• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

SomTervo

Yeah, usually I can see where people are coming from but that just sounds insane.

At least people that eat meat because they like the taste more than they care about animal welfare/the environmental impact it has make sense.

That argument on the other hand sounds like an extremely contrived way to justify why you're eating meat.

Deffo. And for the record: i love the taste of meat/dairy.

It is my opinion you have a very low opinion of the purpose and struggle of plants and over-exaggeration of the "suffering" a jellyfish may have.

You don't have to call me insane for not having the same conclusion.

Sorry, but i think i can. Research on fish feeling pain is still out unfortunately. Not as clear cut as bugs and plants. (Who don't. Lol.)

Funny thing: you know what does the most damage to plant life and ecologies on the planet? The meat industry! Woo hoo!

Izuna

Banned
I'll come back tomorrow but that's a serious shift of goal posts.

And yes the point is to re-normalise culture over time. By which point we'll probably already be dead from climate change/war/whatever, but yes, obviously the entire planet cannot magically become vegan overnight.

And yes, synthesised meat/dairy (and imo easily farmable insects - ie not bees) are completely fine. Many vegans disagree with me on the insect thing.

I appreciate you allowing me to humour you with my thoughts. I think what I want to get into is scientific and I believe our differences in opinion are based on researched topics, so it would make sense for me to take the time to research and cite instead of come up with a bunch of other reasons why "yeah animals feel pain but I can love them, not want to hurt them, and not feel guilty eating them".

McLovin

I actually wouldn't mind giving up meat if insects was an option. As long as it tastes good I don't care(had a cricket chocolate shake once and it was delicious). Plus the high protein is a nice plus. I'm also cool with giving up milk since almond milk/cashu milk tastes better to me anyway. I don't mess with soy though.
Is there such a thing as an insectivore/vegan diet?

Izuna

Banned
Sorry, but i think i can. Research on fish feeling pain is still out unfortunately. Not as clear cut as bugs and plants. (Who don't. Lol.)

Funny thing: you know what does the most damage to plant life and ecologies on the planet? The meat industry! Woo hoo!

You stopped at "nervous system" for feeling pain. Some water life don't have that. If your stop gap is suffering in this sense, then rationally there should be some fish that you should permit yourself to eat discounting reasons such as unsustainability.

Besides, it should be logical to allow side-stepping by killing animals that get to live a "happy life" if their death causes no pain.

Izuna

Banned
To add to this, not all are vegans for ethical reasons. And there are also many who believe that meat is simply an unnecessary food when technology has made alternative options much more affordable than meat.

Of course. But those aren't the people who are writing "murder" on McDonald's adverts and talking about the morality.

What people actually eat doesn't concern or offend me. Everyone on NeoGAF could all decide to eat Kiwi and there's still gunna be left for me :)

nynt9

Deffo. And for the record: i love the taste of meat/dairy.

There is some work that questions whether plants do feel something analogous to pain or not. Depending on your definition, they may.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/12/23/131223fa_fact_pollan
http://www.plantbehavior.org/neuro.html
http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/features/062208/do-plants-have-brains
https://www.lifeadvancer.com/plants-feel-pain-research-emotions
https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01...may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-and-respond

You can follow the links at the articles to the sourced studies.

If It was possible I could easily eat only insects, the only meat I eat is chicken and fish, I hate pork and I only eat beef when I eat steak.

If It was possible I could easily eat only insects, the only meat I eat is chicken and fish, I hate pork and I only eat beef when I eat steak.

Insects are tasty the problem is that western companies trying to push insects as a product haven't learned that the west doesn't want products to look how they did when it was alive. People freak out when a chicken comes with its head and feet attached, never mind if it still has its giblets. A lot of people get creeped out by most insects they need to market it in the same manner as quorn or similar products they would probably be successful.

I don't understand how you didn't know your brother in law would act like this?

Also, I don't think I'd be that bothered by it. I'd be kind of impressed by his dedication, he's not gonna make many friends like that.

Insects are tasty the problem is that western companies trying to push insects as a product haven't learned that the west doesn't want products to look how they did when it was alive. People freak out when a chicken comes with its head and feet attached, never mind if it still has its giblets. A lot of people get creeped out by most insects they need to market it in the same manner as quorn or similar products they would probably be successful.
If I could buy insects at Walmart for example I could easily drop meat, I haven't tried insects but I'm curious and since already eat shrimp and other sea stuff I'm more open to stuff.

Also thanks to the great variety of those little fuckers I think it would be impossible to find something that I don't like.

Izuna

Banned

Do you have pork merely because of taste? Are you American? Because afaik their use of pork is awful.

Come to Europe one day :D

Izuna

Banned
If I could buy insects at Walmart for example I could easily drop meat, I haven't tried insects but I'm curious and since already eat shrimp and other sea stuff I'm more open to stuff.

Also thanks to the great variety of those little fuckers I think it would be impossible to find something that I don't like.

You can start with Honeypot Ants

They look incredible

hqdefault.jpg

I can't believe the kinds of replies in this thread. Yea sure he may be acting a little overboard, but why not just talk about it with them? I'm sure having a conversation about it is more difficult than locking them out, or not talking to them, or never inviting them back, or mocking someone's lifestyle. I'm not a vegan, but it seems like they get a ton of extra hate because of their beliefs. He family, why not talk to them. Once you come to an understanding, then you can mock your sister and BIL.

Edit- forgot to add, if it was fish filets that's way overreacting, but still can try to talk about it. If it was a whole fish that needed to be cut up, shit I don't think I would even want to be around that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I probably would have LOLed and ate my food.

Chuckle, "what a dick....", continue eating. I mean what else can you do when someone is that rude and you don't want to cause a massive scene over it.

You can start with Honeypot Ants

They look incredible

hqdefault.jpg
Since I watched a documentary about them I have always dreamed about eating them haha

Do you have pork merely because of taste? Are you American? Because afaik their use of pork is awful.

Come to Europe one day :D
I live in Mexico, my stomach doesn't like pork for some reason, it makes me ill for some reason, when I was young I could eat carnitas all day but not anymore :(

Piscus

I have trouble understanding why he refuses to accept everyone else's eating habits, but then expects everyone to conform to his (by being "okay" with you all suddenly eating vegetarian)...

He was being pretty rude, but I wouldn't escalate it like some people are suggesting. Giving up meat for a week is not the end of the world if it's for family, but I would at least expect an apology.

Alienfan

Seems fair enough. He politely left. Some people are sickened by the thought of others eating dead things. Given the huge impact that fishing, and farming animals has on climate change, more people shouldn't be okay with it.

Has OP been back lately? He said the family was going to eat vegetarian the rest of their vacation to accommodate the vegan and they would've had to have had another meal by now.

Curious what he ended up eating.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
prima donna

effectively discredited vegetarianism and veganism to the rest of the table. unreasonable people do not make their lifestyle seem manageable or attractive to others.

Zoe

Has OP been back lately? He said the family was going to eat vegetarian the rest of their vacation to accommodate the vegan and they would've had to have had another meal by now.

Curious what he ended up eating.

I assumed OP was in Europe since he posted about dinner in the middle of the (US) day.

How about the guest respect the host while on the host's turn?

Especially when the host went out of the way to accommodate the dietary restrictions.

Doubly so when you are hookup up with the host's daughter.
For the first time in my life I agree with Diablos

I also laughed when I read the op and my gfis vegetarian and her sister is vegan

I would have laughed, then ate my meal. I certainly wouldn't be eating fucking vegan the rest of the trip. But, you're apprently nicer people than I am.

I'd just shrug my shoulders and continue tucking into my delicious cooked dead animal. People get that dramatic to get attention or make you feel guilty above all else. It was like this hardcore vegan acquintance of one of my friends who was making gagging and wretching noises when I was eating a steak once, I just said "Go outside if you're going to throw up" and kept eating the fuck out of that steak. She got preeetty pissy and stormed out after that.

Doran902

Sounds young, attention seeking, arrogant and idealistic, I know a couple of vegans and one of them was like this in her late teens / early twenties but now shes really chill about it. If a meal was specifically prepared knowing someone has a different need that is usually enough for most people to be grateful. Why come to a dinner at someones house if you aren't going to have dinner with them, dude likely was expecting you all to eat vegan together or something. Maybe he asked your sister beforehand "hey is it vegan food?" and she thought he meant all vegan food and not just for them.

The Mule

I'm all for veganism and making ethical eating choices (though I'm not strictly a vegan myself), but what the OP described is simply rude.

My response to that would be to not let the door hit you on the way out.

People get that dramatic to get attention above all else.

Yep. Which is why I wouldn't say or do shit. My rule is to always ignore people when they do goofy shit for attention like this. And if they did it again, I'd do the same. Completely ignore it. I'd laugh to myself about it when he walked away. But, I wouldn't say shit to him or my sister about it, because that is giving them the attention they want, thereby teaching them that childish behavior works.

Replicant

OP, the alternative is to offer your brother-in-law and sister an earlier dinner time for the two of them so they can eat without being disturbed by the sight of dead animal on plate. Then the rest of you eat later on as usual with the usual meal.

Sure, it defeats the idea of having dinner together but if they are that petty what choice do you have if you still want to include them in the festivities and events? Be the better person and if they still refuse and insist on you not eating meat instead then you have no choice but not to invite them.

OP you missed an opportunity

you should have walked out with your family in a macarena line going all around them like

YOU DON'T WIN FRIENDS WITH SALAD!

YOU DON'T WIN FRIENDS WITH SALAD!

Oxn

Yep. Which is why I wouldn't say or do shit. My rule is to always ignore people when they do goofy shit for attention like this. And if they did it again, I'd do the same. Completely ignore it. I'd laugh to myself about it when he walked away. But, I wouldn't say shit to him or my sister about it, because that is giving them the attention they want, thereby teaching them that childish behavior works.

You think just like me.

I would just chuckle and continue eating.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It's inconsiderate and rude. He should have arranged to come after dinner instead of acting out like that. Completely unacceptable because completely avoidable

& yeah, I'd just lock the door and go back to eating. talk to the sister in a day or so

riotous

Banned
No almond tit - no almond milk.

It's almond juice.

The "first definition" of juice is the liquid from pressed vegetables or fruit. So in your little narrow view of language, you are, wrong since an almond is a seed not a fruit.

So both "almond milk" and "almond juice" don't fit the "first definition" of milk or juice. But we know what "almond milk" is meant to mean because.. language isn't about pure technicality, it's about communication. But "almond milk" is a better way to communicate the liquid produced using almonds than "almond juice" would be, because it contains fat and protein and culinarily is more like milk than juice.

The Mule

The "first definition" of juice is the liquid from pressed vegetables or fruit. So in your little narrow view of language, you are, wrong since an almond is a seed not a fruit.

So both "almond milk" and "almond juice" don't fit the "first definition" of milk or juice. But we know what "almond milk" is meant to mean because.. language isn't about pure technicality, it's about communication. But "almond milk" is a better way to communicate the liquid produced using almonds than "almond juice" would be, because it contains fat and protein and culinarily is more like milk than juice.
Heh, great response to a dumb post.

Top Bottom