• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I got the God of War Saga today... and the codes were expired

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Scratch that, the SEN store works on my iPad and I was able to get a hold of my voucher. It clearly states 3/31 as the expiration date, but I tried and it went through. Now everything is on my download list.

Thank fucking goodness.

Still, what a shitty thing to do. I feel bad for everyone who can't redeem the codes anymore or the unsuspecting customers who just picked up the Saga. I hold them responsible for at least not holding a PSA, warning everyone who's about to purchase "5 games!!"

antic604

Banned
Yeah, I have to contribute as well - not only the PSP ports are not included on the disc, the downloads expire, but I couldn't actually use them in Polans, because they're available for US & Canada only! I purchased the Saga over internet, because I've not played any of GoW games, so I thought it would be best to have them all-in-one. Imagine how surprised I was I couldn't download them. Luckily, I could sat up a fake US account and get it, but it simply shouldn't be that way. I paid for it and I should be entitled to use it wherever and whenever I am. Hope Sony rectifies those issues for PS4.

Toppot

Illogical statements don't deserve well thought-out replies.

I explained, with evidence, why digital titles can go rare. (I can give other examples like Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Xbox Live) and also showed that expiration codes weren't anti-consumer as Sony has a system in place for legitimate buyers to get codes reactivated or replaced.

Those are both perfectly logical as far as I can see, if either of those isn't then please educate me.

You're really defending a company that allows a store to sell a product that is defective? Without a working code for 2 of the promised 5 games, they are by design selling someone an inferior product. Sony may have printed too many copies, but that is their fault and not the consumer's. The consumer should not have to worry that the code in their brand new game is expired.

Even if the content is no longer for sale on a digital store, codes should be honored as long as they are sold unless printed as such on the box.

Sony has little to no control to choose when a store has to stop selling a game. If they give the game to a distributer or retailer in working condition, it is their responsibility to sell it before it expires, not Sony's. It would be like buying an expired chocolate bar in a supermarket, then having a go at the chocolate manufacturer for the supermarket selling you gone off food. (The fact food has the expatriation date on the outside bares no difference as the store shouldn't sell, or display, expired produce)

As stated before, Sony will replace codes that have expired so long as you can prove you bought the game, I'm not seeing where Sony is tricking people?

Yeah, I have to contribute as well - not only the PSP ports are not included on the disc, the downloads expire, but I couldn't actually use them in Polans, because they're available for US & Canada only! I purchased the Saga over internet, because I've not played any of GoW games, so I thought it would be best to have them all-in-one. Imagine how surprised I was I couldn't download them. Luckily, I could sat up a fake US account and get it, but it simply shouldn't be that way. I paid for it and I should be entitled to use it wherever and whenever I am. Hope Sony rectifies those issues for PS4.

The Saga Collection only came out in America, the Omega Collection is the European equivalent you should have purchased. It is only the sites fault if they did not make clear you were buying an American version. PSN codes have always been region locked AFAIK.

Syriel

Sony has little to no control to choose when a store has to stop selling a game. If they give the game to a distributer or retailer in working condition, it is their responsibility to sell it before it expires, not Sony's. It would be like buying an expired chocolate bar in a supermarket, then having a go at the chocolate manufacturer for the supermarket selling you gone off food. (The fact food has the expatriation date on the outside bares no difference as the store shouldn't sell, or display, expired produce)

As stated before, Sony will replace codes that have expired so long as you can prove you bought the game, I'm not seeing where Sony is tricking people?

If such an expiration window were stated on the OUTSIDE of the box, it wouldn't be an issue.

In this case, a potential buyer has not idea that 2 of the 5 games advertised on the tin may have expired. It's not like they were a "limited time bonus" or anything of the sort. They were advertised as core content.

Toppot

If such an expiration window were stated on the OUTSIDE of the box, it wouldn't be an issue.

In this case, a potential buyer has not idea that 2 of the 5 games advertised on the tin may have expired. It's not like they were a "limited time bonus" or anything of the sort. They were advertised as core content.

People still getting the whole 5 games, it just requires contacting Sony's customer service.

Though I would agree with other people that they should of been put on a disc and people shouldn't have to download the 2 games in the first place, or should be informed 2 of them are downloads (I don't have the game so dunno what the box says exactly). Having them downloadable is Sony just being cheap.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well I contacted sony support since I have nothing better to do. Here is what I independently confirmed.

1. codes are being extended
2. they are trying to get the codes that came with the PS3 bundles working first
3. all codes, including from retail copies, should be valid again within the next 7 days at the latest (assuming they were not already redeemed, obviously). I was told to try once a day or so.
4. call them and have a receipt and your code if you still have problems after that

Chris FOM

Well I contacted sony support since I have nothing better to do. Here is what I independently confirmed.

1. codes are being extended
2. they are trying to get the codes that came with the PS3 bundles working first
3. all codes, including from retail copies, should be valid again within the next 7 days at the latest (assuming they were not already redeemed, obviously). I was told to try once a day or so.
4. call them and have a receipt and your code if you still have problems after that

This is true. My dead inFamous code reactivated itself last night on its own. Hopefully true for others as well.

Toppot

What about the killzone trilogy codes? What is it's expiration date??

Came out a bit later than the GoW Saga so it should be fine. If it is no longer valid then you can contact Sony Customer Support in your country and they should be able to reactivate it or give you a new one.

Do you guys think an unused Deimos skin code will be valid now?

Assuming that's from Ghost of Sparta PSP, that is a very old code. It's probably no longer valid, if it isn't then you can contact Sony Customer Support in your country and they should be able to reactivate it or give you a new one.

Everyone should remember that the Store is now online:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

No need to wait till you are with your PS3/PSP/PSVita, you can login online, click on your name and redeem a code.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just bumping to say I got the infamous collection today and the 3/31/13 expired code worked fine. So I guess they've fixed them maybe?

katkombat

Banned
Yeah

I bought Yakuza 3 and 4 from Newegg and the inbox codes were waaaaaaaaay passed their expiration date. but both still worked.

Was considering picking up this box sometime this summer myself. Guess I'll wait and see how this is resolved.

Coincidentally, I was planning to do the same!

CamHostage

People still getting the whole 5 games, it just requires contacting Sony's customer service.

Good for those people. The content I bought in my God of War III Legendary Edition is locked forever (which included some bonus content that I don't think you can even buy, that big documentary is I think still an exclusive? ~EDIT~ Checked and actually I can buy it, the doc is $5.99 SD / $9.99 HD.) I asked Sony and they instructed me to return the product to the retailer that sold it to me. (Not only had I bought it on day 1 and just hadn't imagined that paid content would be not on the disc and also irredeemable, but what's the store going to do, give me a new limited-quantities Legendary Edition to make it up to me?)

Maybe they're being careful to not pull the trigger on the GOW Saga because the quantities are still large on the streets, but here's what you will usually get when you contact Sony's customer service.

Thank you for taking the time to contact PlayStation® Technical Support... and I am happy to assist you with your inquiry regarding the God of War Vouchers..

Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to produce new vouchers, or extend the expiration date on these vouchers... I recommend contacting the retail store you purchased your game from, regarding a replacement voucher. All vouchers in games have an expiration date, once they have expired there is nothing we can do. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please accept my deepest apologies for any inconvenience, or disappointment, that this may have caused.

I'm not accusing Sony of unfair dealings, if they publicize that included coupons expire then that's their policy (although I don't remember at all the voucher being identified on my package, I never saw it on my GOW3 box and it's certainly not publicized as such on the packart or on retail sites for God of War Saga.) I also understand if Sony has to put an arbitrary expiration date on its redeemables just in case they fall into some legal issues if PSN changed or went offline and could no longer service customers. But if it's still in your system, waive the policy when consumers ask, don't penalize your customers because your lawyers forced you to play hardball with policy control. Give us what we pay for, simple as that.

Toppot

I would phone them up rather than email. There would be very few reasons they wouldn't be able to reactivate your code, possibly legal issues. As you say it is available on their store and they should be able to generate a code for you to download it. Them saying they can't do anything is an outright lie.

If they say the same thing on the phone then yes, Sony as being totally in the wrong in your case, they should provide you with a code for the interview/documentary.

In the interests of fairness they should make it clear when a game has codes that expire, on the box, not just inside, in a press release, or tell retailers.

EDIT: for what it's worth, the back of the God of War Saga box, does mention that the Collection is a download code. But it doesn't say they expire, though people are getting their games now and code's expirations are being extended.

EDIT 2: The back of the GoW 3 Ultimate Edition also lists the Documentary as downloadable content. But again no hint of expiration and as in your case they do not seem to be honouring it. Though again I would phone rather than email. Which is a hassle you shouldn't have to put up with, and it is squarely Sony's fault.

CamHostage

I would phone them up rather than email. There would be very few reasons they wouldn't be able to reactivate your code, possibly legal issues. As you say it is available on their store and they should be able to generate a code for you to download it. Them saying they can't do anything is an outright lie.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not furious, I just don't want people pshawing those who are worried about this because Sony has been graciously extending the offer for some people. Others are not finding this wall-to-redemption to be so tissue-thin. Some people are not so lucky, and in the future, the unlucky numbers will only increase. This is something these manufacturers need to really think about with the push towards digital, this and online-server-shutdown is a sketchy grey area that maybe they have some legal rights to pull but that they really need to weigh the customer value loss before making the ugly choice.

for what it's worth, the back of the God of War Saga box, does mention that the Collection is a download code. But it doesn't say they expire, though people are getting their games now and code's expirations are being extended

{EDIT - I just saw Toppot's helpful edit with links of the packaging. So, there you go, you have no idea that the content inside can be expired until you crack open the package, that seems highly dangerous for Sony to have any grounds for denying redemption customer.}

For sure is not something that they are disclosing with any regularity, they should be stickering the package with an expiration date if they are seriously not planning on honoring sealed package sales and they should be enforcing display terminology on websites that sell products which can expire. A store's not going to get away with selling expired milk.

Toppot

Yeah, like I said, I'm not furious, I just don't want people pshawing those who are worried about this because Sony has been graciously extending the offer for some people. Others are not finding this wall-to-redemption to be so tissue-thin. Some people are not so lucky, and in the future, the unlucky numbers will only increase. This is something these manufacturers need to really think about with the push towards digital, this and online-server-shutdown is a sketchy grey area that maybe they have some legal rights to pull but that they really need to weigh the customer value loss before making the ugly choice.

I think digital distribution and expiration on codes is definitely a valid topic of discussion. Sony only having this system in place for this generation means that there are problems with it as they are doing it 'on the fly' I would hope that they have a better system in place for PS4. I do have a bad feeling that it will take some massive screw up to get press coverage before they change policy and have expiry dates on boxes, or no expires at all.

{EDIT - I just saw Toppot's helpful edit with links of the packaging. So, there you go, you have no idea that the content inside can be expired until you crack open the package, that seems highly dangerous for Sony to have any grounds for denying redemption customer.}

For sure is not something that they are disclosing with any regularity, they should be stickering the package with an expiration date if they are seriously not planning on honoring sealed package sales and they should be enforcing display terminology on websites that sell products which can expire. A store's not going to get away with selling expired milk.

It is very dangerous not to have expiration dates clearly on the box, especially if they won't honour them for people that have legitimately bought the game (and can prove it obviously). I think you are right and they should do more for consumers to make labelling clear.

Fucking Sony. I wanted to trade my codes for physical copies but ended up using the code when I found out it was going to expire despite not even having enough room to DL both games to my HDD at once. Now they're extending the codes, but they didn't bother making the announcement until after the fact. Bullshit.

Zen

Banned
Mine had expired but I put them in (April 1st) and they worked fine. Baring that contact Sony.

Fucking Sony. I wanted to trade my codes for physical copies but ended up using the code when I found out it was going to expire despite not even having enough room to DL both games to my HDD at once. Now they're extending the codes, but they didn't bother making the announcement until after the fact. Bullshit.

Tell us about where exactly you can 'trade codes for p[physical copies'. First I've ever heard of it, and it's not bullshit.

Mine had expired but I put them in and they worked fine. Baring that contact Sony.

Tell us about where exactly you can 'trade codes for p[physical copies'. First I've ever heard of it, and it's not bullshit.

The codes were misprinted, they expire a year from that date.

I wanted to trade the codes with someone who preferred a digital copy to their physical copy.

And yes, it is bullshit. I mentioned already in this thread that I only bought Saga for Origins Collection on disc because it was on sale (I already have GoW Collection and GoW3). The product description did not explain that it was voucher only, which is strike one. Then it turns out that the codes were expiring rather quickly, which I only found out through sheer luck running across it online a day or two in advance. Strike two. So I use the codes rather than getting hosed on the entire reason I got this collection despite lacking HDD space, and then only days after the codes are set to expire does Sony bother to mention they will be renewing them. Exactly which part of this is not bullshit on Sony's behalf again?

Top Bottom