• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

br3wnor

My wife works at Target in the electronics section. She made some calls and asked upper management and found out something really strange...

Nintendo sends out an unspecified amount and so Target's internal system isn't updated to even inform their employees. All they know is when some might arrive. Sometimes they don't even know that.

I can't imagine only Target deals with that. I'm just gonna wait a week or two and see if this situation stabilizes.

Read the Console Wars book, they've been pulling this shit since the NES. How they think it benefits them in this day and age is beyond me.

WGMBY

Target's online tracker said it had them on Saturday, but everything was "out of stock" by Sunday morning. Based on this though:

My wife works at Target in the electronics section. She made some calls and asked upper management and found out something really strange...

Nintendo sends out an unspecified amount and so Target's internal system isn't updated to even inform their employees. All they know is when some might arrive. Sometimes they don't even know that.

I can't imagine only Target deals with that. I'm just gonna wait a week or two and see if this situation stabilizes.

It sounds like the tracker isn't really something I should be basing it on. Maybe I'll walk over there sometime after work this week.

Futureman

I can't imagine only Target deals with that. I'm just gonna wait a couple more weeks and see if this situation stabilizes.

so this is different from other companies when launching a new system?

Besides a new iPhone, it seems like a new videogame console is one of the few times in retail that people freak out over something new being released (lining up days in advance, scalpers, sold out for weeks, etc). It's probably very chaotic from Nintendo's end and the retailers end, so I feel like this isn't necessarily that strange. I could be wrong though.

Besides a new iPhone, it seems like a new videogame console is one of the few times in retail that people freak out over something new being released (lining up days in advance, scalpers, sold out for weeks, etc). It's probably very chaotic from Nintendo's end and the retailers end, so I feel like this isn't necessarily that strange. I could be wrong though.

You're not, it happens for literally every major console release since the Nintendo 64.

Visited a GameStop and Target near work and they were cleaned out of everything except joycons.

Target's online tracker said it had them on Saturday, but everything was "out of stock" by Sunday morning. Based on this though:

It sounds like the tracker isn't really something I should be basing it on. Maybe I'll walk over there sometime after work this week.

You absolutely cannot rely on the online stock number for the store. It can be a few hours to a whole day out of date.

From my experience, my wife has been able to find out how many Xbox's or PS4's were coming and roughly when they will arrive. I've been to GameStops before and they could do the same and even tell me if any were reserved.

As a poster said above, this seems like a Nintendo practice.

Rezae

Haven't really been out to any retail stores since launch. Looking at eBay prices, I think the stock overall is in a good situation (or demand is just that low). Switches appear to be selling for around $400, often with free shipping. When you factor in shipping, tax paid, and eBay/Paypal fees, scalpers can get a pizza for all of their hard work.

Glix

Stopped by a small target in nyc on my lunch

One copy of just dance one copy of bomberman

Every single other game/accessory/console gone

NwUFIxS.png

A couple Targets near me have "limited stock". The hardware luster in me makes the purchase tempting. The logic tells me I'm not gonna do anything with it tho

Futureman

A couple Targets near me have "limited stock". The hardware luster in me makes the purchase tempting. The logic tells me I'm not gonna do anything with it tho

Probably not true. On Saturday almost all Targets near me said In Stock for the gray Switch and every one I went to was out.

johnny956

Yes this is completely different. I know from XB1 and PS4 at least. Sony/MS would ship all the consoles to Best Buy's distribution center and Best Buy sends them to stores based on their video game sales. Each store fulfilled their pre-orders without issue and had plenty available and we knew when shipments were arriving in the future as well cause we could see distribution center numbers and inventory would show in-transit to store as well

Hybris

I feel the same. The only game I want atm is Zelda, and CEMU is reportedly a few months away from a working version. I was going to wait to play it when I got a switch, but if it's running well on CEMU before I actually get one, I'll just pick up a wii u copy and play it there. At this rate, I don't even know if I'm gonna have a reason to buy a switch this year.

Pejo

Man, I want to find a Pro controller because my Joycons have connection problems when I'm using the grip and it's in the dock. It is sold out absolutely everywhere near me and online.

Also can't find the joycon charge grip.

I'll get them in a few weeks without issue I'm sure, but still it's annoying.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Still most retailers in my area in a 10 mile radius have stock

Is there anything against starting a new thread to ask if people who have stock around them if they would grab one and ship it? Like, I'd pay you $20 for your time/energy plus shipping the thing if you'd pick one up a Neon for me :3

hygogg33

Neo Member
The target near my office outside of Philadelphia had a dozen this morning at 8:45a - 6 gray and 6 neon. Went back at lunch for an unrelated matter and they were all sold out.

ACE 1991

I read somewhere that Nintendo aren't shipping more stock until April, but can't remember where. Has someone else heard this/is it a verified claim?

JAYinHD

Nintendo are either shit at supplying hardware or are shady as fuck to create demand. Either way sucks.

Took me 2 weeks to find a PS4 after launch. I don't think a company like Nintendo can afford to be shady and create demand by limiting consoles to retailers.

I read somewhere that Nintendo aren't shipping more stock until April, but can't remember where. Has someone else heard this/is it a verified claim?
Some stores got more stock today, so I would say this is probably untrue. It's a rumor that's going around based largely on the listed shipping date of a GameStop Switch bundle.

One thing to keep in mind: if a retailer says "We won't get anymore until April/May", they are lying to you to make you go away. If you really want one, there's a very good chance you will be able to get one within the next month. I am waiting on a Best Buy restock myself.

cordy

Banned
As someone who used to work at Target for 5 years...don't trust anything online nor do you trust what the system says. You'll only know whenever the dock shipment comes in. For console launches, I didn't even know how many systems I was getting in, when they were coming in, how many preorders we were getting in wasn't even accurate.

FireRises

has anyone purchased resale (via ebay etc)? What did you pay over retail? There's zero stock around me and I'm itching to grab one but trying to keep it under $100 premium.

has anyone purchased resale (via ebay etc)? What did you pay over retail? There's zero stock around me and I'm itching to grab one but trying to keep it under $100 premium.

I know how real the new console thirst can be, but I'd just give it a week or two for demand to crash and you'll be able to snag one at retail easily. This initial demand isn't even as bad as it could have been, and it'll likely be readily available pretty quickly.

It was live for a good 15 minutes today at Target.com. That doesn't sound like long, but it's actually a good indicator that demand is falling to a reasonable level. I'd expect them to be readily available within a week, maybe two at most.

ACE 1991

I know how real the new console thirst can be, but I'd just give it a week or two for demand to crash and you'll be able to snag one at retail easily. This initial demand isn't even as bad as it could have been, and it'll likely be readily available pretty quickly.

Just hoping Nintendo ends up shipping a bunch of these in the next week or two :p

One thing to keep in mind: if a retailer says "We won't get anymore until April/May", they are lying to you to make you go away. If you really want one, there's a very good chance you will be able to get one within the next month. I am waiting on a Best Buy restock myself.

Heh, true dat.

I had called up a Target to see if they had any Switches in stock and the clerk on the line got extremely angry all of a sudden and told me to "stop fucking calling" and that they wouldn't have any more in stock for at least a month. That was my first time calling that store to inquire about it.

A+++ RANK S customer service.

Thank god the TrU next door had some in stock. And funny enough, there was a line of people waiting for the Switch at that Target the very next day who oddly enough didn't come down to the Toys R Us line with us after the Target opened. Hmmmmmmm.......

FireRises

yeah I hate paying resale but that's a good point.

It was live for a good 15 minutes today at Target.com. That doesn't sound like long, but it's actually a good indicator that demand is falling to a reasonable level. I'd expect them to be readily available within a week, maybe two at most.

15m? damn I missed that.

ACE 1991

dang dude near me is offering it for $380, which isn't ridiculous. Still I probably shouldn't bite and just wait instead.

Azerare

Nintendo did say that preorders were filled. So they are probably putting as much effort as they can to manufacture for the demand.

They were probably cautious of another wii u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom