• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the one in quincy yesterday that was showing 14 units, they said they hadn't had any in since launch.

Its because most walmarts fucked up the pre orders, walmarts pre order system was a different sku from the actual units. Walmart wanted associates to cancel all the orders, give people their money back, and then cash them out using the actual unit sku. Walmart didn't get this info out to stores until after launch.

Dekutulla

Gamestop in my area says they might get five tomorrow, and that my best bet would be buying the bundle. Does anyone know if you can definitely for sure return the parts of the bundle you don't want? Because I really don't want to spend the extra hundred bucks on stuff I don't want.

Gamestop in my area says they might get five tomorrow, and that my best bet would be buying the bundle. Does anyone know if you can definitely for sure return the parts of the bundle you don't want? Because I really don't want to spend the extra hundred bucks on stuff I don't want.
I think the opposite was confirmed. Can't return individual parts

Damn :

Guess I'll take my chances tomorrow morning and hope the people who were willing to camp out in my area already got their switches.
Well if you watched when stock was going up today it was pretty random. I saw some stores put stock up as late as 3:00 EST. So unless people are just planning on spending the day at the store waiting you should have just as good a shot as anyone.

psychotron

Was there still a huge line? Was planning on dropping by for non Switch stuff after work but I dont really want wait in line to buy other merch.

Yeah it was still huge. If there's registers upstairs you're all set though, because they kept us on ground floor.

Salvadora

Gotta be honest.. even as someone who has always been pretty positive about the Switch, I never thought we would be seeing this much fuss or pre-order style lines for retail re-stocks weeks down the line.

The truth will end up somewhere in the middle, but this system feels way closer to Wii than to Wii U.
The system itself being initially popular doesn't surprise me, because it's an infinitely more compelling product that the Wii U in design/concept.

What does surprises me that there is this demand despite there only being one compelling game on the Switch that isn't even exclusive

TS-08

The system itself being initially popular doesn't surprise me, because it's an infinitely more compelling product that the Wii U in design/concept.

What does surprises me that there is this demand despite there only being one compelling game on the Switch that isn't even exclusive

It isn't exclusive, but the only other device to play it on is the one you described as being infinitely less compelling than the Switch.

j_abdi

Neo Member
Decided to go to Best Buy. They got none in display but I asked an employee and got a few in the back. Finally I can play Zelda!

Salvadora

It isn't exclusive, but the only other device to play it on is the one you described as being infinitely less compelling than the Switch.
Sure, but you would generally expect that a good few of those early adopters would be Nintendo fans who already have access to a Wii U, and therefore Zelda (and Mario Kart).

Especially so with it being outside the holiday season.

Faiz

Its because most walmarts fucked up the pre orders, walmarts pre order system was a different sku from the actual units. Walmart wanted associates to cancel all the orders, give people their money back, and then cash them out using the actual unit sku. Walmart didn't get this info out to stores until after launch.

That makes a lot more sense than the people saying it's unclaimed preorders. Which as I said upthread seemed like crazy talk.

Kar L

Sweet tapdancing Jesus...
Have you ever worked in production of any kind? Then you should know that there i no such thing as increasing production over night.
For example : you want to produce more switches, then you need to produce more plastic parts. You need moulds, so that is 8-12 weeks at best. And since no factory worth its name has machines standing empty , waiting for Nintendo to call, you either wait until the factory/ies has production time to sell or you invest in a machine. That is 3 months if the machine is anything customized.
So at the three month mark you have produced 0 extra parts for switches.
You have to do a Production Part Approval Process , so that is another week.
All this is for increasing the production of just the plastic parts.
Now i imagine that Nintendo is faster than this, but anything close to 1 month is amazing.

How do i know this? I manage a plant that is producing plastic parts.

And for the "open more factories" crowd : call any quality machine producer for injection molding and say you want 6-8 Big customized machines "fast" and watch as their fast is in a diffrent dimension than your.

And i bet that noone that uses the artificial scarcity argument has ever worked in a sales position. Demand is there now, maybe not next week or month, so any product that is not on shelves right now is a potentially lost sale.
Nintendo did not run a successful company for more than 100 years by gambling.
I love this post. Amen brother.

Kar L

I talked to a Gamestop employee recently and he told me that they were not expecting stock in until next month. Hopefully Nintendo does not pull another NES mini situation where there were a total of three units per store, regardless of size.
Gamestop employees don't know anything, especially concerning the nature of re-stocks and time frames of things happening in the future. In fact, they poorly speculate much more often than they should.

TS-08

Sure, but you would generally expect that a good few of those early adopters would be Nintendo fans who already have access to a Wii U, and therefore Zelda (and Mario Kart).

Especially so with it being outside the holiday season.

I'm not surprised that the kind of Nintendo fan who already has access to a Wii U is still willing to buy a much more compelling Nintendo system at launch to play games they'd otherwise have acces to on the less compelling system, knowing other games they won't have access to on a Wii U are on the horizon. Also, I'm guessing the difference between the kind of launch you and many of us were expecting and the kind we have seen so far with the Switch is based on consumers who are not the loyal Nintendo fans who buy things just because it's Nintendo jumping in. Which is the result of a GotG type game launching with a compelling piece of hardware.

Ludist210

I'm trying to snag one for my brother in law. GameStop tweeted about a re-stock tomorrow. All of my local GameStops (greater Birmingham, AL area) got their stock today and sold out.

WTG GameStop.

I called my local Gamestop (in central Iowa) and they said they'll be getting 5 in tomorrow or thursday. He also said I was like the 100th person to call and ask today so I think chances are slim.

That makes a lot more sense than the people saying it's unclaimed preorders. Which as I said upthread seemed like crazy talk.
I felt the same way. But the guy I spoke with said they had units in the back and if they aren't claimed by April 1st they go out to floor. So I really don't know what to think at this point.

Salvadora

The same could be said about Twilight Princess. So why is this a surprise?
I think the Wii situation was rather different.

It was a cultural phenomenon upon release and had a compelling reason to own it beyond Zelda with Wii Sports. It had a revolutionary new control method and it was the buying season, too.

It's surprised me, is all.

The Goat

I had seen a few out in the wild here and there last couple weeks, but I didn't pull the trigger. Sort of wishing I had now, as the Wii U's framerate is starting to bug me more and more. I was told by a local Target employee, they have warehouse stock, but its being trickled out to stores. He said they get about 20 units in a week, and if I wanted one, I should line up at 6am on restocking days.

Not a chance I'm lining up now, though. Not compelled enough to start Zelda over, hah.

TS-08

It was a cultural phenomenon upon release and had a compelling reason to own it beyond Zelda with Wii Sports. It had a revolutionary new control method and it was the buying season, too.

To be fair, the Wii situation probably is still different to what we are seeing with the Switch, at least in the longterm. I don't think there is enough reason yet to believe the Switch will sell like the Wii. But it's off to a fantastic start.

A new shipment of Switches hit my area and suddenly there are lots more inflated listings on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. These people fucking suck. 😡

PSFan

To be fair, the Wii situation probably is still different to what we are seeing with the Switch, at least in the longterm. I don't think there is enough reason yet to believe the Switch will sell like the Wii. But it's off to a fantastic start.

This. I think we should wait see how long the Switch takes to catch and pass the WiiU. You have to figure that most of the current Switch buyers are among the 12 million WiiU owners.

The Argus

Still can't find a pro controller. Ugh. I had one from Amazon that LaserShit lost. It hurt a lot, but Amazon gave me an extra $40 for the ordeal (4+ hours on hold with LS). Really hope new stock comes in soon.

HeroR

Why did you quote me?

Meant to quote the person you were responding to. Sorry about that.

Before the Wii released, no one was talking about Wii Sports. It was basically 1, 2 Switch. It was all about Zelda and the Wii's lineup was called weak. Wii Sports didn't become a topic until weeks later when the casual market fell in love with it.

Mael

This. I think we should wait see how long the Switch takes to catch and pass the WiiU. You have to figure that most of the current Switch buyers are among the 12 million WiiU owners.

That literally makes no sense.
The main driver for Switch adoption is Zelda BotW which is also present on WiiU.
Do WiiU owners like buying hardware that much or something?

Before the Wii released, no one was talking about Wii Sports. It was basically 1, 2 Switch. It was all about Zelda and the Wii's lineup was called weak. Wii Sports didn't become a topic until weeks later when the casual market fell in love with it.

Hmmm, e3 2006 tells a really different story.
People were plenty excited for Wiisports.
I'll dig up gaf we shoudl have enough to show

Vitacat

If any new Switch owner needs a copy of BOTW, I have an extra one since I snagged a copy of the Special Edition after already buying the regular version. Perfect condition CIB, asking $40 + shipping. Please PM if interested.

TS-08

Uh, this thing it going to blow past the Wii U. And no, I actually don't necessarily figure that most of the current Switch buyers or would-be buyers are Wii U owners. I'm not.

I can't believe people are still acting like the Switch selling more than the Wii U is still in doubt.

psychotron

Glad I bought the classic controller because the joycons are unusable from a few feet away. Will Nintendo exchange just the joycons or make me send the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom