• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So about that new Adam Sandler Netflix Special...

JCK75

Back in his early days of SNL I was actually a huge fan of Sandler, especially the skit tapes and such he used to release and I still stayed a fan up until about Mr. Deeds and that's when I feel it all started to fall apart and his movies went from entertaining to horrible and stayed that way ever since... but the new special is sitting at 92% on RT so I thought hey maybe I'll like it.

Turns out I loved it, if you've never liked the man it's not going to change anything but if you liked him back in the day this is the Sandler you remember and it's some of the best stuff he's ever done, def worth your time.

I have such mixed feelings about Adam Sandler.

On one hand he's made some just flat out terrible movies and terrible in a real cynical way to where they feel like a scam (Jack and Jill being the best example)

On the other hand I've heard he's a really nice guy and yeah, he seems like an alright guy and he's been funny on occasion, so I can't bring myself to hate him.

I'd say Click was the last halfway decent movie he made.

Thurible

I loved water boy and happy gilmore. Fight me.

I think a lot of his movies are dumb, and he always plays an over the top angry guy with silly quirks. His movies are the kind of movies that fit in the catergory of it's so bad it's good. It's dumb humor and it is low brow as heck, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you just want to laugh at extremely stupid things and not think about the world we live in.

Marc13

Adam Sandler is awesome because he continues to make movies even though they aren't always well received. He does them for the simple fact that he loves his job. I'm sure 99% of people would kill to have a job they love while making great money. Also, the fact that he continues to make movies demonstrates what most of us need to learn... not to care what others think and STILL being an amazing person. Right on.

Shai-Tan

Banned
while there are a lot of dick jokes in that special some of the punchlines of his songs are actually funny. I liked it more than most of the other stand up specials I've watched on Netflix.

Adam Sandler is awesome because he continues to make movies even though they aren't always well received. He does them for the simple fact that he loves his job. I'm sure 99% of people would kill to have a job they love while making great money. Also, the fact that he continues to make movies demonstrates what most of us need to learn... not to care what others think and STILL being an amazing person. Right on.

he named his new special 100% fresh so he's at least somewhat bothered by the critical reception of those movies

Last edited:

dolabla

Buddy told me about this. Told me to watch it. Said it was great. I have always been a fan of him personally (even though his newer stuff hasn't been good). I'm definitely going to watch this.

-hal-

he named his new special 100% fresh so he's at least somewhat bothered by the critical reception of those movies

This is true. He said as much in his latest interview on Howard Stern. He said it works on two levels: he knows some of his movies have not been the greatest, and have not been well-received. It also refers to the fact that he wrote all-new material for the special.

I loved water boy and happy gilmore. Fight me.

I think a lot of his movies are dumb, and he always plays an over the top angry guy with silly quirks. His movies are the kind of movies that fit in the catergory of it's so bad it's good. It's dumb humor and it is low brow as heck, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you just want to laugh at extremely stupid things and not think about the world we live in.

The Water Boy and Happy Gilmore are definitely some of the good ones.

Kenpachii

I can never forgive him for 'Grown Ups'.

Loved the first one, second one not so much.

However some of his movies are bad, but he made so many of them most that i watched i really like him in. Critics can be damned with there garbage feedback. Most shit they hate i love.

Last edited:
He made a couple of solid flicks way back when and people who know him personally seem to think he´s a pretty swell guy. I feel like that alone is more than you can say for 99% of hollywood. Will check this out when I can.

Last edited:
He made a couple of solid flicks way back when and people who know him personally seem to think he´s a pretty swell guy. I feel like that alone is more than you can say for 99% of hollywood. Will check this out when I can.

It's probably more that he puts people he knows into his cheap "movies" and pays them well while oddly always going to vacation areas/resorts in the movie for on-location filming.

I can't really fault the guy for bilking money out of the pedos that run Hollywood.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i grew up w him on SNL, i remember Canteen Boy (co-starring Alec Baldwin, a sketch which would be extremely problematic nowadays). Opera Man was my favorite of his characters. the Schmitts Gay beer commercial was so classic (look for the one with the og Van Halen music)

Airheads was classic as fuck. Billy Madison also pretty awesome, and Happy Gilmore too. i know a lot of people like Water Boy but my mom took me and my brothers to see it in the theater when it came out and i didn't really like it, it felt like he was already phoning it in at that point. i kind of skipped most of his stuff after this, including his big hits, but i did catch Grandma's Boy and even though he's not in it, it's utterly hilarious in that classic Sandler comedy way.

he's had an interesting career. i think a lot of pseudos like to hate on him performatively but he isn't do himself any favors as his films also aren't really as funny as they used to be. Pixels was very dull despite being the exact movie i would have wanted as a 13 year old. i've been watching The Larry Sanders show from the early 90s and he was a guest on one of the episodes, he just plays a silly little song on an acoustic guitar. you can tell the guy is talented. i'll definitely check this standup out.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

True that. That was one of the worst movies I ever saw. Though I liked the more serious one with don cheadle i forgot the name though.
Will give it a shot maybe
Reign Over Me

It was a good movie, much like Robin Williams I feel Sandler is almost better at dramatic roles than he is at comedic ones. Also a chunk of the movie being dedicated to Shadow of the Colossus was really a cool and unexpected surprise.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie..

I enjoyed "That's my Boy"

Disgusting jokes and very absurd. Took me back to the Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison days.

black_13

Banned
Heard good things about the special. Even tho I hate most of his movies which all follow the same unfunny formula, Im intrigued to watch this

womfalcs3

Banned
Not gonna lie..

I enjoyed "That's my Boy"

Disgusting jokes and very absurd. Took me back to the Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison days.

If those are the "funniest" scenes, then may God have mercy on the soul of anybody who liked the movie.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
watched this last night w a friend, who said "I feel like I'm 13 again" when we started it up. i really really enjoyed it. he was the same old funny Sandler, far funnier than he has been in decades imo. great energy, just rapid fire jokes the whole way through.

laughed out loud for quite a few of these jokes. i liked how he had this 1-minute song joke thing going. the song about the alcoholic lawyer who was facing the case of his life was hilarious. lots of dad jokes but all in all it felt like the same goofy guy who sang in a high silly voice for opera man. only bit i really wasn't into was the "UFC Ears" song, which they kind of ruined by dragging it on too long and going overboard with After Effects stoner post production. probably out of his hands, something Netflix writes into all their contracts.

the song about Chris Farley was really lovely, and it was kind of touching. dig the bit at the end where he wishes Farley was around to film Grown Ups 3. for all the shit talking that series gets, and Sandler gets for working w his friends (?), this moment felt like a big rebuke to that. loved Rob Schneider's cameo, and the song about the 69-ing spacemen was maybe the funniest part of the whole show.

Sandler is such a talented performer, and he can write and play Springsteen-style heartland rock very well. i like his material (guessing he wrote it w the keyboard dude), a lot of it had a kind of 50s twist to it that almost reminds me of Jonathan Richman. the rap stuff was funny, if corny, but that was part of the charm. the one about the grandma he was singing in the subway ruled. he should do standup more!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
For those who've seen it, how would you rank it with specials from the likes of Louis CK, Burr etc?
I love both those comedians and describe myself as someone that is wildly angered by Sandler, who can make

Funny people
Punch drunk love
Click
50 first dates
Billy madison

And then all that other shit he routinely does.

This standup easily belongs in the first group. A great comedian at the top of his game. I turned it on looking for a hate watch and remembered why I used to love the guy. Best Telly surprise of the year.

Top Bottom