• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the one thing to remember is it's over the year. It could still be a few weeks, or months, before the supply is strong. Some are acting like it will magically mean there is 8 million+ consoles out come end of April.

I'm aware of that.16 million over the next year is like 1.3 million a month( holiday period will obviously see increased production/supply). It depends on how fast they get 2nd and 3rd waves out. A million on the market next month, and the scalpers could be scrambling to drop price or return unsold units.

Seik

Banned
I'm sure the switch is selling very well but aren't Nintendo famous for deliberately under stocking retailers to create a scarcity.

That's a myth, past experiences just showed that they had no idea how to gauge demand.

Which company in its right mind would deliberately constraint supplies, lose money so that scalpers make that money over them?

lol what. Even if the person was stealing them and reselling them for 100% profit, they wouldn't be making 500 to 700 of a sale. Scalpers aren't even making $200 profit, at best, and most sales are in the $30 - $70 profit range.

Edit: nevermind.

Even still, what a dick for buying them all up. :|

pdog128

So we are on the same page I was looking for this one: Amazon

If there is another one that someone likes better I am open to checking it out. I just want to keep my baby safe.

Just got a notification that the one I ordered from Amazon got a new arrival date. Ordered on 3/4, should be here by 3/22.

That being said, I just picked one up at Walmart. Every Walmart around me has at least 2-3 on the shelves, and actually a little cheaper than Amazon.

Well the one thing to remember is it's over the year. It could still be a few weeks, or months, before the supply is strong. Some are acting like it will magically mean there is 8 million+ consoles out come end of April.

This. People really seem to have a flawed understanding on how modern manufacturing works. It will take months to spin up additional production capacity, have parts fabricated, then ship the systems to the US market.

Futureman

This. People really seem to have a flawed understanding on how modern manufacturing works. It will take months to spin up additional production capacity, have parts fabricated, then ship the systems to the US market.

I think most people understand that but Nintendo announcing increased production (well I don't think they've officially said anything yet) could kill some of the 2nd hand market. I wouldn't be surprised if people are buying from scalpers because they remember Wii and NES Classic being impossible to find.

If Nintendo is really doubling production you at least know you should be able to definitely get one by summer at this point.

No clue what this means, but the % In Stock for Walmart on BrickSeek has changed for the first time in a week on my end.

loe7Od7.png

It was at 22% for the last week, but now it's says 18%. Obviously, that means LESS inventory, but I wonder if that means some of those stores who might have been sitting on 'held' stock are putting it out?

Going to be paying close attention to my local stores that still list some as in stock, even though when going to the store they have nothing in stock, to see if that number changes.

Of course, this could also just be the stores finally correcting their inventory for ones that were stolen, or not actually received as shipped. (i.e. packing sheet said 10 showed up, but they only actually got 5, etc..)

Trojan

I got tired of F5ing nowinstock.net and BrickSeek and just bought one off eBay. Kind of shitty how constrained supply is right now but the price on eBay was within my pain threshold.

Haven't seen any on the shelves anywhere near me.

I've seen the gray one pop in and out of availability at my local Target on their website over the last week. I apparently missed one by five minutes last night. Seems like they're coming in a few at a time and going out the same day. I think my chances of scooping one in the next couple of weeks are reasonable.

Futureman

hey at least it's cool one of the bundle games is Binding of Issac.

that actually doesn't seem too bad of a bundle. Just sell the games you don't want.

Arkam

Just got a notification that the one I ordered from Amazon got a new arrival date. Ordered on 3/4, should be here by 3/22.

That being said, I just picked one up at Walmart. Every Walmart around me has at least 2-3 on the shelves, and actually a little cheaper than Amazon.

That is good news. I didnt pull the trigger and order one yet (bought a bunch of Amiibos instead and a glass screen protector!) I will definitely do my big box store sweep this weekend and hope I find one. Thanks!

thatJohann

Walmart where?

Waldini

This Switch stock situation is horseshit.

Here in The Netherlands, several "toy" companies sell these things for 40 euro's more than the base price (329). Hell, I have seen companies sell the thing for 369,-

I ordered mine last week for 329 at Wehkamp. They e-mailed me telling that they had a limited stock and aren't sure when they'll deliver it. If it doesn't arrive at the end of next week, I'll get a 25 euro discount. Yay.

Just give me the damn thing already.

I think most people understand that but Nintendo announcing increased production (well I don't think they've officially said anything yet) could kill some of the 2nd hand market. I wouldn't be surprised if people are buying from scalpers because they remember Wii and NES Classic being impossible to find.

If Nintendo is really doubling production you at least know you should be able to definitely get one by summer at this point.
Summer is your best bet but do not underestimate the Christmas frenzy. The Wii held the same pattern when it was sold out: easier to find in summer but impossible during the holidays. So buy in the summer if you really want a console this year.

Arkam

I think a lot of people prefer the RDS one over the official one. There are many cases out there and each have their advantages and appeal to different users. So I wouldn't recommend you go for the official one just because it's the official one. It's a nice case in my opinion (and the included screen protector was a selling point for me), but if you want to fit anything more than the Switch with joycons attached, 5 carts, and a cleaning cloth or a cable, you're out of luck (no space for the joycon straps for example).

Good feedback. i am just looking for a safe way to carry the unit to work each day that doesnt require me to treat it like fine china. IDK about you but my experience with the joycon straps was a nightmare. One didnt fit (at all) and the other got stuck on my joycon. I am never touching those monsters again. Seems the metal rails on them have quality control issues :(

Toys R Us appears to have the official case in stock, and will ship-to-home.

Thanks! I was hoping to get locally or from Amazon to avoid having to pay for shipping. But if it comes to it I may break down and order.

thatJohann

PSA: I see people posting on forums that they're getting the expensive Switch bundles from GameStop then simply going to a physical store and returning unopened items to recover their money. I called GameStop to investigate.

Of course, they won't let you. They'll offer to take them as trade-in for much less money than what you paid for. So, unless you want every item on those pricey GameStop bundles, wait for $299 MSRP anywhere else.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
PSA: I see people posting on forums that they're getting the expensive Switch bundles from GameStop then simply going to a physical store and returning unopened items to recover their money. I called GameStop to investigate.

Of course, they won't let you. They'll offer to take them as trade-in for much less money than what you paid for. So, unless you want every item on those pricey GameStop bundles, wait for $299 MSRP anywhere else.

Not true, multiple reports of people returning parts of their order in store, refunds back on their card. It depends on if the store will let you.

thatJohann

Not true, multiple reports of people returning parts of their order in store, refunds back on their card. It depends on if the store will let you.

Well FWIW I called two GameStops in NYC and both told me they wouldn't accept bundle returns as individual items if bought online. Take it for what it's worth.

in a few weeks this will all be resolved. Gamestop won't be able to scalp once the double supply ramps up in a few weeks. hang tight guys!

It really does seem like Target (maybe more stores) will be getting a true second round next weekend. That reddit post that went around and what I have been told by local stores. Take it all with a grain of salt I guess but I think hitting up Targets when they open on Friday is a good bet. They might hold them back until Sunday so they can show up in their ad though, so I plan on showing up Friday, Saturday, and Sunday lol.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
in a few weeks this will all be resolved. Gamestop won't be able to scalp once the double supply ramps up in a few weeks. hang tight guys!

hanging tight. I screwed myself and pretty much have to buy my Switch from them, but after I get one (non bundle) at MSRP it's the last time I will ever do business with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom