• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Shredderi

Yep, being overjudgemental with holier than thou attitude isn't good in anything. My sister and his boyfriend are vegans, and their laid back but informative attitude about it has made me drop most animal based stuff from my diet. As I think it's better to have even a small change, than just not do nothing, you can make world bettet place even if you don't go "all-in".

Yep. I have decreased animal based stuff as well. Not a whole lot but I think on doing a kind of a transition over a longer time, you know? Their attitude to the whole thing is why it worked to make me more aware. I honestly didn't give a fuck about this before.

exhume

Hey OP, please just don't let this bad incident taint your views of vegans. Most of us are pretty chill :)

That being said if someone ripped open a can of tuna right next to me I'd probably leave too

For every bitching and moaning vegan at a meat dinner, there's a bitching and moaning meat eater at a vegan dinner. I mean just look at all the complaining at the "disgusting meatless burgers" and whatever the fuck kale steaks are, etc, that happens in literally every online discussion of vegetarianism/Veganism. There's a reason why vegans feel like they have to be more defensive. Their beliefs are basically pounded on all day every day.

They made suitable food for him though, showing more appreciation and acceptance than most, so he should have been respectful and reasonable. It's impossible to completely avoid being around meat eating, you gotta put yourself above it, not push yourself away from it and shun yourself.

Dehnus

Shit, I'm a vegan that can't eat nuts or mushrooms, and it's a struggle sometimes, but that's a whole 'nother level. Beans and peas? Fuck that!

Well, I guess it is possible, but then my daily meal would be extremely expensive and difficult to remain varied and sustainable. Keep in mind I work out 2.5 hours everyday, so I do need plenty of protein to sustain that regiment (It is a hobby, I know and I could give it up, but I enjoy the social aspect of the gym and pushing my boundaries further and further).

And that is the main issue, I don't drink tons of milk everyday or something, but cheese is good protein. So some days I eat broccoli, plus veggies and fruit, and other days there is more cheese involved or a nice yoghurt :).

Izuna

Banned
We are basically feminists in the eyes of alt-right.

That's usually what it feels like to me whenever veganism pops up on neogaf. Suddenly the entire forum is turned on its head. So the whole moral high ground thing is a fickle beast.

I might think I have the moral high ground on something, but someone else will probably have it on something else. I'm not a better person than you because I'm vegan. For all I know you volunteer and went to war zons to bring aid. That would make you good in my book, even if you should do something (in my eyes) bad by supporting a horrible industry. So it pretty much all evens out.

OPs brother in la might be good for not eating animals, but he doesn't seem like a nice person, so it goes around.

For me personally, regardless of what my beliefs are (I don't think the food industry is great) -- I wouldn't become Vegan because I'm not convinced it is sustainable/realistic for everyone in the world to become Vegan.

I'd rather buy Happy Eggs than no eggs.

Hey OP, please just don't let this bad incident taint your views of vegans. Most of us are pretty chill :)

That being said if someone ripped open a can of tuna right next to me I'd probably leave too

You and me both. I used to eat Tuna from a can but that shit is an abomination and insulting to how good it is usually.

(like, for real, canned Tuna is insulting)

boiled goose

good with gravy
We are basically feminists in the eyes of alt-right.

That's usually what it feels like to me whenever veganism pops up on neogaf. Suddenly the entire forum is turned on its head. So the whole moral high ground thing is a fickle beast.

I might think I have the moral high ground on something, but someone else will probably have it on something else. I'm not a better person than you because I'm vegan. For all I know you volunteer and went to war zons to bring aid. That would make you good in my book, even if you should do something (in my eyes) bad by supporting a horrible industry. So it pretty much all evens out.

OPs brother in la might be good for not eating animals, but he doesn't seem like a nice person, so it goes around.

The problem with veganism is that it is mostly an emotionally justified argument.

I get the issues with red meat.
I get the issues with dairy products.

Not eating an oyster is strange though. Perfectly sustainable.

Gloggins

I completely understand that he doesn't want to be around a victim of animal agriculture - but was he not aware non-vegan was going to be served? Could he not have discussed this beforehand rather than making a scene?

But hey, it's obvious most people here have absolutely no convictions they live their life by, at least nothing that would require them to change any habits they have or for them to put in any effort or stuff that cause any inconvenience to them. So continue being massive judgmental assholes towards people who just want a better world with less cruelty.

someone struck a nerve lol

SomTervo

The problem with veganism is that it is mostly an emotionally justified argument.

The bolded: complete bollocks.

The issues entirely revolve around quantity and turnaround of meat/dairy production that is 1. unsustainable, 2 vastly damaging to the planet and 3. literally the most wasteful industry/product market in existence (look up how many litres of water is wasted per litre of cow milk. That's not even the tip of the iceberg). It's literally nothing to do with emotion. I'd eat meat and dairy all the time if I could. These industries cause as much, if not more, environmental damage than total transport pollution of all types combined (and that's not even including all the factors and secondary environmental damage).

But yeah, there are absolutely some meats that are more sustainable and basically not problematic.

I, for one, welcome out near-future bug-filled diets with open arms.

What I never understood was, why do some people think they're superior for eating a vegan diet, over me eating a nice cut of meat?

Now, I hate to be "that guy", but from the few vegans I've met in my life, they don't seem like they'd be superior at anything.

EmiPrime

I have far fewer ethical concerns re oysters than I do say, chicken. I never liked fruit de mer even before I was vegan but if I had to eat oysters to survive in one of those silly hypothetical moral scenarios people like to pose, I wouldn't be too torn up about it.

But why?

I mean, it's something myself and my partner would do but in no way should it be required to receive some respect.

I never said it was required but I really don't see the big deal in the family recognising that the sister and her husband obviously feel strongly about this and cooking a cruelty free meal every once in awhile.

Nor do I see a big deal with them not wanting to sit at the table while the rest of the family partake in something they find morally objectionable.

As far as I'm aware he didn't berate them or "try to force his beliefs on them" which is the common rallying cry against vegans so who cares?

SomTervo

What I never understood was, why do some people think they're superior for eating a vegan diet, over me eating a nice cut of meat?

Now, I hate to be "that guy", but from the few vegans I've met in my life, they don't seem like they'd be superior at anything.

The post right above yours has a very tiny and reference-less thumbnail description of why.

I can't fault anyone for not wanting their meal ruined just by odor alone. I've had to peace out from meals because of chitlins. Then again, I haven't eaten at the dinner table with family since I was, maybe, 9. I wouldn't even flinch at someone leaving the room with their food.

Edit: Ahh, fuck. This is one of those threads where I feel like an ass for responding in earnest.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Haha, this is the most idiotic, dumbest fucking joke considering meat eaters can't stop cumming bucketloads when anyone even mentions bacon or letting vegans know how delicious they find one meat product or the other even when the vegan isn't particularly outcoming or vocal about his/her choice.

And of course vegans have to mention it. Often they are offered something they can't eat or use due to being vegan and have to give a reason. Most vegans just mention their veganism as a fact about themselves. Far more meatheads are very confrontational about it and will be all "I'm going to go home and eat a 800 gram steak omnomnomnomnomnom and fucking like it", which is far more pathetic than mentioning veganism

But hey, it's obvious most people here have absolutely no convictions they live their life by, at least nothing that would require them to change any habits they have or for them to put in any effort or stuff that cause any inconvenience to them. So continue being massive judgmental assholes towards people who just want a better world with less cruelty.
Damn, sounds like you could really use a burger.

SomTervo

I can't fault anyone for not wanting their meal ruined just by odor alone. I've had to peace out from meals because of chitlins. Then again, I haven't eaten at the dinner table with family since I was, maybe, 9. I wouldn't even flinch at someone leaving the room with their food.

Had to look "chitlins" up

... whoa

Izuna

Banned
I never said it was required but I really don't see the big deal in the family recognising that the sister and her husband obviously feel strongly out this and cooking a cruelty free meal every once in awhile.

Nor do I see a big deal with them not wanting to sit at the table while the rest of the family partake in something they find morally objectionable.

As far as I'm aware he didn't berate them or "try to force his beliefs on them" which is the common rallying cry against vegans so who cares?

If you don't see how incredibly precious and rude that person is being, and think further accommodations should instead be made (especially since they were gunna go on holiday) then we just can't agree.

Bae cooked a Vegetarian meal, spent hours doing so and missed half a house party we had because of it and the people we cooked for were so profusely grateful that we struggled to turn down their offerings. We had a good time, she had a new experience, and no one was a dick because they didn't wanna sit with friends/family and remind them that they think it's morally unjustifiable to eat fish...

Mephala

I mean, if you're vegan on a moral basis, that seems fair enough.

Like, would you sit at a table where they're carving up a whole golden retriever like a Christmas ham?

If someone is consuming food at our table that upsets me for whatever reasons and I choose to leave I would at least have the courtesy to apologise and excuse myself rather than tantrum exit like a child. Certainly a little more effort if it was my family or my potentially future family.

norm9

Not the least bit insulted? If my mom cooked a nice family meal and my bro in law or sis in law (both are good people) walked up and out, I'd be pissed because it's extremely insulting. It downplays the host's work and effort in making the meal for them. Just walking out even without saying anything would be a slap to my family's face. When we have family dinners, my mom still makes seafood. Im not a seafood person but I'm not walking out because Nemo sitting there.

Had to look "chitlins" up

... whoa

Watch the comedy show Hood Adjacent on amazon prime. It's got a funny segment on chittelrings.

Desperado

Why do some (many) people think they're superior for eating meat? Why do so many non-vegans need to tell me how much better their life is than mine because they eat meat/dairy?

I'd apologize for my insensitivity and explain that we will make vegan-friendly meals in the future, or just not plan dinners with this family member at all. Just schedule get-togethers before or after dinner. No reason for you to be offended though. You eat how you eat, they eat how they eat.

Izuna

Banned
Why do some (many) people think they're superior for eating meat? Why do so many non-vegans need to tell me how much better their life is than mine because they eat meat/dairy?

They feel like they are lucky they don't have to worry about such things.

It's like people who say they can't tell between 30fps and 60fps.

I'd apologize for my insensitivity and explain that we will make vegan-friendly meals in the future, or just not plan dinners with this family member at all. Just schedule get-togethers before or after dinner. No reason for you to be offended though. You eat how you eat, they eat how they eat.

Your avatar is a bunny eating... chicken?

lol, it's a fucking joke dude

But you know what? I won't apologize, it's funny because, in my experience, it's true. Also I have never met any kind of "LOL u dumb vegan hurr hurr my bacon" thing in real life, ever, just some stupid assholes on the internet (like Maddox back in the day).

But yeesh, way to perpetuate the stereotype of the holier-than-thou vegans by having a complete meltdown over an innocuous joke, I guess?
Of course there is truth behind the joke. As Famassu said, a vegan has to say they are vegan in order to not being served animal products.

And of course it is only a joke, but hearing even little jokes on veganism gets tiresome after a while. Contrarily to you, I encounter joking, ignorant or even ridiculing behaviour from meat eaters towards vegans or vegetarians constantly. And I eat meat myself.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Haha, this is the most idiotic, dumbest fucking joke considering meat eaters can't stop cumming bucketloads when anyone even mentions bacon or letting vegans know how delicious they find one meat product or the other even when the vegan isn't particularly outcoming or vocal about his/her choice.

And of course vegans have to mention it. Often they are offered something they can't eat or use due to being vegan and have to give a reason. Most vegans just mention their veganism as a fact about themselves. Far more meatheads are very confrontational about it and will be all "I'm going to go home and eat a 800 gram steak omnomnomnomnomnom and fucking like it", which is far more pathetic than mentioning veganism

I can't help but imagine the person behind this diatribe as this GIF

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'd sit there stunned because that's some serious bullshit. He's being overly awkward when you already went out of your way to accommodate him. Next time just toss him a bag of Pretzels.

If you don't see how incredibly precious and rude that person is being, and think further accommodations should instead be made (especially since they were gunna go on holiday) then we just can't agree.

Bae cooked a Vegetarian meal, spent hours doing so and missed half a house party we had because of it and the people we cooked for were so profusely grateful that we struggled to turn down their offerings. We had a good time, she had a new experience, and no one was a dick because they didn't wanna sit with friends/family and remind them that they think it's morally unjustifiable to eat fish...
I really don't understand the point you're making.

You and your partner cooked a vegetarian meal and your guests were grateful therefore this family shouldn't cook a vegetarian meal? What?

Nobody left the table because you cooked a vegetarian meal. Well no shit sherlock. Pretty sure if this family had done what you did, this situation never would have occured either.

Wamb0wneD

To be clear: I didn't make the food myself. We were invited to my parents' place

it's pretty impolite of them, that's for sure. Don't know how good your relationship is, if its good enough tell them. If there wasn't an alternative ready for them i could understand but in this case they were being dicks to everyone else.

i like steak

Izuna

Banned
I really don't understand the point you're making.

You and your partner cooked a vegetarian meal and your guests were grateful therefore this family shouldn't cook a vegetarian meal? What?

Nobody left the table because you cooked a vegetarian meal. Well no shit sherlock. Pretty sure if this family had done what you did, this situation never would have occured either.

She cooked a vegetarian meal and one with fish. We all ate what we wanted together.

The point is, OP's brother in law should be appreciative of the accommodation and not act like a renegade teenager.

People are allowed to stick to their moral principles. If his most deeply held moral beliefs dictate that he should not be present for the meal, I don't see the problem. (It's all fine and well to say that we should all be tolerant and compromising, but that's normally something we say when we want others to be tolerant and compromising with regard to us. If my most deeply held moral beliefs were on the line, I wouldn't compromise.)

At the same time, no one has any obligation to like, get along with, befriend, or hang out with anyone else. If you fundamentally disagree about moral matters, you'll probably not be great party chums. No biggie.

The family thing is the only reason this feels awkward. It's hard not hang out with your family.

Was he a dick about it? Or was he stating and simply sticking to his moral beliefs?
Because that's .. reasonable?

Taking the belief to an extreme, yeah, in my opinion certainly.
I'd certainly be hurt if it suddenly came up and you weren't warned of this "policy" in advance, but I guess it's not easy for him and your sister either?

The bolded: complete bollocks.

The issues entirely revolve around quantity and turnaround of meat/dairy production that is 1. unsustainable, 2 vastly damaging to the planet and 3. literally the most wasteful industry/product market in existence (look up how many litres of water is wasted per litre of cow milk. That's not even the tip of the iceberg). It's literally nothing to do with emotion. I'd eat meat and dairy all the time if I could. These industries cause as much, if not more, environmental damage than total transport pollution of all types combined (and that's not even including all the factors and secondary environmental damage).

But yeah, there are absolutely some meats that are more sustainable and basically not problematic.

I, for one, welcome out near-future bug-filled diets with open arms.

The "meat=murder" argument is emotional. The argument surrounding the production of meats and climate change is logical. My GF is a vegetarian because of the ethics regarding climate change. I understand and am sympathetic to the cause, so I don't really eat meat when I'm home and cooking with my GF.

Randam

Why would you even go to a dinner, where meat will be consumed and than make a scene?

Or Was that his intention?

Guy sounds like a douchebag, my brother in law who is a vegan invited us to a BBQ for the 4th at his house and he ate his vegan food alongside us like a normal human being.

Top Bottom