• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

SomTervo

The "meat=murder" argument is emotional. The argument surrounding the production of meats and climate change is logical. My GF is a vegetarian because of the ethics regarding climate change. I understand and am sympathetic to the cause, so I don't really eat meat when I'm home and cooking with my GF.

Yes, but the person I was responding to literally said "veganism is [only] emotionally justified". Which is bullshit. As you just said, it is always logical, and sometimes emotional depending on the person.

Veganism != "meat is murder", although it can include that.

No one is judging you if you like little cum. That can usually wait until after the meal though.

PpV5av8.jpg

is this vegan approved

Yes, but the person I was responding to literally said "veganism is [only] emotionally justified". Which is bullshit. As you just said, it is always logical, and sometimes emotional depending on the person.

Ah, I guess I missed that. I agree with you.

The fuck, that's so odd. None of my vegan friends care if anybody around them eats meat. I don't know how you can get through life otherwise.

KayMote

The hatred and passive-aggressiveness in this thread are beyond laughable.

I'm honestly curious about how anyone can NOT see that a vegan diet is morally far superior? Not killing a living thing that can feel pain and trying to not fuck up our planet seems "objectively" better to me and I don't know what's there to argue about.

And I'm saying this as someone who is not vegan - I'm too lazy and too inconsequential for that (right now), but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize that a vegan diet should probably be the way people should enjoy their food in the grand scheme of things.

I'm honestly curious about how anyone can NOT see that a vegan diet is morally far superior? Not killing a living thing that can feel pain and trying to not fuck up our planet seems "objectively" better to me and I don't know what's there to argue about.

And I'm saying this as someone who is not vegan - I'm too lazy and too inconsequential for that (right now), but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize that a vegan diet should probably be the way people should enjoy their food in the grand scheme of things.

Uhh, because the family went out of their way to give them a vegan alternative and they were assholes about it? Being around someone who's eating meat isn't going to make the animal any more dead than it already is lol.

Nafai1123

Banned

Having a morally superior diet doesn't excuse you from being disrespectful and rude.

hobozero

Enh, boiled goose said "The problem with veganism is that it is mostly an emotionally justified argument." You misquoted "mostly" to "only".

Izuna

Banned

I'm not convinced it is morally superior. Climate stuff is one thing, but it's not as if plants don't do their utmost to protect themselves from death also.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Who the hell gets invited to a family gathering with your wife's family, gets given vegan only food and then still walks out? This guy sounds like a royal prick.

barbecube

I mean, I didn't read the whole thread here, but obviously if you come into someone's house, refuse the food they specially prepared to meet your idiosyncratic preferences, and insulted the hosts and entire family in the process, you don't get invited back.

Give him one more chance to behave like a civilized person, inform him of the parameters of civil behavior, and if he doesn't boss up and start acting better, start explicitly disinviting him to things. Then the ball's in his court to patch things up.

border

What a jackass. How old is he? Sounds like something a defiant teenager would do.

To your knowledge does he behave the same way at other social meals? Does he demand a vegan table at a wedding reception? Would he walk out on a dinner party or a Thanksgiving meal as well?

catmincer

As someone who is trying to go fully vegetarian I would not care or judge. It's my personal choice on how I eat and not my place to tell others. He's just a sanctimonious jerk.

ThisGuy

I make fun of people like that. I use insensitive humor to normalize someone's actions if they're far from what is socially acceptable.

I would tease him every moment I got.

bryehn

Sounds like a dick. If he had said he couldn't eat the meal because it was prepared in the same kitchen, etc., he'd still be kind of a dick but at least have a valid reason to leave the table.

TBH I skimmed the OP...did dude actually take the free (and frankly thoughtful) meal outside and eat that shit?

ironmang

I'm not really seeing the issue here.

Perhaps your family could eat vegan once in awhile when your sister and her husband come to eat?

I think even preparing secondary options to meet their diet choices is going above and beyond. Suggesting the host only prepares vegan food and expect everybody to eat it is kind of absurd.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Really don't know what this has to do with the OP though...they left the table for other reasons. If you are trying to find a nice way to say your food sucks I don't think using the excuse that a fish is being consumed at the same table as you, is your go to excuse.

Sometime those little things build up, the fish could just be the breaking point.

i don't care if it's vegans shaming meat-eaters, or vice versa - this is awful behavior. [especially since it was just fish, like holy hell calm down]

what a dick.

vegans are the worst

counter-point - butthurt / sensitive meat-eaters are the worst.

actual point - anybody who shames another person for their nutritional choices is a dick.

i fucking hate this "vegans are the worst" shit from meat-eaters - although i see where it comes from [all the holier than thou vegan shits].

Thinking about it again I'd have made a bacon sandwich and followed them out to the garden with it, maybe its dickish but its less dickish than they were

Izuna

Banned

Plants have "code" in their DNA for survival just as much as pain is a survival technique. They all make an effort to survive. I don't believe plants grow and "live" to be eaten at their own volition any more than animals do.

--

meat-eaters sounds coded

Nafai1123

Banned
For a family meal once in awhile? No, not really absurd at all.

Family meals typically happen during holidays, so you're basically saying it's not absurd to relegate all common holiday meals to vegan only. No more turkey, no more egg-nogg, no more ham, no more gravy, etc etc.

Thats....pretty absurd imo.

Top Bottom