• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Wouldn't really acknowledge them.

They've had a meal catered to them provided, if they want to eat it outside then they can feel free. Next time they come over I'd do the same thing, if they want to eat by themselves outside again then they can go for it.

I don't need to follow your diet, especially if I've already gone out of my way to prepare a second dish just for you.

Actually you know what, I would acknowledge them. I'd take offence that they didn't appreciate my hospitality and say that if they can't act like an adult I won't invite them a second time.

As long as he left the table while not being provoked by questioning his diet choices or whatever, he is the asshole here. Vegans should expect that not a lot of people have their diets. If I was a vegan and the sight of meat or fish will drive me to leave the room, I would make sure we are only having vegan food before going to that dinner. I don't think from the OP that his brother-in-law was expecting a vegan table. He was expecting regular food hence meat is highly likely. It's just rude to claim the higher moral ground when he is behaving like this.

The Mule

KTy08zD.jpg

You don't even get to a vegan foodstuff until the 9th item on the list..

It's also worth noting the difference in CO2 kg equivalent, rather than just the ranking.

It's a massive difference.

0lQDTpS.png

Family meals typically happen during holidays, so you're basically saying it's not absurd to relegate all common holiday meals to vegan only. No more turkey, no more egg-nogg, no more ham, no more gravy, etc etc.

Thats....pretty absurd imo.
Again, supporting you family by walking in their shoes every once in awhile is no big deal.

We've done vegan christmas and easter in our family a couple of times to be more inclusive of certain family members and nobody pitched a fit.

If you're not willing to do that, fine, but don't be surprised if that person chooses to calmly remove themselves from the situation.

This would be a huge dick move but man, the vegans in this thread are shook over it lol. Some Game of Thrones shit.

I've actually done this before..

My wife's sister's husband was vegetarian and they had all these demands when he was coming over for thanksgiving dinner.

Cooked collard greens with smoked turkey. Cornbread with Lard. Country style corn in bacon grease. Turkey and stuffing mixed with Chorizo.

Plated meal looked meat free and he loved it. Said it was best Thanksgiving Dinner he's had in his entire life.

A win for the meat eaters.

Servbot24

Banned
Just browsed this thread - vegan here, but didn't realize almonds have a high carbon footprint. Guess I should cut back on them?

Fortunately, all the vegetarians/vegans I know are not dick or dickettes. They just ask what's meat free and then grab that. Or they make the necessary arrangements.

My wife's sister's husband was vegetarian and they had all these demands when he was coming over for thanksgiving dinner.

Cooked collard greens with smoked turkey. Cornbread with Lard. Country style corn in bacon grease. Turkey and stuffing mixed with Chorizo.

Plated meal looked meat free and he loved it. Said it was best Thanksgiving Dinner he's had in his entire life.

This is good fanfic.

Zabka

A longterm vegan eating all that animal fat would probably be able to fly home on a jetstream of diarrhea.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
"Here is a vegan alternative that we went out of our way to prepare for you."

"FUCK YOU AND YOUR FISH EATING HERESY"

Oxirane

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I assume he was just upset that not everyone was eating vegan.
Next time just seat him at a separate table near the main table.
Its size, height, positioning and hilariousness is up to you.

Surfinn

Sounds very plausible!

A longterm vegan eating all that animal fat would probably be able to fly home on a jetstream of diarrhea.

Yeah he wasn't, it was some recent BS he just started maybe 6 months prior because he likes to do random shit just to test his discipline....whatever I don't respect that shit lol.

Still doesn't know to this day and every time he brings up that dinner it cracks me up inside.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Clearly...

I get that you think you're really cool and elevated and all that, but instead of purposely avoiding answering me, could you stop being an ass and just tell me why it's so insane that if I have anyone over with diet restrictions, I cook a mal that everyone can eat?

highrider

Banned
I wouldn't pay any attention to it at all. Just kind of be casual, offer to make arrangements to eat separately if it makes them happy. If there is an ulterior reasoning for them removing themselves it's really not worth the headache, especially on vacation.

Just browsed this thread - vegan here, but didn't realize almonds have a high carbon footprint. Guess I should cut back on them?
IDK, but let's not get bogged down on that kind of stuff.

Either way, you only have one life to live. May as well make it one that feels right for you, and your beliefs/wants/needs.

Granted, I'm a veggie, so I'm kind of bias in your favor. :p

border

I guess it kinda depends on whether or not you think your individual actions will make a difference. There are lots of vegans in the world, so by eating vegan you are joining a collective that influences the way food is produced.

Are there lots of people that refuse to eat almonds, though? Not likely. Your refusal to eat almonds will probably not do very much at all.

exfatal

Wait till he and your sis have kids then secretly be the cool uncle that feeds them the good non-vegan food.
Gotta plan your revenge for the long haul i say

MilkyJoe

Next time he's over give him an empty plate and tell him since you don't own a farm you don't have any means to be sure no animals were killed during the harvest of your vegetables.

massoluk

Banned
I would tell him is he planning to live a hermit for the rest of his life. He can't just walk away every time someone eat meat

i have hardcore vegan friends who dont give a fuck and let me use their oven to make pepperoni pizza if i want to.. seems like i've picked the right friends.

if you're vegan, be cool about it. if you act holier-than-thou it makes your ideology less attractive, which is counter-productive if you want people to actually consume less animal products, right?

if you're vegan, be cool about it. if you act holier-than-thou it makes your ideology less attractive, which is counter-productive if you want people to actually consume less animal products, right?
Sorry but fuck this. "Being cool" means keeping my opinions to myself and sitting idly by while you do something I find morally offensive?

If you start talking some sexist mess that I disagree with should I just "be cool" and sit there with my mouth shut while you do it?

We have regular threads where posters ask for advice on how to handle relatives who support Trump. Overwhelmingly the feedback is to just remove themselves from the situation.

Kinda funny how that's an acceptable course of action when it aligns with your ideology but if it doesn't, fuck that holier-than-thou prick right?

Sorry but fuck this. "Being cool" means keeping my opinions to myself and sitting idly by while you do something I find morally offensive?

If you start talking some sexist mess that I disagree with should I just "be cool" and sit there with my mouth shut while you do it?

We have regular threads where posters ask for advice on how to handle relatives who support Trump. Overwhelmingly the feedback is to just remove themselves from the situation.

Kinda funny how that's an acceptable course of action when it aligns with your ideology but if it doesn't, fuck that holier-than-thou prick right?

chill, bro, chill.

both sides of this argument always get so easily butthurt, everybody needs to just chill.

meat-eaters - consider eating less, please, for the sake of our planet and your fucking health.

vegans [the annoying ones in particular] - shut the fuck up and just keep doing you. the rest of us are eating less meat all the time and respect what you're doing [even if we pretend to hate you], being self-righteous about it only serves to entrench both sides further [that goes for both sides, as ever].

edit: i've eaten meat my whole life, but have always found it kind of... weird?

went off it a few times during high school, then probably for about 4 years during my undergrad [mostly cause it was too expensive for me], but i've never considered myself a vegetarian or anything.

i just don't base my meals around meat [ever] and as a result i barely ever eat the stuff.

i'd like to be eating more, but not until i feel like i can afford to support some sort of local ethical farm or something along those lines.

but still, find it pretty fucking weird that it's okay to eat cute / smart piggies, but not okay to eat my cute / kinda smart doggos?

so much weirdness in eating meat, always thought so and always will, just never fully abandoned it or anything myself [yet].

one of my best friends is a vegan, and she has this great shirt with cute animals on it that says "i don't eat buddies" - gets me every time.

[like, why do i eat buddies? i don't wanna eat my buddies...]

Supporting a racist pig who denies climate change and wants to doom us and future generations to make a quick buck is slightly different from eating meat IMO.

And yes I am aware of the dangers of mass consumption of meat but there are sustainable ways of consuming it.

xrnzaaas

Do not negotiate with vegan terrorists. If they want to make a spectacle and eat outside then let them. Meanwhile continue to cook and enjoy good food. :)

patapuf

If my brother snubbed us at the at the table on a meal our mother cooked specifically for him he'd never hear the end of it.

Jokingly and seriously (not that he'd ever do that). That's about as much a fuck you as you can give without throwing the food on the floor.

Now the inlaws is whatever. If they want to sit outside they can go sit outside. Bye. And then explain to my sibling that it may be best if the inlaw stayed at home next time.

Damn OP, type if you are OK.

Why does it bother you if someone doesn't want to sit there while you do stuff that is disgusting to them? They didn't even raise a scene from what I gather and respectfully just walked away. I say that as someone who eats meat, if that is relevant?

MilkyJoe

If you find it offensive, then what would you be doing there in the first place?

If you willingly go to a KKK seminar, then you know what to expect.

Don't like meat eaters, don't go to a meat eater family dinner.

I do it all the time and it's really easy. If I get invited to something I know will not like, I just say "no thanks"

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Why does it bother you if someone doesn't want to sit there while you do stuff that is disgusting to them? They didn't even raise a scene from what I gather and respectfully just walked away. I say that as someone who eats meat, if that is relevant?

but why then even go there? if you go to your family in law for dinner, they cook a dinner, they take into consideration your diet choice...why behave like that and disrupt it that way?

just say "oh, no thank you" when they invite you. getting up, leaving the table and eating outside alone will just make it strange and influence the mood.

patapuf

No. If someone makes a meal specifically for you. And you take it and leave, that's not "respectuflly walking away".

This is a family dinner, not a restaurant. Is that how you behave when with family?

Har you tried eating vegan around meat gobblers? They're a bunch of self-righteous assholes who can't stop going on about eating meat.

If people don't know any better you're doing them a favor by not serving meat.

So, if your mother inlaw cooks you a meal but serves meat to others you tell her "you'd have done me a favour not cooking anything?"

Paganmoon

It's also worth noting the difference in CO2 kg equivalent, rather than just the ranking.

It's a massive difference.

0lQDTpS.png

What's that comparing too though? is it per kilo of lamb to per kilo of say, potatoes? Per calories?

The charts simply state, "Lamb" "Beef" "Potatoes" etc.

but why then even go there? if you go to your family in law for dinner, they cook a dinner, they take into consideration your diet choice...why behave like that and disrupt it that way?

just say "oh, no thank you" when they invite you. getting up, leaving the table and eating outside alone will just make it strange and influence the mood.

I'm not big on family dinners so maybe that is why I don't see the big deal. I'm assuming they hung out with everyone aside from the dinner itself? It honestly wouldn't bother me at all, but to each their own.

MilkyJoe

I'm not big on family dinners so maybe that is why I don't see the big deal. I'm assuming they hung out with everyone aside from the dinner itself? It honestly wouldn't bother me at all, but to each their own.

You are saying you have no concept of being "invited to dinner" and what that entails when you get there?

I don't think I'd care. I'd maybe find it a bit weird but I understand that some people take more importance in this stuff than I do so I wouldn't be a dick about it.

Do not negotiate with vegan terrorists. If they want to make a spectacle and eat outside then let them. Meanwhile continue to cook and enjoy good food. :)
"Vegan terrorist"? What the fuck does that even mean?

From the other side, there's trophy hunters who hunt animals like deer for the mere sport of things.

Please, not get bogged down on meat vs. vegggie/vegan, or anything of the sort.

There's smart, and stupid on both sides.

I say that as a veggie for whatever it is worth.

It should be about intelligence vs. stupidity. To me, this is NOT a case of meat vs. vegan. It's a case of reasonable vs. non-reasonable, or respectful vs. non-respectful.

So, if your mother inlaw cooks you a meal but serves meat to others you tell her "you'd have done me a favour not cooking anything?"
What? A reasonable and logical person would serve vegan and not cope to the emotional demands of meat eaters.

So make that "you would've done everyone a favour by serving all vegan."

What's that comparing too though? is it per kilo of lamb to per kilo of say, potatoes? Per calories?

The charts simply state, "Lamb" "Beef" "Potatoes" etc.

are you really trying to nitpick the graph?

do you actually have any doubts at the terrible carbon footprint of the meat industry?

c'mon brah.

patapuf

What? A reasonable and logical person would serve vegan and not cope to the emotional demands of meat eaters.

So make that "you would've done everyone a favour by serving all vegan."

So, just to be clear, you'd have no problem telling that to your moter in laws face at a family dinner? And then stand up and leave with your food?

Top Bottom