• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is it worth getting a Switch Pro Controller?

molnizzle

So this "issue" only manifests itself in a single game? I feel like having a loose d-pad would actually be beneficial most of the time. I play Puyo Puyo with an 8bitdo anyway.

Best controller on the market right now IMO.

Yep. Ergonomics are second to none. I can't wait for the Brooks adapter that will let me use it on PS4.

daxy

I'm content with the controller, but its D-pad is 360-tier bad (mine anyway).

I have tested my Pro controller that I've bought with the Switch in the settings input test and had no issues, did now the same with my new Splatoon edition and no issues either.

Tetris I only played the demo but I had no issues either (can't remember if I've ever used Pro in that game though).

So what are you saying here? That the input test is lying? That Tetris somehow is more dependent on the quality of the d-pad than the input test? Because to me it seems pretty clear that some Pro controllers (the two that I own at least) don't have defective d-pad at all.

Press right on the D-pad and then, while holding right, tilt the D-pad slightly up or down. Continue tilting until you get an input for up or down instead of right. Repeat the process for each direction, while tilting the D-pad perpendicular to your chosen input direction. As a bonus test, do a full and uninterrupted circle motion while not letting go of the D-pad. Let us know if it's still getting all perfect inputs.

You can get perfect inputs on the controller 100% of the time if you try; the problem is that it's too easy to get unintended inputs when not hitting the D-pad perfectly.

Persona7

Banned
So this "issue" only manifests itself in a single game? I feel like having a loose d-pad would actually be beneficial most of the time. I play Puyo Puyo with an 8bitdo anyway.

No, any game dependent on the D-Pad. I notice the issue in Zelda but it's not game breaking like it is in Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Absofuckenlutely! Single best Switch decision I made. Not only is it a great controller, but also going from portable to docked mode is finally an option. I'm never taking of those stupid controller thingies off my switch again!

PetrCobra

I'm aware of this. I'm telling you that I did the test shown in one of the videos and it worked fine. Did you do the test in Settings with each of your controllers? I'm guessing that if you just play a game and decide that it's not reading your inputs right, you might just be convincing yourself of that and actually pressing the wrong inputs at times.

I'm talking about this test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlZxPQNfkb4

I have a black one sent in for repair twice, and a Splatoon one. They all have the dpad issue.

It's annoying, but it's fine for now. I just try to avoid using the pro controller when I play Puyo Tetris. But eventually I'm gonna crack them open and use the tape method to fix it. I'm kinda tired of sending it in and not getting it fixed.

Other than than, fantastic controller. Every part of it feels great, even the dpad. Just gotta fix the phantom dpad inputs and it's perfect.

Fireblend

Banned
I really really want to buy it, but PPT is my most played game and it would really bother me not to be able to use it for that =/

PetrCobra

I'm content with the controller, but its D-pad is 360-tier trash (mine anyway).

Press right on the D-pad and then, while holding right, tilt the D-pad slightly up or down. Continue tilting until you get an input for up or down instead of right. Repeat the process for each direction, while tilting the D-pad perpendicular to your chosen input direction. Let us know if it's still getting all perfect inputs.

You can get perfect inputs on the controller 100% of the time if you try; the problem is that it's too easy to get unintended inputs when not hitting the D-pad perfectly.

Oh okay, I've tried this now. At first I thought that it's actually glitching because as I held right or lef it jumped back to menu, but turns out this is probably intended.

Now if I do what you said, holding right and tilting it up/down, it registers up/down, without fail. That might be a problem I guess. Still not sure why it never registered random ups/downs when I just pressed left or right before. I'll try out Tetris and see if I'm unintentionally pressing any wrong directions.

daxy

Oh okay, I've tried this now. At first I thought that it's actually glitching because as I held right or lef it jumped back to menu, but turns out this is probably intended.

Now if I do what you said, holding right and tilting it up/down, it registers up/down, without fail. That might be a problem I guess. Still not sure why it never registered random ups/downs when I just pressed left or right before. I'll try out Tetris and see if I'm unintentionally pressing any wrong directions.

I think it's just different on a person-to-person basis. People have different finger widths and lengths, and therefore also different ways of pressing buttons. Your means of using the D-pad may just well be a method that simply rarely gets wrong inputs or not at all. For others, it may be very regular. I'm pretty certain it's something that affects all of these controllers; the buttons are just a tad too sensitive for a certain segment of players. I had similar squishiness problems with the first 360 controller.

I'll personally be trying the tape solution posted earlier here. Looks promising!

ghibli99

I thought I'd use it more, but I play the Switch in handheld mode so much that my pro goes unused the majority of the time. When I do use it in docked mode though, man, it's such a nice controller, so I would still say it was worth the purchase.

PetrCobra

I think it's just different on a person-to-person basis. People have different finger widths and lengths, and therefore also different ways of pressing buttons. Your means of using the D-pad may just well be a method that simply rarely gets wrong inputs or not at all. For others, it may be very regular. I'm pretty certain it's something that affects all of these controllers; the buttons are just a tad too sensitive for a certain segment of players. I'll personally be trying the tape solution posted earlier here. Looks promising!

This seems likely. Just played the Tetris demo with my new Splatoon controller, no issues.

Well, at least now I finally understand better what the issue with d-pad is. I thought it was something a little bit different.

Edit: oh and one more thing. If I intentionally try to hit left/right on the side or something, as I only did now, it does register wrong inputs quite often. Seems weird that I never do this unless I try to do it. Maybe some people really do have problems hitting the directions properly or something. If anything though, I would have thought that I'd be one of those people.

I have tested 12 controllers including two of the newer splatoon ones. Nintendo sent me six replacements and I also replaced numerous controllers in store. I highly doubt anyone has a controller that doesn't have the d-pad issue. It's a design flaw.

It is extremely apparent when playing tetris. I didn't get a wide range of splatoon controllers so I can't say for sure but the two I bought and returned exhibited the same issue.

I've only tried 2 and I forgot to return the 2nd one before the 30 days were up so I'm stuck with it. I'm considering doing a few returns through Nintendo although I'm guessing that a replacement from them will cost me at this point. I assume that if the first replacement doesn't fix the issue that they wouldn't charge for additional replacements, but I'll have to find that out first before going down that route. If all else fails, I've already seen a couple of mods for the dpad that I could try.

Zedark

Since this an active pro controller thread, I think it's best to ask this here:

Since a few days I noticed an issue: whenever I play docked with the pro controller while the joy-cons are connected to my docked Switch, and I proceed to undock the Switch, then I no longer get a message to confirm the new input method, and my pro controller remains the player one input even though I am in handheld mode. Anyone else notice this? If so, did you find a solution for this? Thanks!

This is the message I am referring to for clarity's sake:
UI-Docking-Undocking.jpg

phanphare

Banned
I have tested 12 controllers including two of the newer splatoon ones. Nintendo sent me six replacements and I also replaced numerous controllers in store. I highly doubt anyone has a controller that doesn't have the d-pad issue. It's a design flaw.

It is extremely apparent when playing tetris. I didn't get a wide range of splatoon controllers so I can't say for sure but the two I bought and returned exhibited the same issue.

well like I said mine doesn't have the dpad issue

I've only got 1 though so I'm not making any kind of scientific conclusion here only that it seems to be a ymmv thing as seen in this thread with some having the issues and others not. it's definitely something to be weary of and I'd test any new controller before deciding to keep it for sure.

Nerrel

If you carefully press straight in any of the 4 directions then the D pad will usually give a correct response. The problem is that if you apply pressure even slightly off to one side or the other it will register a diagonal. This is a problem in pretty much any game that requires intense D-pad use, since in the heat of moving around quickly you're bound to hit the cross blades off center. A good D-pad will still respond correctly as long as you're on the blade you want to press; it shouldn't register a diagonal unless you're deliberately putting pressure in that direction.

I found that Super Metroid was unplayable due to this issue, since Samus constantly kept aiming up while wall jumping and that instantly stops you from being able to flip. Obviously fighting games and a lot of retro titles are also going to be unplayayble with it. I would say that the D-pad is so bad that it's only useful for menu navigation, but even there it sucks. BotW constantly registers the wrong input when changing weapons, and even just scrolling through the Switch home menu regularly registers the wrong directions. It's baffling that Nintendo is selling a controller with a D-pad this bad. You can't even use it for the simplest tasks without getting wrong inputs; how did they not notice this and consider it an issue?

I sent my first Pro in due to this and received another one that still had a crappy D-pad, but it was noticeably better. It didn't trigger "up" as often, so I could play Super Metroid without issues when wall jumping. "Down" was really fucked up and would register diagonals to the left or right like crazy, but you don't often need to use down in sidescrollers. Unfortunately I even had to send that Pro in because it kept spontaneously glitching out and not recognizing button presses, so god knows how the third one will be.

It's not a single game, and it's not a "loose D-pad" issue. Past Nintendo pads also had some looseness and wiggle room. The issue is that this one is hyper sensitive to adjacent presses, and will register the wrong directions constantly.

Arklite

If you carefully press straight in any of the 4 directions then the D pad will usually give a correct response. The problem is that if you apply pressure even slightly off to one side or the other it will register a diagonal. This is a problem in pretty much any game that requires intense D-pad use, since in the heat of moving around quickly you're bound to hit the cross blades off center.

Sounds like Gamecube d-pad levels of terrible. Shame considering the larger face buttons made it seem like it'd be great for fighters. It's got me curious to test out my Wii U pro pad.

Bydobob

I thought a Pro controller would be mandatory, but I'm getting along fine without. Joy cons take some getting used to, particularly the short analogue travel of the sticks, but after going the distance and back with Zelda it's become second nature.

Any shortcomings are more than made up for by the versatility anyway. Being able to play detached or in the grip is a significant plus, while two player in something straightforward like Mario Kart works wonderfully. It's also worth considering that because the Joy cons are fundamental to the Switch's design, they will always be the primary consideration for developers. I don't have the game yet, but I can't imagine controlling in Arms is as interactive or rewarding with the Pro Controller. Lastly, and frequently overlooked, is just how wonderful the rumble on these little controllers is.

For me, yes. I couldn't handle playing Splatoon any other way. I bought used though and got it 25 dollars cheaper becuase I am not paying 75 bucks for a standard controller. FU Nintendo.

vgamer1

If you carefully press straight in any of the 4 directions then the D pad will usually give a correct response. The problem is that if you apply pressure even slightly off to one side or the other it will register a diagonal. This is a problem in pretty much any game that requires intense D-pad use, since in the heat of moving around quickly you're bound to hit the cross blades off center. A good D-pad will still respond correctly as long as you're on the blade you want to press; it shouldn't register a diagonal unless you're deliberately putting pressure in that direction.

I found that Super Metroid was unplayable due to this issue, since Samus constantly kept aiming up while wall jumping and that instantly stops you from being able to flip. Obviously fighting games and a lot of retro titles are also going to be unplayayble with it. I would say that the D-pad is so bad that it's only useful for menu navigation, but even there it sucks. BotW constantly registers the wrong input when changing weapons, and even just scrolling through the Switch home menu regularly registers the wrong directions. It's baffling that Nintendo is selling a controller with a D-pad this bad. You can't even use it for the simplest tasks without getting wrong inputs; how did they not notice this and consider it an issue?

I sent my first Pro in due to this and received another one that still had a crappy D-pad, but it was noticeably better. It didn't trigger "up" as often, so I could play Super Metroid without issues when wall jumping. "Down" was really fucked up and would register diagonals to the left or right like crazy, but you don't often need to use down in sidescrollers. Unfortunately I even had to send that Pro in because it kept spontaneously glitching out and not recognizing button presses, so god knows how the third one will be.

It's not a single game, and it's not a "loose D-pad" issue. Past Nintendo pads also had some looseness and wiggle room. The issue is that this one is hyper sensitive to adjacent presses, and will register the wrong directions constantly.

This is the exact same experience I have. So far I've only noticed it in Puyo because it's the only game I've had to use the d-pad that quickly/feverishly. And it definitely screwed me out of a few wins.

Otherwise, it's the best controller I've ever used.

For sure worth it, especially if you have larger hands.

The joy-con grip is better than docked mode, but still feels tiny and the sticks dont have much travel on them. The pro controller makes zelda much easier to control.

Must own for large handed folk.

Nerrel

Sounds like Gamecube d-pad levels of terrible. Shame considering the larger face buttons made it seem like it'd be great for fighters. It's got me curious to test out my Wii U pro pad.

Wii U pads can still do diagonals when rocking back and forth, but the difference is that they don't do it so easily that it becomes a problem. I have two Wii U pros, one of which is perfect and has no diagonals when holding a single blade down at all, even when trying to rock the pad back and forth. You have to press two blades at once to get a diagonal. The other does register diagonals while rocking, but only when you're trying to. It's still perfectly usable and much better than the Switch pad.

Getting a Dpad like that is all I want from the Switch Pro- it can do diagonals when trying to rock it, but it shouldn't do them otherwise. The closest I've been able to get to that is using a tape mod where you block off half of each D-pad contact:

http://www.ateijelo.com/blog/2017/07/12/effective-fix-switch-pro-controller-dpad-issues

That mod works, but it doesn't completely solve the problem. If you're lucky it'll bring your Switch Pro D-pad up to the level of one of the sloppier Wii U Pro D-pads.

I love it, mostly. I kinda hate the Dpad. Sure it's better than the joycons but that's not an excuse. It's so stiff and doesn't always register the correct input. More than once in Zelda I mean to change weapon and instead it opens the Runes and I swear I didn't push Up. I pushed right!

Still better than the WiiU Pro if only because of the placement of the right analog and face buttons.

Hell yes. IMO it's right there with the xb1 elite controller in terms of comfortability and ergonomics.

I do wish it took the rumble triggers and headphone jack from xb1 controller though.

GamerJM

Banned
The D-Pad is imprecise, but it feels great to actually push. Idk. Like others have said it's YMMV but I prefer it over the (official) alternatives for games that work with a D-Pad. If it gets fixed in later revisions of the pro controller I'll just buy those.

The controller itself is amazing ergonomically though.

matm666

I don't know what is the big deal with the D Pad, works fine to me, zero issues when playing Waku Waku 7, Blster Master 0 and Puyp Puyo Tetris

Zedark

To come back to the issue I posted in post #168, I tried other games and it doesn't happen for every title: BOTW and Snake Pass transition to handheld controls just fine (although Snake Pass keeps the pro controller turned on), but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS keep the pro controller as player one, and don't respond to the handheld inputs because of that. Can anyone try if their systems has the same issue? If someone had the issue, did you manage to resolve it? Thanks!

Top Bottom