a vegan meal is just that, a meal? We're having the vegans over, so let's try a vegan one! It's not like it's dangerous. Heøl, you might even like it.

I would feel extremely grateful that someone went out of their way to accommodate my entirely optional and self-imposed dietary restrictions.

h1nch

Oh grow up people. These are the kind of stone age attitudes we need to move past. We don't fucking whine about it. We eat what we get. But how fucking nice would you feel if you were invited somewhere, and the table is full of food, and then out on the far corner are a few bowls with the crap you can eat?

It will make you think that maybe we'll just decline next time. It's not like cooking a vegan meal for one day is gonna require a lot from, well, anyone. It's as simple as saying "let's try a vegan lasanga tonight instead of the one we usually make".

How does it make sense to instead make one ordinary lasagna, then maybe one extra lasagna, or maybe not an extra vegan lasagna. The vegans can just eat the lettuce, right? They like that.

How hard is it to understand that cooking a vegan meal is just that, a meal? We're having the vegans over, so let's try a vegan one! It's not like it's dangerous. Heøl, you might even like it.

I'm confused by this attitude. Would you not be grateful that someone though enough of you to make a separate meal to accommodate your needs? And vegan bro couldn't even bring himself to eat with the rest of the group? Give me a fucking break.

Being that eating vegan is a lifestyle choice, 100% of the responsibility falls on you. Any level of accommodation should be seen as a courtesy. I would not expect folks to accommodate my keto diet. If I attend a dinner party, I will politely explain that I'm on a restricted diet, and eat just the foods that I'm able to.

Ain't nothing like a vegan thread. Wonder why taking a stance against climate change and the treatment of animals elicits such a response.

But I don't see the responses you'd get for those subjects in this thread.

This is all down to common sense. If you're vegan, you eat vegan food. If you're not, then you might eat meat. Most people on this earth eat meat regardless of the shitty meat industries.

And unless you were born vegan, you must know other people eat meat. If you know this and can't stand to stomach others eating it, then maybe, just maybe, it'd be a good idea to let others know before you sit down and leave because they are consuming what most people on this earth eat.

I'm happy he and others he made the choice to live healthier and be morally clean (in their view) but I sure as hell wouldn't walk out of an all vegan dinner just because there was no meat.

It goes both ways man. I know plenty of vegans. None of them walk out from the dinner table because I'm digging on swine.

sarcastor

Not eating together won't be an option in the short-term. We're all together under the same roof for a family vacation. So I guess the rest of us will just have to eat vegetarian food (he seems to be ok with us eating vegetarian, we don't have to go full vegan) for the rest of the week

That's like me dating a girl who's athiest and then when we go hang out with her religious family, ask them to not pray or quote the bible for the entire week.

andycapps

If I were part of the family, I'd feel pretty disrespected if I invited someone over, knowing their dietary restrictions and made something specific for them only to be given a guilt trip over how I eat. I'm assuming he knew the rest of the family wasn't vegan when he came.

Pinkuss

It goes both ways man. I know plenty of vegans. None of them walk out from the dinner table because I'm digging on swine.

And on the Internet (here in particular); it doesn't go both ways, it's bashing one and general having to defend ourselves on the other.

Logically percentage wise there are shitloads more meat eaters, you see a handful of Vegans being smug, imagine how that ramps up from our side?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Eh then maybe the family thinks they said something to offend him. This would probably have been worse.

Let's be honest that there was no great outcome once they got to the point of dinner and this hadn't been talked about.

Nah, could've said he's not feeling well or that he has to go to the bathroom. Ruining someone's dinner(intentionally) is just unnecessary.

My stepbrother is a holier than thou Vegan who during the holidays would end up bringing his own pots/pans/utensils because he can't eat anything that might once have touched an animal by product.

Korey

Cut him and your sister out of your life completely. Let them know you have no room for that kind of toxicity in your life.

kmfdmpig

Based on the information provided in the OP, I think it would be hard to say that the brother-in-law expects all his whims to be catered to. He was uncomfortable and excused himself. It's not a personal or disrespectful act in and of itself.

Making the point that he couldn't eat around others consuming dead fish was a bit much though, don't you think? I mean the person presumably lives in the real world in which the majority of people eat meat or fish on a daily basis. It sounds like he wanted to assert his perceived moral superiority rather than just quietly wanted to leave a situation he was uncomfortable with.

KoopaTheCasual

Hydrophilic Attack.

This is an important question. Did he honestly "declare" it out loud to the entire table, or did he kinda just look uncomfortable, told you his gripe and then move outside?

If the former, holy shit, he's an asshole. If the latter, that's an awkward situation that would require an annoying amount of handholding.

Piggus

I think it's fair to say that Veganism WORKS PEOPLE UP LIKE NOTHING ELSE.

Like it really gets people's blood boiling "How dare they not eat meat and say it's wrong!"

I'm only vegetarian so I'm only being slightly judgey here (ha), but I think it's because deep down most people realize that the conditions that most animals live in are pure shit and they shouldn't be supporting it, but hey, meat does taste amazing, life is short and who cares...

Just be respectful would go a long way. Like I guarantee some of the people that are straight up making fun of vegans and their lifestyle in here are anti-Trump partly because of his pathetic bullying behavior. Well guess what you are doing.

I have vegan coworkers who are great people with great intent. They're smart enough to know to respect the way people eat without being preachy or pushy, and they get respect in return.

The guy in the OP is a disrespectful prick, so that's what he gets in return.

Sephzilla

Ain't nothing like a vegan thread. Wonder why taking a stance against climate change and the treatment of animals elicits such a response.

xwqw6Xp.gif

how are these things even remotely equatable ?

She's still your sister. Respect her choice of lifestyle, but make it perfectly clear that next time they come to dinner a separate table will be prepared for them, and only for them.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn, one vegan steps out of line and it's open against them all with some of you. What's with all the hostility and pent up aggression? I've seen way more tired "don't worry they'll tell you" and "mmm BACON" jokes than moral superiority from vegans.

People think I'm being morally superior from what I've said so far. And all I'm rrally saying is that I'd very much like for me and my friends/family to enjoy a meal (the same) meal, together.

But as soon as people learn you're vegan, they think you're angry and out to get their bacon. I'm not, I was just sharing my -thoughts- around being at dinners, and people explode like I expect the entire world to follow my every wish.

Which is probably partly my fault. I get enthusiastic about things I care about, and then I word myself quickly, and bam, someone thinks I'm raging.

And don't get me started on the jokes. They're only funny so many times. I heard "meat is murder, tasty murder" for the first time over 20 years ago. I still get told that one like I'm supposed to hear it for the first time.

Bass260

Vegans, the first consumers of almond milk playing the climate change card. That's cute.

Huh, what are you talking about? A plant-based diet is scientifically proven to have a lower carbon footprint than any other diet. It goes a long way in reducing greenhouse gases, deforestation, and destruction to our coral reefs.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He's copying from that youtuber who says ''If you eat with me you eat vegan'' and goes nuts when they don't.
Listen to this.

https://youtu.be/zW-sP98fmNs?t=6m49s

Same thing. Your sis was just more sane about it.

lmao. He's crazy.

You know how you can tell someone is full of themselves? When they label a video on their channel Gary Yourofsky - The Most Important Speech You Will Ever Hear about a speech they gave.

It even continues to the video description they themselves typed about themselves in the third person

An inspirational life-changing speech by Gary Yourofsky, an animal liberation activist, national lecturer on animal rights and veganism, and founder of ADAPTT, a non-profit organization based in the US: http://adaptt.org

Surfinn

My stepbrother is a holier than thou Vegan who during the holidays would end up bringing his own pots/pans/utensils because he can't eat anything that might once have touched an animal by product.
That's pretty.. Smart (making or bringing food). That way no one even has to make a special dish that might not even turn out. Cut some extra work and stress out of the family's schedule

That act alone isn't necessarily "I'm better than you", but I don't know anymore about him.

Huh, what are you talking about? A plant-based diet is scientifically proven to have a lower carbon footprint than any other diet. It goes a long way in reducing greenhouse gases, deforestation, and destruction to our coral reefs.

Yup. While I adore animals, this is what ultimately convinced me to go vegan. The environmental effects of meat production and dairy production are staggering.

Jindrax

Question.

How do you classify being a vegan? Is it belief?

Because if it is him sitting not wanting to sit at a table with peoole with different beliefs is kinda messed up....

Like '' I don't wanna sit at a table with Christians ''

DarkKyo

Putting aside his immaturity and dickishness for a second, why would someone take such a stand against others eating fish?

I can understand getting upset about consuming pig/chicken/stuff that's grown in inhumane conditions, but fish? It likely lived a full life and didn't suffer upon its death, so what's the issue for these people? I totally get not eating fish yourself for your own vegan-based reasons, but to actually get offended at someone else eating fish.. god damn.

oh no won't somebody think of the fishes.. and when that person does think of the fish for a millisecond, it will be more substantial than anything that fish has thought its entire life.

Question.

How do you classify being a vegan? Is it belief?

Because if it is him sitting not wanting to sit at a table with peoole with different beliefs is kinda messed up....

Like '' I don't wanna sit at a table with Christians ''

Eh. I think there are a significant number of posters on this forum who would agree with the statement: "I don't wanna sit at a table with Trump supporters."

And that's fine.

I'd agree with them.

Not that I'm defending OP's brother-in-law here.
Dude's a tool.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

No it's not. A plant-based diet can actually have a larger carbon footprint depending on the plants in question, almonds being one of them. Almonds are one of the most environmentally wasteful foodstuffs you can grow of any kind, plant or animal.

shandy706

Holy shit.

Vacation is when I get to relax my own dietary restrictions for a bit, I sure as fuck am not incorporating someone else's because of some emotional blackmail.

Yeah, no kidding.

My brother and his wife went on vacation with us a couple years ago.

She demanded that they pick all the food to fit their diets and refused to eat anything I picked out.(Note: I paid for the ENTIRE week at the beach house). I still picked some things for myself that they didn't want. At the register my sister-in-law asked the cashier to split the bill 50/50. I literally laughed in disbelief and said "No...do not split that." I couldn't believe she had the nerve...we didn't even discuss that possibility. She stayed pissed the whole week due to me not paying for half of their groceries she demanded we buy. Bought my own food for the whole week the next day.

They're were supposed to pay part of the cost for the rental too before leaving, didn't offer me a dime.

They're not invited anymore unless they pay up front. This year's vacation was great.

I've dealt with this before. More power to them. I think thats fair if they don't want anything touching animal byproduct. My vegan/veggie friends always ask to grill their own stuff before all the meat touches the grill which is nice of them.

I think us meat eaters shouldn't be dicks about it like OPs brother in law. lol

KHarvey16

Eh. I think there are a significant number of posters on this forum who would agree with the statement: "I don't wanna sit at a table with Trump supporters."

And that's fine.

I'd agree with them.

I'd say anyone going to a dinner prepared by their spouse's parents who stands up to let everyone know they won't eat with a Trump supporter and goes outside is also being childish.

You're in my house and you can't even have the respect to eat diner together? Fuck off, you can leave.

If this was somewhere else, I'd say they are acting ridiculous, but won't make a bigger deal about it, not my place then.

Top Bottom