• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I have to play through Nier Automata 5 times to fully experience the game? [Nope]

Moaradin

I spent like 25-30 hours in Route A, so by the time I got to Route B, I had cleared out most of the side quest and spent very little time doing repeated content. Maybe 3 hours at most, and even then I enjoyed the added context.

I also never got tired of Hacking. I have to wonder if people generally relied on it too much? 9S is actually extremely strong without hacking lol. I did more damage with the spear on 9S than I did with any weapon with 2B. And he isn't really that limited compared to 2B. He still has light and heavy combos. The only thing he can't do is mix weapons.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually did most of my sidequests in route B and i still really enjoyed the hacking by the end of it.

You get to do some real wacky and depressing stuff with it too.

Ritzboof

im sure its been resolved by now, but this thread made me angry. yeah, thats precisely it, the same game 5 times. theres actually 26 endings, so thats the same game 26 times

in the on your way to ending B you play as 9S, which has a lot of its own new gameplay segments, the addition of hacking mechanics, and a vastly different perspective on the story. C is its own segment, and iirc D and E
branch out near at the end of C

its good to criticize a game before you finish a fraction of it and can be arsed to research whats coming up

Done with this thread, just like I'm done with Nier.

My opinion remains unchanged, they locked key content behind a second and boring play through, and that's just bad. If you enjoyed it, cool. I know I didn't, and looking at this thread and discussions outside of GAF, I know I'm not alone.

Time to start Bloodborne. :)

I don't care if you enjoyed the game or not. I think most of us are only here to reinform the misinformation you're spreading.

Keasar

No you dont.

Two endings require two playthroughs, each with a different character that unveils new story beats. The second one is gonna be muuuuuuuuuch shorter since side-quests are completed once between those two and you have no need to repeat them, only do the ones you've missed. Then you unlock a whole new third chapter with a third ending. Then the fourth ending can be easily accessed by just a short chapter select followed by the fifth ending directly after that.

No you dont.

Two endings require two playthroughs, each with a different character that unveils new story beats. The second one is gonna be muuuuuuuuuch shorter since side-quests are completed once between those two and you have no need to repeat them, only do the ones you've missed. Then you unlock a whole new third chapter with a third ending. Then the fourth ending can be easily accessed by just a short chapter select followed by the fifth ending directly after that.

This isn't exactly true. Route B adds a ton of new sidequests, and the point of no return in route A is telegraphed in a way that - and a point where - the majority of players won't notice.

I'm pretty sure route B ended up taking me just as long as route A.

mackmoney

This really makes very little sense when I say it aloud, but hey, if that's how you felt, then sure I guess.

Route A was tedious. It certainly had its moments, but it was repetitive and often enough I just wanted it to get over and hoped I wouldn't die at bosses after using up tons of recovery. Going through B right after that is far from ideal. Maybe as an extra mode or something like an Episode Gladiolus, something you come back to after completion to scratch the replay value itch while offering an alternative perspective.

Feeling it's a 7/10 or even lower is fine. But wow, it is so irksome when people have to throw in that unnecessary implication/snark about how only they can see the game for what it truly is, or something along those lines. That these "many gamers" are just wrong. Like no, it's just your opinion, that some certainly will agree with, but also many happen to feel quite differently about.

Fair enough, no disputing another person's taste. But a 7 is a pretty decent score. I can't imagine how anyone could see the game as GotY material, however.

This is one of the most frustrating threads I've ever read. The game is 30-40 hours max. I beat it in like 35 hours and that was doing every single quest. This "doesn't respect my time" thing is the most obnoxious thing to come out of gaming in a long time.
I've been saying this for a while. It's something game reviewers invented because they get all their games for free and have to play them on deadlines. All of a sudden anything over 8 hours is 'padding' and 70 dollar triple a games are praised for being short.

Now we've moved into the trendy 'this game doesn't respect my time' phrase which really just means 'I need to blow through this game in 2 days for an embargo deadline but it won't let me so I'm irate'. It makes no sense for normal paying customers to spout this rhetoric yet they do anyway.

'I'm busy I don't have time for long games'

Yes. You do. Apparently you have time for 8 short games instead of 1 or 2 longer ones. Either way, you're still going to play video games for the same amount of time each month.

I mean, there is the legitimate concern that games can be too long and have boring filler content or artificial difficulty but we've moved way, way beyond that point. Now any game that doesn't do exactly what you want or allow you to progress in your preferred manner is 'disrespecting my time' it's so eye roll worthy.

LordKasual

Banned
GAF is complaining about Nier now?

In just another thread people were saying its gameplay mechanics were bad?

what is even happening

what is even happening

Welcome to a world where apparently the suggestion of having to repeat content, even if it's entirely made up in the person's head, is a cardinal sin. Every game should be both a masterpiece and about 4 hours long because hey if Portal 2 can do it why can't Nier hmmmm?

I spent like 25-30 hours in Route A, so by the time I got to Route B, I had cleared out most of the side quest and spent very little time doing repeated content. Maybe 3 hours at most, and even then I enjoyed the added context.

I also never got tired of Hacking. I have to wonder if people generally relied on it too much? 9S is actually extremely strong without hacking lol. I did more damage with the spear on 9S than I did with any weapon with 2B. And he isn't really that limited compared to 2B. He still has light and heavy combos. The only thing he can't do is mix weapons.

This is me as well. I took my time on the route A and did almost every quest that I encountered, so in route B I only had to follow the main quest.

Route B is not that all bad if you don't hack every single enemy with 9S. He's a quite capable fighter especially with the spear.

Crayon

what is even happening

A lot of people are playing it due to the buzz. Some are going to give it a chance but not like it. That thread about the gameplay was legit, tho. It wasn't a shitshow like this one.

LotusHD

Banned
This is me as well. I took my time on the route A and did almost every quest that I encountered, so in route B I only had to follow the main quest.

Route B is not that all bad if you don't hack every single enemy with 9S. He's a quite capable fighter especially with the spear.

2nd playthrough I got the fabled Spear of the Usurper, made things a lot more interesting lol

Fair enough, no disputing another person's taste. But a 7 is a pretty decent score. I can't imagine how anyone could see the game as GotY material, however.

Some people really liked the story, among other things. There's no big secret to it. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's GOTY material because it's one of the best uses of unreliable narrators in gaming!

Opto

Banned

the game made me feel things unlike other games. people will probably tout Persona 5 as GOTY but honestly it didn't hit me emotionally, so its impact is going to be less felt if I ever put together a GOTY list

Personally I used the fist weapon charge attack for most of the game with 9S, it reliably destroyed most things in 1-2 charges, also using hacking when appropriate.. I actually didn't really enjoy 2B's combat style as much, if I had to rank each individual character's combat style I'd put them down as A2 > 9S > 2B.

My GOTY right now is Automata, with Zelda right after.

I loved it so much I am incorporating it into my book.

But I guess that's because I'm not as discerning at other gamers, who are also probably smarter and more handsome.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only the smartest and handsomest gamers realize BOTW is GOTY.

Only the smartest and handsomest gamers realize BOTW is GOTY.

I think Zelda is a better game, by a mile. In fact, I'd probably place it in my top five period.

But Nier Automata meant more to me. And it wasn't an accident that it did. It was crafted to mean more.

The idea that you have to be the equivalent of a game slut to not dislike it is pretty insulting, regardless of how politely people try to dress it up.

Route B goes faster than you think, especially if you take a liking to the new hacking mechanics. Maybe they could've made it a bit more different from Route A, but I found that some of the most tedious parts from Route A (like looking for 9S) were replaced with better ones in Route B, which helped it all feel like it ended faster.

I ended up completing Route A in 14h and Route B in 4h, and I can't wait to start to start Route C! The way they teased it after finishing the last route was amazing.

SlickVic

I haven't played the game yet, but the way I'm understanding how the game is set up with the different routes, I don't think I'll mind the backtracking too much. The term 'Endings' for each of these routes sounds like a bit of a misnomer, but I can understand how it got that name if the credits run after each one.

When I see credits scroll in a game when it's not the "true end", I think it always makes me pause a moment and reflect on whether I want to continue playing. Of course, you can always quit a game whenever you please, but there's just something about hitting a credits sequence in any game that forces a moment of reflection for me; to process what came before. Last game I played that did something similar was Gravity Rush 2. Hit the first credits sequence, and while I appreciated my time with the game, I decided I wasn't enjoying it enough to keep playing more to reach the actual ending of the game. I feel if I'm enjoying Nier enough by the time I hit the first "ending", I'd definitely like to see where it goes after that.

I mean, yes you are essentially replaying the first half of the game Before you can see the second half but:

- all levels, items, weapons, upgrades carry over.

-all side quest progress carries over.

-there are new enemy encounters, new dialogue, tons of new story implications, new cut scenes, some truly inspired use of the different character perspective

-a large part of the second playthrough is completely new content, and there are parts that are just skipped entirely. It's a lot shorter.

And holy shit. The second half of the game is amazing. Normally I'm all about gameplay. The only things I've truly enjoyed for years are the souls games, online multiplayer games and the occasional story based game like witcher 3. This game hit me like a bag of hammers. It's not like the combat is bad either. It's way better than say, witcher 3 or final fantasy xv. By a long shot in my opinion.

Nier automata was an entirely fresh, original experience for me. I've never played anything like it and I doubt I ever will again. Most games that strive to have 'meaning' or a 'message' fall pathetically short of the mark compared to this game.

I think Zelda is a better game, by a mile. In fact, I'd probably place it in my top five period.

But Nier Automata meant more to me. And it wasn't an accident that it did. It was crafted to mean more.

The idea that you have to be the equivalent of a game slut to not dislike it is pretty insulting, regardless of how politely people try to dress it up.

"game slut" ... what an awesome term. I love that. I've been with so many games that I can't remember their names, but I caught feelings for Nier Automata.

xabbott

It's a shame the wording/phrasing being used to describe the multiple endings. It gives a very different impression about how it plays. When I bought Nier I told myself I would only do the "main ending" and stop after I finished.

Well the game turned out better than I ever imagined. Once I started playthrough B I realized this wasn't a new game+ situation. This was storytelling as only a game could do it. Then when I hit C it was like I got a bonus game. Something I would have sadly expected as a DLC story or something. Beyond that, it's more like moments being played. Each ending happened quicker and quicker.

I know it has issues and I wouldn't be upset if it didn't get GOTY or if people dislike it. But its one of those games I will always think of and love. As a guy in his 30s, I don't find that in games very often anymore.

just to be clear there's nothing wrong with being a slut

i wish i knew more sluts

hemo memo

Gold Member

Yeah I'm clearing side quests but I don't know if I should keep
Robo Dojo
side quest and other hard ones to 9S.

Keasar

This isn't exactly true. Route B adds a ton of new sidequests, and the point of no return in route A is telegraphed in a way that - and a point where - the majority of players won't notice.

I'm pretty sure route B ended up taking me just as long as route A.

Right, but many sidequests are shared between the two characters. So if I did many of them in playthrough A, playthrough B will still be significantly shorter, even with the new ones.

And it's not really a "ton" of new sidequests, maybe 10-15 at the most. :p

That Chapter select screen says that each chapter have a number of sidequests but many of them are available in different chapters so they are shared over large parts of the arc.

Greddleok

I really like the game, but route B did feel like a chore to me. It's just the same shit all over again, with a slight decontextualisation. The problem is that the recontextualisation doesn't really become interesting until you're late into that route. There's also the problem that you have to play with a character who has to play a boring mini game to beat enemies.

The worst part of the mini game is that it's so repetitive. There's like what? 6 different versions? I was Ok with it at first, but when it became clear I'd have to do the same ones over and over I got a little annoyed.

fvng

Done with this thread, just like I'm done with Nier.

My opinion remains unchanged, they locked key content behind a second and boring play through, and that's just bad. If you enjoyed it, cool. I know I didn't, and looking at this thread and discussions outside of GAF, I know I'm not alone.

Time to start Bloodborne. :)

Oh well bro

1upsuper

Yup. I think BotW is one of the finest games ever, and it seemed like it would remain my GotY. But then I played through NieR 1 and now I'm working through Automata and now this is my new GotY. This series is absolutely amazing. And frankly, I can't believe nor understand the hate it's getting at all.

Top Bottom