• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

bon

Glad the Wii port is getting good impressions. I don't care about Japanese VO, so I'd rather keep the $10.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ricker said:
I`ll go shop around for this game today,maybe i`ll find a copy downtown...no one confirmed yet if it supports 480p and widescreen on the Wii??

Hello,

Sorry it took so long, I didn't get the opportunity to hook my Wii up to our HDTV downstairs.

Yes, I can confirm that the Wii version supports 480p widescreen. No black bars on the sides of our widescreen HDTV. Have fun! :)

RurouniZel said:
Hello,

Sorry it took so long, I didn't get the opportunity to hook my Wii up to our HDTV downstairs.

Yes, I can confirm that the Wii version supports 480p widescreen. No black bars on the sides of our widescreen HDTV. Have fun! :)

Awesome! :D

Wonder what they did with the scenes with the characters in stills talking (aren't they, I obviously haven't played it, that's the impression I got XD), wouldn't they have to draw more art to go with 16:9, or did they use borders?

And how's the framerate in both versions?

androvsky

Dedication Through Light said:
I decided to cave in a get it, I hope the game doesnt require the use of a FAQ or something, lol.

Hardly. One of my favorite things about the series is the short time limit on responses almost forces you to actually play the game rather than being tempted to hit up a FAQ when presented with a tough question. You could read ahead, like I had to with the translated walkthroughs for the earlier games, but that sucks a lot of the fun out of the game.

There's already been a couple times in the first chapter where I've deliberately picked an obviously wrong response because it was so funny.

androvsky

RurouniZel said:
Hello,

And you're sure they didn't just stretch everything? o_O

RurouniZel

androvsky said:
And you're sure they didn't just stretch everything? o_O

It's possible. I just got to the first battle, and I noticed a little slowdown compared to the PS2 version, but that's probably because I have it set to 480p (I think it was natively developed for 480i).

I also noticed that unlike the PS2 version, when characters do special attacks, the battle music stops, and then resumes once completed.

kiryogi

Banned
androvsky said:
Hardly. One of my favorite things about the series is the short time limit on responses almost forces you to actually play the game rather than being tempted to hit up a FAQ when presented with a tough question. You could read ahead, like I had to with the translated walkthroughs for the earlier games, but that sucks a lot of the fun out of the game.

There's already been a couple times in the first chapter where I've deliberately picked an obviously wrong response because it was so funny.

Doing that gimps you in battle tho XD D: Of course I fail @ doing bad responses. I thought I did something bad for Gemini and instead its +? D:

androvsky

kiryogi said:
Doing that gimps you in battle tho XD D: Of course I fail @ doing bad responses. I thought I did something bad for Gemini and instead its +? D:

I know, but I don't recall the battles ever being particularly challenging. I guess I should be careful with this one since I don't know how easy it is to abuse Protect yet. :)

kiryogi

Banned
androvsky said:
I know, but I don't recall the battles ever being particularly challenging. I guess I should be careful with this one since I don't know how easy it is to abuse Protect yet. :)

Still pretty abusive here, but like I said. The real key this time around are joint attacks.

Ramune

Rebochan said:
I'm sorry, I have to laugh at every grown man that spends all day playing video games chastising games like this for not being "mature" enough. It's like he's trying desperately to find some way to hide that he spends all day playing with toys.

I take it he thinks "maturity" is brown, gritty, and full of blood, guns, and topless women.

In fact he spent more than half the review on that tangent. "Oh my god, it's so animu and lame, but I liked it anyway...but it's not mature or anything, don't get me wrooong!"

Just admit it's a good game and acting like a coretard doesn't make you cool.

My copy is finally processed but I can't find out when its going to arrive. Damn, I have a long weekend coming up and this would have been a great time to play it. I'm not sure I'll ever do business through Rosenqueen again if they can't even be bothered to tell me why I had to wait at least a week past release when I could have gotten this through Gamestop by now.

Ha, I know what you mean. Insecurities revealed in gaming journalism? :lol
Still, it's great that Sakura Wars V is getting good ratings already. I actually wasn't expecting this at all to be perfectly honest.

Oh and I got my confirmation e-mail from Rosenqueen and it should be in when I get back from work or tomorrow. If it's tomorrow, that'll suck because I'm going to be out of town and won't get to it until Sunday evening. :(

RurouniZel

UPDATED WII BATTLE IMPRESSIONS:

I just tested the game on 480p widescreen, 480i widescreen, and 480i standard screen. The framerate is the same in all versions. Some slowdown compared to the PS2 version, but nothing game breaking.

Note that this just the first battle, and this particular battle has a LOT of smoke and fire effects compared to the others, that's probably why.

androvsky said:

Oh okay this sounds utterly enjoyable then. I think I read on the gamestop or something description, but there are multiple endings for each character? How long, is it even known, of the length of each playthrough for the characters?

RurouniZel

Oh okay this sounds utterly enjoyable then. I think I read on the gamestop or something description, but there are multiple endings for each character? How long, is it even known, of the length of each playthrough for the characters?

There are 6 endings, one for each of the 5 girls, and a somewhat hidden ending. It's made a little bit easier in that, once you get to a certain point in the game, you'll have the opportunity to chose between your top 3. As long as you save in different save slots, you won't need to go back to the very beginning for every girl, just a couple of them. However I do recommend replaying through as it's more fun to discover scenes you didn't the first time! :)

Overall length is about 25-30 hours ish from beginning to end. There is a (sort of) new game plus in that once you beat the game, you can replay the game keeping your improved battle ranking from the previous playthrough (Shinjiro starts as a rookie and earns various medals as he goes through the game).

RurouniZel

Okay so 6 endings times 25-35 hours a playthorugh is close to over 120 hours of playtime. This is totally worth the 29.99! lol

Quite. :p When I bought the LE edition from Japan a few years back, it was $140! XD Granted, it came in a huge ass box with a special controller, ear-phones etc. :p (In fact, I'm using that very controller to play this right now!! XD How nostalgic!)

Oh, forgot to mention. That somewhat hidden ending I mentioned. If I recall, it can ONLY be obtained through the new game plus (i.e. on a 2nd playthrough). There's faqs for it if you want to hunt them down.

EDIT: Found my old photos I took from when I first got this game! Ah, happy memories!!

STV001.jpg

STV004.jpg

STV005.jpg

STV007.jpg

STV008.jpg

STV009.jpg

STV010.jpg

STV011.jpg

STV012.jpg

STV013.jpg

STV014.jpg

STV015.jpg

STV016.jpg

STV017.jpg

STV018.jpg

STV019.jpg

STV020.jpg

STV021.jpg

STV025.jpg

STV027.jpg

STV029.jpg

STV030.jpg

STV032.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
RurouniZel said:
Quite. :p When I bought the LE edition from Japan a few years back, it was $140! XD Granted, it came in a huge ass box with a special controller, ear-phones etc. :p (In fact, I'm using that very controller to play this right now!! XD How nostalgic!)

Oh, forgot to mention. That somewhat hidden ending I mentioned. If I recall, it can ONLY be obtained through the new game plus (i.e. on a 2nd playthrough). There's faqs for it if you want to hunt them down.
This?
PA.32023.006.jpg

Do want. ):

RurouniZel

InfiniteNine said:
This?
http://image1.play-asia.com/350/PA.32023.006.jpg[IMG]
Do want. ):[/QUOTE]

It's called the Original Sound Controller, maybe you'll find it on eBay some day. I posted my photos above. ^^

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Is there any good FAQS for this game? I'm on RoF and I kinda want to play this with out much thinking, I have FF13 and ME2 to play too. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
RurouniZel said:

Your collection will never compare to mine. Actually, I'm confident I have the most extensive ST collection on NeoGAF :D That said, yes, the
Rachette ending
is newgame+ only.

Teehee, on side note, going to get Mayumi Tanaka to sign my Shin Saiyuki :D

Playing the PS2 version (Japanese Disc) on an MGS4 Bundle 80 gig PS3. I'm just over an hour in and the good news is that it looks absolutely gorgeous at 1080p on my 52" plasma screen. The bad news is that the audio in the animated cutscenes is really choppy and very slightly out of sync sometimes. This is a big problem being that there are a lot of cutscenes. I really don't want to play this on my PS2. Here's hoping for a fix, but with Sony not giving a damn about BC anymore, it's highly doubtful.

Would anyone care to post detailed pictures of the PS2 retail package? I'll be renting a copy from Gamefly, I'm not sure if I'll "keep it" form them or purchase a copy from Amazon. Was there only one PS2 version made? The "premium" version with artbook, poster, and JP voice over version? Thank you!:D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm eyeing a Sakura Taisen Complete Box Collection for the Dreamcast on eBay now, haha. I should probably wait until I play this first. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
Would anyone care to post detailed pictures of the PS2 retail package? I'll be renting a copy from Gamefly, I'm not sure if I'll "keep it" form them or purchase a copy from Amazon. Was there only one PS2 version made? The "premium" version with artbook, poster, and JP voice over version? Thank you!:D
Correct!

Infinitenine: Do it! If you liked 5, 1 and 3 are leaps beyond :D

andymcc

Banned
kiryogi said:
Your collection will never compare to mine. Actually, I'm confident I have the most extensive ST collection on NeoGAF :D

i'm pretty sure he has framed physical signatures of the creator/producer of the series, so he'll probably still win.

finally got the game, played for a few hours. it's really nostalgic, i haven't played through a Sakura Wars game since the (incredibly underwhelming) Sakura Wars 4. I'm uncertain as to why I never picked up a Japanese language SW5, but I'm really enjoying it.

kiryogi

Banned
andymcc said:
i'm pretty sure he has framed physical signatures of the creator/producer of the series, so he'll probably still win.

finally got the game, played for a few hours. it's really nostalgic, i haven't played through a Sakura Wars game since the (incredibly underwhelming) Sakura Wars 4. I'm uncertain as to why I never picked up a Japanese language SW5, but I'm really enjoying it.

Does he? I don't recall that.

kiryogi

Banned
Fuck got Subaru killed in the boss portion of Chapter 2. Just turned off my PS3. Can't settle for that. :lol Sigh. I was determined to clear at least one chapter tonight too. D: Maybe I'll try again.

kiryogi

Banned
Got it right this time. Up to chapter 3 now! Gotta say I really love this dub and honestly really Laura Bailey's performance as Gemini. That accent especially. Speaking of accents, Rikaritta has an accent too. Tho her actress seems to drop it sometimes, it's pretty consistant for the most part.

RurouniZel

andymcc said:

One of my pride and joys.

videogamesetup07.jpg

That said my ST collection is definitely missing some pieces that I hope to find next time I'm in Japan. ^^

I'm gonna have to break open my wallet and get this. Even though it's technically not the final PS2 game, it appears at least to be it's swan song. Plus the game looks really interesting. I have to admit, I had to read up on it a bit because my exposure to the series up until now has been nil.

And it's probably not a good idea to dawdle because I have a feeling this ain't gonna be in stores for too long.

kiryogi

Banned
RurouniZel said:
One of my pride and joys.

videogamesetup07.jpg

That said my ST collection is definitely missing some pieces that I hope to find next time I'm in Japan. ^^

D:

:O

I'm still positive I outclass you in sheer number and other things. XD

RurouniZel

kiryogi said:
D:

:O

I'm still positive I outclass you in sheer number and other things. XD

You probably do. :p I don't have the Paris version of Sakura Taisen online, and I'm missing a number of the Live-Action shows.

I also never did get the LE for 1 and 3 D:

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ah, I envy people with big collections of something. I might jump in on the Sakura Taisen collecting wagon and get the Complete Box Collection if V impresses me.

This game is a lot shorter then I expected. According to a FAQ I looked at there's only eight chapters, I'm about 12 hours in and I just beat chapter 6.

graywolf323

InfiniteNine said:
Looks like the game is already Austin according to the tracking! I got a really good feeling about this game.

mine only just left ALISO VIEJO, CA last night :-( they've already rescheduled my delivery date and pushed it back one day >_< it only just shipped damn it

Rebochan

Mine left Anaheim CA last night, but I have no information on a possible delivery date. I even paid for priority :(

I'm just gonna keep working on Perfect Dark then. Le sigh.

chifanpoe

I wonder how well this game will sell. Anything think it will sell over 40,000 unit between both the PS2 and Wii in the US?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, from what I gather:

PS2 - 480i, 4:3 only, japanese and english voiceover
Wii - 480p, 16:9, only english VO and worse frame rate

Is the Wii 16:9 native, zoomed, or stretched?

Any other differences?

FlyinJ said:
So, from what I gather:

PS2 - 480i, 4:3 only, japanese and english voiceover
Wii - 480p, 16:9, only english VO and worse frame rate

Any other differences?

What Wii version has framerate issues? They dont cripple the game? Did I make a mistake buying this?!

androvsky

What Wii version has framerate issues? They dont cripple the game? Did I make a mistake buying this?!

RurouniZel sampled the Wii version, sounds like the issues are minor. There's been reviews of the Wii version, I don't recall anyone having any technical complaints.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I read there are issues using the classic controller on the wii? Such as you have to use the remote to perform some functions?

RurouniZel

androvsky said:
RurouniZel sampled the Wii version, sounds like the issues are minor. There's been reviews of the Wii version, I don't recall anyone having any technical complaints.

What I noticed was some slowdown in the 1st battle where there's a lot of smoke and fire effects happening. And even then, during the battle itself there was next to no slowdown, it was a couple of shots in the cutscenes where it slowed down a little. Again, nothing game breaking. It's the kind of thing you probably wouldn't notice unless you'd JUST played the PS2 version earlier (like I did).

Otherwise, I have no complaints from the technical side.

FlyinJ said:

Putting them side by side, I'd say stretched, but only slightly. They did adjust it somewhat (I noticed there's a little more space between the menu and the edge of the screen than there is on a standard TV).

FlyinJ said:
I read there are issues using the classic controller on the wii? Such as you have to use the remote to perform some functions?

The only time you need to use the remote if I recall correctly is during the Adventure portions where you're analyzing bits of background or a character. Thankfully since the Classic Controller is always connected to the Wii Remote it's not like it'll ever be far away.

chifanpoe said:
I wonder how well this game will sell. Anything think it will sell over 40,000 unit between both the PS2 and Wii in the US?

It's possible if word of mouth and good reviews get around. I'd be most pleased if it did.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The PS2 480i issue shouldn't matter if you play it upscaled on a PS3, right? P4 looked pretty good, after all.

RurouniZel

XiaNaphryz said:
The PS2 480i issue shouldn't matter if you play it upscaled on a PS3, right? P4 looked pretty good, after all.

Nope. It actually looks great on a PS3 since the artwork was already pretty high res and clean in the original. :)

Hero of Legend said:
I'm sure it's obviously no, but are there any graphical touch-ups in the Wii version? And is the framerate averaging at 30 or 60 frames?

Not that I could see, no. I'm not sure if it's 30 or 60 FPS, but it's smooth. I'll lean toward 30 to be safe and let someone who knows better say if its 30 or 60.

androvsky

XiaNaphryz said:

Sakura Wars looks great upscaled.

Well, okay, it's mainly the character portraits that shine, a lot of the backgrounds look chunky. Plus, Sega's always had an odd obsession in this series with vertical pans at just the right speed to destroy any attempts at deinterlacing. Even then the PS3 handles it pretty well.

One complaint that Sam Bishop mentioned in his IGN review is that the game switches graphical modes on the PS2 on occasion, which is really weird. If you're playing on a PS3 on an HDTV, it'll cause a resync. My TV catches up pretty fast, and even if yours doesn't, Sam said that you probably won't miss anything important.

Durante

Has anyone tried the game in the latest PCSX2? I'd much prefer playing using that compared to setting my PS2 up again and suffering through 480i.

Top Bottom