• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how's Smash with the GamePad?

For me, it's actually better than with the pro controller. GC is of course still king, but the adapter is sold out everywhere :/. Honestly don't want to play it until I have that.

I just got banned for 10 minutes online because my fingers only understood the Gamecube's C-Stick positioning for aerials. I reached below the face buttons only to accidentally press + and end up fumbling in a panic (I was off stage falling) and accidentally pressing Ok to quit the match.

So while I think the Gamepad is an amazing controller for any other game, for Smash it goes against what you are used to.

its alright, i can grab easy and show them my moves decently , its good for when i want to play on my bed

gonna try my gamecube controller next

It's pretty much identical to playing with the Wii Pro Controller and works fine. Only awkward thing is hitting the bumpers, a, and start to quit a match is terrible with the Gamepad.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
it's pretty good, but it works better if you set the grab to the bumpers and the shield to the trigger...

or alternatively, left trigger = grab, and right trigger = shield.
in summary: bumpers kinda suck, triggers are cool.

also, Pro controller is also a good option to play, comfy as fuck and it will work on other games too.

This! Works fine, but after playing so much of the 3ds version I was like lolwut at first with both triggers being the same and bumpers were block. Switched it up and now I'm good!

It's basically unusuable for me because of the rumble.

Seriously, this game rumbles every time you move the cursor or hit a button. It rumbles when your character does anything. And the rumble is extremely loud, like an electric toothbrush. There aren't different levels of rumble, it's on full blast the entire time.

I like to use the Gamepad headphone jack to play games while people in my house are sleeping, but the rumble is so stupidly loud I have to use the gamepad and pro controller at the same time just to avoid making that insanely loud buzzing.

You can turn off rumble during fights, but not while navigating menus, which is annoying...

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
It's basically unusuable for me because of the rumble.

Seriously, this game rumbles every time you move the cursor or hit a button. It rumbles when your character does anything. And the rumble is extremely loud, like an electric toothbrush. There aren't different levels of rumble, it's on full blast the entire time.

I like to use the Gamepad headphone jack to play games while people in my house are sleeping, but the rumble is so stupidly loud I have to use the gamepad and pro controller at the same time just to avoid making that insanely loud buzzing.

You can turn off rumble during fights, but not while navigating menus, which is annoying...

Turn off rumble in the home menu. That's the first thing i did after experience the gamepads phone "rumble".

Balb

It's pretty awful. I had to use the GamePad for a bit because my GameStop didn't get the GC adapter at midnight and it felt bad. As soon as I got the adapter and plugged in the GameCube controller the game felt perfect.

Its perfectly fine. Your gonna get a bunch of negative answers though because people are never gonna move on from the GCube controller for Smash.

Illucio

Banned
The controls are fine, but I just didn't like it... It's just too big for of a control mapped for Smash. I do like the more control options, but I felt confused with the grabbing/shield. The 3DS was much better where the buttons where mapped and how close the controls are.

I think I just may pick up the adapter as soon as I can find one and play with the gamecube controller. Or maybe buy a Wii U pro controller (I will probably wait it out until I find them on sale.)

Top Bottom