• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Haha, this is the most idiotic, dumbest fucking joke considering meat eaters can't stop cumming bucketloads when anyone even mentions bacon or letting vegans know how delicious they find one meat product or the other even when the vegan isn't particularly outcoming or vocal about his/her choice.

And of course vegans have to mention it. Often they are offered something they can't eat or use due to being vegan and have to give a reason. Most vegans just mention their veganism as a fact about themselves. Far more meatheads are very confrontational about it and will be all "I'm going to go home and eat a 800 gram steak omnomnomnomnomnom and fucking like it", which is far more pathetic than mentioning veganism

But hey, it's obvious most people here have absolutely no convictions they live their life by, at least nothing that would require them to change any habits they have or for them to put in any effort or stuff that cause any inconvenience to them. So continue being massive judgmental assholes towards people who just want a better world with less cruelty.

Haha holy fuck. You don't win friends with salad indeed. Go to your room Lisa.

This is the vegan that makes life hard for all other vegans.

And people like Famassu.

Shredderi

Haha, this is the most idiotic, dumbest fucking joke considering meat eaters can't stop cumming bucketloads when anyone even mentions bacon or letting vegans know how delicious they find one meat product or the other even when the vegan isn't particularly outcoming or vocal about his/her choice.

And of course vegans have to mention it. Often they are offered something they can't eat or use due to being vegan and have to give a reason. Most vegans just mention their veganism as a fact about themselves. Far more meatheads are very confrontational about it and will be all "I'm going to go home and eat a 800 gram steak omnomnomnomnomnom and fucking like it", which is far more pathetic than mentioning veganism

But hey, it's obvious most people here have absolutely no convictions they live their life by, at least nothing that would require them to change any habits they have or for them to put in any effort or stuff that cause any inconvenience to them. So continue being massive judgmental assholes towards people who just want a better world with less cruelty.

Holy shit I almost spit my drink while reading this.

HeySeuss

Makes me wonder how he would cope in a restaurant situation - does everyone have to order vegan?

You'd never be able to go out to eat unless it's a 100% vegan friendly menu. Not to mention how does he function at work where he might have to be offended near daily at a coworker eating McDonald's or even leftovers.

Surfinn

A little strong for my taste, but the truth here will be joked away

Honestly, as many other posters have said, just ignore him. If he wants to be vegan fine, but no need to be so dramatic about it at a family dinner.

Also no need to exacerbate the situation either

And to be fair, I've met so many people when offered vegan food, are super offended and rude, "I'm not eating some bunnyfood, I need proteins, that's not real food" and so on. And it's mostly men, like their whole manhood would be ruined if they eat one meal without meat.

Though I think it was rude too that guy leaving table.

akira28

famassu just reminded me i have some bacon bits in the fridge. I will go enjoy a few supplements of vitamin B(acon).

SomTervo

They? Why is it we're allowed to be talked to this way (shockingly no one talks this way to most adults in person...)

I'm a vegan.

These people were rude and inconsiderate and abandoned their food.

They deserve to have that food eaten.

Edit: that said, there is a definitely "people love to have vegans" vibe in this thread that is pretty inescapable IRL too

This is the vegan that makes life hard for all other vegans.

Precisely

HeySeuss

well he can try to out-baby the vegan dude, or he can be so much the bigger guy that he's not even mad. so magnanimous and on top of the emotional iq that he appreciates their sudden need for fresh air, and hopes they get more than enough of it.

because its not even worth it?

It's not worth it to say something when someone completely disrespects your parents, even after they went out of their way to accommodate him?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

A little strong?!

That post is like the prime example of why people find certain vegans overtly judgemental lunatics.

I say this as someone who dated a Vegan for three years and lived in a hippie town FULL of vegans. I never once had a run in with smug, condescending, petulant little shits like OP's brother in law and Famassu.

Socivol

Haha holy fuck. You don't win friends with salad indeed. Go to your room Lisa.

And people like Famassu.

A+ Simpsons reference! If he had a moral objection he shouldn't have gone for the meal simple as that. No need to be an asshole once you are there because other people are eating something you object to. I have a feeling he didn't expect the rest of the family to eat a vegan meal so why would he be surprised that they had fish?

Jobbs

Banned
How does anyone find out someone is vegan?
They'll tell you

Are you kidding me? lol why are y'all such doormats?

This is a hilarious caricature, but just speaking for myself I tend to not mention my diet choices unless it's unavoidable. I have ethical concerns about the meat industry but as someone who grew up eating meat I understand that it doesn't make you a bad person. I don't hate or judge others for eating meat. The world is complicated.

Incidentally, is there any basis for this caricature? Do you know any vegans who won't shut up about it? Ironically it seems to me that it's more common for people to have a super vocal fascination with meat.

akira28

It's not worth it to say something when someone completely disrespects your parents, even after they went out of their way to accommodate him?

say it after they're gone, and in passing, in exhalation, and with a laugh.

unless you're willing to help start shit. if that's your role then roll.
i mean, you're still trying to accommodate them, but if you want to go all family court and list the transgressions go on.

I think the latter point isn't really cool. We can work for a better good in life or we can be dicks about things? Team mentality as far as I'm concerned is poison.
Precisely. It's a good point to make.

There are people on both sides who are dicks about it.

giphy.gif

Shredderi

Presentation matters. I have two vegan friends who are super cool. They have actually succesfully educated me on the matter when I asked about it and they have for the first time made me seriously think about the long term consequences of meat consuming.

SomTervo

One of two v words that will rack 15 pages in record time

Yup.

Most vegans I know acknowledge that people,eat meat and that's that. They aren't going to spout their views on the subject as a guest unless the hosts or other other guests inquired about it. At least the family was considerate enough to make a balanced meal for the couple, because not everyone does that.
It is difficult and I doubt he would be easily swayed to compromise at a dinner setting if he left trying to make a statement out of it.
I doubt he converted anyone to veganism with his announcement.

Same.

Dehnus

So, I just had a family dinner. My sister and her husband are vegans. The food was delicious oven-baked cod and there were was a vegan alternative for my sister and her husband.

He declared that he would not be able to sit at the same table where dead fish was being consumed and left to eat outside, followed by my sister.

How would you react to this? Would it even be possible to go through life like this? Like, how would you deal with representation dinners as work? Should we as family enable such behaviour? In the real world, such silly behaviour is not acceptable. Your ability to socialize with anyone who is not a vegan would be non-existent.

Sorry, I'm rambling (and a bit upset) and can't really put together a coherent argument. Discuss.

There are principled people with convictions, and there are overzealous religious nut cases.

I'm Vegetarian, and many of my friends are Vegan, I can't be vegan due to an intollerance to lumen and thus it is very hard for me to get a balanced diet without milk products to get my protein (I can't eat beans or peas :( ). But none of my friends would ever be this rude. Seriously this is at religious levels, and sounds more like a recent convert than an actual Vegan person that has been vegan for multiple years.

Please don't let it upset you okay? *hugs tight*.

But please don't give him a "piece of your mind" or start shouting. He'll only escalate the situation further (like most religious nut cases and recent converts do.. and yes early vegans often treat it like a religion rather than a diet, that usually changes with time), and start acting all holier than thou. Your Sister will be in the middle of it all, and you'll look like an idiot.

He sounds like a horrible person who is extremely rude.

Izuna

Banned
I just don't see how someone who is vegan can say "we don't think we have the moral high ground" when otherwise they wouldn't be vegan. Isn't that the whole point?

Sure, we shouldn't be dicks to each other, anyone who talks about why we should be vegan is essentially trying to make us realise that we're guilty for eating meat for whichever reason. Of course, people will jest about it because their opinion is that there's nothing wrong. Their talk of how good meat is is a natural response.

It's like when people are told memes are ruining the internet. They post memes.

The only thing that almost got me was how honey bees are mistreated;( I thought they were human's best friends.

That’s pretty stupid and embarrassing of him. He should be grateful that there is a meal cooked just for his preferences/choice, let alone getting the meal without doing any work for it.

SomTervo

There are principled people with convictions, and there are overzealous religious nut cases.

I'm Vegetarian, and many of my friends are Vegan, I can't be vegan due to an intollerance to lumen and thus it is very hard for me to get a balanced diet without milk products to get my protein (I can't eat beans or peas :( ). But none of my friends would ever be this rude. Seriously this is at religious levels, and sounds more like a recent convert than an actual Vegan person that has been vegan for multiple years.

Please don't let it upset you okay? *hugs tight*.

But please don't give him a "piece of your mind" or start shouting. He'll only escalate the situation further (like most religious nut cases and recent converts do.. and yes early vegans often treat it like a religion rather than a diet, that usually changes with time), and start acting all holier than thou. Your Sister will be in the middle of it all, and you'll look like an idiot.

He sounds like a horrible person who is extremely rude.

Shit, I'm a vegan that can't eat nuts or mushrooms, and it's a struggle sometimes, but that's a whole 'nother level. Beans and peas? Fuck that!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

lol, it's a fucking joke dude

But you know what? I won't apologize, it's funny because, in my experience, it's true. Also I have never met any kind of "LOL u dumb vegan hurr hurr my bacon" thing in real life, ever, just some stupid assholes on the internet (like Maddox back in the day).

But yeesh, way to perpetuate the stereotype of the holier-than-thou vegans by having a complete meltdown over an innocuous joke, I guess?

edit:
Incidentally, is there any basis for this caricature? Do you know any vegans who won't shut up about it?
Yep, all my IRL vegan friends are like that, freely offering this information unsolicited and outside of a context requiring (e.g. a "so what do we eat tonight" conversation). And from common friends I know they post animal rights stuff on social media every single day, making me thankful I'm not big on social media. xD My vegetarian friends are the complete opposite, though.

Morrigan, I mean this in the nicest possible way: You're better than this.
Nah

What difference does it make? When I cook, it's for everyone invited.
Are you serious? One involves health- (and possibly life-) threatening conditions...

Preacher

Would openly proclaim in front of everyone that he never be invited back to your home and then ignore him for the remainder of the stay.
I'm not going to let my brother in law disrespect me and my parents

Vengal

I'll never empathize with this attitude as unlike them I am literally allergic to many kinds of food which even the smell can make me sick. I have never once in my life came to someone's house and bitched at them for preparing food in a manner that would cover all of my issues. I could almost do vegan but I can't do seeds, treenuts, peanuts, or soybeans. So if I came over to a friend's house who was a vegan would I expect them to only prepare dishes without those ingredients in them? If they didn't think to do this ahead of time do I stomp off and make a scene?

This whole situation is insane and if you're the one with the special needs you speak up. I recently went on a family vacation with my wife's family and they love shellfish which is something that the smell wrecks me. Before the trip I asked if they made sure not to bring shellfish and Bam it wasn't brought. If they had made a big deal about bringing it I wouldn't have gone.

akira28

I guess. Different strokes and all that. But I'd have a hard time ever inviting someone who did that to my mom.

well no one said you had to invite them back.

unless you're having kale steaks or something. you know how they act and now you can adapt.

edit: omg the thought of kale steak just makes me angry.

SomTervo

I just don't see how someone who is vegan can say "we don't think we have the moral high ground" when otherwise they wouldn't be vegan. Isn't that the whole point?

Sure, we shouldn't be dicks to each other, anyone who talks about why we should be vegan is essentially trying to make us realise that we're guilty for eating meat for whichever reason.

I love meat. I love cheese. I love milk. I would love to eat these things all the time. I'm glad you enjoy them.

But I'm vegan. I guess I consider it a higher moral ground to not eat these things – but I don't look down on you for not doing it. It's a personal choice. I don't hold it on you.

Besides, everyone's got their own shit. Some people literally cannot be vegan (see the poster above). Eaten carefully and in moderation, meat/cheese is both sustainable and good nutrition. The beef (ha) is mainly with the industry and marketing around meat/dairy, which is why it's an issue at all, rather than the individuals.

Dehnus

You need to check your blood sugar, you seem highly antagonized about someone just stating a fact. Vegetarians and Vegans will mention it, that is a simply stated fact by the person you reply too. Just like someone who doesn't like Fish will mention it politely or someone who is lactose intolerant or someone following the Paleodiet, etc.

Seriously calm down. When you're a guest, like this person, you need to behave. In your own house you can serve Vegan only option. And you can also politely decline without creating such a scene as described by the OP.

Izuna

Banned
I'm not really seeing the issue here.

Perhaps your family could eat vegan once in awhile when your sister and her husband come to eat?

But why?

I mean, it's something myself and my partner would do but in no way should it be required to receive some respect.

If I can deal with a girl pouring Mayonnaise on her white rice, Vegans can share a table with family who cook for them.

I went to a vegans house for thanksgiving once. We had tofurkey. I went and sat in the car after eating it because I was upset by the lack of man protein.

SomTervo

I'm not really seeing the issue here.

Perhaps your family could eat vegan once in awhile when your sister and her husband come to eat?

As a vegan: nah. Like once in a while, i.e. very rarely. But it's fine for them to eat what they want, as long as there's a vegan option.

Presentation matters. I have two vegan friends who are super cool. They have actually succesfully educated me on the matter when I asked about it and they have for the first time made me seriously think about the long term consequences of meat consuming.
Yep, being overjudgemental with holier than thou attitude isn't good in anything. My sister and her boyfriend are vegans, and their laid back but informative attitude about it has made me drop most animal based stuff from my diet. As I think it's better to have even a small change, than just not do nothing, you can make world better place even if you don't go "all-in".

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

Sure, we shouldn't be dicks to each other, anyone who talks about why we should be vegan is essentially trying to make us realise that we're guilty for eating meat for whichever reason.

The only thing that almost got me was how honey bees are mistreated;( I thought they were human's best friends.

We are basically feminists in the eyes of alt-right.

That's usually what it feels like to me whenever veganism pops up on neogaf. Suddenly the entire forum is turned on its head. So the whole moral high ground thing is a fickle beast.

I might think I have the moral high ground on something, but someone else will probably have it on something else. I'm not a better person than you because I'm vegan. For all I know you volunteer and went to war zons to bring aid. That would make you good in my book, even if you should do something (in my eyes) bad by supporting a horrible industry. So it pretty much all evens out.

OPs brother in la might be good for not eating animals, but he doesn't seem like a nice person, so it goes around.

I don't know, man. Maybe when you see a thread full of people complaining about how vegans are self-righteous, rushing in to be as self-righteous as humanly possible isn't the top tier play.

EmiPrime

Pity. You've put yourself on the same level as some nobhead wearing a trilby who made that same joke to me when someone told him I was vegan a few months ago which is why I prefer to keep it to myself: bored of the same tired "lol pushy vegans amirite?!" and "lol bacon" shite people with no social graces can't resist saying when they find out a vegan is in their midst.

Surfinn

A little strong?!

That post is like the prime example of why people find certain vegans overtly judgemental lunatics.

I say this as someone who dated a Vegan for three years and lived in a hippie town FULL of vegans. I never once had a run in with smug, condescending, petulant little shits like OP's brother in law and Famassu.
Well a lot strong, I'll concede, but the points being made are legitimate.

I mean you have people outright admitting they don't give a shit about improving the environment or reducing cruelty because of their pride in the fact that they eat meat.

And I've seen a lot of the same posters condemning others for responding in the exact same way on other subjects.

I'm not a judgey vegetarian (as I ate meat as early as two years ago or so, when I changed my lifestyle) but so many posters bait and ridicule people who don't eat meat because they HATE the idea, like it personally insults their existence. I can recognize that it's really toxic behavior.

Fam went off because.. Well look at the thread. It's full of people trashing vegans just for the sake of doing so. Clearly there's attempts at malice and provocation. I'm not condoning adding fuel to the fire but I get why people get pissed sometimes.

SomTervo

Yep, being overjudgemental with holier than thou attitude isn't good in anything. My sister and his boyfriend are vegans, and their laid back but informative attitude about it has made me drop most animal based stuff from my diet. As I think it's better to have even a small change, than just not do nothing, you can make world bettet place even if you don't go "all-in".

Props to your sist...

*reads bolded*

... wait

I went to a vegans house for thanksgiving once. We had tofurkey. I went and sat in the car after eating it because I was upset by the lack of man protein.

I know, there's like no protein in tofurkey

lol there's loads

Izuna

Banned
I love meat. I love cheese. I love milk. I would love to eat these things all the time. I'm glad you enjoy them.

But I'm vegan. I guess I consider it a higher moral ground to not eat these things – but I don't look down on you for not doing it. It's a personal choice. I don't hold it on you.

Besides, everyone's got their own shit. Some people literally cannot be vegan (see the poster above). Eaten carefully and in moderation, meat/cheese is both sustainable and good nutrition. The beef (ha) is mainly with the industry and marketing around meat/dairy, which is why it's an issue at all, rather than the individuals.

My first post here was me saying I ate a hotdog in front of a go vegan stand (that had free food and pictures of animals). None of them looked at me any type of way and didn't mind me reading the material. I didn't walk away (it's where I was taking my break and I was on a phone call) and I read the material, hot dog in hand. I'm fully aware that most Vegans (every single one I have come across) aren't forcing their beliefs, but on a discussion board, it's not omnivores being dicks because they like to talk about eating meat alongside the subject of eating meat.

There's a difference between attacking someone and proclaiming your beliefs. I only have a problem with the former.

So in which case, my post wasn't directed at you, but one earlier where people couldn't get over the discussion of eating food and how tasty it is.

I don't think the people who have a problem of that are necessarily speaking up because they feel disgusted (how can anyone be so precious?), but because they are low key telling them that they are immoral. That's detected and retaliated against.

I guess, on-topic, if events went the way OP said, those people are jerks.

Top Bottom