• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajanke

I got lucky. Went from nothing but errors on Best Buy, to having my order in, to having it back ordered, to having it shipped and arriving tomorrow lol.

HalfJoey

Neo Member
Wasn't there expected to be larger shipments towards the beginning of April? I know nothing is for certain.

I'm casually looking for a neon Switch. If I'm in a store I'll look, if I'm near a place I may call but only a couple times a week.

Like many people, I wish a store would just let you pre-order their next shipment. I just want to give a store my money and have them call/text me when they get the shipment in. Even if it's a couple months from now.

DTU

Banned
Seriously, fuck you EB Games.

Saw store stock was going green on their site, phoned ahead, asked if I could make it in 10 mins if there would be some left and he goes oh for sure. They won't reserve/hold though, even for ten minutes. I walk in just in time to see the lady in front of me finish purchasing the last one.

What did you expect? They told you the policy and they stuck to it.

Saw store stock was going green on their site, phoned ahead, asked if I could make it in 10 mins if there would be some left and he goes oh for sure. They won't reserve/hold though, even for ten minutes. I walk in just in time to see the lady in front of me finish purchasing the last one.

Three young dudes working there, I have to say they've gotta be phoning their friends the instant stock comes for everything to fly out the door that fast. Such bullshit, if I even bother hunting for a Switch again I'm skipping that goddamn store.

NEVER had a good experience there.

this is the issue in my eyes. You think you are more important than others in which you arent. People are equal, people have equal right, and maybe people never understand this or feel this but there was no issue there. Why is there a reason to hold for you and the others are unable to buy. Where does this make any sense to you ?

If people understood that people are equal then we would have a much simpler life, but no it's a me only/first attitude out there. I get it, I am not completely blaming you but we can be smarter. People are not important over others simply, she got there. It is what it is and doesn't need anger. Maybe they are phoning their friends, maybe not? But hell, friends are likely.

at the end of the day it is just a games system, not worth getting angry over and let's keep that in mind..

Blam

Three young dudes working there, I have to say they've gotta be phoning their friends the instant stock comes for everything to fly out the door that fast. Such bullshit, if I even bother hunting for a Switch again I'm skipping that goddamn store.

Why would you call and ask you calling made you late. If you see it's in stock then you should just go and buy it.

I guarantee that woman you saw did what I just suggested.

Personally I'd have called on the way there.

You sound like a real piece of work.

Like this is ANYBODY's fault. It's probably yours, but you're pulling a POTUS and blaming everybody else for your "failure to launch," so to speak.

Sorry if cursory political references are against the rules here, and feel free to remove if so, but it was an apt comparison that came to mind reading about how this guy was blaming other people for doing their job and then complaining and coming up with unfounded conspiracy theories to fit his world view.

I'm a hard out on this poster, and anybody like him.

ParityBit

According to iStock there may be some in the store near where I live. I work .... so thus there is no way they will be there when I get out and back to my area.

I wish I knew when Amazon would have more and hopefully it is not 3AM when they post them yet again.

Really frustrating.

Walked into GameStop yesterday looking for a screen protector. Walked out with a Pro Controller. They had a bunch of accessories on the rack, including Neon joycons. This was in Charlotte, NC.

thatJohann

NYC Gaf

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning on returning my Grey Nintendo Switch to Best Buy this afternoon. I only used it for an hour, but Best Buy will mark it as open and send it to be destroyed.

If anyone in NYC wants to buy it off me, send me a PM. Otherwise, I'll return to Best Buy this afternoon.

NYC Gaf

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning on returning my Grey Nintendo Switch to Best Buy this afternoon. I only used it for an hour, but Best Buy will mark it as open and send it to be destroyed.

If anyone in NYC wants to buy it off me, send me a PM. Otherwise, I'll return to Best Buy this afternoon.

Go here. Someone will take it off you within hours.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221967

Scotch

Like this is ANYBODY's fault. It's probably yours, but you're pulling a POTUS and blaming everybody else for your "failure to launch," so to speak.

Sorry if cursory political references are against the rules here, and feel free to remove if so, but it was an apt comparison that came to mind reading about how this guy was blaming other people for doing their job and then complaining and coming up with unfounded conspiracy theories to fit his world view.

That's a very apt analogy actually. Well put.

hemo memo

Gold Member
My order from UK was expected for delivery on the 14 of April. Then it got despatched and jump to 4 of April. Then today someone from the shipping company called me to tell me he's waiting outside my apartment for my delivery.

I'm not in the apartment, out of town and planned it so i'll be back befoe the expected delivery date... That didn't go well.

meanspartan

What is the logic on why they don't just allow back orders?

Why can't amazon and whoever else just have a waiting list of sorts so people can purchase and then just sit back and relax?

What is the logic on why they don't just allow back orders?

Why can't amazon and whoever else just have a waiting list of sorts so people can purchase and then just sit back and relax?

Backorders usually entail a guarantee of product.
With the way Nintendo has historically handled these situations, I can't blame retailers for not bothering.

Really, a POTUS comparison? Come on now. First:

I'm not blaming the woman who bought the last one, like someone else suggested. I don't think I'm more important than that person, and I never suggested that I was.

Why would you call and ask you calling made you late. If you see it's in stock then you should just go and buy it.

I guarantee that woman you saw did what I just suggested.

Personally I'd have called on the way there.

I called that particular store because it was on my way home, so I didn't sit around calling until I reached a store with stock THEN headed out, or something. My point was that I asked the guy straight up if it was even worth my while to stop at that store given how much stock he has (their site never says numbers and neither do the employees when asked), so I'm relying on an honest answer from the guy on the phone.

Some context might help for those jumping onto the pile-on here. EB Games in my area has always been a terrible experience. Just as an example, they straight up sold a preordered item I had to someone who walked in waving cash some years back, after calling me to my item was ready to pick up (others I know had similar issues). It's been a long time since I bothered giving them any attention when it came to gaming, but I figured I'd give them another chance here. Since they keep stock information so close to their chests you rely on honest answers from whoever picks up the phone.

That's why I'm frustrated.

The thing is there's literally no way in my area to order/reserve/etc. a Switch in my area. Amazon.ca's out, Bestbuy.ca has locked off the reserve and store stock indicators for this area, as has EBGames. And for the record, it's not like I gave the kid at the store or the lady a hard time or anything of the sort; we both sort of "welp!"ed about it and moved on.

Really, a POTUS comparison? Come on now. First:

I'm not blaming the woman who bought the last one, like someone else suggested. I don't think I'm more important than that person, and I never suggested that I was.

I called that particular store because it was on my way home, so I didn't sit around calling until I reached a store with stock THEN headed out, or something. My point was that I asked the guy straight up if it was even worth my while to stop at that store given how much stock he has (their site never says numbers and neither do the employees when asked), so I'm relying on an honest answer from the guy on the phone.

Some context might help for those jumping onto the pile-on here. EB Games in my area has always been a terrible experience. Just as an example, they straight up sold a preordered item I had to someone who walked in waving cash some years back, after calling me to my item was ready to pick up (others I know had similar issues). It's been a long time since I bothered giving them any attention when it came to gaming, but I figured I'd give them another chance here. Since they keep stock information so close to their chests you rely on honest answers from whoever picks up the phone.

That's why I'm frustrated.

The thing is there's literally no way in my area to order/reserve/etc. a Switch in my area. Amazon.ca's out, Bestbuy.ca has locked off the reserve and store stock indicators for this area, as has EBGames. And for the record, it's not like I gave the kid at the store or the lady a hard time or anything of the sort; we both sort of "welp!"ed about it and moved on.

Do you use Twitter? if so, follow @wario64 and put his updates on alert.

Oh awesome. Followed then, thanks for the tip man.

NP. He's extremely helpful in these trying times. Shit he's helpful all the time and I've been following him for a couple years now.

Anywho, weird question, but are Canadians able to buy off Amazon.com? Do you have to pay some sort of import tax or really expensive shipping?

NP. He's extremely helpful in these trying times. Shit he's helpful all the time and I've been following him for a couple years now.

Anywho, weird question, but are Canadians able to buy off Amazon.com? Do you have to pay some sort of import tax or really expensive shipping?
Depends on the products, most electronics won't ship to Canada. :( There's rarely a customs cost when buying from Amazon.com though, just the conversion from USD to Canuckbucks.

evil ways

Toys R Us are getting a hardware shipment the week of april 3-5, but it's being held for the sunday 9th ad. Not sure if it's nationwide or just my store. I'll update when I see the actual stock on the back room.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Any other company having shortages this far from launch I could forgive, but this is Nintendo.

They have a long history of never shipping enough units.

Seriously get your shit together! Don't try a global launch if you can handle it.

Neoweee

Any other company having shortages this far from launch I could forgive, but this is Nintendo.

They have a long history of never shipping enough units.

Seriously get your shit together! Don't try a global launch if you can handle it.

Except for their last two systems, which they wildly overshipped.

Metroxed

Just visited a GAME store here in northern Spain and there was plenty of everything in stock: Switches, games and even some bundles.

Futureman

NYC Gaf

why are you returning and why would Best Buy destroy the Switch....??

Reminder that Walmart is allegedly releasing pre-orders that haven't been picked up Saturday, April 1. Check with your local store.

Also, I don't understand why scalpers include pics of their giant stacks of consoles when posting on craigslist. It's like they're openly advertising how much of an asshole they are.

One Walmart near me has 15 unsold switches since launch. Not one person has picked up their pre-order? Very confused but I guess I can wait for the number to go down.

Schlep

For four days in a row now, the Target about 3 minutes from me has had stock. Best Buy 5 minutes away has stock. I've already got mine, but it looks like demand is starting to be met in Ft. Worth.

Cornbread78

One Walmart near me has 15 unsold switches since launch. Not one person has picked up their pre-order? Very confused but I guess I can wait for the number to go down.

This is probably the same scalper under different names (family members/friends, etc) all keeping them there until they sell for high profit. (I'm happy consumers are getting smarter and waiting)

I've heard from some scalpers that they are not selling as well and for as much profit as they had hoped for this time around (similar to the Wii-U)

And yes, after 30 days, Wal-Mart refunds pre-orders and releases the consoles back onto the shelves at different times. (Sat. 4/1)

PSFan

Reminder that Walmart is allegedly releasing pre-orders that haven't been picked up tomorrow, April 1. Check with your local store.

Also, I don't understand why scalpers include pics of their giant stacks of consoles when posting on craigslist. It's like they're openly advertising how much of an asshole they are.

Tomorrow is March 31. April 1 is Saturday

Evil Beaver

I got one from BestBuy.com yesterday. It took 35 minutes though, their site kept bugging out adding the item to the cart and trying to apply my payment.

This is probably the same scalper under different names (family members/friends, etc) all keeping them there until they sell for high profit. (I'm happy consumers are getting smarter and waiting)

I've heard from some scalpers that they are not selling as well and for as much profit as they had hoped for this time around (similar to the Wii-U)

And yes, after 30 days, Wal-Mart refunds pre-orders and releases the consoles back onto the shelves at different times. (Sat. 4/1)

If I'm being honest, I had planned on being a dirty scalper up until the week before launch. When I saw they were only going for $400 I decided to just give my preorders away. Didn't think it was worth the hassle of boxing them up and shipping them myself.

The Wii, on the other hand, was a scalper's dream for the launch season. I would camp out overnight at Nintendo World and then turn around and sell it for $500 to someone on the street. I sold one for $600 that I camped out for at Target, right in the parking lot. Woman rolled up in a red Mercedes Benz, came out in all furs. I was with my brother in law and his friend. She called her friends and they rolled up in a Bentley and BMW 10 minutes later and bought theirs.

Hamhock

Neo Member
For four days in a row now, the Target about 3 minutes from me has had stock. Best Buy 5 minutes away has stock. I've already got mine, but it looks like demand is starting to be met in Ft. Worth.
Could you let me know which target that is? I might try driving out there tonight since I still can't find the console anywhere near me.

Check Fry's in Plano. There were 4 left at 1.
Thanks, I didn't have a chance to drive out that way yesterday. I'm thinking they are probably out of stock by now. I actually have to go to Plano tonight anyway so I might just stop by.

Zimmy68

Stopped by local GameStop to pick up a pro controller and they had 2 Switches sitting behind the counter to sell.
Also got a notice from wal mart that they have them back in stock.
This is Clearwater, Fl area.

Looks like the stock situation is getting better.

Bullza2o

My friend doesn't like preorders so he declined my offer to keep my extra preorder for him (I then canceled it). He tried to look for a Switch in the afternoon during launch day --of course he couldn't find any. I kept notifying him whenever there was stock online, but he didn't want to buy online either...

Recently he told me he'll just wait for a special edition themed Switch (like the Pikachu-themed 3DS or Wind Waker Wii U). Is there even a chance something like that will come out this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom