• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

androvsky

dave_d said:
Any other notable differences between PS2 and Wii like one is widescreen and the other isn't? BTW, how bad is the English dub? (I mean we're not talking Valis 3/Final Zone2 bad are we?)

Impressions from a PS Nation podcast preview makes it sound like it's a typical NISA dub, which are generally decent. Most of the complaints about the dub center around the character from Texas sounding like someone from Texas. She's even voiced by someone from Texas, but to be fair, it is a bit over the top (in the trailer, anyway).

I hope the black woman from Harlem is voiced by a black woman from Harlem. :)

Anyone order the PS2 version from Amazon? It is showing 3/30 for the release date, but says it won't be delivered until 4/5. I also have Mimana Iyar Chronicle preordered on Amazon; it releases the SAME day and it is showing a delivery date of 4/1. What the hell Amazon? :lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
graywolf323 said:
still nothing for me :-(

and my order status is still just "processed"

Huh, weird, I got a tracking number saying the order is completed. Maybe they're processing in order of when the order was placed?

Try logging into your Rosenqueen profile and see if it's changed today.

graywolf323

RurouniZel said:
Huh, weird, I got a tracking number saying the order is completed. Maybe they're processing in order of when the order was placed?

Try logging into your Rosenqueen profile and see if it's changed today.

still showing processed for me and today's the release day damn it >_<

rather annoyed since they list 3/25 as the ship period and it's now five days after that

Nekobo

Yep, nothing on my end...and I pre-ordered back in December. I got Mana Khemia 2 super early (their office is a 30 minute drive from where I live), so I'll be sad if I don't have Sakura Wars before the week's end.

Volcynika

Welcome to RosenQueen! :lol

They've given people I know some issues with this lack of updates. One time my friend's card was denied and they didn't tell him about it at all, so he didn't find out until he checked to see why it wasn't shipped. D:

Quixzlizx

My copy is sitting at Gamestop. I normally try to order all of the RQ versions, but a $10 price difference plus $10+ shipping for one game was too much to bear for an artbook.

cress2000

I received an "order completed" message early Saturday morning, and a separate shipping confirmation at 6:50 PM PST yesterday. Delivery confirmation shows it's in the USPS system.

graywolf323

Volcynika said:
Welcome to RosenQueen! :lol

They've given people I know some issues with this lack of updates. One time my friend's card was denied and they didn't tell him about it at all, so he didn't find out until he checked to see why it wasn't shipped. D:

Best Buy does that too, and they regularly test charge your card for a preorder up until it releases (usually once a week sometimes twice) and if it gets declined once they automatically cancel your order and don't even tell you

I'm still pissed at them over that with a really good deal I got on a preorder and couldn't get again after they canceled it on me

SamBishop

Banned
Just a heads-up: my review will be going up on IGN at some point soon (and my own site later when I can sort of recharge my batteries), and it's probably the longest string of barfed-up words I've done for them since... well, since the Sakura Wars preview, actually.

The short version is that I absolutely loved the game, and despite it being a really lengthy review, I still feel like I missed out on explaining everything. Hopefully what's there does a decent job of conveying why I liked it so much. But yeah, this is a really, really great end to my PS2 collection, and it's so utterly unique that I can't help but recommend it to anyone who wants to try something different.

graywolf323

okay wtf I just got this email from them

"Dear Valuable Fan,

Thank you very much for purchasing from, RosenQueen.

The charges for your order of Sakura Wars encountered an error due to inaccurate credit card information. Due to this your order has failed. If you still wish to purchase Sakura Wars, we recommend e-mailing us back or calling us back with your correct credit card information. We truly apologize for the inconveniences.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Hope to see you soon at RosenQueen.com.

Thank you very much for your continuous support.

Sincerely,

Merchant Monkeys"

except right here straight from my bank statement

03/24/2010 POS Debit - Visa Check Card - ROSENQUEEN NISA 714-540-1185 CA $119.82-

WTF

edit: for anyone wondering why my charge was $120, I preordered Last Rebellion and Sakura Wars at the same time and your order doesn't ship until everything is ready

JKTrix

I guess you can add me to the list of RosenQueen users who still hasn't had any kind of confirmation. Ordered January 6th, status is still 'Paypal Preordered'. I might not even have this money in a few days so...I hope they hurry it up a bit.

Nekobo

graywolf323 said:

Yeah, same shit happened to me, too. They charged my card last week, the same card I used to buy Mana Khemia 2 a few months ago, and then this crap. WTF.

So I just called the customer service. They said my order was still being processed, according to their database, and that I should be receiving a tracking number tomorrow. The rep said it might have been a glitch, but I'll wait and see if I get the tracking info tomorrow. I'm a little skeptical, though, since the guy sounded befuddled himself...

graywolf323

Nekobo said:
Yeah, same shit happened to me, too. They charged my card last week, the same card I used to buy Mana Khemia 2 a few months ago, and then this crap. WTF.

I replied to the email right away showing they had in fact charged me and given I was a rather pissed off at the time threatened to contest the charge with my bank if my order did not ship

oddly my order status on the site still says processing so I wonder if someone just fucked up

Rosenqueen really needs to get their act together...

Nekobo

Yeah, they always find some way to piss me off each time I order a game from them. Mostly content related, but yeah, this is still pretty stupid, too.

graywolf323

Nekobo said:
Yeah, they always find some way to piss me off each time I order a game from them. Mostly content related, but yeah, this is still pretty stupid, too.

or just do what Atlus finally did and make Amazon their primary retail outlet

kinda drooled a little at the thought of getting these special preorder deals but with Amazon dealing with the logistics instead :D

Nekobo

Free shipping and no tax would be sweet, too. The LE edition of this game is setting me back almost $60 because of tax and shipping. :/

The artbook better be worth it! (It's probably not...must avoid buying the game at Gamestop for $39.99 instead...)

RurouniZel

SamBishop said:
Just a heads-up: my review will be going up on IGN at some point soon (and my own site later when I can sort of recharge my batteries), and it's probably the longest string of barfed-up words I've done for them since... well, since the Sakura Wars preview, actually.

The short version is that I absolutely loved the game, and despite it being a really lengthy review, I still feel like I missed out on explaining everything. Hopefully what's there does a decent job of conveying why I liked it so much. But yeah, this is a really, really great end to my PS2 collection, and it's so utterly unique that I can't help but recommend it to anyone who wants to try something different.

That's great! I'm glad you liked it so much, I love the game too! :D Can't wait to get it tomorrow.

graywolf323 said:

"Dear Valuable Fan,

Thank you very much for purchasing from, RosenQueen.

The charges for your order of Sakura Wars encountered an error due to inaccurate credit card information. Due to this your order has failed. If you still wish to purchase Sakura Wars, we recommend e-mailing us back or calling us back with your correct credit card information. We truly apologize for the inconveniences.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Hope to see you soon at RosenQueen.com.

Thank you very much for your continuous support.

Sincerely,

Merchant Monkeys"

except right here straight from my bank statement

03/24/2010 POS Debit - Visa Check Card - ROSENQUEEN NISA 714-540-1185 CA $119.82-

WTF

edit: for anyone wondering why my charge was $120, I preordered Last Rebellion and Sakura Wars at the same time and your order doesn't ship until everything is ready

Yeah, that's gotta be a glitch if they charged your card no problem. Call, e-mail, complain with a screenshot of your bank statement showing the charge.

Volcynika said:
They're releasing some secret codes at the website tomorrow http://www.sakurawars.us/

"The secret codes will unlock extra images, ringtones, and more!"

Sweet, keeping an eye out!

EDIT: The IGN review is out! http://ps2.ign.com/articles/108/1080744p1.html

kiryogi

Banned
So... My friends been having issues with Rosenqueen this time around as well. But not only that. There seems to be an entire shitstorm brewing over @ gfaqs with issues on their orders. Long calls with customer service etc. To make things more interesting, someone claims NISA is near death and may explain why things are fucking up so bad with the orders and whatnot. They claim that their releases have been tanking hardcore and that's why they've resorted to licensing anime to try and stay afloat.

RurouniZel

kiryogi said:
So... My friends been having issues with Rosenqueen this time around as well. But not only that. There seems to be an entire shitstorm brewing over @ gfaqs with issues on their orders. Long calls with customer service etc. To make things more interesting, someone claims NISA is near death and may explain why things are fucking up so bad with the orders and whatnot. They claim that their releases have been tanking hardcore and that's why they've resorted to licensing anime to try and stay afloat.

I certainly hope that's not the case, but it does seem to be an issue. It's a real shame though, because this game is wonderful I'm worried these issues could sour people's experiences with the game. :(

graywolf323

kiryogi said:

I remember hearing NIS was having troubles so NISA being in trouble as well doesn't surprise me

one more reason to go like Atlus and make Amazon their official online store instead, save a lot more money

even if the Merchant Monkeys would then be out of work, better Rosenqueen shuts down than NISA shutting down :-( I want Ar Tonelico III!

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
So, I'm a little confused after reading this IGN review. Is it fair to say that this game is like Persona 4? As far as the socialization goes, at least?

SamBishop

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
So, I'm a little confused after reading this IGN review. Is it fair to say that this game is like Persona 4? As far as the socialization goes, at least?

Not at all. Persona has the odd little optional conversation or event you can do, but it's not really the core of what you do outside of battles. Sakura Wars is the literal opposite; nearly everything you say and do with people influences your relationships with them, which in turn influence how much help they are to you in battle.

Were there like 10 little conversations between fights, it might get annoying. Instead, it can be upwards of an hour before you fight someone, and you've given the opportunity to sort of futz around and check out the city, stumbling upon new threads and relationship-building opportunities all the time.

More numerous S.Links these are not.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
SamBishop said:
Not at all. Persona has the odd little optional conversation or event you can do, but it's not really the core of what you do outside of battles. Sakura Wars is the literal opposite; nearly everything you say and do with people influences your relationships with them, which in turn influence how much help they are to you in battle.

Were there like 10 little conversations between fights, it might get annoying. Instead, it can be upwards of an hour before you fight someone, and you've given the opportunity to sort of futz around and check out the city, stumbling upon new threads and relationship-building opportunities all the time.

More numerous S.Links these are not.

Ok, see, this sounds really, really awesome. I think I'm going to pick this up on Amazon. Thanks for the response.

RurouniZel

Siliconera has it's playtest up!

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/30/sakura-wars-so-long-my-love-playtest/

Siliconera said:
The majority of So Long, My Love plays out like a visual novel. You can travel from place to place on New York’s “overworld” using a third-person viewpoint like in most RPGs, but all dialogue and character interaction is presented in a visual novel style. As always, NISA have somehow managed to gather an extremely capable team of voice-actors to portray the cast. Most characters –- yes, even Rosita –- are convincingly voiced, and they each have their own unique personalities and quirks to boot. I was particularly impressed by Ratchet and Subaru, who are fairly “normal” by this game’s standards, and never sounded out of place.

This is important because you’re going to spend most of the game talking to different characters, learning about them, and living Shinjiro’s life in New York. The interesting element here is, the dialogue choices in So Long, My Love are timed. Whenever you’re required to make a choice, a metre starts to fill and you have to make a choice before it reaches the end. Sometimes, you’ll be presented with a single choice, but you’ll be allowed to control a gauge to choose the intensity with which you want to reply. I liked that the game made me think on my feet because it resulted in me role-playing my character more instinctively and closer to my own personality.

Dialogue throughout the adventure portions is very well-written, and the humour fits right into NIS America’s portfolio of games rich with innuendo and quirky characters. I’m actually having a hard time deciding which of the girls I want to date because all the ones I’m interested in – Diana, Ratchet and Gemini – are appealing in their own way. Ratchet is the hot professional one that confides in you, while Gemini is very much the loveable “buddy” girl. And Diana is irresistible in her cheerfulness and maturity. It’s great that the game gives you ample opportunity to get to know each of the girls in their dedicated chapters. Their stories are often subplots, and will probably tie into the overall narrative, as you get further into the game, too.

Each chapter is a couple hours long and features save points at regular intervals, so you never have to start over from too far behind if you have to turn your system off. There’s even a suspend save option, although, the game itself never points it out. So Long, My Love is perfect for “casual” RPG players in how streamlined it is.

It bears mentioning that this is a very character-driven game, as opposed to story-driven. The plot doesn’t try to take itself too seriously (“There’s a giant robot at the Statue of Liberty! It’s destroying everything!”), but that’s because the emphasis is deliberately on cheesy action and character development. That isn’t to say there’s absolutely no plot at all –- there is. It just takes a backseat to character development.

Once you’re on the battlefield, the basic battle system plays like a very well-disguised SRPG. Now, I should mention that I tend to dislike SRPGs in general, but I thoroughly enjoy Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love’s battles because they’re very much based around strategy and coordination with your teammates, rather than levels and stats.

The camera is in 3D and fully controllable. The number of actions each mech in your party can make is governed its “mobility metre.” Each step or action that you take depletes the mobility metre. Once it’s your turn to attack, you control your mech in realtime, and you can perform actions until the metre is depleted. At your next turn, you’ll begin with a fully-charged metre again.

As far as movement is concerned, the metre depletes on the basis of how far you move from your current position. So, for example, I could be standing at a particular spot and then, circle around the battlefield, around obstacles, and return close to my original location, and the metre would only deplete by one or two units, depending on how far I ended up from where I started. You can see points being depleted and refunded to the metre in realtime, which really helps you figure out what path of movement would be best, and which enemies you should target first to make the best use of your resources.

The moves available to you in combat consist of regular attacks (which can be chained into combos or used one at a time, depending on how you want to manage your mobility metre), healing, joint attacks with a teammate standing within range of you and the enemy (the strength of which are governed by how close you are to that particular teammate), defensive positions and special moves. In addition to this, you also have three different battle formations: flexible, offensive and defensive. Each one has an impact on your offensive and defensive aptitude in battle, and depending on the strengths of your enemies, you’ll want to switch between these accordingly.

I3rand0

My Amazon order is not scheduled for delivery till 4/6. I guess I didn't make the first shipment or Amazon isn't getting their copies until later.

Ricker

For some reason,maybe it`s the bilingual thing,these games for the Wii are nowhere to be found in the Province of Quebec...I have not seen Shiren and Fragile around here at all,if I ask EBgames and it`s not in their computer,forget about even asking them about trying to get a copy...i`m guessing the same will happen with this game...guess i`ll have to pre-order or get them from Amazon from now on,just walking in a store won`t do it seems,something I never do.

Vinnk

My Wii version is on the way. No one will ship to Japan so I had it sent to my parents in the states and they will mail it to me. Can't wait. Oh, and the banner contest prizes will be mailed out this week. Hope you guys like them.

botticus

I3rand0 said:
My Amazon order is not scheduled for delivery till 4/6. I guess I didn't make the first shipment or Amazon isn't getting their copies until later.
I preordered mine in September - still set for 4/2 delivery, but that would require it be out today, and it hasn't yet gone to Shipping Soon. I'm starting to think they're late getting their shipment.

androvsky

Got my text from Gamestop yesterday, will be picking it up this afternoon. I knew Rosenqueen was going to be trouble, it always is, but I'm surprised Amazon is having issues.

Koren

Damn, mine order is still marked at "preorder" at Rosenqueen...

graywolf323 said:
I half expect such a thing to happen... I sometimes have a shit-tastic bank, and I fear that this could happen.

Still, no news, no mail, just "preordered".

My order I think is shipping from Rosenqueen.

Kind of sucks though because I wanted to switch to the PS2 version and buy it elsewhere to save on shipping, etc...

Emailed them awhile ago telling them I wanted to cancel my order which I was told to do and they just sent me one this morning telling me it's shipping. :lol

Ramune

I too got the dreaded e-mail from Rosenqueen. Although going to the site, the PS2 version w/artbook still says (Preordered), where as the Wii version had (Failed). And I got two emails and promptly replied back to them. This hasn't happened before, so I'm a bit confused. Glad I'm not the only one here. Just hope they get things back in gear soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if NISA is now feeling the heat that NIS is experiencing, and the obvious theory of them licensing anime to help bring additional revenue in seems to be the case. I just want my Sakura Wars...and Zettai Hero....and Prinny 2....and La Pucelle PSP....and Ar Tonelico III. Oh who am I kidding, I really wouldn't want to see this company go. :(

Nekobo

So looks like that email was a glitch or whatever after all; I got an email this morning that said my order was complete, tracking number and all. Can't wait to play it this weekend!

I'd hate to be NIS America's customer service team. Probably flooded with all kinds of angry emails this morning. :x

botticus

botticus said:
I preordered mine in September - still set for 4/2 delivery, but that would require it be out today, and it hasn't yet gone to Shipping Soon. I'm starting to think they're late getting their shipment.
Shipping Soon has finally begun.

graywolf323

Nekobo said:
So looks like that email was a glitch or whatever after all; I got an email this morning that said my order was complete, tracking number and all. Can't wait to play it this weekend!

I'd hate to be NIS America's customer service team. Probably flooded with all kinds of angry emails this morning. :x

no such luck for me yet >_<

after I calmed down I sorta figured it was a glitch though for a few reasons

the fact it didn't have my order number and that for some reason I got three identical emails at the exact same second :-/ (I have placed two previous orders I had canceled due to changing payment method and then delivery address)

I actually got my copy in the mail from Rosenqueen with the artbook today even though I just got the shipping email a little while ago, so there's that at least. Artbook looks nice, not sure it's worth the extra money unless you're an obsessive collector, which I just happen to be.

graywolf323

rainking187 said:
I actually got my copy in the mail from Rosenqueen with the artbook today even though I just got the shipping email a little while ago, so there's that at least. Artbook looks nice, not sure it's worth the extra money unless you're an obsessive collector, which I just happen to be.

that sounds promising, hopefully mine will show up today or tomorrow then

oddly UPS was a cheaper shipping option than the USPS for me :lol

Nekobo

According to the tracking, I'm getting my package today. From angst to aw yeah. Go fig. Gonna brush FFXIII aside for this. :)

Hope it works out for you graywolf.

Top Bottom