• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

androvsky

I just picked up my copy from Gamestop, it's really coming out folks. :lol The manual is really thick and too big to fit in the case even if it wasn't, it wound up packed in the box with the artbook and poster. Wonder if that was the cause of the last week delay?

SamBishop

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
This, plus the Sega WOW factor, piques my interest. Game sounds great. Too bad about the terrible, all-over-the-place character designs, but oh well.

Yeah, if nothing else, it's supporting the Overworks folks. They may be gone (in name, at least), but not forgotten. The character designs do kinda make sense once you get to know their personalities, I guess.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I FINALLY HAS IT!! MWA HA HAA!!!! :D :D :D :D

SakuraWars.jpg

I had 3 PS2 versions earlier but I mailed one to Durante before I got home. Probably pick up an extra Wii version or two before the week is over but for now, it's SHOWTIME!!!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
My copy shipped today! Not much longer of a wait now! I'm terrible at strategy games so I'd better start looking up a good faq for this..... @_@

RurouniZel

Hero of Legend said:
Can anyone officially confirm if the Wii version supports 480p and 16:9?

Don't know for sure sadly. I took a look in the manual but couldn't find anything that said if it does or doesn't. I'll do some research.

Interestingly, the back of the box says "Licenced and Published by NIS America Inc. Distributed exclusively by TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corporation"

zoku88

RurouniZel said:
Don't know for sure sadly. I took a look in the manual but couldn't find anything that said if it does or doesn't. I'll do some research.

Interestingly, the back of the box says "Licenced and Published by NIS America Inc. Distributed exclusively by TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corporation"
Interesting in what way? This isn't the first time that something they publish was distributed by someone else (Atlus distributed Phantom Brave, but of course, that's when NISA was starting out.) Perhaps they think it will reduce costs for them or something?

RurouniZel

zoku88 said:
Interesting in what way? This isn't the first time that something they publish was distributed by someone else (Atlus distributed Phantom Brave, but of course, that's when NISA was starting out.) Perhaps they think it will reduce costs for them or something?

Well, I was wondering why GameStop kept listing the game as being released by KOEI. That'd be why I suppose. :p

graywolf323

Big Papa Husker said:
Woo! Amazon is showing that it is shipping soon. :) Though, if they end up packaging it in a damn bubble mailer, I'm gonna be really pissed off.

I can't say I've ever seen Amazon ship something in a bubble mailer

usually it's a small fit to form cardboard box thing or a normal size cardboard box with air bubble pocket things to provide cushion

RurouniZel

About an hour in. So far the translation is really well written and has lots of character without really over doing it. I'm quite impressed, especially for NISA.

I was just playing Ar Tonelico II again last night so yeah, this is LEAGUES above that!

JKTrix

Still in the 'stuck in preorder' camp here, but I suppose that's not so bad. I'm living in Rhode Island currently and the whole state is basically shut down because of flooding everywhere. So I'd rather my stuff did not get lost in shipping.

RurouniZel said:
About an hour in. So far the translation is really well written and has lots of character without really over doing it. I'm quite impressed, especially for NISA.

I was just playing Ar Tonelico II again last night so yeah, this is LEAGUES above that!

Which version are you playing?

RurouniZel

Playing the Wii version right now.

Observations:

- The load times are pretty identical.
- There's a new fading in effect when transitioning from screen to screen. I rather like it.
- The dub is well cast and competently acted.
- The script has subtle differences between Japanese and English. Nothing earth shattering, but the dialogue sounds more natural in the English, if that makes sense. The Japanese version is slightly more in tune with the original dialogue, but it keeps all the same nick-names for Shinjiro the dub contains.
- Observing pieces of background or a character is now down by pointing at the screen, not moving the analogue stick.
- Saving is also faster on the Wii

RurouniZel

Hero of Legend said:
Do you have an HDTV?

Downstairs. Can't use it yet 'cause it's being used at the moment. I'll try to hook my Wii up later tonight and see how it looks.

AniHawk

RurouniZel said:

One of the testers, who was a huge fan of SW prior to the localization, helped a lot. He pushed to get Laura Bailey cast, as well as someone else. Later, he helped with the translation (he also helped rewrite some of the stuff for AT II Euro, which was actually based off the American build). I don't think he was credited for his work though.

RurouniZel

AniHawk said:
One of the testers, who was a huge fan of SW prior to the localization, helped a lot. He pushed to get Laura Bailey cast, as well as someone else. Later, he helped with the translation (he also helped rewrite some of the stuff for AT II Euro, which was actually based off the American build). I don't think he was credited for his work though.

Oh? I thought the translation for AT II Euro was the same, just the bug fixed. The translation was touched up? I'll have to hunt that version down then... and a Euro PS2...

or install a HDD and hack it.

AniHawk

RurouniZel said:
Oh? I thought the translation for AT II Euro was the same, just the bug fixed. The translation was touched up? I'll have to hunt that version down then... and a Euro PS2...

I'm not sure how much of it was touched up, but I know he was in the process of rewriting a lot of the Cynthia dialogue at least.

RurouniZel

One more Wii impression at the moment before bed. I would recommend a Classic Controller if you have it for one reason.

During the LIPS sections, sometimes you have to move the control sticks in certain directions ala Jet Set Radio style. In the PS2 version you use both analogue sticks, with the Wii Remote you use the Nunchuck Control Stick and the D-Pad on the 'mote. It's not as comfortable.

graywolf323

RurouniZel said:

the bug was fixed? that's reason enough to get me interested in importing it

androvsky

Decided to give the dub disc a spin since my wife's on the PS3. Ya know what, Wii owners don't despair, the dub is actually pretty good so far. I think Cheiron's voice sounds a touch forced, you can tell she's reaching lower than normal for her, but she's a pretty good actress. Everyone else is spot-on, except maybe Ogami, but he never sounds right to me. :)

Nekobo

Got the game today, w00t. Playing the English disc on a PS3.

Got to the first battle. Since I like visual novels, this game is definitely up my alley. Some parts of the game are over the top in a cheesy anime way, which is a nice change of pace from the all too serious FFXIII. The dub is pretty good, too.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how decent the game looks on an HDTV. The high res character portraits, especially.

kiryogi

Banned
Fail #1 Manual is black and white.

Fail #2 Wow it's so thick!.. Wait a minute. It's because it's bilingual. Damn frenchies.

kiryogi

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
That review makes it sound like it's an animu dating sim with occasional mecha battles sprinkled in for good measure. Uh, not entirely sure I like the sound of that. :lol

That's exactly it. I wouldn't say occasional. Each chapter is divided in this manner. Adventure -> Eyecatch -> Adventure -> Battle.

kiryogi

Banned
Oh god. I was planning to play dub but I don't know now. NISA didn't redo the lipsynch for the dub. Holy crap. I don't mind this as much usually. But since this is on 2d images, it's really eyeglaring. Sakura would be talking and her lips aren't moving at all D:

AniHawk

kiryogi said:
Oh god. I was planning to play dub but I don't know now. NISA didn't redo the lipsynch for the dub. Holy crap. I don't mind this as much usually. But since this is on 2d images, it's really eyeglaring. Sakura would be talking and her lips aren't moving at all D:

I doubt NISA could work that all out. Idea Factory handled the port, and it would have probably gone to them to do the work. If not, it would have had to go to Red Entertainment, but Sega didn't let them work with Red for some reason, although IF was allowed.

kiryogi

Banned
AniHawk said:
I doubt NISA could work that all out. Idea Factory handled the port, and it would have probably gone to them to do the work. If not, it would have had to go to Red Entertainment, but Sega didn't let them work with Red for some reason, although IF was allowed.

Heh well in this regard tho I'm playing the PS2 ver. :shrugs:

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it looks like RosenQueen shipped my copy of the PS2 Collection somehow even though my card is empty. I guess I'm lucky, but I wonder where my check is since it was supposed to be here last Monday. :lol
Son of a bitch

So how is it playing on a Partial BC 80GB PS3?

kiryogi

Banned
Playing on a 60 here. Cleared Chapter 1. Only 2 negatives at the dub so far...

JYB is Taiga ack D:

And I don't know how nearly everyone pronounces Ogami. They say it like Ogamemi. Sorta like how folks mispronounce Origami. Only Sunnyside's dub actor actually pronounces it OGAmi.

For you first time folks though in chapter 1..

So who peeked @ Cheiron in the spa >:D I messed up I think. Forgot to confirm and was holding hide instead. Forgot how those LIPS worked XD

Also, joint attacks are the key to really breaking this game. Once you gain full power on those, you'll be unstoppable.

Finally, although it's a bit last minute notice. For you old fans that still love it, Mayumi Tanaka(Kanna) is finally making an appearance in America @ Sakuracon anime convention in Seattle.

Ricker

I`ll go shop around for this game today,maybe i`ll find a copy downtown...no one confirmed yet if it supports 480p and widescreen on the Wii??

Shipment confirmation yesterday. Any word on how the PS2 version fares in comparison to the Wii version? Not trying to start a console war, just curious.

chifanpoe

PS2 version shipped, but I did the free shipping option from GS online. I think it will be here early next week. Thanks GAF for pointing me towards this game!

graywolf323

still nothing >_< and no response from customer service...

might be time to call my bank *sighs* I'm a broke college student so $120 is a LOT of money for me to have in limbo :-(

wonder if my local GameStop has any copies left? edit: "No products found within 100 miles of this ZIP code." that seems odd :-/

Nekobo

kiryogi said:

Oh yeah, it's definitely noticeable. Probably would have been way too much work to redo it for all that dialogue. :x

Shiv47

My copy is en route from Amazon. I assume this will be the last new PS2 game I will play. The end of an era.

graywolf323

finally got my confirmation email and it looks like they really only did ship my copy out today (estimated delivery is Tuesday) good thing I hadn't called my bank yet

so I'll get it on my birthday :D but why did it take them until two days after release to ship it to me when other people on here already have their orders >_<

it'll take a damn good special deal for me to bother with Rosenqueen again

kiryogi

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I decided to cave in a get it, I hope the game doesnt require the use of a FAQ or something, lol.
Just answer right! :lol Or be yourself, of course if being yourself turns off the ladies. Maybe you will need a guide.

Rebochan

RurouniZel said:

I'm sorry, I have to laugh at every grown man that spends all day playing video games chastising games like this for not being "mature" enough. It's like he's trying desperately to find some way to hide that he spends all day playing with toys.

I take it he thinks "maturity" is brown, gritty, and full of blood, guns, and topless women.

In fact he spent more than half the review on that tangent. "Oh my god, it's so animu and lame, but I liked it anyway...but it's not mature or anything, don't get me wrooong!"

Just admit it's a good game and acting like a coretard doesn't make you cool.

My copy is finally processed but I can't find out when its going to arrive. Damn, I have a long weekend coming up and this would have been a great time to play it. I'm not sure I'll ever do business through Rosenqueen again if they can't even be bothered to tell me why I had to wait at least a week past release when I could have gotten this through Gamestop by now.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
andymcc said:
my paycheck didn't come yesterday, as it was supposed to, so hopefully i can pick up my pre-order today. :lol
Try expecting it your check three weeks ago, and having it just come in today. :lol
SO MUCH HATE
Really looking forward to this since it appears to have a good portion of Visual Novel in it's content. :D

My copy came today. I'll probably open it despite the fact I wanted them to cancel it for now. They must have a shipping center nearby since it was only in transit half a day. :lol

Top Bottom