• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I got the God of War Saga today... and the codes were expired

LiK

why on earth would they have expiration dates for a collection like this in the first place? that is beyond stupid.

Are you serious?! I was literally looking at my sealed copy this game in the face when I was home for Spring Break 3 days ago, debating whether to bring it back with me to the dorms. Now it's 350 miles away, and you're telling me the codes in it are going to expire? What a boneheaded move by Sony.

Mairu

According to an email from Sony to Gamestop, all of the codes have been extended a year. So it shouldn't expire until 3/31/2014. Our Sony rep said it was a misprint, now its just a lack of Sony calling this out on their blog that is still confusing customers.

Not sure why it would have an expiration date at all especially considering there's nothing on the box anywhere that lists that you have to redeem the downloads by a certain date. My code didn't work, had to scan and send photos+receipt to Sony... and now I wait.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
If its an email from Sony to Gamestop, which I read, I'd say that's a pretty firm confirmation. Also stated from my Sony rep.

Am on the phone now with a rep hes looking into the issue. So seems like you had actual eyes on to the email itself which changes things. But if thats the case I wonder why some here are saying their codes are a no go?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Apparently it seems I need to go through the following process to get a new code...

Taken from the email below.

----

Recently you requested assistance with a voucher code that is to be redeemed on the PlayStation®Network.

Please follow the instructions below so we may assist you with your request

What you need to do :

Please email a copy of your printed store receipt and a photo/scan of the front and back of your voucher to: pscustomer_service@playstation.sony.com.

The receipt must include:

Store Name
Item Name
Price
Purchase Date

Please note:

We do not accept handwritten receipts as valid proof of purchase.

We only accept images in PDF, JPG, BMP, and GIF form.
We do not accept .EXE or .ZIP files.
The combined total of all images must be less than 5 MB.

-------

So with that being said perhaps there isnt an actual extension going on if this is what I have to do? Either that or Sony's idea of an extension is making folks go through the hoops to get what they paid for a good idea i have no clue.

On the up side at least the rep I had spoken with was professional and got everything banged out quick, so that was highly appreciated.

This was for the US version of the game.

GatorBait

Apparently it seems I need to go through the following process to get a new code...

Taken from the email below.

----

Recently you requested assistance with a voucher code that is to be redeemed on the PlayStation®Network.

Please follow the instructions below so we may assist you with your request

What you need to do :

Please email a copy of your printed store receipt and a photo/scan of the front and back of your voucher to: pscustomer_service@playstation.sony.com.

The receipt must include:

Store Name
Item Name
Price
Purchase Date

Please note:

We do not accept handwritten receipts as valid proof of purchase.

We only accept images in PDF, JPG, BMP, and GIF form.
We do not accept .EXE or .ZIP files.
The combined total of all images must be less than 5 MB.

-------

So with that being said perhaps there isnt an actual extension going on if this is what I have to do? Either that or Sony's idea of an extension is making folks go through the hoops to get what they paid for a good idea i have no clue.

On the up side at least the rep I had spoken with was professional and got everything banged out quick, so that was highly appreciated.

This was for the US version of the game.

In theory I love an all digital future; in practice, I hate it for virtually everything other than iOS platforms thus far.

Buying a piece of paper in a store isn't the "All Digital Future".

Codes that expire is super common with things like digital copies of movies that come with Blu-Rays and DVDs, or MP3s that come with Records. That said, it's pretty shitty to advertize a game collection where part of the games included eventually disappear, even if you never tear off the plastic. If you're gonna package codes that expire in that fashion, at the least you need to clearly indicate those games are available as a "limited time offer".

HardRojo

Out of curiosity I googled about God of War Omega and just realized it's exclusive to Latin America. o_0

It's kinda useful, apart from the pretty box and the Kratos statue, it has a steelbook with the three discs. I'm not sure why it wasn't released on the states and you can find it for about $45 or so around here quite easily.

$45? Damn! It is 300 Soles here in Peru, that is roughly $120 so even when I'm a GoW fan (I bought GoW 3's CE on release day while I was in the states) but I won't spend that much for a collection of games I already have, the steelcase is pretty nice, I'll give them that.

To OP: Sony surprises me with this one, the collection is roughly a year old(?) and the codes don't even last for at least 2-3 years?

Petrae

Stuff like this (among other reasons) is why I'm done with modern console gaming when last-gen support ends. Disappearing components of software that you buy-- brand new, no less-- is unacceptable to me as a consumer.

Velcro Fly

On a similar note, the free PS+ months I had from the black friday Vita deal expired a few weeks ago. I don't really care that much because I probably wouldn't have used them much anyway, but it kinda sucks.

Eusis

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept bumping that up a year until they no longer printed it. And possibly just let it linger because well fuck it. They ARE games advertised as part of the collection, not a neat little piece of DLC for new/early buyers.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The hell? I own this and its unopened. I didnt know there were codes. This is stupid.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is me! Fortunately I bought it online (towards the end of last year!) so I was able to pull up the invoice from my email.

I did too. Why the hell would they have codes that expire. That is dumb,

All online vouchers expire. Usually a year after a game is released in retail. EA online passes do too, it's an industry wide thing.

All online vouchers expire. Usually a year after a game is released in retail. EA online passes do too, it's an industry wide thing.
That's why I wish all this stuff could just be included on the dick. Or have another one. It is one thing I liked about Bethesda's GOTY games.

That's why I wish all this stuff could just be included on the dick.

I do too.

So, it's just some extra stuff that you have to provide?
Cool, cool. Sounds like an easy fix.
I'll pick up a copy for a friend, since he is loving the newest God of War.
I'm hoping it will help him understand the lore.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yup, I heard about this so I bought the collection last week and redeemed the codes right away. It's been mentioned but all codes expire, friends.

Petrae

Fair point, though losing online play isn't the same as losing actual games that are promised as part of the package.

I got this game on the cheap a while back. I already owned the GoW Collection, and bought this one solely with the intention of getting a disc copy of the HD PSP remakes (it was actually cheaper than getting the Origins Collection at the time, so I figured why not). I also wanted to play the games without burdening my dangerously close to full HDD. Nowhere in the product description did it mention the games were download only, nor was there any reason to suspect as much since the games were already available separately on disc in another collection.

The game sat on my shelf for a while before I pulled it out and realized they only included a code for CoO and GoS. I figured I would just do a trade with someone here on GAF who was more into having the downloadable versions, until I saw a warning a couple days ago that the voucher was expiring. So I begrudgingly redeemed the code, and of course there isn't even enough space to download and install them both, even after "cleaning the fridge". Such a pain in the ass. Needless to say I'm not thrilled with Sony's cheap ass tactics. I was similarly annoyed by having to install games from the Journey collection, even though they are on disc. From now on I will be more wary of Sony's retail collections.

krae_man

Those expiry dates seem needlessly short. The expiry dates for the digital copies on The Blurays I buy are like 2026.

I'm embellishing, but they are a hell of a lot longer then 7 months.

Chris FOM

Dammit, lost my inFamous download codes. I'll have to call Sony tomorrow. FWIW I had this happen with my Uncharted 2 GOTY Edition, and did get them to reactivate the code over the phone. It took forever, and I had to escalate, but I reiterated that nowhere on the external packaging did it indicate that a, any of the advertised content was not contained on disc but had to be downloaded, and b, that any of the content had an expiration date. After hammering the guy for a good 30 minutes over this he finally relented and actually reactivated the code.

Conversely I had a similar problem with EA. Their customer support was outstanding. I explained to the rep what had happened and he immediately took down the code and turned them back on, then had me download the content to make sure it all went through. Night and day difference.

Toppot

Of course they expire! Using Sony's system there is only 6,582,952,005,840,035,281 possible combinations! That's six quintillion, five hundred and eighty two quadrillion, nine hundred and fifty two trillion, five billion, eight hundred and forty million, thirty five thousand, two hundred and eighty one. They need the codes to expire so they can reuse them!

In all seriousness, they have an expiration date so that you can't just hang onto it and resell it later. This stops games being worth so much second hand and stops people stocking up on games to resell when rare.

Of course they expire! Using Sony's system there is only 6,582,952,005,840,035,281 possible combinations! That's six quintillion, five hundred and eighty two quadrillion, nine hundred and fifty two trillion, five billion, eight hundred and forty million, thirty five thousand, two hundred and eighty one. They need the codes to expire so they can reuse them!

In all seriousness, they have an expiration date so that you can't just hang onto it and resell it later. This stops games being worth so much second hand and stops people stocking up on games to resell when rare.

How and why should a digital game ever become rare?

Meanwhile, the OP bought the game yesterday at retail. Any way you slice it the voucher is pretty blatantly anti-consumer, and therefore worthy of ridicule.

Toppot

How and why should a digital game ever become rare?

Not all codes in retail games are for digital games, they are sometimes for DLC, regardless:

How and Why? Sometimes a publisher goes out of business, a contract ends, other legal issues arise and a game is no longer sold online and is taken down/removed from sale. Leaving only people with a code, or with the game already in their library/download list, to get and play it.

See THQ in Europe as a recent example:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/THQ-...Still-Available-in-North-America-341580.shtml

Meanwhile, the OP bought the game yesterday at retail. Any way you slice it the voucher is pretty blatantly anti-consumer, and therefore worthy of ridicule.

Does Sony not have a system in place so that legitimate buyers who can prove they purchased a game new, get the code reactivated/a new code? Oh yes, they do, as stated in this thread.

Not all codes in retail games are for digital games, they are sometimes for DLC, regardless:

How and Why? Sometimes a publisher goes out of business, a contract ends, other legal issues arise and a game is no longer sold online and is taken down/removed from sale. Leaving only people with a code, or with the game already in their library/download list, to get and play it.

See THQ in Europe as a recent example:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/THQ-...Still-Available-in-North-America-341580.shtml

Does Sony not have a system in place so that legitimate buyers who can prove they purchased a game new, get the code reactivated/a new code? Oh yes, they do, as stated in this thread.
Get the hell out of here. It shouldn't be an issue. That's it.

Toppot

Get the hell out of here. It shouldn't be an issue. That's it.

Well thank you for that well thought out rational and logical reply =P I have explained why codes have expatriation dates. Yes, it might not be easier and yes it might be a bit of a hassle but it makes for a fairer system. People always want things to be fairer, but as soon as something becomes fairer, but to that persons disadvantage, they will often bitch and moan about how 'bad' it is.

I agree. Knowingly selling someone a product that is dysfunctional is thievery. Sony needs to own up to this.

It's Sony's fault that the shop didn't sell the copy fast enough? Or that is distributer ordered too much stock? I very, very much doubt Sony is printing expired codes out. To be fair, Sony could of printed too many copies, and you are welcome to prove that if you can.

Well thank you for that well thought out rational and logical reply =P
Illogical statements don't deserve well thought-out replies.

It's Sony's fault that the shop didn't sell the copy fast enough? Or that is distributer ordered too much stock? I very, very much doubt Sony is printing expired codes out. To be fair, Sony could of printed too many copies, and you are welcome to prove that if you can.
You're really defending a company that allows a store to sell a product that is defective? Without a working code for 2 of the promised 5 games, they are by design selling someone an inferior product. Sony may have printed too many copies, but that is their fault and not the consumer's. The consumer should not have to worry that the code in their brand new game is expired.

Even if the content is no longer for sale on a digital store, codes should be honored as long as they are sold unless printed as such on the box.

zroid

Banned
Woah, I've been under the impression all along that it was physical versions of all 5 games. How shitty.

Is anyone else bothered that they would sell you a disc but put some of the advertised content as digital only? Just seems backwards to me.

Eusis

Annoyingly it sounds like EA actually STICKS with this unlike other companies that seem to just slap an arbitrary date there as an insurance policy.

Though it doesn't help that Sony seems to semi-frequently print outright wrong codes. Argh.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well... I neglected to put mine in. Not happy about it, but I'll never make this mistake again. Truth is I probably would never have played them anyway so I'm not that upset.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fucking hell... I'm 75% sure I haven't redeemed my codes. And I'll have to till tomorrow to verify. I'm not happy about this at all.

Did anyone have any luck with calling Sony?

Top Bottom