• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
the range of giving a fuck vibes I've gotten from the GameStop employees I've interacted with in my experience spans quite a distance. take everything and anything they say with the biggest grain of salt you can.

Kar L

And then we have the some of the stores themselves saying they're getting them "some time from today until friday, dunno."

What PR is telling us, and what corporate is telling them, aren't the same.
Gamestop employees don't know anything. Not to mention their hidden corporate agendas, as well as personal gripes with having to deal with customers asking the same question for the 1,000th time. So they say whatever they feel like saying. A Gamestop employee is a source of misinformation more often than not.

I went into GS today to buy an extra Switch system and they were already gone so the guy tried to hard sell me on some $500 bundle pre-order "guaranteed delivery by the 31st".

Unicorn

Was gonna go at 5 am to get one from Walmart but got cold feet. Out of stock everywhere now again.

This is rough. I may just return Zelda and wait to buy it used or something this fall when stock may actually be attainable through stores I have credit for already.

Also the amount of first time seller/scammers/scalpers on Amazon for this thing is ludicrous.

I'm done.

I've spent since launch day trying to hunt one down, gone into every local store countless times, and am officially giving up until they're readily available. This has turned into a massive waste of time, and I've lost all interest. Zelda will be there in the fall, assuming the Switch finally is.

Majmun

Couldn't find a Switch so I just snatched Zelda and a pro controller off the shelf

I now have a game that I can't play and a controller that I cannot use. Niceeeee

I'm done.

I've spent since launch day trying to hunt one down, gone into every local store countless times, and am officially giving up until they're readily available. This has turned into a massive waste of time, and I've lost all interest. Zelda will be there in the fall, assuming the Switch finally is.

Are you though? What happens when the trail gets hot again?

Update on me, after getting my Switch from Germany I finally got to play with it last night. It's pretty Flippin awesome, I really do hope you guys get one soon.

Are you though? What happens when the trail gets hot again?
Yeah, that sounds just like me during the Wii craze. I made that same speech so many damn times >_< Took 3 months of hell to find one.

I have to believe that the Switch situation won't be as bad as 2006-7. I made sure not to take any chances and preorder this time though, even though I was kind of iffy on it after that January reveal. So glad that I did.

Luschient

I'm done.

Same here. After my declaration yesterday that I was done wasting time trying to find one of these, it was hard as hell to not hit up the Gamestops in the area "just in case".

8w0W_f-maxage-0.gif

Dekutulla

Nothing new in stock at my GS, but at least I wasn't one of the people lined up outside waiting for their USPS shipment to show up. I feel bad for the lady working the desk, lol

Man, I just hope I can get one soon...

MTC100

Banned
It looks like Nintendo delivers roughly 50k Switch on a weekly basis to japan(which isn't shabby), I wonder how many units they ship each week in the USA and Europe...

I'm done.

I have to find one by the end of may for my son. Hope they're around.

psychotron

Couldn't find a Switch so I just snatched Zelda and a pro controller off the shelf

I now have a game that I can't play and a controller that I cannot use. Niceeeee

But when you do get that Switch, Zelda and the pro controller are going to be amazing.

The demand is still pretty insane. There were modest restocks at Target and now Gamestop and reseller prices are holding out steady. The prices tend to go down a couple weeks after console launch but it hasn't really moved much with the Switch. All my Gamestop that got them this morning are all sold out within the hour.

TS-08

The demand is still pretty insane. There were modest restocks at Target and now Gamestop and reseller prices are holding out steady. The prices tend to go down a couple weeks after console launch but it hasn't really moved much with the Switch. All my Gamestop that got them this morning are all sold out within the hour.

Yeah I just checked EBay, and the trending prices for both models are holding steady from where I remember seeing them last week. They may have actually ticked up slightly.

Aurongel

Fuck this.

My Gamestop in the Domain Austin TX had eight units they had a massive line for today. Once the crowd cleared I asked the manager about it and he said they don't know when they'll get another shipment and this was their first restock since launch.

It's crazy where I live.

General demand will be better gauged once we're out of the scalper period. Right now genuinely interested parties are competing with resellers out to make a buck. I think it will be like this until May or June at least, assuming Nintendo sticks by their goal to ramp up production.

Aurongel

that's pretty much been the case for every GameStop in the states as far as I can tell

well, maybe not the massive lines
The demand I've seen for the switch locally might align with others but the demand overall seems like a leap over the WiiU and even the Wii.

Jeff-DSA

Scalpers are circling stores every morning like vultures around here. My buddy works inside a Target at the pharmacy and he says every single day that there are the same 5-6 people that will buy up as many Switches and NES Minis that they can. Nothing makes it to the shelf because what they aren't allowed to buy, there's usually a few daily randoms that will take the rest.

I think they have only seen one Switch restock, but NES Minis keep coming and selling. There are quite a few on local classifieds.

Scalpers are circling stores every morning like vultures around here. My buddy works inside a Target at the pharmacy and he says every single day that there are the same 5-6 people that will buy up as many Switches and NES Minis that they can. Nothing makes it to the shelf because what they aren't allowed to buy, there's usually a few daily randoms that will take the rest.

I think they have only seen one Switch restock, but NES Minis keep coming and selling. There are quite a few on local classifieds.
i thought the switch didnt really work that well for the scalpers?

That's crazy, it doesn't seem lucrative enough to warrant the effort. What can you make for reselling a switch? $50?

TS-08

General demand will be better gauged once we're out of the scalper period. Right now genuinely interested parties are competing with resellers out to make a buck. I think it will be like this until May or June at least, assuming Nintendo sticks by their goal to ramp up production.

This is true, but you can still get an idea of the relative level of demand by looking at how successful the scalpers are. If they are consistently able to turn around and sell these things for $400 bucks or more, then demand is likely greatly outstripping supply even for genuine buyers. If it was a Wii U situation where the numbers were obviously inflated sognificantly by resellers, then there would be indications already.

Same here. After my declaration yesterday that I was done wasting time trying to find one of these, it was hard as hell to not hit up the Gamestops in the area "just in case".

If the launch lineup had been stronger, and it had a promising first year of games already announced, then I may think differently. The realization that I'm wasting hours and hours trying to get one because of hype, when there's only one game worth playing, put an end to my searches.

Best of luck to those still in the hunt. I'm out.

This is true, but you can still get an idea of the relative level of demand by looking at how successful the scalpers are. If they are consistently able to turn around and sell these things for $400 bucks or more, then demand is likely greatly outstripping supply even for genuine buyers. If it was a Wii U situation where the numbers were obviously inflated sognificantly by resellers, then there would be indications already.

Fair enough. I wish as a counter measure these stores imposed either restocking fees or a reduced retuen window for consoles within 2 months of release. Although in that case, it would be unfair to those who genuinely needed to return for reasons other they didn't get the ROI they wanted.

Finding a half dozen isn't easy. Most stores are selling as one per household

So you bring in a few people who can pose as separate buyers. Or you have stories like the one posted above, of the same people coming into a store daily and buying up stock. I figure if you set aside a couple days and hit up every gamestop, target, bestbuy, walmart in your area, depending on region you're bound to strike oil a few times. So maybe I shouldn't say easy, but doable for the extremely dedicated with time on their hands. Its frustrating for those of us who otherwise have a life and not dedicating our existence to squeezing launch supply for a game console.

If anyone's in Fort Lauderdale, there are 4 left at a Best Buy. I just happened to ask an associate, he checked and there were five sitting in the back. Grabbed one plus Zelda of course. So hyped. PM if you want to know exact location. Best hurry SoFlo bros.

Btw will only respond to the first 4 PMs so as not to disappoint anyone.

ScOULaris

If anyone's in Fort Lauderdale, there are 4 left at a Best Buy. I just happened to ask an associate, he checked and there were five sitting in the back. Grabbed one plus Zelda of course. So hyped. PM if you want to know exact location. Best hurry SoFlo bros.

Do you know if they are all grey or neon?

Dalto11

Got my Neon unit in from Amazon Spain today! Came in perfect condition, arrived within two days of shipment. No major issues so far :D, joycons seems to be working just fine from a distance.

The reason scalpers are able to make a buck is because of actual demand for the hardwareby the general public. This never happened with the Wii U, and only happened with the PS3/PS4/XBONE/360 just before launch. The price settled right after release of those.

If there was no demand, scalpers would have a hard time making money as the market will correct itself right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom