• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I have to play through Nier Automata 5 times to fully experience the game? [Nope]

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
lol was the op banned due to this thread?

well deserved if so btw

Seems so. Though not for the topic and more that he doubled down so antagonistically.

I mean, I'll argue all day why I think the structure works, but at the end of the day if you don't like it, you don't like it. Cool, agree to disagree. Just there's no real need to act like a dick about it. On both sides probably.

BOTW's your GOTY?

I know she's pretty, but...

Whoa, whoa! It's not like that!

Damn, already banned, is it too late to grave dance? Is it bad form? Glory to mankind?

tumblr_olu1f0TdPl1w37294o5_r1_500.gif

Gbraga

I had to force myself through B. It makes you feel like you're playing through the game an additional 5 times because A itself can feel extremely repetitive on a stand-alone basis. With that said, I thought A and C were decent but the game isn't spectacular even without the repetitiveness of B forced upon the player. The game is still decent and worth playing, the story is interesting enough to see through, and it makes the most out of its limited resources. A 7/10 but not worthy of the hyperbolic praise it seems to get here from a constituent of very forgiving gamers whom the game resonated with.

A shame because I enjoyed the first Nier and generally enjoy Platinum games (some real stinkers, however). I was really hoping this would be a game with inviting replay value instead of forced. Forced in the sense that you can't really stop after A.

This is a game that really should be more of a sleeper hit, or an overlooked gem. I am happy that it seems to have received more mainstream recognition because of my fondness for Yoko Taro and Platinum. But many gamers are looking at this through rose colored glasses and seeing a better game than is actually there.

I couldn't recommend this game to anyone else without a number of explicitly stated caveats. More than most other games.

This is what makes discussing this game with people who don't like it (or don't like it that much) so frustrating.

You don't like it nearly as much as I do, and that's perfectly fine, your reasons are valid, we just disagree on how good it is, but why is it that the same stance from the opposite side is so much less common? We had OP asking us to "admit" the game is not as good as we're saying, we had people saying the honeymoon period is over instead of people just thinking different things about it, and now you're saying we're looking at it through rose colored glasses and seeing a better game than it actually is. Why can't we just actually think it's a better game than you do?

I swear, it's not like this for most games. The Last Guardian is much more divisive than Automata, and I feel like it's much easier for people who love and hate it to coexist and share their thoughts in the same threads. We all hang in the OT from time to time, even people who hate it, because it's a cool environment and people don't accuse you of anything for liking or disliking the game. Well, some do, but for the most part, it's much less prevalent.

You're a fan of both Yoko Taro and Platinum and you want to bring up "forgiving gamers"? You pretty much have to be forgiving of lacking parts to enjoy either something it excels at or to think the game is more than the sum of its parts for any game either of them made. It's not like people are pretending Automata doesn't have flaws, create a thread about the difficulty balancing and how leveling brings the combat down and you won't see me posting there to say you're wrong and the game is great, because I completely agree with that. But wait, if I'm not able to see things for how they are, then that means the game's difficulty is perfect, then? Oh, of course not, this kind of argument is only valid when people disagree with you, right?

I swear, it's not like this for most games.

No, it's this way specifically for surprising niche-audience hits that succeed with a much broader group (and a much more enthusiastic level of love) than expected. Undertale (a game that parallels N:A in a lot more ways than are superficially obvious) is another similar example. It took off with so little warning, and the people who loved it really loved it with a really visible level of enthusiasm, so people who think they're part of the potential audience but didn't get won over the same way are more likely to feel defensive about it or feel like they're not in the club. The result is that any chance to talk to other people in the same boat is gonna naturally tilt towards "wow those people are nuts."

It's a pretty understandable reaction and it doesn't really hurt anyone so it's not really a problem that it happens, but I do think it's worth distinguishing this from cases where specific people's opinions really do cool on a game over time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, it's this way specifically for surprising niche-audience hits that succeed with a much broader group (and a much more enthusiastic level of love) than expected. Undertale (a game that parallels N:A in a lot more ways than are superficially obvious) is another similar example. It took off with so little warning, and the people who loved it really loved it with a really visible level of enthusiasm, so people who think they're part of the potential audience but didn't get won over the same way are more likely to feel defensive about it or feel like they're not in the club. The result is that any chance to talk to other people in the same boat is gonna naturally tilt towards "wow those people are nuts."

It's a pretty understandable reaction and it doesn't really hurt anyone so it's not really a problem that it happens, but I do think it's worth distinguishing this from cases where specific people's opinions really do cool on a game over time.

In fairness I can see how a lot of the Undertale/Nier:A fanbase can be really overbearing and condescendingly effusive.

Also don't listen to duckroll's lies. He hasn't even finished Route A. He was too busy playing inferior games like P5 and BOTW.

Hektor

Whats vlr?

Also i haven't beat Nier is it possible to miss endings? Like if i keep beating the game will i see all the endings?

VLR = Virtues Last Reward, A visual novel

It's possible to miss joke endings (such as "haha, you died during the tutorial, now you lost the war and everything turns to shit LOL git rekt scrub")

But all actual story endings are not missable. You're 100% guaranteed to see them all if you just play

VLR = Virtues Last Reward, A visual novel

It's possible to miss joke endings (such as "haha, you died during the tutorial, now you lost the war and everything turns to shit LOL git rekt scrub")

But all actual story endings are not missable. You're 100% guaranteed to see them all if you just play

Cool.. Thanks

Gator86

I really like the game, but route B did feel like a chore to me. It's just the same shit all over again, with a slight decontextualisation. The problem is that the recontextualisation doesn't really become interesting until you're late into that route. There's also the problem that you have to play with a character who has to play a boring mini game to beat enemies.

The worst part of the mini game is that it's so repetitive. There's like what? 6 different versions? I was Ok with it at first, but when it became clear I'd have to do the same ones over and over I got a little annoyed.

Agreed. I love dual stick shooters, but I don't think I'll want to touch one for a long time after Nier.

Gbraga

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why it never happened in the endless times we were all praising the first game while not mentioning its numerous flaws, but the explosive popularity of both Automata and Undertale definitely explains it.

sensui-tomo

guessing by OP's feeling he'd also hate the Chrono series (at least chrono trigger since multiple gamethroughs require you to play the game at the least 3 times to get all the unique characters , twice for different route, and 12 times for each ending, trigger has 15 endings)

Top Bottom