• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

We only got 5 units (Argos) which were sold by noon yesterday. No more on delivery last night which surprised me as we are a 'hub and spoke' retail unit (I work in the warehouse) and support 5 local smaller stores (one is a Sainsbury's concession store)

Essex, UK btw

lt519

You could walk in at midnight in my area to get one so no pre order was required by everything is sold out now. Craigslist market is between $500 and $600. Talked to a friend a city over and he said every store told him two weeks until they get new stock.

Sounds like another Wii U in the making. I hope the scalpers get fucking rekt

I appreciate the sentiment, but scalpers are taking on zero risk, they can just return unsold units.

I live right outside of Houston, and according to target.com I can walk into just about any Target in a 20 mile radius today and pick a non neon one up. The Target site may just not be updated though.

Davey Cakes

All of my local Target stores in the Boston area appear to have "limited availability" according to the website. If I really wanted a Switch (and had the money for it) I could chance it.

I could walk into almost any retailer here in Australia and pick one up today.

Saw lots of pro controllers too, which seem to be a scarcity in most stock related topics

Yeah, I saw the same when I went out on Friday. The Target I went into looked like they sold at most one unit because the case was full of them. I saw people buy one from both JB and EB too, so they were definitely in stock there.

Unfortunately, I don't think it launched particularly well here. I am not sure how successfully it was advertised either as I have seen only a couple of TV ads and one of the nightly news are doing a Nintendo "then and now" tomorrow I think, but that is after launch and the only TV advertisements I saw were leading up to launch or even since were on Thursday

I was also disappointed there were no demo stations at any store or even a cased unit to at least see, Target still had their Wii U demo station running.

The Best Buy I go to in Florida had about 100 units outside preorders. I was blown away. I have attended the WiiU and PS4 midnight launch there as well and they did not have nearly as many available for either. They still sold out with people being turned away. Hopefully a good sign for Nintendo. Nintendo might actually have produced enough to cover a majority of the people for once.

som

All of my local Target stores in the Boston area appear to have "limited availability" according to the website. If I really wanted a Switch (and had the money for it) I could chance it.

Target's website is never accurate. I called a few that were listed to have it in stock or in limited availability. None of them have the stock.

BFIB

The Best Buy I go to in Florida had about 100 units outside preorders. I was blown away. I have attended the WiiU and PS4 midnight launch there as well and they did not have nearly as many available for either. They still sold out with people being turned away. Hopefully a good sign for Nintendo. Nintendo might actually have produced enough to cover a majority of the people for once.
A good amount of Switches, need more NES Classic Edition.

I live right outside of Houston, and according to target.com I can walk into just about any Target in a 20 mile radius today and pick a non neon one up. The Target site may just not be updated though.

Be careful with that, the Target I went to yesterday said they definitely didn't have any left and their system over-allocated numbers for their store, which is why the website still shows them in stock.

The store said they got 80 units for launch, which seems like a pretty healthy number. I think they might be hard to find for a week, maybe two. But nothing like the NES Classic situation.

Just walked into a Target (Pleasant Prairie, WI) like 10 mins ago and they had like 8 of them. Seems to be based on your luck

Jetku

eBay completes sales are still $100-200 above msrp in the US. That's a good indicator that it's not easily available. I look forward to checking stores this weekend. I love anecdotal evidence. :)

jdmonmou

Yeah I was a bit bummed out yesterday when I couldn't find a Switch in stock at my local stores. I settled and bought the Wii U version of Zelda and I realized I really don't need a Switch anymore. I'm gonna wait until after E3 to see what new games Nintendo has planned for Switch before I attempt to buy one again.

Bulzeeb

eBay completes sales are still $100-200 above msrp in the US. That's a good indicator that it's not easily available. I look forward to checking stores this weekend. I love anecdotal evidence. :)

Nothing too near 200, that would be with games or extras. Its more like 80 to 100 right now.

Supply seems to be pretty high in terms of scalpers. eBay completed listings are going for around $400ish on average. At that point I'm not even sure why one would bother, considering all the associated fees.

Jetku

Nothing too near 200, that would be with games or extras. Its more like 80 to 100 right now.

Some neons have recently gone for $450-500

At risk of getting skewered, I sold a gray for $446 on Thursday night, so it definitely has dropped a bit.

(I was only able to reserve gray at GameStop but had over $300 in GS credit. So I ordered the neon I wanted from Best Buy and sold the gray to cover my cash outlay so the purchase could still be "made" with GS credit. Wasn't aiming for profit, but after eBay fees, PayPal fees, tax, and shipping I made about $60).

Supply seems to be pretty high in terms of scalpers. eBay completed listings are going for around $400ish on average. At that point I'm not even sure why one would bother, considering all the associated fees.
The reason I put above is one reason. I'm not a prolific eBay seller, but could have had 1 or 2 more switches yesterday to sell. Not worth the effort and having to deal with a buyer for $20-40 profit.

Whether it's actually true or not but it seems it's available in limited or decent qualities at Target where I live (Denver). Shame there isn't enough for it right now or else I'd go out and grab one but I'll wait it out.

Dehnus

This guy has quite a few for sale.

00m0m_fX0v6igYtIa_1200x900.jpg

Just for him, I hope it'll get back in stock tomorrow.. EVERYWHERE ON THE WORLD. And will get a pricecut the week after with a nice ambassador program for those that bought early (the DLC being free on Zelda.))

Just so he get's majorly screwed and learns a lesson about Scalping :).

bomblord1

Banned
So not sold out everywhere = doing bad

As opposed to Nintendo is doing better on supply and not trying to create artificial shortages?

Just for him, I hope it'll get back in stock tomorrow.. EVERYWHERE ON THE WORLD. And will get a pricecut the week after with a nice ambassador program for those that bought early (the DLC being free on Zelda.))

There's plenty of folks like this on US Amazon too. Selling the console for $430+ and they have at least 5-6+ in stock.

Mash83

Lots in Stock at Target's across my city, Indianapolis, IN. Might pick one up later today, guessing these will be relatively easy to find in a week or 2.

notaskwid

As opposed to Nintendo is doing better on supply and not trying to create artificial shortages?
I don't know where you are reading that.
Also, even if 'artificial shortages' are actually a thing (they're not), there's a difference between sold out in the second day on the market and sold out two months later.

He would just return them, that is the issue with it, there is basically zero risk.

Shiggy

Nah, it's doing fine for the limited software library, high price and launch in March. Supply matching demand surely isn't bad, even if supply is lower than initial Wii U supply.

They probably won't get the next round out until a few weeks before MK8 I feel

New shipments are expected next week and the week after, at least in countries directly supplied by NoE/Iberica/France.

MageBoySA

Wal-Marts neat me all have stock. According to brickseek one store sold -5 units, which I assume means a scalper canceled a preorder.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
B&H photo has them if you don't mind a forced bundle of Zelda and Just Dance. People always seem to forget (or not even know) about this place..also if you don't live in NY I believe they don't charge you sales tax and have free one day shipping to some places

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/nintendo-switch-systems/ci/34599/N/3569470707

Tried to jump on this BUT....

"Thank you for your patience while we break for the Shabbos holiday. Although online ordering is unavailable, you may still add items to your cart or wish list. Checkout will resume at Saturday 7:15 PM EST."

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

"Thank you for your patience while we break for the Shabbos holiday. Although online ordering is unavailable, you may still add items to your cart or wish list. Checkout will resume at Saturday 7:15 PM EST."

Amazing

Futureman

Almost all my local Targets are saying In-Stock for the gray Switch (this is in Pittsburgh).

I really want Neon but only a few say Limited Stock.

I'm tricking my GF to go to Target in an hour so we'll see what's up there and possibly at Best Buy.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Almost all my local Targets are saying In-Stock for the gray Switch (this is in Pittsburgh).

I really want Neon but only a few say Limited Stock.

I'm tricking my GF to go to Target in an hour so we'll see what's up there and possibly at Best Buy.

All the Targets here say in stock too. I went to 2 of them and they don't have it. Didn't even have Zelda in stock either.

B&H are well known for being owned by Orthodox Jews who observe the Sabbath.

Just order it when it becomes available again.

It's because of who owns the store. It's always been like this.

Lo-Volt

I had trouble finding one on a whim in Manhattan yesterday. All the big stores I could visit (a GameStop, two Best Buy stores) were getting hit up pretty consistently after work and sold through their allotments. But some people in Midtown wised up and waited at the Nintendo store.

Scotch

It's always interesting how things like a 30 day return policy, which is obviously good for consumers, can have these unintended effects, like scalpers abusing it.

starmud

My area of targets are being flooded this weekend... each store just got another 20+ this AM and we're required to hold over 40 for the new ad starting tomorrow. Just my location has over 80 units, even if half are on hold.

That's not counting that we have more confirmed for Monday delivery. the expectations seem very high compared to other launches I've seen... even with target being Nintendo heavy as a given.

The most robust modern launch we've experienced for non Nintendo was Xbox one and we still didn't receive this many units for initial launch.

It's always interesting how things like a 30 day return policy, which is obviously good for consumers, can have these unintended effects, like scalpers abusing it.

It's the retailer's own fault if they don't limit to 1 per person. I have zero sympathy for dumb corporate policies.

There's a Walmart 20 minutes away that says they have 18 in stock...

The Target situation where they're saying 2 or 3 in stock seems likely that those are errors. But 18? I might check it out.

These ebay prices seem crazy, in a bad way. Just was watching (there are over 10k switches for sale on ebay, lol) and saw a few sell for $385, $400, and $400. eBay+paypal charges 13.7% so thats $54.80 on a $400 sale. All of them had free shipping, so thats an additional $15 cost. With 8% tax, you are looking at $300+$24+15+54.80 = $393.80.

So... these guys are making like less than $10 per switch. I guess without taxes it'd be a whopping $35, but that still seems an insane risk given that all it would take is someone to claim the switch doesn't work, return back to you a box of magazines with a tracking label, and eBay will side with them and force you to refund them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom