• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

Edgeward

Good to see the one I voted for got chosen. Congrats. :D

Definitely gotta keep my eye on this, too many games unfinished atm but I want to get into this at some point.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Edgeward said:
Good to see the one I voted for got chosen. Congrats. :D

Definitely gotta keep my eye on this, too many games unfinished atm but I want to get into this at some point.

If you're looking for the PS2 version you might want to track down sooner rather than later, it could be hard to find in the future as I believe it's the last US PS2 game being made.

androvsky

RurouniZel said:
If you're looking for the PS2 version you might want to track down sooner rather than later, it could be hard to find in the future as I believe it's the last US PS2 game being made.

Not a bad way to go out, to be honest. I'd expect some shovelware to be the real final game, but it'd be nice if SCEA did something special for the release.

I'm not looking forward to being stuck with the Wii ports if the other games get localized too. Well, since Idea Factory is doing the porting, I wouldn't put it past them to do PS3/360 ports also. They've apparently been thriving on low budget HD games, odd as that sounds.

As much as I would like to give the US release a chance, Sakura wars 5 Episode 0's
broken gameplay, crappy horse riding and infinite invisible walls
totally killed any desire for me to play this :lol

I know...it's like not getting GT5 just cause I didn't like GT5P or something...

Edgeward

RurouniZel said:

I had already thought of that, that's why I'm really curious of the english dub so I can focus on the wii version as I feel that will be the one more readily available down the line. And cheaper too. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is the last US PS2 game? Wow.

Anyone know if you can switch between the English and Japanese dubs with the same save data or are they treated as two different games?

androvsky

Eternal Sleeper said:
As much as I would like to give the US release a chance, Sakura wars 5 Episode 0's
broken gameplay, crappy horse riding and infinite invisible walls
totally killed any desire for me to play this :lol

I know...it's like not getting GT5 just cause I didn't like GT5P or something...

It's more like not getting God of War 3 because you didn't like how Kratos looks in Modnation Racers.

I've only played the first four games in the series, but episode 0 is nothing like any of them. Sakura Wars games are normally SRPGs, episode 0 is a crappy action game. But I'm surprised someone would've played Episode 0 without knowing that...

Hell, I'm suprised someone played Episode 0. :lol

This is the last US PS2 game? Wow.
Eh, apparently not. See Hero of Legend's post.

Anyone know if you can switch between the English and Japanese dubs with the same save data or are they treated as two different games?
They're treated as two different games.

kiryogi

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
Wait, this is made by Sega Wow? Count me in, those guys have my undying love for making both Valkryia Chronicles and Skies of Arcadia.
Properly it's formerly Overworks and more so RED.

androvsky said:
It's more like not getting God of War 3 because you didn't like how Kratos looks in Modnation Racers.

I've only played the first four games in the series, but episode 0 is nothing like any of them. Sakura Wars games are normally SRPGs, episode 0 is a crappy action game. But I'm surprised someone would've played Episode 0 without knowing that...

Oh, I know Episode 0 is nothing like the actual games. I'm just saying, my impression of Episode 0 was so bad - I;m having a hard time even looking at the same characters again. :lol

As for why I played episode 0...it was one of the only two SW games that were out on the PS2 at the time (2004).

androvsky

Eternal Sleeper said:
Oh, I know Episode 0 is nothing like the actual games. I'm just saying, my impression of Episode 0 was so bad - I;m having a hard time even looking at the same characters again. :lol
I can believe that. ;)

OP, your thread had me totally sold and then I remembered that a couple of weeks ago my PS3 with BC broke down and I ended up replacing it with a Slim.

Shit.

Famitsu: 10, 10, 9, 8 (37/40)
Edge - 7/10

Wha-wha-what? Color me impressed, also SRPGs are always welcome, maybe I'll split the Wii version with another friend, need moar impressions cause this feel veeery dated, and I never put my monies in NIS hands (well, once, and let's say the game - Disgaea - was bad, fucking bad).

Will keep my eyes on this one.

Rebochan

I'm really excited for this game, probably more than I was for FFXIII. Got my PS2 version pre-ordered through Rosenqueen and everything.

Out of curiousity, is there any reason why there hasn't been a Sakura Wars VI? This game is already 5 years old. Did the shift to Valkyria Chronicles push it out of the way or was there another reason?

I didn't realize until a few months ago that Overworks did this franchise. I bought a PS3 specifically so I could play VC because that is how much I loved Skies. I put in a pre-order for this game entirely for them. And it does explain the type of love story present in Valkyria Chronicles...though now I'm kind of surprised that Skies was so tame on the romance stories.

androvsky

Rebochan said:
Out of curiousity, is there any reason why there hasn't been a Sakura Wars VI? This game is already 5 years old. Did the shift to Valkyria Chronicles push it out of the way or was there another reason?

I think much of that is due to the fourth game being essentially an end to the series, with the relationship (whomever you chose) finally wrapped up. Or so I've heard. It was quite rushed trying to get it done while the Dreamcast was still in production, and generally wasn't very well received.

Then a few years later, Sega announced the Sakura Taisen World Project, which was going to launch six or seven new games (!!!) and start hyping the series overseas, starting with Sakura Wars V: Episode 0 (see the traumatized player posting above), and then the reboot with the full Sakura Wars V.

But with Episode 0 being a disaster and Sakura Wars V only selling about 150k (iirc, it was almost the exact same as the first month sales of Valkyria Chronicles in Japan), they apparently gave up, and focusing on spin-offs as the series wound down.

Besides, Valkyria Chronicles was designed to sell to westerners; I can almost hear the pitch:
"I bet we could continue the Sakura Wars franchise if we could get it to sell in the West."
"Yeah, but we'd have to cut out the adventure parts, the U.S. branch keeps telling us that doesn't resonate there."
"Hmmm, it's still giant robots though. If it was set in WWII and a first-person shooter, then maybe..."
"..."
"..."

I still love Valkyria Chronicles! I blame my headache if this post came out odd...

RurouniZel

androvsky said:
I think much of that is due to the fourth game being essentially an end to the series, with the relationship (whomever you chose) finally wrapped up. Or so I've heard. It was quite rushed trying to get it done while the Dreamcast was still in production, and generally wasn't very well received.

Then a few years later, Sega announced the Sakura Taisen World Project, which was going to launch six or seven new games (!!!) and start hyping the series overseas, starting with Sakura Wars V: Episode 0 (see the traumatized player posting above), and then the reboot with the full Sakura Wars V.

But with Episode 0 being a disaster and Sakura Wars V only selling about 150k (iirc, it was almost the exact same as the first month sales of Valkyria Chronicles in Japan), they apparently gave up, and focusing on spin-offs as the series wound down.

Besides, Valkyria Chronicles was designed to sell to westerners; I can almost hear the pitch:
"I bet we could continue the Sakura Wars franchise if we could get it to sell in the West."
"Yeah, but we'd have to cut out the adventure parts, the U.S. branch keeps telling us that doesn't resonate there."
"Hmmm, it's still giant robots though. If it was set in WWII and a first-person shooter, then maybe..."
"..."
"..."

I still love Valkyria Chronicles! I blame my headache if this post came out odd...

That's a pretty damn accurate summary. After the rushed release of 4 so that it could be a Dreamcast game, the series just tapered off in Japan. One of my hopes is that, should V do well enough here, perhaps 1 and 2 can come over on the PSP. And if those are successful, I'm sure porting 3 and 4 to the PSP wouldn't be too difficult (though unlike 1 and 2, they'd probably require seperate UMDs).

Rebochan

Don't get me wrong, I love VC too - I don't regret the one-game purchase of my PS3 entirely because of it.

I just feel a little bummed that this may be the only ST game we get though. It's always sounded like a fun, quirky series. And I'm all over that stuff.

androvsky

RurouniZel said:
That's a pretty damn accurate summary. After the rushed release of 4 so that it could be a Dreamcast game, the series just tapered off in Japan. One of my hopes is that, should V do well enough here, perhaps 1 and 2 can come over on the PSP. And if those are successful, I'm sure porting 3 and 4 to the PSP wouldn't be too difficult (though unlike 1 and 2, they'd probably require seperate UMDs).

I'm not sure PSP ports are the path to success in the West, sadly. With Idea Factory doing the porting, I honestly don't think it'd cost them much more to do 360/PS3 ports, or maybe just continue with the Wii ports if that version does well enough.

RurouniZel

androvsky said:
I'm not sure PSP ports are the path to success in the West, sadly. With Idea Factory doing the porting, I honestly don't think it'd cost them much more to do 360/PS3 ports, or maybe just continue with the Wii ports if that version does well enough.

True enough.

Dwayne

It's not mentioned in the OP but there's a special edition for PS2 available from RosenQueen.com. Seems to come with an extra art book and poster?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Unrelated to the game but my rewatching of the various Sakura Wars anime has been coming along nicely. Did the first ova series then finished the tv series last week, this week is the second ova and next week is ecole de paris, the movie and sumire ova ta finish things off. One thing I've noticed is that the various ova's are more light hearted then the tv series was which was full of goodgals hating on each other draamaaaa. Which does the/this games take after more? Ohhhh and the flower division uniforms >>>>> then the ones these V game girls have!

androvsky

Lindsay said:
Unrelated to the game but my rewatching of the various Sakura Wars anime has been coming along nicely. Did the first ova series then finished the tv series last week, this week is the second ova and next week is ecole de paris, the movie and sumire ova ta finish things off. One thing I've noticed is that the various ova's are more light hearted then the tv series was which was full of goodgals hating on each other draamaaaa. Which does the/this games take after more? Ohhhh and the flower division uniforms >>>>> then the ones these V game girls have!

Hard to say... I think the TV series is a lot darker than the games, but the games still have plenty of competition and rivalry between the girls, more so than the OVAs iirc; it's just more lighthearted rivalry. I guess. :D The first OVA is probably closest to the games in tone (some of the scenes towards the end are of scenarios actually in the first game). No stage-ninja infestation though. :(

edit: in fact, one episode of the TV series was so dark the director was fired a few days after it aired, a new episode was produced to replace it, and the original episode was never shown or released again. It was episode 9 iirc, and the sad part is the original had a much, much better backstory for Maria. Unfortunately, I lost my copy of the original episode. :(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
androvsky said:
Hard to say... I think the TV series is a lot darker than the games, but the games still have plenty of competition and rivalry between the girls, more so than the OVAs iirc; it's just more lighthearted rivalry. I guess. :D The first OVA is probably closest to the games in tone (some of the scenes towards the end are of scenarios actually in the first game). No stage-ninja infestation though. :(

The first ova did seem especially well done its a shame it was so short! Rivalries are good but ya the tv series was abit much with everyone hating Sakura and Sumire being queen megabitch and Iris just being emo >.<;

edit: in fact, one episode of the TV series was so dark the director was fired a few days after it aired, a new episode was produced to replace it, and the original episode was never shown or released again. It was episode 9 iirc, and the sad part is the original had a much, much better backstory for Maria. Unfortunately, I lost my copy of the original episode. :(

Woah that's cool and sad! That explains why the series was 25 instead of 26 huh?

Dwayne

Dwayne said:
It's not mentioned in the OP but there's a special edition for PS2 available from RosenQueen.com. Seems to come with an extra art book and poster?
http://www.nisamerica.com/news/20091211.html
Here is the information about the Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love packages.

We wanted to make the long-time fans of the Sakura Taisen series happy, so we decided to make a premium box of Sakura Wars for the PlayStation 2 system. The premium box version of Sakura Wars will include an English voice over disc and bonus items, which are an art book, poster, and a Japanese voice over disc. And they will come in a collectible premium box!

RurouniZel

Only reason I didn't mention it in the OP is I got the distinct impression it was limited, and imagined that this close to release they wouldn't be offering it anymore. If they're still offering than, yes, by all means! :)

I was discussed in the previous hype thread a bit though ^^

EDIT: Added to OP.

RurouniZel

Speaking of the Rosenqueen special edition, I just got an e-mail that my order's been processed! o_o That's... earlier than I expected. I'm guessing it doesn't ship for another week though.

RurouniZel said:
Speaking of the Rosenqueen special edition, I just got an e-mail that my order's been processed! o_o That's... earlier than I expected. I'm guessing it doesn't ship for another week though.

The product page says "Shipping period 03/25/2010", so I would assume they're actually shipping it out in the next couple of days. I got the order processed email as well.

Koren

androvsky said:

I've played Episode 0, Monogatari ~ mysterious Paris, Sakura Taisen Online, Jissen Pachislot: Sakura Taisen, Hanagumi Columns 2 and Mysterious Dungeon.

More surprising ? :D

Ramune

Dwayne said:

I'm kinda surprised you guys didn't know about that already. What's more, tomorrow's the last day for getting the "Unforgetable Memories" artbook with the game (RosenQueen Exclusive). Also they note in the latest email that once they sell out of the artbook, that's another way they'll end it's pre-order. So if you want that, pre-order ASAP!

I'm getting both versions of the game anyhow. ^_^;
Thought being one of the last PS2 games in NA....reminds me of Magic Knight Rayearth's release on Sega Saturn. Though I'll have to import games like Dragon Shadow Spell after all. :(

Also got my pre-order processed email, although the PS2 version with the artbook was the one that had "(Preordered)" labeled with it.

Koren

No mail for me... No Rosenqueen love T_T I hope it's just a matter of time.

Still wondering if I also buy the european Wii version (in addition to the LE japanese version and the US Rosenqueen PS2 one :D )

RurouniZel

Koren said:
I've played Episode 0, Monogatari ~ mysterious Paris, Sakura Taisen Online, Jissen Pachislot: Sakura Taisen, Hanagumi Columns 2 and Mysterious Dungeon.

More surprising ? :D

I never finished Monogatari, and I missed out on the pachinko game. Played the others though! :D

graywolf323

Ramune said:
I'm kinda surprised you guys didn't know about that already. What's more, tomorrow's the last day for getting the "Unforgetable Memories" artbook with the game (RosenQueen Exclusive). Also they note in the latest email that once they sell out of the artbook, that's another way they'll end it's pre-order. So if you want that, pre-order ASAP!

know about what? the March 23rd release date? it got pushed back a week about a few weeks ago that's why we're surprised - http://www.nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=n&article=pbomb/PrinnyBomb_Vol41.html

GameStop isn't getting it for another week - http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75798

neither is Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DC8GW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I3rand0

Just preordered this on Amazon. Too bad my 60 GB PS3 died back on New Years. I managed to repair it, but I don't know if I want to risk starting this game on it seeing how I already got YLOD once.

Looks like Rosenqueen isn't taking preorders for any version of the game anymore. They're still all listed on the site, but if you click the "add to cart" button nothing happens.

kiryogi

Banned
androvsky said:

Yknow I actually enjoyed episode zero :lol Really poor musou like XD But I somehow derived fun from it. Needless to say clearing it once was enough. XD

My played list: ST 1/2/3/4/5: Ep0/5/Online/Hanagumi Columns 2/GBC 1/Dramatic Dungeon

Quixzlizx

_dementia said:
I heard on shidoshi's/Aokage's podcast that only the PS2 version has dual Audio and the Wii version does not. Is that true?

Yes, the PS2 version comes with two separate discs, one for each voice track.

Volcynika

_dementia said:
I heard on shidoshi's/Aokage's podcast that only the PS2 version has dual Audio and the Wii version does not. Is that true?

Correct. Only PS2 people can play a version of the game with JP Audio / Eng Subs.

that's a shame
i think i'll get the wii game just because my ps2 isn't hooked up anymore, but it hurts paying the same price for less content :(

dave_d

Any other notable differences between PS2 and Wii like one is widescreen and the other isn't? BTW, how bad is the English dub? (I mean we're not talking Valis 3/Final Zone2 bad are we?)

RurouniZel

dave_d said:
Any other notable differences between PS2 and Wii like one is widescreen and the other isn't? BTW, how bad is the English dub? (I mean we're not talking Valis 3/Final Zone2 bad are we?)

We're not sure how "bad" the dub is, since none of us have really played it yet. Other than Gemini's voice we really haven't heard it. We'll know soon enough 'cause it comes out next week. :)

Top Bottom